Son of God... Seriously?

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Christo

Son of God... Seriously?

Postby Christo » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:00 pm UTC

It's pretty hard to offend me, but this movie Son of God and the critics response to it has sent me over the edge. It's currently sitting at 23% on RT, and the general consensus is that it's authentic and earnest and boring. So, it's gotten bad reviews.

You can catch the trailer here if you want: Son of God

This is ridiculous! And let me make it clear, I'm not bothered because of my religious beliefs (or lack thereof). I'm offended as an English major! The movie seems to have taken some of the most influential words of the western canon and had them rewritten by tweens.

For example, Jesus calls Peter to join him. Does he say, "I will make you fishers of men"? No. He says, "We're going to change the world."

In another scene, Jesus says to Mary, "It has begun."

You think when Pontius sentences him to be crucified, Jesus will have a witty one-liner like "Don't cross me"?

Ugh. Authentic? Earnest? This is the disneyfication of the most important literary text ever written. Literates and believers and literate believers should ALL be offended!
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

LaserGuy

Re: Son of God... Seriously?

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:31 am UTC

I hate those trailers where they basically give away the entire movie.

Yeah, looks terrible. Also, it looks like this movie is basically just a re-edit of a mini-series from the History Channel. This clip look familiar?

Christo

Postby Christo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:50 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:I hate those trailers where they basically give away the entire movie.

Can't tell if you're kidding about this part. I mean, we know how the story ends right?

Thanks for the clip. It really does look awful. Why in the world do they have English accents!
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:35 am UTC

Christo wrote:Why in the world do they have English accents!

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:42 pm UTC

Christo wrote:This is ridiculous! And let me make it clear, I'm not bothered because of my religious beliefs (or lack thereof). I'm offended as an English major! The movie seems to have taken some of the most influential words of the western canon and had them rewritten by tweens.

Ugh. Authentic? Earnest? This is the disneyfication of the most important literary text ever written. Literates and believers and literate believers should ALL be offended!

These are probably pretty similar to the complaints the catholic church had when folks first translated the Bible into English.
-Adam

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:39 pm UTC

Christo wrote:You think when Pontius sentences him to be crucified, Jesus will have a witty one-liner like "Don't cross me"?

If the acting is wooden enough, a cross is superfluous.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:27 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
Christo wrote:You think when Pontius sentences him to be crucified, Jesus will have a witty one-liner like "Don't cross me"?

If the acting is wooden enough, a cross is superfluous.

On the other hand, who knows - maybe the actor will nail the part.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:09 pm UTC

BLASPHEMER!
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:46 pm UTC

It doesn't matter how good it is and you know it. Church groups will press for their entire congregations to spend their money seeing it just to demonstrate their faith and market share. That is, as long as Jesus is White.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:14 pm UTC

English accents are popular in fantasies.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:25 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:

English accents are popular in fantasies.

They feature quite prominently in all of mine.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”