Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Re: Aglets of S.H.we.E.L.D.

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:16 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:So...

Spoiler:
Skye gets thuper Training by her mother. Neat. How'd her mother survive what Whitehall did to her? She must have one The Boiler room of a healing ability.

Also, Coulson is going after Ward now. So... Was he not trying to catch him before?
Spoiler:
I'd been wondering about her healing ability for a while. When she was first talked about it mentioned how she didn't age or whatever, which of course made me think of Wolverine, but then Whitehall and Skye's dad seemed so sure she was dead that for a while it seemed like a sure thing.

Maybe when Whitehall was done with her all that was left was a skeleton, which got dumped/buried and then she eventually completely regenerated and had to punch her way out like The Bride.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:20 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
Whizbang wrote:So...

Spoiler:
Skye gets thuper Training by her mother. Neat. How'd her mother survive what Whitehall did to her? She must have one The Boiler room of a healing ability.

Also, Coulson is going after Ward now. So... Was he not trying to catch him before?
Spoiler:
we'd been wondering about her healing ability for a while. When she was first talked about it mentioned how she didn't age or whatever, which of courthe made us think of Wolverine, but then Whitehall and Skye's dad seemed so sure she was dead that for a while it seemed like a sure thing.

Maybe when Whitehall was done with her all that was left was a skeleton, which got dumped/buried and then she eventually completely regenerated and had to punch her way out like The Bride.

Spoiler:
But then what's with the scars? Wolverine level healing doesn't leave scars, and she'd need that level to recover from having most/all of her organs and probably bone marrow and who knows what else taken from her.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:03 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:
But then what's with the scars? Wolverine level healing doesn't leave scars, and she'd need that level to recover from having most/all of her organs and probably bone marrow and who knows what else taken from her.
Spoiler:
Oh, yeah. I forgot about the scars already.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:17 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I was semi-surprised they brought back Skye's mother, though pretty surprised that her dad had never given her a picture of her mother to look at.

What the hell is wrong with the 'Real Shield' people? Like, the only thing I can figure is that they figured that most of the remainding Shield agents would stay loyal to Fury/Coulson (as Fury appointed Coulson) and so waited until they could get something on Coulson so they could do a coup. But, it's not as though Hydra wasn't looking for the city anyway (and if Coulson hadn't been looking for hte city, Shield would probably have never noticed the diviner being stolen as that much of a security threat).

Also, could someone remind me what happened to Patton Oswald and his safe houses? We haven't seen him in ages, and I can't remember why.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:24 pm UTC

Also,

Spoiler:
If she can recover from that surgery/butchery, does that mean Whitehall could survive getting shot?

roband

Postby roband » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:22 pm UTC

I love SHweELD

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:22 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
What the The Boiler room is wrong with the 'Real Shield' people? Like, the only thing we can figure is that they figured that most of the remainding Shield agents would stay loyal to Fury/Coulson (as Fury appointed Coulson) and so waited until they could get something on Coulson so they could do a coup. But, it's not as though Hydra wasn't looking for the city anyway (and if Coulson hadn't been looking for hte city, Shield would probably have never noticed the diviner being stolen as that much of a security threat).

Spoiler:
I think we, the audience, are supposed to assume that Coulson's SHweLD is the true one due to Fury handing it down to him (though whether Fury had the right to choose a successor might be open to question). This other SHweLD is just a single, although large, SHweLD ship that managed to fight off Hydra. There was not even a semi-legitimate claim to succession other than "Last man standing", which doesn't work because Coulson. The guy with the cane (I am terrible at names) just got power hungry after salvaging his ship and having autonomy for a while.

This other SHweLD is just a writer's trick to give Coulson more resources and personnel.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Re: Aglets of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Postby Angua » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:05 pm UTC

So,

Spoiler:
Raina spent so long working for someone she thought was clairvoyant, and now she is clairvoyant.

Dun dun duuuhhhhhh

Any ideas what Coulson is up to? I can't wait to find out. I still think it's ridiculous the way the 'real' Shield people are doing this coup.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:17 pm UTC

Angua wrote:So,

Spoiler:
Raina spent so long working for someone she thought was clairvoyant, and now she is clairvoyant.

Dun dun duuuhhhhhh

Spoiler:
I did not see that coming.

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
Any ideas what Coulson is up to? I can't wait to find out. I still think it's ridiculous the way the 'real' Shield people are doing this coup.

Spoiler:
The Theta Project, duh. But, seriously, I don't get the problem Bobbi & Co. are having with Coulson. Their whole beef seems to be he is keeping secrets, especially big secrets. Fury kept epic level secrets all the time (secrets within secrets within secrets, even), and yet everyone seemed to be loyal to him, or at least not try to take him out of power. Whatever Coulson is doing, it is small beans compared to whatever Fury did and probably is doing at this moment. And what's wrong with Coulson trying to get together powered people and train them? You can't just leave them laying around as wild cards. You can't let Hydra take them and train them. You can't just hold them in prison somewhere (not the least because then Hydra will steal them, but also because they are a liability in other ways). You could kill them, I suppose, but then what are you going to do when Hydra comes at you with powered people? You just killed/imprisoned/ignored whatever powered people you got your hands on. The world is obviously going powered. Not going powered yourself is just setting yourself up for failure.

Also,
Spoiler:
Skye's dad literally put her mother back together.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:15 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I guess they're trying to up the ante in preparation for Civil War? But, given we know Hydra was after the diviner and powered people, and Shield already had the index, it makes sense that you'd want to start trying to get people for your side.

I really think the 'real' shield guys are just going for power - especially the old guy - I don't think Bobby and Mack see it, but you'd think they'd wonder about why they didn't just announce themselves to Coulson to start with, instead of sneaking around. Like, if they were really certain that their way was the right way, they would have announced themselves right at the beginning and got the rest of Shield and the government on their side (as it is, we've got General Whatshisname with a grudging acknowledge of Coulson and his team, but I doubt he'd be that trusting of a new organisation coming out of the woodwork, usurping Coulson and declaring themselves the real deal.
GNU Terry Pratchett

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:33 am UTC

So about Skye's age
Spoiler:
was that a subtle foreshadowing or am I imagining things?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:02 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:So about Skye's age
Spoiler:

It did seem significant, but I can't grok why.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
ArgonV wrote:So about Skye's age
Spoiler:

It did seem significant, but I can't grok why.

Just to be safe, I'll use a spoiler tag:
Spoiler:
I felt like that was a definite moment of tension. Everyone pausing and exchanging awkward glances, and then Skye brushing it off and everyone relaxing again.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:29 am UTC

Spoiler:
I just can't wrap my head around the "real" SHIELD guys. Literally none of their actions support what they are saying and I don't understand how anyone is buying their bullshit. "We believe in honesty and transparency so we infiltrated your organization and had your close friends betray and attack you. Then, because that wasn't bad enough, we sent our powered-people-hating agents to capture your friend who was just chilling out at a cabin trying not to harm anyone. We also either secretly ordered them to kill her or we just have the most incompetent agents working for us."

So they are setting them up as bad guys but they are still trying to make Mack and Bobby sympathetic and I don't see how that works when both of them are part of the ruling elite and have been with the organization since the start.

Carlington wrote:
Spoiler:
I felt like that was a definite moment of tension. Everyone pausing and exchanging awkward glances, and then Skye brushing it off and everyone relaxing again.

Spoiler:
Well, of course it was a moment of tension. That whole dinner was super tense and everyone was trying really hard to be happy about finally reuniting but they were still clearly uncomfotable. The realization that she didn't even know what year she was born in reminded them about how they got there and nearly shattered the veneer of normality. Do you think there's more to the age thing than that?
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:49 am UTC

maybeagnostic wrote:
Spoiler:
I just can't wrap my head around the "real" SHIELD guys. Literally none of their actions support what they are saying and I don't understand how anyone is buying their bullshit. "We believe in honesty and transparency so we infiltrated your organization and had your close friends betray and attack you. Then, because that wasn't bad enough, we sent our powered-people-hating agents to capture your friend who was just chilling out at a cabin trying not to harm anyone. We also either secretly ordered them to kill her or we just have the most incompetent agents working for us."

So they are setting them up as bad guys but they are still trying to make Mack and Bobby sympathetic and I don't see how that works when both of them are part of the ruling elite and have been with the organization since the start.

THis, so much this.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:35 am UTC

I'm currently behind on Agents of SHIELD, barely started on season 2. Do you think there's a strong reason for me to try to catch up before seeing the new Avengers movie? Have there been plot points on the show that could be relevant in a significant way?

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:57 am UTC

Adacore wrote:I'm currently behind on Agents of SHIELD, barely started on season 2. Do you think there's a strong reason for me to try to catch up before seeing the new Avengers movie? Have there been plot points on the show that could be relevant in a significant way?

I've just seen Avengers 2, there aren't any tie-ins - the movies seem to be staying as their own contained thing, with events that happen in the films effecting the TV series and not the other way round.

Season 2 is really good though, miles better than the first :)
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:35 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:I've just seen Avengers 2, there aren't any tie-ins - the movies seem to be staying as their own contained thing, with events that happen in the films effecting the TV series and not the other way round.

There are 2 season 2 episodes that are going to air after the Age of Ultron debuts. I'd suggest against watching those two in particular before seeing the movie. I know watching the Agents of Shield espisode the week after Winter Soldier came out completely ruins any surprise that occurs in the movie.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:19 pm UTC

Most recent episode musings.

Spoiler:
So, now Hydra has Deathlock and that spark guy. I think Deathlok will be sufficiently immune to compliance training at this point (though that is a big question mark). Sparky, though, may end up as a villain like Agent 33 pretty soon. If he's not already. He slipped about Reina a little too easily with Skye a few episodes back, and then he commented that "She is your mother, after all", or something like that, when that is supposed to be a super-secret just between Skye, her Mother, and Cal. How does he know? And if he is a good enough spy to figure things like that out, he should be good enough not to have those slips of the tongue. So, the slips are not slips but deliberate. Ergo, he seems villain-y to me. I bet he's already working with Hydra.

In fact, I suspect the whole group surrounding Skye's mother often do shady if not outright villainous things, including working with Hydra from time to time. I mean, come on. They just let Cal out and free? Really? That alone implies a criminal lack of concern and empathy. And the way Skye's mother treats Cal is disturbing. It could be written off as a woman who is still in love with a man who has become broken, but there seems to be a complete disregard for all the pain and suffering he has caused. Love him, treat him for his illness, yes. But don't just be all lovey-dovey to him and then set him free.

And then there is Bakshi. Who didn't see that coming?
Last edited by Whizbang on Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:51 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:I've just seen Avengers 2, there aren't any tie-ins - the movies seem to be staying as their own contained thing, with events that happen in the films effecting the TV series and not the other way round.

There are 2 season 2 episodes that are going to air after the Age of Ultron debuts. I'd suggest against watching those two in particular before seeing the movie. I know watching the Agents of Shield espisode the week after Winter Soldier came out completely ruins any surprise that occurs in the movie.

I wouldn't be surprised by a strong Inhumans tie-in when that movie lands, but, otherwise, apart from people finding out that Phil's still around, I'm not expecting a lot of crossover from Agents to the movies.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:10 pm UTC

I'm still loving this show, but at this point it's far too drama-tastic...

ZOMG it's her mother! And he surrendered to the enemies he's working with who betrayed that guy last season and is now in charge of the secret secret counter group?!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:01 pm UTC

Spoiler:
So, is it just me or is Coulson still being a bit of a jerk to poor 33?

I'm not sure what to think about Jiaying, or Lincoln. Jiaying, I think, has spent too much time being tortured by Whitehall to really care about the rest of humanity (even as it extends to who might get hurt because of Cal). Lincoln could go either way at thispoint, I guess.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:37 pm UTC

So, Skye kicked some ass in this last episode, yah?

Spoiler:
Wait. Did she just vibrate the air molecules enough to generate an electric shock to Lincoln?

Also, according to Reina:
Spoiler:
Ultron is coming.

Good to see Robin Scherbatsky still hard at work.
Last edited by Whizbang on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:33 pm UTC

The thing I found a bit jarring about Skye in action:
Spoiler:
She was all angsty she killed Bobbi and that Adama!SHIELD guy (who actually tried to shoot her) and here she is a couple of days(?) later, killing HYDRA agents left and right. How many did she kill? Like 12?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:13 pm UTC

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Wed May 13, 2015 5:52 pm UTC

Wow, the season finale was really... wow. So many questions.

The show seems to be forming a habit of 4-5 action-packed, fast-paced and very impactful final episodes. I hope next season takes less than eight months to get there.

Spoiler:
So I guess Skye is going to be the first person in an Inhumans-only SHIELD team? Are they supposed to deal with other inhumans?

The fight on the ship was pretty well done but I was a little surprised we didn't get more Inhuman abilities. The only Inhuman with a power we haven't already seen was the redhead, everyone else just carried guns and punched people.

The fish oil sequence was sorta cool but also confusing. I don't see why the fish didn't turn to stone or the people who eat the fish if the concentration is high enough at that point. Either way, it is a way to activate random powered people around the world but there are already an unknown number of Inhumans hidden in unspecified places all over the world. I guess they get to deal with people gaining their powers without knowing what they are? Are the Inhumans the same as the X-men in the comics or have they just changed them to replace X-men in the MCU?

The final scene with Simmons... such a cheap cliffhanger but I also thought it was hilarious. Don't know if that was intentional. Too bad they suddenly decided to remind us of their romance ten minutes before this happens though.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed May 13, 2015 6:45 pm UTC

Inhumans in the comics are entirely separate from Mutants - the version I'm most familiar with, they live in the hidden city of Attilan, where the Terrigen Mists give them all powers, and only select individuals get to interact with the outside world.

In Earth X - briefly the future of the Marvel Universe before being ruled a variant - all of humanity is given mutant powers by releasing the Terrigen Mists worldwide...

MCU appears to be using the Inhumans as replacements for Mutants.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri May 15, 2015 3:06 pm UTC

Spoiler:
So Mac is all chummy with Coulson now that Mac cut off Coulson's hand? And does Coulson get a mechanical hand or do you think it will eventually grow back due to the Kree blood/whatever?

Also, poor Fitz.

In other news,
Spoiler:
I was right that the second SHIELD was just a plot device to give Coulson more resources.

Oh, and Agent 33 = :(

And then there is Cal. Does anyone else think this is going to backfire?

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri May 15, 2015 6:46 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, seeing how 33 died was sad, although I did like it when Ward realized what was going on.

I really hope they don't have Simmons disappear and have Fitz go all angsty again. I really hope she's just present in season 3 (I'm assuming another time skip) and is some sort of Kree mind-controlled clone using her position within SHIELD to hunt and exterminate Inhumans

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri May 15, 2015 6:54 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I have really no idea what they're going to do with Simmons! Will certainly be interested to find out.

Also, wondering how they're going to have this whole Inhuman thing on a backburner while they have 4 years before their movie comes out.

Ward as the new head of Hydra will be interesting, I guess. We haven't really seen him in a leadership role before, so I'm wondering if he will fall apart Azula-style.

Also, I'm guessing that somehow the mist crystals filtering through the fish and into the fish oil supplements must get rid of the diviner 'kill normal humans' power.
GNU Terry Pratchett

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri May 15, 2015 6:57 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, wondering how they're going to have this whole Inhuman thing on a backburner while they have 4 years before their movie comes out.

re: inhumans
Spoiler:
I don't think they'll have them on backburner for the inhumans movie. I think they'll use it to stoke the fires of Civil War. They already touched on that a bit in the last few seasons. SHIELD wants/wanted to identify and track inhumans. Some inhumans just want to hide in peace. Some wanted to fight. That's straight up Civil War stuff right there it seems like.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri May 15, 2015 7:16 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:re: inhumans
Spoiler:
I don't think they'll have them on backburner for the inhumans movie. I think they'll use it to stoke the fires of Civil War. They already touched on that a bit in the last few seasons. SHIELD wants/wanted to identify and track inhumans. Some inhumans just want to hide in peace. Some wanted to fight. That's straight up Civil War stuff right there it seems like.

Yeah, the Index seems like the perfect excuse for Civil War...

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:50 am UTC

So, huh. That's neat. It needed a dead host.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:07 pm UTC

Hmm, that mid-season finale...
Spoiler:
... was very poorly shot. Almost like they couldn't couldn't up with an even remotely plausible way of any of that happening so they just decided to skip it.

Am I the only one that understood that thing to be some kind of inhuman? Now it turns out to be some kind of dead-body-hopping slug. It was also shockingly easy to defeat (taken out by a flare, really?) for something that threatens to end civilization on Earth.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:25 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, I thought it was meant to be an inhuman as well. Someone has mentioned that it's supposed to be 'Hive' which seems to be some sort of intelligence made up of lots of mind control slugs that are all telepathically connected into one organism, so maybe it was an inhuman that started out spewing slugs and now they are all that's left???

But yeah, totally agree that the final portrayal seemed nothing like we'd been told before. You would have thought they would have 'felt' something when they ran into Evil Will given that Simmons had said it was less about what it looked like. How does a slug creature cause the wind storms, and why was it only in the 'no fly zones'. I guess it's been getting by on the periodic bodies it's had sacrificed to it by hydra, but why it led to everything destroying itself is beyond me, unless they all tried to kill themselves to stop it spreading throughout the universe.

Somehow, I doubt many of these questions will be answered.
GNU Terry Pratchett

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:36 am UTC

Having had a bit more time to think about the episode, I am even more disappointed with how underwhelming the whole thing was.
Spoiler:
The reveal of the Inhuman team was just so bland. Everyone got to use their power once and that's about it. I am not even sure why they were there, May seemed perfectly capable of handling the situation just as well by herself.

I suppose Coulson killing Ward was supposed to be a very emotional and dark moment but I was just cheering for Coulson to finally finish him. Ward was a fun villain at first but he's been their only enemy for ten episodes now and he's done nothing. For a moment I was just really glad he was removed from the story... but I suppose he wasn't because the slug apparently takes on the victim's personality and mannerisms.

I don't know why but I really expected the whole other planet storyline would have some specific payoff that explains why everyone cared about it so much. Now I realize they are just making things up as they go and we'll never get satisfactory answers.

Oh, the ATCU was also totally pointless. After all the time they devoted to that organization, all the named characters were killed off unceremoniously and their actions turned out to have been totally pointless thanks to Lash.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:21 am UTC

Huh, for some reason I thought the mid-season finale was episode 9, appropriately called "Closure". So I just got caught up with "Maveth". In other news, Agents of Shield has finally completed the transition to being Stargate SG-1.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”