Don't Starve

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

3fj

Don't Starve

Postby 3fj » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:58 pm UTC

Has anyone else picked this up yet?

For the uninitiated, it's a point-and-click survival game with some pretty interesting things to discover. It's currently being released on Steam in a similar production cycle to the way Minecraft was (though you can pick up the old alpha, which runes in chrome, here)

It has an interesting method of doing things. You have a selection of basic recipes and need idea-points to unlock new ones (which come with a name, the ingredients, and a brief description of use). You get those by building a science machine and feeding it raw materials.
Saying that, a lot of resources are very difficult to get a hold of. Some require actions to be performed before harvesting, such as charcoal being made by chopping down a forest you've burnt to the ground, for example.

At present even with the decent gear it's tremendously easy to die accidentally. It's not so much about building stuff (although establishing a base camp is a pretty decent strategy) as it is about going out and finding all the stuff you need so you can learn more recipes.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Lostdreams

Re: Don't Starve

Postby Lostdreams » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:27 pm UTC

Survivor: Iron Chef Edition
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:01 am UTC

Roast ALL the berries.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:22 am UTC

Seems the game just crashes whenever I try to launch it from the browser. :?

3fj

Postby 3fj » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:07 am UTC

Xeio wrote:Seems the game just crashes whenever I try to launch it from the browser. :?

Yeah, I'm getting that too. My only experience with it is from the Steam download.

Shivahn wrote:Roast ALL the berries.

Have you tried replanting them? They take forever to grow again D:
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:29 pm UTC

3fj wrote:
Xeio wrote:Seems the game just crashes whenever I try to launch it from the browser. :?

Yeah, I'm getting that too. My only experience with it is from the Steam download.

You mean the bushes themselves? They do, but the trick is to just build a huge farm somewhere. Then don't starve until it regrows.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:25 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:
3fj wrote:

You mean the bushes themselves? They do, but the trick is to just build a huge farm somewhere. Then don't starve until it regrows.

Yeah, I got that. The first-tier farms seem really useless though. I usually stick with rabbit and berries and such while farming as many materials as I can to build that stuff. Once that's done, I replace the backpack with a logsuit and start murdering spiders for silk, which is useful for bird traps.

Does anyone know if sleeping or cooking/eating a mandrake will speed up things like that? (i.e there is one night until my Squash grows. Does sleeping make it appear instantly?)

Return to “Gaming”