House of Cards (Breaking the fourth wall: The Show)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

You, sir, name?

House of Cards (Breaking the fourth wall: The Show)

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

A netflix production or some such.

Only seen a few episodes, but so far I like it quite a lot.

--edit-- Seen some more. It's really good. Kevin Spacey makes a magnificent Magnificent Bastard.
Last edited by You, sir, name? on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:26 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

PatrickRsGhost

Re: House of Cards

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

And here I thought you were referring to the movie with Kathleen Turner and Tommy Lee Jones.
PRG

An important message for you:

You, sir, name?

Re: House of Cards

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Re: House of Cards (Breaking the fourth wall: The Show)

Postby firechicago » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:56 am UTC

Not to be confused with the original

I'm seven episodes in and I really want to like it, but I keep getting pulled up short by the little (and not so little) inaccuracies of the "That person would never do that" sort that spring up two or three times an episode. And the scenes that seem just designed to creep the audience out for no reason other than to creep the audience out. Like
Spoiler:
when Frank goes down on Zoe while she talks to her father on the phone.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:25 am UTC

firechicago wrote:I'm seven episodes in and I really want to like it, but I keep getting pulled up short by the little (and not so little) inaccuracies of the "That person would never do that" sort that spring up two or three times an episode.

What sort of little (and not so little) inaccuracies are you finding in terms of "that person would never do that."

There are some big inaccuracies that bothered me but they mostly involved
Spoiler:
Pennsylvania election laws
so I don't expect most people to be bothered by them.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

I'm only remembering the big ones right now, but there are a couple of storylines that are based on fundamentally not understanding how decisions are made in American politics.

Spoiler:
The whole teacher strike storyline, for example, was full of the tail wagging the dog. Calling a union strike is not something that a lobbyist can do. At best, the lobbyist gets to sit at the table and speak when spoken to while his bosses discuss whether or not to strike. And once his bosses make a decision, it has to go to the membership for a vote of one sort or another. The idea that the lobbyist could come as close as he did to ramming through a national strike just because Frank hurt his fee-fees is silly. Also, the idea that the union activists who protested at the hotel would just turn around accept barbecue from the hands of the man they are protesting is out and out ludicrous. Not to mention the fact that the editing of that scene had a way of lingering on overweight women greedily devouring barbecue that was hard not to see as misogynist. It was very hard not to start throwing things at my laptop during that whole episode.

And:

Spoiler:
During the whole battle for the speakership everyone seems to assume that Frank can just snap his fingers and 200 Republican votes will magically appear for his preferred candidate for speaker. This makes absolutely no sense, given, as the dialogue points out again and again, that since the advent of the modern party system, there has never been a speaker elected without the vast majority of his party voting for him, for a whole host of good reasons. Here are three off the top of my head:

What's in this for the Republicans? For this to work, they don't just need to turn out a majority or even a supermajority of their caucus to vote for a Democratic speaker, they need to whip every last vote into line if Frank's plan is to be at all credible. Why would they go such extraordinary lengths to replace one Democrat with another? Sure, they'd love to see chaos within the Democratic party, but if this vote is happening, they've already got that without lifting a finger.

And why would Frank want the speakership under these conditions? He would be despised as a traitor by most of the members of the majority party, and would be dependent on Republican votes to keep him in his seat. He would be a lame duck and everyone would know it.

Finally, the timing just doesn't work out. I'm no expert on parliamentary procedure, but the speaker is elected at the beginning of the new Congress (which we know has already happened, because it happens a couple weeks before the President's inauguration. If Frank wants to have a new election, the current speaker can just declare that motion out of order, which means Frank needs a 2/3 vote to overrule him, making his math exponentiall more difficult.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:30 am UTC

firechicago wrote:I'm only remembering the big ones right now, but there are a couple of storylines that are based on fundamentally not understanding how decisions are made in American politics.

Oh, got it. Yeah, there were definitely conflicts with how procedural issues and legal issues were dealt with in the show versus in real life but I was able to get over them. I had thought that you were complaining about characterization issues, such as a character acting in a very out-of-character way. I would have been interested in hearing about that since it was the characters that got me through the factual mistakes.

As for one thing you mentioned,
Spoiler:
I put the issue regarding the election of House Speaker up there with all the mistakes about Pennsylvania election law. However, the issue with the Teamster member taking the food during the protest didn't bother me so much because I had seen similar things happen at protests before. I specifically recall issues with dissension at protest lines during the Occupy protests.
That's why that one part didn't strike me as a mistake.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

House of Cards (The Netflix one)

Postby Xeio » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Has anyone watched this show? It's available to Netflix subscribers (they released the whole first season at once in February). I'm about halfway through the first season. Apparently it's adapted from a UK version (in turn adapted from a book), which I haven't seen.

I don't know why I like the political drama, but it's like popcorn.

<3 Kevin Spacey Frank Underwood

LaserGuy

Re: House of Cards (The Netflix one)

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

I've watched the first half of the season or so. Will watch the rest once my wife catches up to me. It is very compelling. The casting is excellent and the writing is top-notch, and I enjoy the fact that the show doesn't assume that their audience is dumb.

Minor spoilers from first few episodes:

Spoiler:
I'm still not quite sure I follow exactly where the narrative arc is going. I had originally thought, based on what happens in the first episode in particular, that a lot of the show would be about him trying to covertly sabotage the presidency in retaliation for not getting Secretary of State. That could still be what is happening, but it's not clear to me how a lot of the things that he's been working on (the education bill; his deal with Russo) particularly advance the agenda. Or is he just putting allies in strategic places so that he can challenge the incumbent president in the next set of primaries? I'm interested to see how it all comes together, but right now, I don't really understand how all of the pieces fit.

Azuth

Postby Azuth » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Amendment XXV

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:38 am UTC

firechicago wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, the idea that the union activists who protested at the hotel would just turn around accept barbecue from the hands of the man they are protesting is out and out ludicrous.

Spoiler:
I think that it was sort of hinted at in the episode that when he scrambled to begin the hotel protest ad hoc, they dragged a lot of non-union/teacher people to the scene for a show of numbers. These people, having no real commitments and just there to fill the ranks, were the ones who accepted the food, I think.

Are people still watching?

I have to say, I just caught up to the end of the second season, and I have to say, it's magnificent.

Spoiler:
I have to wonder, as the show doesn't entirely let on, whether his direct ascension to the presidency (through the whole impeachment thing) was planned like this or rather was something that he improvised.

I'm a bit inclined to go with something that's improvised after the others started fighting him, for a few reasons:
-So many goddamn variables.
-Prolonging of Power: It seems like it would be better for him to influence as VP for the remainder of this term and (presumably) term 2, and then run for his own two terms, then to take over immediately. Also, he's kind of in Gerald Ford's seat right now, which didn't work out absolutely amazingly for Ford.
-Also, this all happened before the Midterms, which is bad for Frank, because that means he can only run for 1 more term of president (When VP takes over, it counts as a full term if >2 years, and not a full term if <2 years).

It is magnificent actually. And I kind of like it. I have an admiration for Frank's skill (and other aspects of him) even if he is a gravely corrupt man. However, I get to be on his side whenever he happens to be fighting other corrupt men that I dislike more.

centrifugal

Postby centrifugal » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:50 pm UTC

So far it's a quite good series. Excellent performances by the actors, interesting storyline. Kevin Spacey is great as usual.

Some negative points seem to be the "evil always wins" attitude and what seems to be the norm as of now deliberate inclusion of over the top sex scenes - it's like if you don't feature at least one orgy in your series you won't air on TV anymore.

But overall the story is gripping.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”