So Planetside 2 is free

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:07 pm UTC

I had heard good things from some of the people in the DUST 514 beta forums, and over the holiday break I picked it up because, as the topic says, it's free to play.

It's...pretty awesome. The scale of the game boggles the mind. Without even joining a squad one can find themselves, more or less accidentally, in part of an assault consisting of dozens of troops including an armor column with an air battle raging overhead.

There are RPG elements in the form of Cert Points which seem to come about once every 100 to 200 experience points (a kill is about 100 points, capturing installations can be as much as 1000) which are used to unlock improvements for weapons and vehicles such as specialized armor or new weapons.

It's somewhat wanting in terms of new player experience. The first thing you do upon logging into a new character is get dropped into an area where there is currently fighting. As someone who is bad at First Person Shooters that didn't end well for me. After that I spent twenty minutes wandering around on the ridiculously large map because I didn't know where to spawn in to get into anything interesting.

That said, I've been having an absolute blast. I would definitely recommend it. If you want to join me I'm on the Waterson server playing for NC (whom I typically call "the blue guys") and my name in-game is "JasonBinFaisalAlAlasabe".
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5099
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Xeio » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:09 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:It's somewhat wanting in terms of new player experience. The first thing you do upon logging into a new character is get dropped into an area where there is currently fighting. As someone who is bad at First Person Shooters that didn't end well for me.
I think my first spawn is the most kills I've gotten in any life. :P Especially since on further lives it's hard to know what you're supposed to be doing other than killing people.

I tried playing around with air vehicles, I'm terrible at them, I keep wanting to use down to go up because I expect air vehicles to reverse the up/down movement! And I never could find a tank spawner when I actually wanted a heavy vehicle. I'd guess one of those icons on the minimap is important but the lack of explanations makes me sad.

I'm also kinda tempted to just buy the AA upgrade for the heavy. I assume those are permanent once unlocked, they just might cost deployment points or something to spawn? I need to find a planetside 2 wiki before I play again.

Definitely agree it's a pretty good objective shooter, especially given it's free to play, but it could use at least a brief tutorial or something.

User avatar
bluejello
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:24 pm UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby bluejello » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:36 am UTC

the upgrades are permanent, but you need to equip them before you use them, at least in the beta that is how it worked. Some upgrades do take the same slot, such as the armor ones, so keep that in consideration.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

User avatar
Kulantan
Posts: 999
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 9:24 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere witty

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Kulantan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:18 am UTC

Xeio wrote:I tried playing around with air vehicles, I'm terrible at them, I keep wanting to use down to go up because I expect air vehicles to reverse the up/down movement!

You can change that in the options menu.
Xeio wrote:And I never could find a tank spawner when I actually wanted a heavy vehicle. I'd guess one of those icons on the minimap is important but the lack of explanations makes me sad.

The vehicle spawners look like sunderer with a box around them on the mini-map. The important thing to note is that when you choose a base to spawn at it will tell you the vehicles that can be spawned there in the bottom of the spawn select box.
Xeio wrote:I'm also kinda tempted to just buy the AA upgrade for the heavy. I assume those are permanent once unlocked, they just might cost deployment points or something to spawn?

It is permanent and I don't think it costs infantry points to spawn it or its rockets.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 835
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby DaBigCheez » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:46 pm UTC

The only things that cost resources to spawn, AFAIK, are vehicles, aircraft, MAX suits, grenades, and C4. Your basic weapons (gun, pistol, tool (including rocket launcher), engy ammoboxes, engy turret) are all pullable at will for no cost once you have them unlocked.

It does take a little bit to get used to what all the icons on the map stand for; it's also definitely a game that's better to play with other people than solo :)
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:18 pm UTC

It's definitely vital. I play with some of the guys from my old EVE corp. Hence me putting my in-game name, server, and faction in the OP.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5099
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Xeio » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:42 am UTC

So you can't move characters between servers? Does that mean purchased things are also character specific rather than account specific?

These seem to be some ok tutorials or at least introductions, and the wiki itself not too bad, though it seems very limited as of yet.

User avatar
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby eculc » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:26 am UTC

unfortunately yes, purchased items are character- (and therefore server-) specific, which is one of the most reasonable complaints about the game I've seen.

"AA is OP!"
"Air is OP"
"This game is Pay2Win!"

...the list goes on of random rage threads in the forums, which is proably scaring away some people because they haven't played it yet and wanted to see how balanced the game is (tip: NEVER look at the game's dedicated forums for that kind of information, it'll all be clouded with rage threads)
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5099
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Xeio » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:20 am UTC

eculc wrote:unfortunately yes, purchased items are character- (and therefore server-) specific, which is one of the most reasonable complaints about the game I've seen.
Yea, that's really stupid. I could (almost) see it not transferring for F2P stuff, if they really want to punish people for wanting to have multiple characters, but even then, why can't characters hop between servers? There doesn't seem to be any reason for that...
eculc wrote:"This game is Pay2Win!"
Don't underestimate the power of... SKINS! Muhahahahah.

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:00 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Yea, that's really stupid. I could (almost) see it not transferring for F2P stuff, if they really want to punish people for wanting to have multiple characters, but even then, why can't characters hop between servers? There doesn't seem to be any reason for that...

I googled it and found this thread. I guess that they're planning on implementing it in the future.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

User avatar
Koa
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:20 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Koa » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:34 pm UTC

I can't decide whether or not I like this game. It's very buggy and poorly optimized, gameplay is generally a clusterfuck of an unending tug-of-war, some fortresses have ridiculous defenders advantage due to their layout, the f2p model is distasteful and I doubt I'd ever spend money on it (despite putting money towards other f2p games)... But I'm still playing it and it's still kind of fun. I really like the overall concept of the game and the gameplay is there just enough to overpower the issues. It's like the more I play the more issues and bugs I find, but the more little neat things and fun moments I find too, and I'm constantly on the fence while I continue to play nonetheless.

Anyway, just some advice, pick up the nano-weave suit for all of the infantry classes you play. It costs 1 cert and gives you +10% hp.

liveboy21
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:33 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby liveboy21 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:37 am UTC

I just got this game and I've had a very good experience with it so far. Unfortunately, a lot of that experience also had its bad points but I think that the massive scale and vision for the game is incredible and overshadows the flaws.

The bad points are that it's hard to tell what to do. The general premise is that you're meant to go around killing people and capturing stuff but they don't make it clear what stuff you should capture. Some points are surrounded by mysterious shields that block movement and bullets and I still have no idea what to do to remove those shields. Occasionally, I find a generator and blow it up but I have no idea whether I was meant to blow it up and whether it had an effect and what that effect is. The only indication that I have that I did a good thing was that I got 200 xp :) .

There are also terminals that spawn vehicles, change character class or spawn aircraft but I have no idea what I'm meant to do to them. They constantly change ownership for reasons that I can't understand and the only thing that I know right now is that shooting them to death when they are not mine gives me only 20 xp.

A group of us managed to make a continent completely blue except for the main structures for the opposing factions. When we attempted to approach the remaining areas, the game suddenly told us to 'return to the combat zone' within 9 seconds, even though we were being bombarded by tanks coming from that area. I still have no idea what I need to do in order to gain access to that area.

The good points are that there are always battles avaliable and that there is a great sense of accomplishment with each objective completed. This makes the game worthwhile in my opinion, despite the flaws.

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:50 am UTC

From what little I've managed to work out about the game.
liveboy21 wrote:Some points are surrounded by mysterious shields that block movement and bullets and I still have no idea what to do to remove those shields. Occasionally, I find a generator and blow it up but I have no idea whether I was meant to blow it up and whether it had an effect and what that effect is. The only indication that I have that I did a good thing was that I got 200 xp :) .

The shields are indeed powered by the generators. Some shields require destruction of multiple generators. There are really only a few types of bases, and all the ones of the same type seem to have the same layout.
liveboy21 wrote:There are also terminals that spawn vehicles, change character class or spawn aircraft but I have no idea what I'm meant to do to them. They constantly change ownership for reasons that I can't understand and the only thing that I know right now is that shooting them to death when they are not mine gives me only 20 xp.

Which ones exist at a base and what they're able to spawn vary with the installation type. They will be usable by whatever faction controls the installation unless hacked by an infiltrator.
liveboy21 wrote:A group of us managed to make a continent completely blue except for the main structures for the opposing factions. When we attempted to approach the remaining areas, the game suddenly told us to 'return to the combat zone' within 9 seconds, even though we were being bombarded by tanks coming from that area. I still have no idea what I need to do in order to gain access to that area.

The warpgate is always controlled by its faction, you can't attack and take it. It's their spawn area.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

User avatar
Koa
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:20 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Koa » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:59 am UTC

Well, I can answer those. I didn't find them too hard to intuit but it did take about 5 hours to figure them out.

What you should capture is everything. Some places have benefits once captured that you can see by hovering the mouse over that area of the map. Usually it's just about forwarding the map and capturing further infantry and vehicle spawns though.

There's different types of shields. Some block all vehicles from passing through (though sunderers can pass with an upgrade) which can be taken out by destroying the generator (which is what the generator powers). Some shields can't be broken until you take the location (progress is on the left side of the screen). Sometimes it can take a while and enemies will keep spawning behind the shields, especially when no one sits on the damn capture nodes. The shields protecting each faction's warpgates on the continent can't be broken at all. If there's nothing left to capture you can always go to another continent at a terminal at your main warpgate.

Terminals change hands when the location is captured. Think of them more as an interface to use the location's resources rather than an entity of their own. Sometimes it can take a few minutes to capture, and again, you can see the capture progress and if anyone is sitting on a capture node on the left of the screen. The nodes are marked as [A] and if there's more nodes for one location they're consecutively [B], [C], etc.

User avatar
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby eculc » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:09 pm UTC

I wish the infiltrator was more useful for...y'know, infiltrating. We can't shoot from cloak anyways, why not extend it a bit (Read: a lot)? Either that, or actually *make* cloak turn us invisible, instead of turning us into a distinctly infiltrator-shaped mostly visible shimmer. The cloak from Halo games or TF2 comes to mind.

While you're at it, give us an ability to go through base shields (not spawn shields). That could be IMMENSELY helpful in taking tech plants, since sneaking in before the main attack and disabling the generators could make taking said tech plant much easier.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:14 pm UTC

I think that's what light assaults are for.

Yeah, assaults do the infiltrating. Because why not?

Also, there may be a new vehicle coming.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

User avatar
Koa
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:20 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Koa » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:15 pm UTC

Infiltrators seem somewhat useless at the moment. Sniping is an inefficient use of time because of the poor netcode and general server strain. Maybe if you had the most expensive bolt sniper rifle it wouldn't be so bad to one or two-shot enemies, but the cost is unrealistic unless you're willing to 'pay2win'. Then the cloak effect is too pronounced for anyone to be fooled by it, and hacking terminals isn't that useful most of the time.

EmptySet
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby EmptySet » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:20 pm UTC

Koa wrote:Infiltrators seem somewhat useless at the moment. Sniping is an inefficient use of time because of the poor netcode and general server strain. Maybe if you had the most expensive bolt sniper rifle it wouldn't be so bad to one or two-shot enemies, but the cost is unrealistic unless you're willing to 'pay2win'. Then the cloak effect is too pronounced for anyone to be fooled by it, and hacking terminals isn't that useful most of the time.


I despise infiltrators. Playing as them, and playing against them. Playing as them is no fun because, as you say, they seem pretty useless right now. Playing against them is no fun because most of them like to just sit so far away my weapons can't do anything and spray semi-auto sniper fire hoping for lucky hits. I'd like to see them given some more close range options, and maybe an ability which trades their "invisibility" for the ability to walk through enemy shields, so they can actually infiltrate instead of sitting on a mountain two kilometres away taking potshots. As it is Light Assault is the real infiltrator class.

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby BlackSails » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:11 am UTC

Easy fix - give infiltrators shotguns to chose from

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 835
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby DaBigCheez » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:19 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:Easy fix - give infiltrators shotguns to chose from

They did during beta. It was a bit too much.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Nylonathatep » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:11 pm UTC

I started playing this game a week ago and have been mostly playing the infiltrators class

Infiltrators are like Rogues in WoW Vanilla; very hard to balance because of stealth. You gave them too much and they'll be all overpowering. Give them too little and they'll be weaker then tissue paper.

I think each class has a unique, well defined role and Infiltrator definately have their niche. You can't rush into a close up fight as Infiltrator and expect to survive. From afar you have to really aim well for the head because it has to be one-shot/one-kill. I highly favor the starter bolt rifle because It's extremely accruate even at far range, (no bullet dropping off), and it's pretty powerful but you'll still need to get a headshot. So far I think the key to Infiltrators are positioning and situational awareness. One should play them excately like how you play a sniper in real life.

1) They serve as excellent scout. You should be calling out incoming enemies (not just press Q, but actually calling out the enemy type and direction they are coming from in yell)The Motion Sensor is also helpful in that regard.

2) You can get a lot of kills safely at a distance if you position yourself well. 2 examples: I got deploy right on top of a very high rock formation in Indar. There was no way down because it's so high so any jump would be my death. I was NC and there's a scrimage between TR and Vanu just right below me. So I stood on the high ground and headshotting while they are busy dealing with each other. Engineers, medics, and enemy snipers are easy picking because they stand still so you can have an easier time headshotting them. You can also cherrypick wounded enemies to finish them off. Pick them off when they are spawning from sunders is also fun. I was having a 10-12 kill streak, out of ammo, until some TR was pissed off enough to get a flier to hunt me down.

Same day, TR was pushing at Copper Ravine Station right at our warpgate. I ran all the way up to the cliffside looking down as TR was pushing down the narrow valley. Another easy picking for me as I went for guys hiding in cover. had about 18 or so kills there before they are driven back. When I finally look up there's like 8 or so other guys looking down, doing the same thing I did. It's so funny because It looked like mass ice fishing.

3) Flanking and Countersniping is very easy when you got stealth. If your enemies are camped behind terrain and your allies are pinning them down in a firefight, just go off to the side on higher ground, jumping cover to cover while stealth, and then snipe them off from behind if possible. I also just stealth and run in with my pistol if the situation is applicable and either pistol them or knife them from behind.

4) There's definately situation where I'll find infiltrator useless. Vs armor, or large base assault. I'll usually switch to heavy assault or light assault for that depending on situation. You can't really have a class that's good for everything. That's why it's important to understand the situation and switch to a class that'll help the most. Still, I have had good time where I overload the shield generator, stealth and wait for an enemy engineer to repair and shoot them in the head. I think you should get bouncing betty for instances like these.



The only thing that boggles my mind is that gernade seems very ineffective vs tanks and enemy armor. I would've though that throwing a gernade right under a tank would at least do some damage.

P.S Vanu weapons seem so powerful... They are so powerful that even a few shots took me right out, and it looked like they got no recoil because even a machine guy can hit me from 50 ft. Plus they got awesome glow effect... I cry IMBA!

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 835
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby DaBigCheez » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:14 pm UTC

Sadly, the "default bolt sniper" is only a thing for the NC - the rest of us have to unlock a bolt-action sniper to get anything capable of 1-shot-1-kill even with a headshot. If it's anything like the Vanu bolt-actions, there is a bullet drop but it's only noticable at very extreme ranges.

Note that spotting enemies with Q is audible to enemies in the area as well, so it can give away your position if you're trying to be sneaky.

With respect to grenades, for damaging tanks without using a rocket launcher you really want C4 (Light Assault, possibly Infil/HA?) or anti-tank mines (Engineering). I believe one C4 on the underside can destroy a Lightning, and two to the rear armor can take out a main battle tank. (And apparently it sticks to vehicles, so I saw a Youtube clip of someone putting a C4 on the hood of his Flash and bailing out as he drives it into an enemy sunderer, jumpjetting up and managing to stick one to a hostile fighter, etc. for great justice)

Gonna go ahead and call grass-is-greener on the Vanu weapons thing ;) More accurate, no bullet drop and faster projectile speed does make them more reliable at range, but from the other side it doesn't feel like they do as much per shot as the NC weapons. And they definitely aren't TR-style hipfire bullet-hoses. I like the balance they strike, but I don't think raw power is their forte. (Aside from scoring direct hits with the Lasher, which looks like it stings, but the projectile speed is so slow that it's next to useless beyond about 75-100 ft - and at point-blank the backlash AoE hurts you too!)

Confirming that the glow effect on the rocket trails is awesome.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:56 pm UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:Note that spotting enemies with Q is audible to enemies in the area as well, so it can give away your position if you're trying to be sneaky.

But, on the plus side, you get 10 xp if someone kills the guy you spotted.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

EmptySet
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby EmptySet » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:34 am UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:With respect to grenades, for damaging tanks without using a rocket launcher you really want C4 (Light Assault, possibly Infil/HA?) or anti-tank mines (Engineering). I believe one C4 on the underside can destroy a Lightning, and two to the rear armor can take out a main battle tank. (And apparently it sticks to vehicles, so I saw a Youtube clip of someone putting a C4 on the hood of his Flash and bailing out as he drives it into an enemy sunderer, jumpjetting up and managing to stick one to a hostile fighter, etc. for great justice)


I'm pretty sure Heavy Assaults can get both C4 and anti-vehicle grenades, but of course they already have a rocket launcher. If you want to blow up vehicles without being HA, Light Assault with C4 is probably your best bet.

Nylonathatep wrote:The only thing that boggles my mind is that gernade seems very ineffective vs tanks and enemy armor. I would've though that throwing a gernade right under a tank would at least do some damage.


It's not that strange. A fragmentation grenade is designed to throw little bits of shrapnel about, which don't have enough momentum to penetrate heavy armour.

DaBigCheez wrote:Gonna go ahead and call grass-is-greener on the Vanu weapons thing ;) More accurate, no bullet drop and faster projectile speed does make them more reliable at range, but from the other side it doesn't feel like they do as much per shot as the NC weapons. And they definitely aren't TR-style hipfire bullet-hoses. I like the balance they strike, but I don't think raw power is their forte. (Aside from scoring direct hits with the Lasher, which looks like it stings, but the projectile speed is so slow that it's next to useless beyond about 75-100 ft - and at point-blank the backlash AoE hurts you too!)


Likewise. I'm playing VS and it often feels like I can plow twenty rounds into an NC player, only to be killed in two shots. It may just be that everyone feels like their opponents kill them faster due to lag compensation - perhaps your enemy has already shot you a couple of times on their screen before they're actually shown firing on yours.

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 835
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm UTC

Rumors of more weapons being added on Thursday (more snipers and carbines?), then another set next week with more Anti-Vehicular/AA weaponry. Crystal ball indicates that it may include the Lancer. If so, I will be overjoyed, especially if it includes anything like the PS1 Lancer sound effect.

Fwip-PEW! Fwip-PEW! Fwip-PEW!
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
NecklaceOfShadow
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 7:40 pm UTC
Location: In the alchemical aether
Contact:

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:37 am UTC

For anyone curious, someone on the Planetside reddit's assembled a damage and TTK listing for every weapon in the game.

Surprising findings? That apparently all the sniper guns are pretty evenly matched.

Thorbinator wrote:The NC have the best overall pistol as their default, the TR pistol is best if you are very good at compensating for recoil. The VS have the best carbine as an upgrade, NC has best default. The TR have the best default Assault Rifle, The VS have the best overall Assault Rifle. Everyone gets access to the 200ms shotgun, so that’s a tie. TR wins best Heavy AI special with the MCG, but that's not saying much, and the jackhammer is good up close. VS has best LMG as default, TR second best with the MSW-R. Snipers/SMGs/Scout rifles are all tied.

I actually had to get a pad out to write out who wins which category to compare overall faction balance. I Gave 2 points for winning the category, 1 for getting second place. TR Wins with 6 points, VS is next with 5, and NC has 4.

Overall, the game is very balanced, NC could use a tiny buff. If you whine on the forums with this conclusion/my info/calcs I will castrate you. Don't play the anecdotal forum [b********,] present the numbers.


DaBigCheez wrote:The only things that cost resources to spawn, AFAIK, are vehicles, aircraft, MAX suits, grenades, and C4. Your basic weapons (gun, pistol, tool (including rocket launcher), engy ammoboxes, engy turret) are all pullable at will for no cost once you have them unlocked.


Also medical and restoration kits.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

User avatar
Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:39 pm UTC

Been saving up Cert points so I can get my SAS-R... I should have enough so I can get that tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Also We did some pretty mean things to TR on my server last night... Basically made a path through Their territory and surround their warpgate in their continent, thereby cutting them off from the rest of their territory and effective their income :)

P.S. I also love how they seperate the sniper rifle section on the excel spreadsheet with "Snipers Operate differently Hit their heads"! lol.

P.P.S Actually you should always aim for their heads. That's how I win most of my pistol vs semi-auto fights :) That and circle-strifing.

Update: SAS-R Sucks... it tries to be both sniper pistol and bolt rifle, but it got the worse of both world. Still bolt action so you lost sight when you reload, the range is great but the farthest scope you can get with it is a 4X so your accuracy at distance is very limited.... you still need a headshot to kill someone. At close range you'll just get killed as a sniper.

User avatar
Cobramaster
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:31 pm UTC
Location: Georgia Southern University Department of Chemistry, and Department of Biology.

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Cobramaster » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:48 pm UTC

I've been playing this for a week or so and I have a few things to say:
The TR default sniper rifle is a POS, spending the $2.50 to buy the cheapo bolt action rifle will improve your sniping experience greatly.
You are also wise to use your certs on IR optics for your ground attack craft allowing you to spot enemies with ease.
A galaxy drop full of MAX suits will turn the tide of a battle.
I also have to say that TR has the most advantage from a gameplay perspective but at least on the Soltek server they are outnumbered by both Vanu and NC so it balances out even though we did take Amerish from the NC the other night.
And last but not least my initial spawn was directly in front of a speeding lightning so my first life was to short to move.
SlyReaper wrote:Did you never notice the etymological link between "tyrannosaur" and "tyrant"? 1% of the dinosaurs had 99% of the prey. Occupy Pangaea.

User avatar
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby eculc » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:18 am UTC

I think I'm doing something wrong as heavy. every time I try and use the shield, I get the cool glow-effect and the meter starts to drop but it doesn't seem to help much.

Light's jetpack is incredibly useful, until it shorts out on me and stops working, which happened to me earlier today and has remained so upon respawning. I'm hoping it'll come back the next time I log in.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

User avatar
Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Nylonathatep » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:11 am UTC

eculc wrote:I think I'm doing something wrong as heavy. every time I try and use the shield, I get the cool glow-effect and the meter starts to drop but it doesn't seem to help much.

Light's jetpack is incredibly useful, until it shorts out on me and stops working, which happened to me earlier today and has remained so upon respawning. I'm hoping it'll come back the next time I log in.


http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Resist_Shield

Resist Shield is a certification of the Heavy Assault class. The 'Resist Shield replaces the standard shield generator for the Heavy Assault class. The Resist Shield does not stop damage, but rather mitigates the damage while active. Taking damage does not deplete the shield, and it can remain active as long as the power source allows.


Also according to this youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCp3EsAIfWs

One shoot of TR assault rifle does 5.75 damage. When Resist Shield activate, Heavy Assault only take 2 damage. In additional, one grenades can not kill a Resist Shield HA, it only do 18


I think it has to do with playstyle... just because you are a heavy doesn't mean you are invulnerable. You need to turn on the shield when you anticipate that you'll be taking damage, You can't turn on the shield when people already got a few shots at you and expect to live.

Buying HP upgrades for suits helps... However I'll rather use flak armor to protect myself from explosives instead as heavy since I switch to Heavy Assault when I assume I'll be going against Tanks/Turret/Air. Since it looks like the shield make you take 1/3 of the damage you are suppose to take, it'll make taking hits from Tank-fire more survivable.

Trying to save up 1000 cert pts to get A Shadow sniper rifle. It's pretty hard especially when I just blew 200 cert pts for the bouncing betty. It's still worth it considering how useful it is. Free kills appears out of nowhere when I use the betty near generators or in doorways.

User avatar
Cobramaster
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:31 pm UTC
Location: Georgia Southern University Department of Chemistry, and Department of Biology.

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Cobramaster » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:08 pm UTC

It may just be the player set on Soltech but has anyone else experience the NC being little more than a nuisance, I see an NC assault and I don't think ok this might be tough I think cool I'll get at least a dozen kills from this. When the Vanu attacks reinforcements are called and a full scale battle ensues, but when a squad can hold an objective against the NC using decent tactics.
SlyReaper wrote:Did you never notice the etymological link between "tyrannosaur" and "tyrant"? 1% of the dinosaurs had 99% of the prey. Occupy Pangaea.

User avatar
Koa
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:20 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Koa » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:53 am UTC

Server and continent. You might find that NC owns the majority of the other two continents and thus don't have any presence on the third. It's almost always just a matter of numbers.

Edit: Just realized I have a vanu on that server. I'd guess you're mostly on Esamir since NC is pushed back to their warpgate there but have a decent presence on the other continents.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby emceng » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:28 pm UTC

How resource intensive is this game? I'd like to play it, but my computer is 4-5 years old. I'm just worried I'll have issues with lag/performance that will make the game not fun.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby eculc » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:53 pm UTC

Koa wrote:Server and continent. You might find that NC owns the majority of the other two continents and thus don't have any presence on the third. It's almost always just a matter of numbers.

Edit: Just realized I have a vanu on that server. I'd guess you're mostly on Esamir since NC is pushed back to their warpgate there but have a decent presence on the other continents.

On watson it's much the same - the TR has completely taken over Amerish and as a result nobody plays on it...except TR it seems whenever anyone tries to push out of the warpgate a bit.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

emceng wrote:How resource intensive is this game? I'd like to play it, but my computer is 4-5 years old. I'm just worried I'll have issues with lag/performance that will make the game not fun.

The game's free-to-play. Give it a download and see how it runs.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

User avatar
Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Nylonathatep » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:40 pm UTC

emceng wrote:How resource intensive is this game? I'd like to play it, but my computer is 4-5 years old. I'm just worried I'll have issues with lag/performance that will make the game not fun.



System requirements
Microsoft Windows

Minimum requirements:[2]
Windows XP
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 or AMD Phenom II X2 Processor
4 GB RAM
15 GB free disk space
Broadband Internet connection for download-based installation
nVidia GeForce 8600 series or higher / AMD or ATI 4850 series
DirectX 9.0-compatible sound card


Recommended:[2]
Windows 7
Intel i5 processor or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 Processor
6 GB RAM
15 GB free disk space
Broadband Internet connection for download-based installation
nVidia GeForce 540 or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher
DirectX 9.0-compatible sound card


From My experience, Planetside 2 is a resource hog. You can switch the settings down and there's a few options that'll reduce the system stress. The main concern for Planetside 2 is mainly lag.

Vanu dominates on Esamir on our server... 24/7 they control the map and neither the TR or NC can break out of their Warpgate and hold for an hour. TR and NC takes turn dominating Indar and Amerish... NC have a huge advantage holding at Stronghold due to terrain. Hardly anyone goes to Amerish so organized platoons takes turn rolling over each other and logs off.

I'm NC on Jaeger. From what I'm seeing Vanu is extremely organized in their assault. They'll advance with their superior Air force to take out enemy air, and then our tanks and sunders. Then the Vanu armor comes in and roll the personale that's defending... keeping us away from our cap point... and at the same time their infantry will just come in and cap. They also seems to know where to park their sunders safely... and they constantly spot for their allies and looking out for each other. They'll also coordinate their attack so perfectly that It makes me want to switch. It's scary efficient.

Meanwhile If I'm repairing Generators, people behind me will suddenly have ADD and ran away leading me all by myself as a Vanu will show up and kill me from behind. I'll be sniping from a relatively unexpected position and then an engineer will start to place a turret right beside me and start shooting at the tanks with the turret... leading both of us to die of a blazing shelling death. We park our sunders as the worst place possible, leading to people spawning and then dying when enemy air rain missiles on top of them. No one on our team press Q when they see a target leading to Vanu to just run by them and then getting shot from behind.

TR on our servers are equally as clueless as us thou... it's usually a fun infantry fight between NC and TR.

Video of the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t4QkN1jIGk

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5099
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Xeio » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:59 pm UTC

Wow, yea, haven't seen anything so blatant as that yet. I must have been lucky not to run into any (obvious, anyway) cheaters as of yet.

As for server pops, Jaeger seems pretty balanced in general. I've only seen one time that any one faction had majority control over all 3 continents. Though I think NC tends to control less territory for whatever reason (or it's just I haven't been strictly paying attention).

Go Vanu!

User avatar
Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Nylonathatep » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:06 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
Wow, yea, haven't seen anything so blatant as that yet. I must have been lucky not to run into any (obvious, anyway) cheaters as of yet.

As for server pops, Jaeger seems pretty balanced in general. I've only seen one time that any one faction had majority control over all 3 continents. Though I think NC tends to control less territory for whatever reason (or it's just I haven't been strictly paying attention).

Go Vanu!



It's pretty hard to Spot Wallhack in Planetside 2... since you didn't know if one of their allies actually spotted you in vision and Q you out. Aimbot is also hard to spot because you don't know if you got headshotted... and Higher Rank players typically have stronger weapons so you can't really tell if he's Aimbotting, Got lucky with a headshot, or using amazing guns that just have less recoil and good damage.

The warp hack is way easy to spot thou, and I've seen it very often. Players, and sometimes even Aircraft just warps everywhere and seemingly walk thru walls. So far I haven't heard the developers doing anything to address this problem, except spamming broadcast to ban cheaters. I've wanted them be more proactive vs cheaters.... patch to fix their program from using exploits, letting users report suspious cheating activities, etc... I don't want this to turn into another Counter-strike situation.

Xeio wrote:Go Vanu!


Vanu can go.....
Spoiler:
TO HELL

User avatar
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby eculc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:18 am UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:
NC can go.....
Spoiler:
TO HELL


Just sayin' :wink:

*sigh* Even though my system's specs are well above the minimum, I still can't get more than ~15-20 FPS at lowest settings.

also, is it possible to increase the flight sensitivity beyond 1.00? I have it turned all the way up and I still can't turn around in less than ~30 seconds, despite youtube videos that speak to the contrary.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: So Planetside 2 is free

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:15 am UTC

As crappy as PS2's netcode is, it's entirely possible the guy isn't hacking and just has crappy ping. Also,

Xeio wrote:Wow, yea, haven't seen anything so blatant as that yet.

Flying Magrider. More blatant.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests