Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Re: Aglets of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Postby Whizbang » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:38 am UTC

Episode of 10/28/2014 spoiler
Spoiler:
I am guessing that Coulson assumes/knows Ward will go for/after Skye's dad, and so be able to follow. That or he gets SHIELD off the international shit-list, Ward wrecks a few things and makes his brother look like a jackass, SHIELD steps in and stops a clusterfuck, and both Wards and placed in confinement.

'Course this second option is pretty harsh, considering Ward most likely will/has killed people after his escape and so SHIELD redemption will come at the cost of lives.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:09 pm UTC

Spoiler:
As soon as they cuffed Ward in ordinary handcuffs, I knew he was going to break out. On the one had I hope Coulson has a plan, on the other I hope he was just being short-sighted and irresponsible, since he just got 4 FBI member killed.

On the bright side, they do have a problem less to worry about with the general, it would seem.

Simmons was cold to Ward :shock:

And the new girl is really pretty

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

Favourite part of the episode:
Spoiler:
May pointing out that women are allowed to make out with men for cover just as much as men are.

I agree on the fact that it was obvious Ward would escape. Means that those poor agents in the van have snuffed it though, which seems pretty terrible if that was done on purpose.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:07 pm UTC

Speaking of pretty terrible things...

Remember in the first season when everyone was commenting on how they always use stunners and the first kill was in the bunker, 3/4 through the season?

Yeah. Good times.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:06 pm UTC

To be fair, the first 3/4 of season 1 was arguably a bad thing in and of itself.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:57 pm UTC

Well, yeah. I was just commenting on the difference, mostly. If more kills=better season, then so be it. It definitely adds to the suspense and drama a bit. Before it was a little too PG to really be very interesting.

That said, letting a viscous killer on the loose, knowing he will immediately and frequently kill to achieve his goals, all so you can somehow achieve your own goals, doesn't seem very heroic, in the comic book sense.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:08 am UTC

Spoiler:
Wait, the guys picking up Ward at the end were FBI agents? I thought they were Shield agents? I don't think Coulson would ever sacrifice his own men, so I assumed Ward's escape wasn't foreseen. But they are FBI agents? Are you guys sure?

Isn't the Shield base supposed to be super secret? Letting FBI agents in seems like a huge security blunder. If the senator ever reverses his stand, they can wipe out Coulson's entire base in minutes now.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:25 am UTC

Also: What the fuck Joss Whedon, Belgium and The Netherlands are not the same country!
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:54 am UTC

I thought that that agent was in the Netherlands, but the safehouse was in Belgium?
Spoiler:
The point was that all the shield agents were fleeing into Belgium,so it would make sense that they chose a team that was somewhere else.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:05 am UTC

Diadem wrote:
Spoiler:
Wait, the guys picking up Ward at the end were FBI agents? I thought they were Shield agents? I don't think Coulson would ever sacrifice his own men, so I assumed Ward's escape wasn't foreseen. But they are FBI agents? Are you guys sure?

Isn't the Shield base supposed to be super secret? Letting FBI agents in seems like a huge security blunder. If the senator ever reverses his stand, they can wipe out Coulson's entire base in minutes now.

Yes they were, they had camouflage armor with FBI in big letters on it. Shield also tends to use dark colored armor.

Diadem wrote:Also: What the fuck Joss Whedon, Belgium and The Netherlands are not the same country!

Spoiler:
No, but Belgium had sort of declared itself a safe haven. And they're real close. Amsterdam/The Hague to Brugge is a three hour drive or train ride.

Spoiler:
About senator Ward, is anyone even sure we can trust him? For all we know, he's Hydra himself and this is all just a ploy to get Ward back.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:50 am UTC

So... Tim DeKay gets a role in this show, shortly before White Collar goes back on the air after a long gap... Coincidence? Or an ever-more advanced form of product placement, reminding people that this other show exists? (Yes, yes, I know the shows are on different networks and this doesn't make any sense... let me have my fun.)

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:42 am UTC

Diadem wrote:Also: What the fuck Joss Whedon, Belgium and The Netherlands are not the same country!

Joss Whedon didn't write or direct this episode. I don't think he's written or directed any episode since the premier. Jed Whedon has written more episodes but again didn't write this one.

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:10 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Spoiler:
About senator Ward, is anyone even sure we can trust him? For all we know, he's Hydra himself and this is all just a ploy to get Ward back.

Spoiler:
Pretty sure Senator Ward was lying his ass off. Grant Ward may be very manipulative but he had no reason to lie about this and seemed genuinely scared. Also he's been manipulating Skye this season with the truth so it would make a lot more sense for his brother to be the one lying. Finally, it doesn't make sense story-wise for Grant to be the one lying. He already had his huge betrayal reveal, we know he's a terrible person and distrust him. Revealing he also lied about a different but much less important part of his history a full season ago would be quite strange.

As for the escape- my guess is either Ward didn't kill anyone in the escape or they were Hydra agents in disguise. The latter seems more likely as the senator will almost certainly turn out to be affiliated with Hydra. But those regular handcuffs + the lackluster warning Coulson gave make me think that escape was planned which, again, I don't think Coulson would risk unless he knew he was handing him over to Hydra and not the FBI.

Diadem wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I am pretty sure the initial group with the dark uniforms were SHIELD agents who took Ward to a neutral location for the hand-off.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:11 am UTC

Spoiler:
I'm hoping that Ward isn't Hydra, just his own brand of evil. It seems like the deal he did with Coulson to give him access to torture Grant was done for his own gratification, and coming out in support of Shield as he did at the end of the episode doesn't seem like something Hydra would be happy with given that the B plot was about Hydra cementing public condemnation of Shield.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:42 am UTC

maybeagnostic wrote:
Diadem wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I am pretty sure the initial group with the dark uniforms were SHIELD agents who took Ward to a neutral location for the hand-off.

Spoiler:
Ah that makes sense, and explains my initial confusing, because I thought the agents taking him out of his cell didn't look very FBI, but if that is because they weren't that makes sense :)

Also:
Spoiler:
I agree that I hope senator Ward turns out unaffiliated with Hydra. It is generally very boring if all the evil people in a show belong to the same group. Evil isn't one big happy family, and shouldn't be.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:20 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I knew he would escape as soon as I saw his handcuffs were put on in front. Also, Grant being a psychopath doesn't make sense with why he joined up with Hydra in the first place. He's always been more like a sad lost puppy looking for a home, so barring really bad writing I have to believe Grant.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:27 pm UTC

Corps-e diem. Seize the dead. Despite the lack of understanding of Latin, I love it.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:26 pm UTC

Anyone kind of rooting for Ward to have actually been transformed? Just me?

K.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:22 pm UTC

Well, not suddenly going good again. Maybe going after his own targets and incidentally creeping on Sky. So far, everything evil has been affiliated with Hydra, a change would be nice.

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:59 pm UTC

The new episode was pretty cool. Halfway through I came up with a theory about the Wards that ended up being pretty soundly disproven by the end but still...
Spoiler:
I decided Grant did have a very twisted/inaccurate memory of his childhood and it was mostly due to the indoctrination procedure Hydra has. Like, instead of being some magical off-switch to a person's self-awareness, the procedure is a way to modify their memories in a way that makes them justify their unfailing loyalty to Hydra which in Grant's case would be having incredibly good reasons to hate his whole family and have no one else to rely on.

The Senator's admission kind of ruins the theory though. Apparently he really did manipulate his younger brother so... yeah, it makes for more interesting characters and leaves no side to root for, I guess. Anyway, now Grant seems to be entirely irredeemable and between him and her father, I really don't envy Skye for her eventual trip to this mysterious city.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:34 pm UTC

I'm kinda curious about whether Skye's father..

Spoiler:
knows that it was Hydra that killed his wife or not.

At this point I'm figuring either he does know Hydra was responsible and he's just staying close to Whitehall to get in and twist the revenge knife really well.

Or someone made him think it was SHIELD, so he's focusing all his anger at Coulson/SHIELD, but then he'll find out the truth and start helping them.

Also in this most recent episode
Spoiler:
I'm glad they finally explained what was going on with Whitehall. That's been bugging me all season, because I knew it was the same guy from the 40s to the present, but the show hadn't really commented on it. For a while I thought I was just going crazy or that I missed something important earlier in the season that explained what was going on there.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:07 pm UTC

Ward:
Spoiler:
I hear you about thinking he was just brainwashed by Hydra. That was my thought as well, until the end. It still could have happened to a certain degree, though. They emphasized in this episode that the people who are brainwashed don't know it. So they could have taken a slightly twisted Ward and then really screwed him up. His insistence that it was all his doing and that he wasn't brainwashed, to me, implies that maybe he was and part of the brainwashing was to make the victim think they were voluntary.

Skye's Father:
Spoiler:
He shared a look with Whitehall after saying something with Ward about revenge. I got the impression that Whitehall thought the shared look was about something else. I really think Skye's father is out for Whitehall. He's a dopey, likable (in a twisted sort of way) guy. I can see them somehow revealing he has been a good guy all along. The massacre in Skye's birth village was obviously Whitehall. Skye's father is obviously twisted, but it may be from the death of his wife, and whatever gruesome things he's done may turn out to be done to bad people.

On the other hand, he may assume that because Skye is with SHIELD, then SHIELD must be responsible for the death of his wife.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:13 pm UTC

So what did Whitehall do exactly?
Spoiler:
Did he take all of Sky's mom's blood and organs and transplanted them into himself? Not really clear to me

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:20 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:So what did Whitehall do exactly?
Spoiler:
Did he take all of Sky's mom's blood and organs and transplanted them into himself? Not really clear to me

Spoiler:
He "took all {he} could". I would guess at the very least blood transfusion and organ exchange. Bones? Probably not, since he isn't shorter or anything. Bone marrow? Probably. Veins and arteries? Maybe. Probably not the brain or eyes. Skin seems unlikely.

What threw me a bit was that his hand went from age spots and wrinkles to healthy and young-ish. The only thing I can think of to cause that would be a blood transfusion, because organ transplants take time. I would imagine that was the first step. That's easy to do and an obvious first experiment. Once he had the blood, he would also be better suited to multiple organ and tissue transplants (assuming the blood is an active healing agent, which it probably is considering Caulson and Skye).

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:21 am UTC

About Whitehall and the procedure:
Spoiler:
It really seemed like he just transplanted all the organs he could from Skye's mother to himself. Why he decided to perform this bizarre procedure that wasn't even around in his time (no organ transplants during WWII, right?), I have no idea. It seems blindly dabbling with arcane powers beyond his comprehension is his... shtick? forte? aim? Not so much villainous as simply reckless although his methods are obviously evil.

So now we know Skye's mother definitely had the alien blood and some special powers. Does that mean, unlikely as it might be, her father could just be human? Was the strength we saw really supernatural? The anger issues do remind me of that Asgardian artifact from last season.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:01 am UTC

Spoiler:
Her dad did visibly seem to age between the 1989 flashback and 2014, so I'm guessing no alien blood for him?

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:56 pm UTC

maybeagnostic wrote:So now we know Skye's mother definitely had the alien blood and some special powers. Does that mean, unlikely as it might be, her father could just be human? Was the strength we saw really supernatural? The anger issues do remind me of that Asgardian artifact from last season.[/spoiler]

Spoiler:
We don't know this. According to Skye's father the artifact allows humans worthy to live. This may or may not be wrong, but it certainly doesn't rule out that Skye's mother was just a natural born human would could touch the artifact for some reason

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:02 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
maybeagnostic wrote:
Spoiler:
So now we know Skye's mother definitely had the alien blood and some special powers. Does that mean, unlikely as it might be, her father could just be human? Was the strength we saw really supernatural? The anger issues do remind me of that Asgardian artifact from last season.

Spoiler:
We don't know this. According to Skye's father the artifact allows humans worthy to live. This may or may not be wrong, but it certainly doesn't rule out that Skye's mother was just a natural born human would could touch the artifact for some reason

Spoiler:
That and she didn't age for 70 years, though that might be a result of touching The Diviner.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:06 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Diadem wrote:
maybeagnostic wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
That and she didn't age for 70 years, though that might be a result of touching The Diviner.

Spoiler:
You know, so much weird stuff has been happening to, well, pretty much every character in the show, that that particular fact had somehow just completely failed to register as important in my brain. Oh well.

Agreed. Not aging is definitely weird. Still doesn't proof she is an alien, but makes it more likely I agree.

It still leaves a lot of matters unanswered. Raina was also able to touch the artifact. Is she alien too? Presumably Skye's dad is also able to touch it? Though I don't think we've seen that. And if the mother was an alien, how come so was captured by Whitehall's men so easily? Still lots of open questions.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:44 am UTC

Spoiler:
Skye's dad said "It feels good to look your enemy in the eye" and immediately turned to Whitehall. Skye's mother had been hiding from Whitehall for 44 years. I think it's entirely possible that somewhere in between when they got together and she died, she told him about Whitehall. Or, there have been 25 years since that happened, which gives him plenty of time to figure out exactly who it is. Or or, it's quite likely when Hydra took over the village in China he was there and saw everything. Whatever the case I'm almost positive he knows exactly who Whitehall is.

CannedCourage

Postby CannedCourage » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:19 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I didn't grasp the link between Skye and the immortal woman at all. :/

Then again, I couldn't tell if the woman that Skye's father cradles in the flashback was her.

I have been denied this revelation by poor lighting!

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:57 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The immortal woman is Sky's mother

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:29 pm UTC

Wow, I nearly didn't recognise Eddie McClintock with his voice like that.

Spoiler:
I'm glad they didn't keep the thing with Skye a secret for long. My bet is that Bobbie and Mac are going to turn out to be SWORD? Hence the back-up for dealing with an alien. It would make sense that SWORD is spying on the new SHIELD, though will be interesting to see who they have in charge of that.

Surely one of the Kree will have a way to restore Eddie McClintock's (can't remember his name, even though he said 'the Kree has a name', lol) memories.

Also, why have they turned SImmons into such a gunho maniac? I know Trip died, but they didn't even seem to have a thing this season (they seemed to be building Trip/Skye up more).

Finally, as seen in the flashbacks in the last episode, the inhumans in China have clearly been using their diviner for a while. I wonder why it didn't send off a signal - maybe because it only does that if it's used in the Kree city? That whole line about fate at the end was weird though, but I guess magicky stuff is definitely in this universe.
GNU Terry Pratchett

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:50 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
That whole line about fate at the end was weird though, but I guess magicky stuff is definitely in this universe.

Weird, or Strange?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:23 pm UTC

Heh,
Spoiler:
I was thinking about him with regards to wondering if this was how they were wanting to tie magic in.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:39 pm UTC

Is it me or is whatsherface with the batons, like, super strong? Taking on a Kree (twice) seems like a superhuman thing to do. Even the Asgardian whatsherface got beat by him.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:14 pm UTC

The Kree wasn't trying to hurt anyone (other than Skye). He probably held back for Bobbi, which he didn't do for Sif, since she could take it.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:14 am UTC

Spoiler:
Another SHIELD? I am very disappoint, my heart was really set on SWORD.

I guess Coulson and co must all just assume that 33 was hydra all along, as it's always puzzled me that they've shown very little interes in debrainwashing her, even though they knew that Whitehall was brainwashing people into compliance.

Now that Skye's alone, can we finally have her meet the other inhumans? Please??
GNU Terry Pratchett

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:00 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
Another SHIELD? I am very disappoint, my heart was really set on SWORD.

I guess Coulson and co must all just assume that 33 was hydra all along, as it's always puzzled me that they've shown very little interes in debrainwashing her, even though they knew that Whitehall was brainwashing people into compliance.

Now that Skye's alone, can we finally have her meet the other inhumans? Please??

Spoiler:
What's the difference between a second SHIELD and SWORD?

I caught up on this year's episodes and they were a bit fun but I am not entirely sold on this new direction. The whole FitzSimmons dynamic feels off but not in exactly the way they seem to be going for. Simmons, especially, makes no sense to me as the homicidal kill-first-and-dissect-to-get-answers-later maniac. Bobi and Hunter have an interesting dynamic and I am really not sure where that is headed. I do find it a bit strange that she served as a triple agent for such a long time. Being undercover undercover (SHIELD2 to SHIELD to HYDRA) is just a bit of too recursive for my taste... although, if she turns out to be betraying Admiral Adama and serving some other faction, that would be quite hilarious.

I wish they'd show Talbot as something other than comic relief or a bumbling fool. Also, harassing his female employees and pulling a gun on his wife really didn't seem all that humorous.

Having read some reviews/comments though, I'm starting to wonder whether I should even bother watching at this point. It seems like all the important storylines are aimed at people familiar with the comic universe. Nearly all the newly introduced factions (Inhumans, SWORD/HAMMER/whatever) are barely introduced and not at all explained but I open a comic reader's review and they've gotten enough hints to plan out the next three years of high-level story. Hmm, maybe I should stop reading reviews instead.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Re: Aglets of S.H.we.E.L.D.

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:50 pm UTC

So...

Spoiler:
Skye gets Super Training by her mother. Neat. How'd her mother survive what Whitehall did to her? She must have one hell of a healing ability.

Also, Coulson is going after Ward now. So... Was he not trying to catch him before?

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”