X-Men: Future Days of Past

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: X-Men: Future Days of Past

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:07 pm UTC

Well, power levels depend on the writer, after all. Wolverine either just heals up from normal bangs and scrapes much faster (taking hours or days to heal what would take weeks or months)....

Or he heals up so quickly that if you carved flesh off his body, it'd be sealed up and whole before the cut-off flesh hit the floor.

And .. just to keep beating a dead horse...it does appear that the Quicksilver in the movie is moving faster than Quicksilver in the comics (who tops out at Mach 10 and usually travels slower) so, there's that too. I'm also pretty sure Cyclops's eyes aren't portals to the Punch Dimension (I am not making that up, except for the name) and that the Juggernaut has nothing to do with Cyttorak, so.. there's that too.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:20 am UTC

Chen wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:
nitePhyyre wrote:The speeds he was going in the kitchen scene had to be at the higher ends of relativistic speeds.
I haven't seen the film. Are you sure he was moving that fast?
The scene was about 2 minutes long I'd say. Bullets traveled about 3-5 meters I'd say in that time.
He's right. Now that he's mentioned it, the bullets did move across almost the whole room. Earlier I was thinking that he'd done the whole thing instantly.

Diadem wrote:I didn't feel unrealistic that hundreds of sentinels could defeat the few remaining mutants, especially if the sentinels were designed to specifically counter their powers.
The only reason it felt that way is because Storm decided not to show up at that battle. I think maybe they just didn't have the budget? They could have just made horde levels of sentinels. Just massive swarms. Like in the world war z movie except the zombies are all sentinels. Then sure I could buy the whole thing. Have enough of them that you could drop nukes or RKVs on them all day long and there'd still be more of them.

They could have made them replicators. They programmed them to adapt. One day one of them decided that the best way to adapt to a mutant it was fighting was to create more of itself. It was not long after that that the sentinels started to hunt humans. Boom, an existential threat. But no, they didn't do that. Instead, they just nerfed everyone.

Diadem wrote:I did kind of wonder how the mutants ended up losing the war in the first place though. Surely it should have been pretty trivial for a group of mutants to assassinate all the human leadership in the first hours of the war. The speedster guy (Quicksilver?) could have done it alone.
Nightcrawler did it easily enough.

Zcorp wrote:Its really to bad sony and fox aren't willing to give up their rights to spider-man or x-men respectively, or at least get writers who will treat the IP with a bit more respect.
QFT. Fantastic Four and Daredevil as well.

I think for it to happen though, we'd have to stop watching them all.
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

Zcorp

Postby Zcorp » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:45 am UTC

nitePhyyre wrote:
Zcorp wrote:Its really to bad sony and fox aren't willing to give up their rights to spider-man or x-men respectively, or at least get writers who will treat the IP with a bit more respect.
QFT. Fantastic Four and Daredevil as well.

I think for it to happen though, we'd have to stop watching them all.

Aye, they would have to stop making money and they would have to be convinced they couldn't make money, despite how well Marvel is doing with their own stuff. But really they don't even have to give it back to Marvel, they just need to stop making it so much worse than what Marvel is doing. Also never hire Brian Singer to do anything again, he did one good thing and everything else he touches is made worse by it.

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:36 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Well, power levels depend on the writer, after all.

This. It's absurd to take the movie to task for overpowering or underpowering your favorite mutant when the source material, the comics, plays fast and loose with mutant powers all the time, based upon the writer and the needs of the story.
"Reasonable – that is, human – men will always be capable of compromise, but men who have dehumanized themselves by becoming the blind worshipers of an idea or an ideal are fanatics whose devotion to abstractions makes them the enemies of life."
-- Alan Watts, "The Way of Zen"

Zcorp

Postby Zcorp » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:07 pm UTC

A large portion criticism is about how the mutants didn't even use the powers they were shown as having in the movie in a creative way. Really it just that every fight sequence with the sentinels was lost only because the mutants were so dumb with the powers the writers, in this specific rendition, gave them.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:55 pm UTC

Shitty writing is shitty writing. Writers not writing to the logical outcome but instead going for Cool is shitty writing. Mutants, more than most superheroes, have such odd powers on the whole that it takes a clever person to make "useless" powers incredibly useful. Gambit, for whatever reason, got stuck with playing cards when a handful of BBs would be far more effective. Jubilee, often considered useless, can apparently generate her fireworks inside a human skull. Her fireworks have a minor to moderate amount of push. You see where this could lead. Does it? Nope.

Scarlet Witch and Longshot are the two most powerful mutants on the planet, and they're treated as B to D raters in favor of the guy who summons energy from the punch dimension and can't turn it off and the guy who heals up real good and has knives - in a world with guns, lasers, high-powered magnetically thrown projectiles and so on - stuck in his arms. As well as a metal skeleton with the aforementioned magnetic guy being a primary enemy.

The goddamn Blob should be able to stop Wolverine and Cyclops at the same time without breaking a sweat, and he is outclassed by the Juggernaut. And none of them should be able to touch the probability manipulators - Scarlet Witch, Longshot and probably a few others.

Because writers and artists would rather have scenes of a pointy-ear-ish guy snarling and eyebeams. Eyebeams are easy to draw, snarling knifeman is fun to draw. Having a muscle bruiser punching things into submission is easy to write. Scarlet waving her hands and everyone but Longshot simultaneously having brain aneurisms isn't fun to draw, despite being what'd happen. Or at least tripping on cracks in pavement, shoelaces, unnecessary capes and so on. And then Scarlet and Longshot would go back to their bizarre duel of Scarlet making structurally sound buildings collapse on him, and Longshot just happening to be standing in the empty window that crashes around him and the structure buckles in such a way that he's perfectly fine and so on.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:08 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Shitty writing is shitty writing. Writers not writing to the logical outcome but instead going for Cool is shitty writing.

That's a very narrow view. Writing involves a lot more than arriving at the "logical outcome." Good characters, good relationships, pacing, plot, language . . . any and all of those are more important than a narrow logical consistency. Which is why you frequently see good writers sacrifice logic, or not care much about it to begin with, to optimize one of the more important elements of a good story.
Scarlet Witch and Longshot are the two most powerful mutants on the planet, and they're treated as B to D raters in favor of the guy who summons energy from the punch dimension and can't turn it off and the guy who heals up real good and has knives - in a world with guns, lasers, high-powered magnetically thrown projectiles and so on - stuck in his arms. As well as a metal skeleton with the aforementioned magnetic guy being a primary enemy.

Because it's not about the powers. It's about the characters. People and relationships. That's what the story is about.
Last edited by EMTP on Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Reasonable – that is, human – men will always be capable of compromise, but men who have dehumanized themselves by becoming the blind worshipers of an idea or an ideal are fanatics whose devotion to abstractions makes them the enemies of life."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:00 pm UTC

Can you dial down the Aspergers a little bit?

Please see Rule #1 and Rule #7. I'll give you a handy link.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:02 pm UTC

I thought it was a genuinely funny, enjoyable movie, although young Magneto just kind of...dude.

Dude.

("Includes The Wolverine and Origins: Wolverine spoilers")
Spoiler:
They managed to make the world-killing Sentinels in the timeline where they didn't have Bolivar Trask, and you think it's a good idea to assassinate the president? I just...dude.

If he had just stopped at "discrediting Bolivar Trask", he would have gotten everything he wanted and won. Instead, he once again sets back the cause of mutant rights by a few more decades.

Charles really, really should have patched Eric in to young Eric to educate him on why "constantly trying to genocide humanity even when your future self sends a messenger to say 'for fuck's sake please stop'" is a bad idea.

It's like wizards with the Muggles, except that in that case the muggles are legitimately no threat in a head-on war, so if you're seriously worried about modern-day witch hunts you're partially justified. With the X-Men...you're messing with the very tools they will use to exterminate you, please just stop. Arg.

Also, kind of annoying that they come up with a retcon to explain why Professor X was walking in the Origins Wolverine and X3, yet f' it up by having it be tied to his telepathy -- which he used explicitly in both those scenes. And also that, even with his twin's body, I guess he managed to get shot again?

Oh, and why is Wolverine shocked to have his bone claws again? That's what he had at the end of The Wolverine, which even had the direct leadin to this movie. And also, where the heck is Victor? They should have still been together as of this movie. Do they split up between wars? Doesn't that defeat the whole point?

I get that making an entertaining movie is more important than internal consistency, but...they're not forgetting minor details here, these were supposed to be big pieces of characterization for major characters. Arg

Definitely like Fox Quicksilver, tho, even if Marvel Quicksilver is gonna be more..."cool", I guess. I'm gonna like him more, but Fox version is still good.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:46 pm UTC

Zcorp wrote:A large portion criticism is about how the mutants didn't even use the powers they were shown as having in the movie in a creative way. Really it just that every fight sequence with the sentinels was lost only because the mutants were so dumb with the powers the writers, in this specific rendition, gave them.

I did hope for future Mags to drop a ton of sentinels in a steel tornado of death or something. Don't get me wrong...I understand that narratively, they have to be losing, and the explosion bit was quite cool, but...if you're going for awesome, go all the way. You can still get to the same end while satisfying the desire to see them really cut loose.

SecondTalon wrote:Shitty writing is shitty writing. Writers not writing to the logical outcome but instead going for Cool is shitty writing. Mutants, more than most superheroes, have such odd powers on the whole that it takes a clever person to make "useless" powers incredibly useful. Gambit, for whatever reason, got stuck with playing cards when a handful of BBs would be far more effective

There was one particular scene in the Ultimate Xmen when someone took away his cards and started mocking him. He said "Power's not in the cards, it's in me", and charged the dude's head. Boom. That kind of thing is awesome, but invariably soon forgotten.

I generally like Magneto though...especially in first class. In first class, he was the hero, full stop. I'm always fonder of sympathetic portrayals of him, not the crazed random stuff the lazier writers use. Overall, I enjoyed this movie quite a lot, but there was a coupla moments where I wanted a bit more.

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:00 pm UTC

Magneto's a fine character, but I could do without the seemingly obligatory scene where we Move a Holy-Shit Huge Object to Accomplish Something Trivial. No, let's not float a bus over to Alcatraz with the strike team, we need to move the entire Golden Gate bridge . . . can't just pick up a fence at the hardware store and drop it around the White House, we need a stadium . . . I guess this is used to give us a sense of the scale of Magneto's abilities, but I wish the writers would find cleverer ways to make that point -- the escape scene in X2, for example, I thought was very well done.

In the last two movies, Magneto's character was forced onto an arc where he is basically a heroic, sympathetic character, then in the last 30 minutes or so the writers try to demonstrate to us that he's still a scary, dangerous bad guy. That last act, with it's Lucy-holding-the-football quality, seems a little route to me, and I hope we've seen the last of it now.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:15 am UTC

I found it humorous that this entire movie was nearly a duplicate of the cartoon show, "Wolverine & the X-Men", including ending with

Spoiler:
Apokalyps being the next threat. And they probably cut out the Phoenix plot because it was done in the other movies.

Seriously, they're nearly the same! Wolverine & the X-Men is a pretty good watch too. Also going to recommend Young Justice from the DC universe. Both shows had excellent writing and animation budgets.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:40 pm UTC

I really enjoyed it! It wasn't the tightest of films, and towards the halfway mark, characters were still acting fairly foolishly, but this definitely felt like the best X-Men yet. I enjoyed 'Blink' (feh, Blink my ass) hearing there's a guy out there who can control magnetism, and saying 'Huh, my mum knew someone like that'.

Couple of nitpicks;
Spoiler:
Magneto impregnates the sentinels with metal, so he can use them, and then rather than deciding to make it look like they're running and amock and saving the day, he... destroys a huge part of Washington and assaults the President... Brilliant! I couldn't tell if he was on board with the plan or not; he tried to kill Mystique, which suggests he believed Wolverine, but then he tried to destroy Mutant-Human relations even further by doing what he did.

Mystique proves mutants are good by... impersonating the President on live television and then not killing him?

After Wolverine is tossed aside (in an incidentally very cool mirror of how Magneto rips his adamentium out), all the actions in the future are basically set and moot. So the tension of having the future Sentinels murderize the future X-Men, and then stop short of murderizing Xavier and crew is moot. But, hey, TIMETRAVEL

I felt the ending with Mystique disguised as Striker actually recovering Wolverine was also weird and unneccesary. Either real Striker would have done it and Wolverine would have undergone Weapon-X again anyway, OR, Mystique could have gotten literally anyone else to recover him. I'm not sure why they chose to hide her as Striker.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:48 pm UTC

Izzy, I think you meant Quicksilver, Blink is the one with the portals.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:59 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Izzy, I think you meant Quicksilver, Blink is the one with the portals.
I thought they distinctly didn't/couldn't call him Quicksilver? I may have misheard something.

EDIT: Halle Berry said there was something shocking/revealing about storm? What was it?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:48 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:EDIT: Halle Berry said there was something shocking/revealing about storm? What was it?

Spoiler:
That she dies after doing very little? And the trailer that makes it look like she's going to get killed, actually IS her getting killed?

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:58 pm UTC

I like when films have a good enough atmosphere that I don't notice plot holes and inconsistencies on the spot, so I'm okay with this movie. It was also better than X3.

Spoiler:
I don't really like time travel in film because of how wonky it gets and how it usually makes me suspend disbelief, but I'm glad they spent most of their time in the past following up on First Class (which I think was also not a bad movie) instead of Oh me yarm THE SENTINELS ARE GONNA KILL US ALL every few seconds.

Also those deaths at the end were kind of gratuitous. The one sentinel ERASING THE GUY'S FACE WITH FIRE, the other guy being torn in half, like, wtf? Also gonna echo the sentiment that the sentinels didn't seem like they were enough to wipe out the mutants in the first place, and that they could've used their powers in the movie better. I guess they were tired of fighting.

I also didn't understand what Mystique finding Wolverine instead of Striker implies. He never showed his claws post-retcon...would they be adamantium?
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
rath358 wrote:manually adding a long list of swear words to my dictionary worked.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:33 pm UTC

On Blink, perhaps the reason she doesn't just use portals to slice the sentinels up is because if they have too many direct interactions with portals they might evolve the ability to create them too, and that would be pretty devastatingly bad for everyone.

Izawwlgood wrote:I thought they distinctly didn't/couldn't call him Quicksilver? I may have misheard something.

I believe it's the Avengers series that cannot refer to the character as Quicksilver (and similarly for Scarlet Witch), because Sony owns the cinematic rights to all X-Men. It's possible they can use the character names, but just not explicitly say they're 'mutants', though, too. I guess it depends what kind of relationship Sony and Disney-Marvel have. I think the character in this movie was indeed called Quicksilver.

Zcorp

Postby Zcorp » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:33 am UTC

Sony has the rights to the characters, it is my understanding Disney jumped through some hoops and possibly payed for or gave back end deals to Sony to use them in the upcoming Marvel movies.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:20 am UTC

I don't recall anyone saying "quicksilver" in the movie at all
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
rath358 wrote:manually adding a long list of swear words to my dictionary worked.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:22 am UTC

Weeks wrote:I don't recall anyone saying "quicksilver" in the movie at all

You may be right. Possibly Marvel managed somehow to retain that name for the Avengers franchise character, then?

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:49 am UTC

Zcorp wrote:
Angua wrote:I didn't really feel that to be honest. Though maybe it's because I don't see it as an US or a Them, because that's not how evolution works. The Neanderthals interbred with humans, and the humans interbreed with the mutants and all the DNA gets mixed up anyhow into a new mutant species. But it doesn't mean homo sapiens has lost anything.

I really do think he was just a bigot who hated them because they are different.

I know that, you know but Trask seemingly didn't. Which means the writers didn't know, did not expect the general audience to know or simply don't care about having bad writing. Then if we look at Simon Kinberg writing credits we can't really tell which of those three it is, but can tell the he pretty consistently is involved in projects with pretty terrible writing. The safest assumption is that Simon isn't particularly thoughtful, knowledgeable or clever about any of the material he writes. So while Trask's belief is pretty stupid, making his argument really stupid it does seem like the most genuine motivation of the character, it just happens to be a stupid one.

From memory the essay Trask is quoting from is the one Xavier wrote as a postgrad back in the sixties.

We didn't know humans and neanderthals interbred back in the sixties/seventies and therefore you're both wrong.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:16 am UTC

Maybe, but even if you take the idea that Neanderthals and Sapiens were different species from a common ancestor, it still doesn't make Mutants separate from Sapiens - if my parents are Humans and I am a Mutant (and my children are Mutants) then their DNA is still living on in me - I'm not a new species that's competing with them, I'm still a Human with one extra gene.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:11 pm UTC

But you'd have a massive advantage compared to non-mutants, even if you weren't directly trying to kill them. So the non-mutant branch of the species would effectively become extinct.

I was disappointed when I went back to watch First Class, that that actually was his thesis. I assumed there'd be a plot point that Trask was mis-quoting him, and it would go on to say something like "but far more powerful than competition is cooperation, see we weren't trying to kill you after all."
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:13 am UTC

no-genius wrote:But you'd have a massive advantage compared to non-mutants, even if you weren't directly trying to kill them. So the non-mutant branch of the species would effectively become extinct.

But it's not a massive advantage if it leads the human race to identify you as an "other" and exterminate you.

Evolution doesn't care how strong you are or if you can teleport, or read minds. It cares if your genes replicate. Evolution is full of examples of things that make an organism less functional, but increase its reproductive success. The X gene as imagined here might be an example of the opposite; it increases your functionality, but decreases your reproductive success.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:29 am UTC

At least until you can start cloning people or abducting them and using them as reproductive slaves. Or some of them adapt to asexually reproduce.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:34 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:At least until you can start cloning people or abducting them and using them as reproductive slaves. Or some of them adapt to asexually reproduce.

I like this comic as an expression of how evolution is often misunderstood by laypeople -- with the blatherings of Xaiver and Magneto about "the next step in evolution" being a prime example:

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:00 am UTC

no-genius wrote:But you'd have a massive advantage compared to non-mutants, even if you weren't directly trying to kill them. So the non-mutant branch of the species would effectively become extinct.

I was disappointed when I went back to watch First Class, that that actually was his thesis. I assumed there'd be a plot point that Trask was mis-quoting him, and it would go on to say something like "but far more powerful than competition is cooperation, see we weren't trying to kill you after all."

Yeah, but the descendants would still have all the non-Mutant DNA. It's only an extinction if you count non-mutant as being somehow really special.

It's like saying that the pale-skinned-mutants in Europe wiped out the dark-skinned because they had a evolutionary advantage there 10 000 years ago or whatever. They didn't, it's just that all the dark-skinned ones eventually had pale-skinned descendants.
GNU Terry Pratchett

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:27 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Maybe, but even if you take the idea that Neanderthals and Sapiens were different species from a common ancestor, it still doesn't make Mutants separate from Sapiens - if my parents are Humans and I am a Mutant (and my children are Mutants) then their DNA is still living on in me - I'm not a new species that's competing with them, I'm still a Human with one extra gene.
Well, taken to it furthest extent, I'm not a different species from the oldest amoeba. I'm just an amoeba with some mutated genes. If you can say that humans and neanderthals are different species with a common ancestor, you can say that mutant and sapiens are different species with a common ancestor. If you can say that mutants and sapiens are the same species with some different genes, you can say the same about Neanderthals and Sapiens, or anything really.
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:23 pm UTC

Humans can still breed with mutants tho.

In a world where mutants reign supreme, there's still no reason that any given human's lineage would be starved into extinction.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:49 pm UTC

nitePhyyre wrote:
Angua wrote:Maybe, but even if you take the idea that Neanderthals and Sapiens were different species from a common ancestor, it still doesn't make Mutants separate from Sapiens - if my parents are Humans and I am a Mutant (and my children are Mutants) then their DNA is still living on in me - I'm not a new species that's competing with them, I'm still a Human with one extra gene.
Well, taken to it furthest extent, I'm not a different species from the oldest amoeba. I'm just an amoeba with some mutated genes. If you can say that humans and neanderthals are different species with a common ancestor, you can say that mutant and sapiens are different species with a common ancestor. If you can say that mutants and sapiens are the same species with some different genes, you can say the same about Neanderthals and Sapiens, or anything really.

Neanderthals and Sapiens could and did interbreed, so, by any standard definition of species, we are the same species.

And, yes, the question of whether humans and ameobas are separate species is illustrative of a problem with the idea of species as fixed - if you follow back to a common ancestor, all species merge into each other - in some cases, you have populations that don't (or can't) interbreed with each other, but both both can and do interbreed with a common third party, forming what's known as a "ring species" - one where if it weren't for the (more or less) continuous transition through the third population, it'd clearly be two different species, but with the third population, there's no gap where you can say it changes from Species A to Species B.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:38 pm UTC

Aren't there ring species that loop on themselves? I'm just mention that as further blurring as to what a species is and is not.

[B can breed with A & C but not D, C can breed with B&D but not A, D can breed with C&A but not B, and A with B&D but not C]

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:06 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Aren't there ring species that loop on themselves? I'm just mention that as further blurring as to what a species is and is not.

[B can breed with A & C but not D, C can breed with B&D but not A, D can breed with C&A but not B, and A with B&D but not C]

You could describe dogs this way. There are several combinations that can and cannot breed together naturally but at least one combination for each breed.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:00 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Aren't there ring species that loop on themselves? I'm just mention that as further blurring as to what a species is and is not.

Sure. I believe Arctic Tern are such a species(though I may be confusing them with other migratory birds). Each population can breed with those closest to it, but not further away ones.

Best not to even investigate duck breeding.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:06 pm UTC

What about horses and donkeys? They can interbreed, but their offspring is sterile (most of the time).

According to Wikipedia "Sterile hybrids are not species in their own right". But mules are neither horses nor donkeys, so what are they?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:05 pm UTC

Horkeys.
Am I gregnant

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:33 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:Horkeys.

No no no, Honkeys, obviously.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:14 am UTC

Not sure if you guys are joking or not, but no. The offspring of a horse and a donkey is a mule. I thought that was a pretty common word?

(Technically a mule is the offspring of a male donkey and female horse. A female donkey and male horse produce a hinny, but those are much rarer).
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:56 am UTC

They're joking. Mule is indeed a common word. I think they technically just aren't a species at all. You'd have to ask a biologist if there's a separate word that covers them.

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:29 am UTC

I have read there is a Rogue Cut in which she takes over from Kitty in the task of holding Wolverine in the past.

In the theatrical release she only appears for a few seconds.

Did Rogue do anything useful through the entire series? Like attack a villain or protect someone or anything?

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”