Stephen Colbert to host the Late Show

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Stephen Colbert to host the Late Show

Postby Lazar » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:45 pm UTC

The rumors are true.

I think it's a great move. Colbert-as-himself may be a bit of an unknown quantity, but he'll have been playing the Report character 160 days a year for over 9 years - more screentime than Tony Soprano, Gregory House and Walter White combined - and I'd be surprised if he wasn't tired of the role by now. As for Craig Ferguson, I love him dearly, and I think moving him to 11:30 would have killed the magic of his show. (You think they'd let him keep his raunchy jokes, robot skeleton and pantomime horse?) All indications seem to be that he didn't want it.
Exit the vampires' castle.

roband

Re: Stephen Colbert to host the Late Show

Postby roband » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:01 pm UTC

That's a character? I don't get American TV shows.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:02 pm UTC

I don't think I've seen any of his stuff that wasn't the persona actually?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:46 pm UTC

I saw one interview where Colbert dropped the persona. I think it was with the actual people who make Gorillaz music. He (in character) acted appalled that he was to interview people who pretend to be someone else all the time and stormed off. Then, he came back (as himself) and did the interview. He was polite and softspoken, even kind of boring.

It's gotten pretty common for presidential candidates to go on late night talk shows while campaigning. Hopefully, this means Colbert will get to interview them.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:56 pm UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:It's gotten pretty common for presidential candidates to go on late night talk shows while campaigning. Hopefully, this means Colbert will get to interview them.

As Colbert or as "Colbert"?

I can't imagine him completely dumping his current schtick. Maybe he'll keep "Colbert" for skits or monologues.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:10 am UTC

On one hand, it'll usher in a different set of viewers for the Late Night stuff.

On the other hand, as long as colbert keeps being casually transphobic, I won't watch it.
...It made more sense in my head.

Sean Quixote

Postby Sean Quixote » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:20 am UTC

Sigh. To vastly understate it, I'm disappointed by this. And as if the simple fact of the Report's days being numbered (even if it's only an inequality at this point) wasn't bittersweet enough, now I have to deal with him obliquely, aloofly referencing the situation in-character for the remainder of that time. :|

I suppose I won't go so far as refusing to recognize the upsides to this. The show/character can't possibly last forever, and even though it's exactly the same time slot it's not quite a "late night" program, and those pretty much are eternal. It'll be a chance for him to renew some of the things he already does and do it for however long he feels like. If you're one of those who feels like the character is going or has gone stale you probably like the idea of getting to know the "real" face of Colbert; and if you aren't one of those, as already mentioned, the end of the Report doesn't necessarily have to mean the end of the character "Stephen Colbert".

But speaking of unknown quantities, I honestly feel like going more in that direction may have been a better choice... I have a sense that the executives who make these decisions want to pick someone they feel will last as long as Carson or Leno or Letterman did, and I'm sure Colbert certainly could (but on that note, who else will be fucking PISSED if we somehow get a rerun of what happened to Conan?), but still, why the hell not take a bit of a "risk"? Pick someone who hasn't already hosted a talk show, and/or maybe even go for a tiny bit of diversity and pick a non-white-dude, you know? Assuming your candidate won't be quitting a show they already had (like Conan and Colbert), who really cares if they don't "stand the test of time" or whatever?

Meh. Perhaps with time I can come to accept and MAYBE even appreciate this move, but I won't be trying very hard to get there, either. =\

Brosephini

Postby Brosephini » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:40 pm UTC

For some time I got comedy Central Central program in my country and I have seen his shows. He does a good job here and I think he'll also do a good job there.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”