Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

charliepanayi

I AM GROOT! (Guardians of the Galaxy)

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:02 am UTC

First trailer is here, seems enjoyably goofy on (very) early evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZ2Tp9yXyM
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

SirBryghtside

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:11 pm UTC

This seems so completely left-field compared to the other movies that we'll have no idea what it'll turn out like until we actually see it. Trailer seemed to have a good sense of humour, though.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:53 pm UTC

Chris Pratt is having a good year. :D
-Adam

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:10 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:This seems so completely left-field compared to the other movies that we'll have no idea what it'll turn out like until we actually see it. Trailer seemed to have a good sense of humour, though.

No matter how you feel about the comic, one of the characters is a humanoid raccoon. You have Vin Diesel on stilts with a single line.

There is no where to go but comedy.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:58 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:No matter how you feel about the comic...

Guardians was great until Bendis decided he needed to write the new series.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:11 pm UTC

Just came back from watching this, and it was a lot of fun!!! Definitely had its own distinct tone, and didn't take itself too seriously. The writers obviously knew their tropes and how to subvert them for great comedic effect.

Spoiler:
I'm glad they didn't magic Groot back at the end when they were all holding hands - I was inwardly groaning in expectation of that happening - having him grow back from a twig is a lot better and more believable. I loved Drax's lack of metaphors, the fact that the leg never came in handy, and the fact that they never actually had Quill and Gamora actually kiss in the end.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:03 pm UTC

It was...glorious. Not directly like the other Marvel superhero movies, but similarly well executed. It's just a ton of fun to watch. Good laughs, great tone. I'm probably going to watch it a coupla more times in theaters, and I don't do that very often at all.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:12 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm glad they didn't magic Groot back at the end when they were all holding hands - I was inwardly groaning in expectation of that happening - having him grow back from a twig is a lot better and more believable. I loved Drax's lack of metaphors, the fact that the leg never came in handy, and the fact that they never actually had Quill and Gamora actually kiss in the end.
Spoiler:
Begone with your pelvic sorcery!

I am by no means well versed in the comics, but perusing Wikipedia a bit makes it seem like this is sort of Groot's shtick (stick haaaa!); he sacrifices himself for the team, and Rocket carefully nurtures him back to life. I thought it was a great underline to their relationship that Rocket absolutely lost it at Groot's death, and Drax, who understands loss himself, was emphathetic towards Rocket. I wanted to see more of Rocket and Groot interactions, but what we got was pretty hilarious. FWIW, evidently Groot is a genius level intellect, and while it's grand seeing him kind of like an eager puppy dog who always... knows what to say...? I think they relied a little on the doofiness of his character for my tastes.

I lost my shit at Drax's lack of metaphors - it's a perpetual joke amongst a few of my coworkers that I am incapable of taking anything in a film at face value, and am always pointing out metaphors in films. I cannot wait to find this clip and send it to them with a caption along the lines of 'THIS IS WHAT IT"S LIKE DEALING WITH YOU ALL'. It'll be grand.

I had a blast in this. It absoLUTELY balances the right amount of slapstick goofiness with 'holyshit a lot of people just died' battle intensity. It suffered a little from being the first in a series centering on characters most people simply know nothing about, but I felt it managed to do a fair amount of solid characterization without boring monologues or silly forlorn gazing down memory lane. I am extremely excited for sequels.

And holy shit is Batista enormous. And that guys eye, we definitely need that guys eye.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:47 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:12 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Re: I am Groot
I cried a little. That was beautiful.

EDIT: Actually, maybe ST, can someone remind me if there's a character trope like this? Chewbacca-like, an intelligent companion that only a few characters can understand, is clearly intelligent but also kind of behaviorally childish for comic relief? It's not terribly practical, but I've always really dug the characters that let their actions speak for them.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:10 pm UTC

The Big Guy, Class 4?

*Edit*

Disney is sitting on a merchandising goldmine.
Spoiler:
See this?

Yeah. Modify that. You know what I mean.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:57 am UTC

As soon as that was going on, half the people in the theater started whispering something about ThinkGeek merchandising. Yeah. I'd totally get one.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:52 pm UTC

It wasn't until I read something GraphiteGirl asked that it really coalesced in my head what I was having a problem with.
Spoiler:
Drax is presented as a literal person, the example being "Nothing goes over my head. I would catch it, I have very fast reflexes" or whatever.

So why'd he call Gamora a whore? This would be sensible if, for example, she was known to commonly pose as a prostitute in order to get closer to people she was planning on killing. Or if it was known that she was taken from a brothel to serve, or dozens of other explanations for some sort of experience with working on the seller side of the sex industry. But there's not - we aren't given any evidence of that, and the character historically has not done that sort of work.

There some cut scene or something? The only explanation I've found is that he picked up on it from what other prisoners were yelling at her, but that's kinda a stretch.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:43 pm UTC

Another criticism I read observed that Drax as the straight man is sort of broken when Gamora is also used as a straight man;
Spoiler:
"Who put sticks up their butts?"

murbard

Postby murbard » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:34 pm UTC

For those who have seen the movie, how many thought of xkcd 890?
"What's a raccoon?"

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:12 am UTC

"I'm taking orders from a hamster"

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:56 pm UTC

So this is great etc etc.

Anyone happen to know the order of the songs used in the film? Amazon has "awesome mix vol 1" for sale, but it's for sure not in the correct order because it has a song not even in the film, and the song used in the first scene is definitely not the one listed on the soundtrack.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:02 pm UTC

Howard the duck for the win.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:28 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:So this is great etc etc.

Anyone happen to know the order of the songs used in the film? Amazon has "awesome mix vol 1" for sale, but it's for sure not in the correct order because it has a song not even in the film, and the song used in the first scene is definitely not the one listed on the soundtrack.

I'm going by memory, so I cannot for the life of me remember where the Raspberries "Go All the Way" played, but "Spirit in the Sky" was only ever featured in a trailer.

Cold Opening - 10cc "I'm not in Love."
Title Sequence - Redbone "Come and Get Your Love."
Kyln Entrance - Blue Swede "Hooked on a Feeling."
Kyln Escape - Rupert Homes "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)."
Knowhere Entrance - David Bowie "Moonage Daydream."
Knowhere Bar - Elvin Bishop "Fooled Around and Fell in Love."
Eve of Battle Montage - The Runaways "Cherry Bomb."
Wreckage of the Dark Aster - The Five Stairsteps "O-O-H Child."
Ending - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell "Ain't No Mountain High Enough."
Credits - Jackson 5 "I Want You Back."

Edit: I remember where "Go All the Way" plays. It's right as Quill is leaving Morag and remembers his stowaway pink Kree girl (or, ya know, whatever race she is).

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:23 am UTC

Sweet, thanks! Off-hand I remember that
Spoiler:
the last two songs are from "Vol. 2", I specifically remember there being two but not which ones they were,
but I could be wrong.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:04 am UTC

The Time magazine review for this movie reminded me yet again why I completely distrust mass media movie reviewers. For some reason they almost always get it wrong, at least from my perspective as the target audience. I think these reviewers see so many movies that they become jaded and overcritical.

I've switched to relying on Howard Taylor of the Schlock Mercenary webcomic, and haven't been disappointed. He's a geek, and also an author who knows how to put a story together.

Was GotG perfect? no. Was it better than most of the other dreck out there aimed at me? heck yes.

SecondTalon wrote:It wasn't until I read something GraphiteGirl asked that it really coalesced in my head what I was having a problem with.
Spoiler:
Drax is presented as a literal person, the example being "Nothing goes over my head. I would catch it, I have very fast reflexes" or whatever.

So why'd he call Gamora a whore? This would be sensible if, for example, she was known to commonly pose as a prostitute in order to get closer to people she was planning on killing. Or if it was known that she was taken from a brothel to serve, or dozens of other explanations for some sort of experience with working on the seller side of the sex industry. But there's not - we aren't given any evidence of that, and the character historically has not done that sort of work.

There some cut scene or something? The only explanation I've found is that he picked up on it from what other prisoners were yelling at her, but that's kinda a stretch.

This bothered me too, there's no character justification for this, just story justification.
Spoiler:
Immediately after he says that line, blue robot girl says the same thing, and he blasts her for it. Sort of a "I can call my friends this, but you can't" thing

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:30 pm UTC

But..
Spoiler:
there's SO MANY THINGS he could have called her that were also insulting. Given both his and her constant references to honor and dishonor, Dishonorable assassin would work. Or for a general one, murdering bitch. Or hell, just angry bitch even.

For someone who is supposedly and demonstrated to be completely literal and have no concept of metaphor to call someone a sex worker when not only has there been no mention of her ever being involved in sex work and there's a demonstrated example of her finding such work distasteful and something she would not do...makes no sense whatsoever beyond "Writer's gonna use a go-to insult used primarily against women because writers aren't paying attention."

Yes, if you want the "No one calls my friends names" joke, you need a couple of insults before it - I just find the chosen one peculiar.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:46 pm UTC

While the implications of your example are worse,

Spoiler:
I was far more surprised he didn't react to Quill suggesting the team 'give a shit' :P
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:01 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:But..
Spoiler:
there's SO MANY THINGS he could have called her that were also insulting. Given both his and her constant references to honor and dishonor, Dishonorable assassin would work. Or for a general one, murdering bitch. Or hell, just angry bitch even.

Bitch wouldn't work because she's not a dog. Unless you want to say that there are multiple meanings of the word bitch, but then you could say the same thing about whore.

It really makes no sense for someone to not understand common meanings for words and phrases, so really his whole character requires suspension of disbelief IMO.
-Adam

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:22 pm UTC

Which is why it's further weird that Gamora is the one who has problems with literalism at one point ("Who put the sticks in their butts?")

Ultimately, I think these are just cracks in the otherwise strong writing. A friend of mine was complaining that Rocket makes fun of people with disabilities, but I don't think that was the interpretation of that bit at all.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:13 pm UTC

I saw the Gamora one more to do with her just not being familiar with the phrase (so it was more of a 'Quill keeps making references no one understands thing' rather than a 'Gamora is being literal thing'). I've got some strange looks when using phrases people in the UK don't use much, and we're on the same planet! (I once said that we should turn up to a meeting because they just needed warm bodies there for quorum, and was told that was really morbid; and another time got told that sitting around like lumps on a log was somehow crude).

I don't know why Drax called her a whore, but I don't see it being inconsistent with him blasting Nebula for a similar thing later, given that they we're friends at the point he insulted her, but they were when Nebula did.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:29 pm UTC

Drax called Gamora a green whore because that's what the prisoners in the Kyln kept calling her. Similarly, Drax referred to Quill as the man who laid with an A'askvarian because Quill brought it up in the shower. I don't know if either situation has anything to do with his hyper-literalism. It seems to me that Drax just isn't that bright. Also, I don't recall Nebula calling Gamora a whore or anything similar. I thought she was just threatening Gamora when Drax shot her.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:19 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:While the implications of your example are worse,

Spoiler:
I was far more surprised he didn't react to Quill suggesting the team 'give a shit' :P

I also had that thought. I decided it's somewhat acceptable because Quill immediately explains what he means by that...but yeah, it's a reasonable thing to think.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:55 pm UTC

I thought the film was just a little bit too fluffy. There's just no escaping the knowledge that probably 90% of everything was done in front of a green screen and that two characters were entirely nonexistent. And yet, it doesn't get much better these days. It might be nice to watch it again with captions, as some bits went by too quickly.

Was anyone else reminded a little of The Chronicles of Riddick?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:04 pm UTC

Riddick? Not really at all. Riddick is a series that takes itself so seriously it becomes campy. This is a universe that doesn't take itself remotely seriously to be campy.

Which two characters did you feel were nonexistent?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:26 pm UTC

I'm assuming Rocket and Groot (also with Rocket in that one).

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:10 pm UTC

Huuuuuh. I felt Rocket had better characterization than Gamora. Groot had virtually zero characterization, but I feel he and Rocket exist as a pair anyway, unless you get into more of his backstory stuff.

I'd say in terms of fleshed-outed-ness, it goes Starlord>>>>Rocket/Groot>Drax>Gamora. But I highly disagree that Rocket/Groot had no character depth. We see Rocket cry twice for entirely different reasons, and one of those reasons actually has foreshadowing associated with it;

Spoiler:
In the bar, he's losing it over being called a freak, because evidently his origin of being some kind of Frankenstein is shameful or too much to bear. At the prison, when he and Quill leave the orange decontamination chamber, Rocket kind of angrily/shamefully turns around and we see all those cybernetic holes in his back.

I think the Rocket/Groot pairing works really well, since Rocket is kind of reckless, while Groot is calming and more centered.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:26 am UTC

Oh, I didn't mean that Rocket and Groot were nonexistent in the narrative sense; I meant they were nonexistent on set. What springs to mind is that one bit illustrated in Mr. Plinkett's review of Star Wars Episode III, where he shows how big threatening General Grievous springs into action at one point and all Obi-Wan does is stand there, unreacting – because of course the actor's just standing in front of a green screen and has nothing to work with.

But I had not seen those behind-the-scene photos before; evidently they had a little more than that to work with here. I'm surprised to see they actually had a real metal grating floor for the prison scene, but then again that's not particularly difficult to source.

Izawwlgood wrote:Riddick? Not really at all. Riddick is a series that takes itself so seriously it becomes campy. This is a universe that doesn't take itself remotely seriously to be campy.
I think it's a combination of the prison break escape, and the world-busting weapon, and the guy obsessed with death.

How about The Fifth Element, then? Things felt a lot more real in that movie. (The Mangalores, at least, were at least not entirely CG.)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:39 am UTC

Soooooort of. If anything, it felt more Firefly to me. Reluctant hero assembles ragtag band of misfits and somewhat begrudgingly saves the day?

Am I alone in really disliking the old foamcore costumes? The bangalores, the old TMNT, they all looked ridiculous by any standard of special effects. Even the raptors in Jurassic Park looks pretty crappy to me, aside of course, when they were CG and leaping on T-rexes.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 am UTC

What about the Vogons in HHGG? One of the more prominent uses of puppetry in a recent movie, I think.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:17 am UTC

They were done pretty well, but A ) required more robotics than the T-rex in Jurassic Park did (which I also felt was done meh alright), and B ) by in large still looked like puppets to me.

Well executed puppets! But puppets.

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:00 am UTC

So wait... puppets always look like puppets, but CGI doesn't always look like CGI? Huh.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:23 am UTC

Yes? That's basically my point?

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:53 am UTC

Seen the movie twice. I thoroughly enjoy it's witty hilariousness.
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.
Believe in a smiling god.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

infernovia

Re: I AM GROOT! (Guardians of the Galaxy)

Postby infernovia » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:19 pm UTC

3/5. That extra star (almost 1.5 even) for the humor. It's basically Star Trek II/Thor II with more comedy and worse world building. Really bored of the movie outside of the humor honestly. Which, mainly consisting of physical humor and misinterpretations, I am definitely not watching the sequel.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”