Almost Human

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Almost Human

Postby Angua » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:23 am UTC

Is anyone else watching this? I like it - it's fairly goodnatured, though as with a lot of shows it takes technology a bit too far sometimes. It's got a few story arcs and mysteries going, but doesn't spend too much time on them.

Also, the writers must have really liked Scrubs (unless they and the writers of Scrubs both liked the same thing?).

Spoiler:
I'm really curious to find out about the wall. They obviously have contact with other cities and other countries, so I really want to know what exactly they are walling out.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Almost Human

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:26 pm UTC

I'm a handful of episodes behind. Firstly, Michael Ealy is fucking hot. I... am not sure I have much else to add.

Ok, I do. The show has at times great integration of cool future technologies, and simultaneously totally drops the ball with the luddite John as a rough cop. It's silly that someone could be alive in this time, and be not just anti-tech, but so utterly incapable of using it. I think the writing is a little sophomoric, but the show is by in large cool and thoughtful enough that I'm totally cool with it.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:37 pm UTC

That's pretty similar to how I feel about the show. I'm also a big Karl Urban fan.

I feel like the show had a lot of momentum for the first handful of episodes and it's started to lag a bit for me. I'm still really enjoying it, though.

I really enjoy the various criminal technologies, especially the ones that aren't super flashy, but do do something cool or clever.

I think my favorite example was in the 2nd or 3rd episode with the
Spoiler:
DNA bomb. Some show writers might think: cool, here's some tech that manages to erase all DNA evidence in an area.

Which sorta sounds cool on paper, but instead of going that route, they totally flipped it and the DNA bomb just completely tainted the entire scene making it basically worthless from a forensics stand point. Very clever.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:05 am UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:I feel like the show had a lot of momentum for the first handful of episodes and it's started to lag a bit for me.

They're airing them out of order. It's hard to maintain momentum when the character relationships keep hopping back and forth.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:15 am UTC

Son of a bitch. Well that figures. Why does anyone ever think that's a good idea?
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:06 am UTC

I'm watching it all on Hulu. What order did it air in?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:43 am UTC

Why on earth does anyone decide to air tv shows out of order?

Also, how do you find out whether or not your show is being aired out of order?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:13 am UTC

Just saw the episode the XRM. I... think there's a lot of really squandered opportunity in this show with AI philosophy. It's got fun twists, but by in large isn't really pushing the envelope.

Also, I guess there's a wall now!

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:00 am UTC

I believe they were intended to be seen in production code order:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_al ... s#Episodes

So they are being broadcast in the order 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 3, 10, 2, 9, 4, 11, 12, 13.

As for why they do it, I have no idea. Maybe they look at how marketable the episode is (guest stars etc.), see what else is being broadcast in that timeslot, and try to optimize viewership. Probably makes sense in shows where each episode is totally standalone.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:02 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Also, I guess there's a wall now!

When we got to that episode, my mum and I were all 'Wait, what? Wall, there's a wall? What's the wall? What's behind the wall? Tell us about the wall?

See my above spoiler I guess.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:25 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm a handful of episodes behind. Firstly, Michael Ealy is fucking hot. I... am not sure I have much else to add.

Ok, I do. The show has at times great integration of cool future technologies, and simultaneously totally drops the ball with the luddite John as a rough cop. It's silly that someone could be alive in this time, and be not just anti-tech, but so utterly incapable of using it. I think the writing is a little sophomoric, but the show is by in large cool and thoughtful enough that I'm totally cool with it.

I dunno, I see plenty of people nowadays that suck badly at using tech.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:12 pm UTC

Yeah, that's true... But he's a cop! In a world where the cops specifically cannot keep up with the tech of criminals. You'd think mandatory tech training would be part of what they get up to, or at the very least, recognize that because EVERY COP HAS A FUCKING ANDROID ASSIGNED THEM they'd know how to interface with tech.

It's not so much that he's not an expert of all things tech, it's that someone will say something like 'Oh look, DNA processors were stolen' and he's like 'DNA wasajigits?'. Comon asshole, you don't need to know how to code an AI, but at least understand that they've got DNA processors. They ham up his ludditism way too much for my liking.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:17 pm UTC

It sounds like the MXs are relatively new though - I got the impression that the DRN's were the first model assigned to police officers, and then they got recalled. I'm not sure how long they would have had MXs before that kerfuffle at the begin where they refused to go and help save the guys.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:43 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Yeah, that's true... But he's a cop! In a world where the cops specifically cannot keep up with the tech of criminals. You'd think mandatory tech training would be part of what they get up to, or at the very least, recognize that because EVERY COP HAS A FUCKING ANDROID ASSIGNED THEM they'd know how to interface with tech.

It's not so much that he's not an expert of all things tech, it's that someone will say something like 'Oh look, DNA processors were stolen' and he's like 'DNA wasajigits?'. Comon asshole, you don't need to know how to code an AI, but at least understand that they've got DNA processors. They ham up his ludditism way too much for my liking.

Yeah, mandatory training exists for cars, too, and I still see people doing straight up stupid things. And they certainly don't know jack about how their cars work. I mean, I'm amazed that people still don't know that oil needs to be changed, but it's ceased surprising me that people are clueless.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:44 pm UTC

I also don't like how weak the police captain is, and how in one episode she was sort of unwound by a psychopath telling her she just craved the attention of men. I think it's problematic that the futuristic cop drama has cops that appear to be lamer characters than the leads in Brooklyn 99, a slapstick cop comedy.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:46 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:Yeah, that's true... But he's a cop! In a world where the cops specifically cannot keep up with the tech of criminals. You'd think mandatory tech training would be part of what they get up to, or at the very least, recognize that because EVERY COP HAS A FUCKING ANDROID ASSIGNED THEM they'd know how to interface with tech.

Yeah, mandatory training exists for cars, too, and I still see people doing straight up stupid things. And they certainly don't know jack about how their cars work. I mean, I'm amazed that people still don't know that oil needs to be changed, but it's ceased surprising me that people are clueless.

Or the millions of people that use computers every day, but have no idea what to do when it stops behaving like they expect it to is a very widespread problem. It's a bit too cliché, but people being dismissive technology of or oblivious to how it works, even though they use it every day, is and will be a problem.

Izawwlgood wrote:I also don't like how weak the police captain is, and how in one episode she was sort of unwound by a psychopath telling her she just craved the attention of men. I think it's problematic that the futuristic cop drama has cops that appear to be lamer characters than the leads in Brooklyn 99, a slapstick cop comedy.

So one moment of weakness, caused by a very intelligent psychopath, opposed to the calm and collected person she normally is and she is a lame character?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:10 am UTC

I said lamer. The most recent few episodes show her as being a bit stronger, but by in large I'm not convinced she's a captain as much as a plot device.

Re; Jack being a Luddite: Again though, it's not that he doesn't know how everything works, it's that he doesn't know half of this stuff even exists. The show does a pretty cool job showing neat future tech incorporated into various things, like the virtual post its and the super sleek cellphones, but they spend too much dialog explaining plot devices to him to advance the story, when he should just be like 'Oh yeah, DNA processors, man, that could be bad news if he plans on raising an army.'

He's made some good detective insights that I liked, but by in large I find myself not super impressed with most of the characterization.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:54 am UTC

Well, I'd agree with not super impressed. But if the things the criminals stole were everyday object, they probably wouldn't steal it, if you know what I mean.

It'd be like a show set in modern day, case 1 they steal a shipment of C4. Everyone knows what C4 is and what it does. Yet a criminal skilled enough to steal and employ C4 could probably make his own explosives using fertilizer and some additives as well. Compare it to a guy stealing a shipment of tritium. The average citizen (or police officer) probably doesn't even know this stuff exists, let alone what it can be used for. Same with your DNA processors, can they be used to analyze DNA or build it from the ground up? Or is it one of those computer systems using DNA instead of microprocessors? If it's the last one, a lot of people won't even know there's actual research being done into those at this very moment

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:47 pm UTC

So, just watched the pilot episode, and I have a couple of questions before I commit to watching the rest of the show.

1) Is the racism (androidism?) against androids explored at all? There was a bit of that in the first episode

2) Does the main hero get any better? The whole thing at the start when he was trying to save his partner and the android wouldn't help was terrible, in my opinion, as I pretty much agreed with the android in that case. Then he beats the crap out of a suspect, and all in all I really dislike him him.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:20 pm UTC

I think that there is a bit of exploration about the androids, but I think that's something that is going to develop slowlyas Dorian seems to be fairly unique at the moment. Everything so far has been fairly subtle, I think.

The interaction between John and Dorian definitely gets a lot better, and I feelhe's got better, but I could be getting used to him - he's certainly supposed to give off the bad cop vibe of the two. the supporting characters also get flashed out a bit more whichreally helps too. I always try to give characters a pass in the pilot because there's often somuch exposition that they end up a bit caricatured, then get more human in the latter ones, and then may get flanderised later on. we're currently still in the human stage though.

please forgive the state of this post, my phone is really terrible at this.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:56 pm UTC

I'm up to date on the show, and there has been maybe an episodes worth of content exploring the consciousness of the androids. I actually think the episode with the XRN dropped a few psuedo retcons on how the ARNs and MXs work, with respect to the emotional responsiveness of the ARNs ('synthetic souls') and the way they're missing in the MXs.

All together, I think the conversations that Dorian has with various people are the most interesting part of the shows. At one point he's told by Rudy (the tech, I think his names Rudy?) that he's been dusted off periodically over the years for conversation, and Rudy deleted the conversations. Dorian asks to have the conversations uploaded, and then goes "We are friends, you know". I found that really touching.

I totally want an ARN companion.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”