Steven Universe

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

maybeagnostic
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

Re: Steven Universe

Postby maybeagnostic » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:28 am UTC

Re Rose
Spoiler:
She did look pregnant but I am not sure how relevant that is. While Rose was around, Steven still didn't have a gem so the rules clearly changed for him when the gem became his.

On a vaguely related note, the size of gem bodies seems a little strange to me. A single gem seems to be roughly human-sized while fusions get progressively larger the more gems are involved. Garnet is easily twice as big as Pearl and Amethyst, Opal is even bigger and Alexandrite is the biggest of all the fusions we've seen so far. So we know of six gems (not counting Steven) that are human-sized or a bit smaller in their single form. Jasper seems quite big by comparison but still only the size of a big weightlifter. That leaves Rose who is 8 feet tall and quite imposing. I wonder if there's some hint there like with Garnet's two gems.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4002
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Steven Universe

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:05 pm UTC

Reply to maybe agnostic
Spoiler:
I think there's some variation in size outside of fusion. Ruby, Sapphire and Amethyst are all pretty small. Also, in Pearl's memory/hologram of the gem wars, her and Rose go up against a really big warrior homeworld gem, as big as a x3 fusion, but from what Jasper has said fusion is kinda frowned upon by homeworld. That would suggest to me that some gems are just bigger.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Middletown, RI

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Isaac Hill » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:05 pm UTC

Rose hints (up "Sworn to the Sword")
Spoiler:
In "Jailbreak", when Garnet's fighting Jasper in the modern Homeworld ship, there's three colored triangles in the floor: blue, yellow, and white. They also mention a superior named Yellow Diamond. Presumably, the Diamonds are in charge, and Blue and White Diamond exist(ed).

Pearl says the sky arena from SttS was where some of the first battles were fought, implying that it predates the CG rebellion. It has four colors on its entrance: blue, yellow, white, and pink. It seems like Rose Quratz used to be Pink Diamond before she rebelled.

The temple that's just like the teacups ("Serious Steven", I think) has a mural of Rose, 3 other figures her size, and several smaller figures. I'd guess that this depicts the rebellion, and that Diamonds in general are larger than other Gems.


I read somewhere that the show wasn't too concerned with exact character sizes, just keeping their relative sizes somewhat consistent. I think the example was Pearl's official height is: shorter than Garnet, taller than Lapis. Fusion size (though "Jailbreak")
Spoiler:
I'm not sure if number of Gems relates too directly with size. Alexandrite seems about the same size as Sugilite. Malachite's up there, too, despite only containing 2 Gems to Alexandrite's 4.

There does seem to be a correlation between the compatibility of the fusion and how close to human it looks. Garnet is the best combination of her components and is one eyeball away from looking human. Malachite was formed when one of her components tricked the other, and is the most monsterous.

The temple appears to be based on the fusion of all the CGs; in the pilot, it even shows all 5 gems in the proper locations. In the show, the temple appears more human than Alexandrite, I'd guess because Rose being there helped the others function together as a unit.

Stevonnie looks completely human, but that's probably due to being 3/4 human as much as anything else.

Vol 1 of the Steven Universe comic is out. B&N had it in the childrens' section instead of with the graphic novels which, given the content, was the right call. I was expecting something like the Adventure Time comics, where each volume is mostly one long story. SU was a bunch of short stories.

Vol 1 takes place early in the show's run, before any of the backstory had been revealed, so all the stories are pretty light. There's not much emotional impact, either. Early episodes of the show would have bits like Greg tearing up when being reminded of Rose; there's nothing even that deep in the comic. On the plus side, there's some decently funny bits, and the characters are pretty true to their animated versions.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5660
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Angua » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:09 am UTC

Nightmare hospital
Spoiler:
Lion is adorable.

Also, for the record I don't think any real doctor would have trouble spotting that the corrupted gem mutants aren't human.

Does this mean that Peridot has got another kindergarten up and running? Also, I've always wondered just how long ago the gems fought their war, because 1000 years is a long time for them still to be capturing corrupted gems - have they only just been relatively recently appearing? Why doesn't the rest of humanity seem to know about this when there are massive temples and stuff around? It would be cool to find out more about the larger human world.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5660
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Angua » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:34 pm UTC

Bumping as I've got my bf into this.

His theory:
Spoiler:
Lion is the other half of Rose Quartz - half became Steven and the other half turned into Lion.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4002
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Steven Universe

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:17 am UTC

Angua wrote:Nightmare hospital
Spoiler:
Lion is adorable.

Also, for the record I don't think any real doctor would have trouble spotting that the corrupted gem mutants aren't human.

Does this mean that Peridot has got another kindergarten up and running? Also, I've always wondered just how long ago the gems fought their war, because 1000 years is a long time for them still to be capturing corrupted gems - have they only just been relatively recently appearing? Why doesn't the rest of humanity seem to know about this when there are massive temples and stuff around? It would be cool to find out more about the larger human world.
It was such a good episode! Loved the change of setting and style, very eerie.

Spoilers about timelines, history and world background
Spoiler:
We have seen images of the earth from space and there is at least one US state just missing. The US also appears to have a different flag and money which suggests the presence of gems and the gem war and corrupted gems has wrecked the planet. (I also have a pet theory that there are a lot less humans on the planet, but I don't have much proof of that apart from the fact that so much gem architecture is still around and untouched.)
Nobody in beach city seems that bothered by the fact the crystal gems are around, and the Mahesweran parents who live further out also didn't react with huge suprise when a huge alien woman appeared (nor did Connie's mother seem that freaked out by Steven having magic pink shield powers.) Either it's magical realism and explaining it isn't the point or humanity is dimly aware that weird shit happens.

As for how long ago the gem war was, Pearl has been on Earth for at least 6000 years, I think? She mentions humans being hunter gatherers. I suspect the war would have been pretty early in that timeline because I don't see homeworld tolerating gems just hanging around on a planet apparently slated for mining.

I also don't think peridot has another kindergarten set up, the one we know of is only a car ride and a train ride away. If they were given orders to head towards beach city or even if they were just wandering idly they could easily end up 'injured' and in a local hospital.
Lion is also adorable yes.
Spoiler:
I too have heard the theory he is part of rose and love it, but I'm not sure because she clearly set up some objects she held dear inside lion (I'm dying to find out more about the bubbled bismuth in there) Suggests to me lion is something she already had set up in advance. Either way, I hope to find out more!
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Middletown, RI

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Isaac Hill » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:59 am UTC

Nightmare Hospital and Sadie's Song
Spoiler:
I like whenever Lion the familiar/protector acts like a giant kitty. There's Nightmare Hospital's bit with the Lion Lickers, chomping on Sardonyx's dragonflies, trying to get the paper bag off his nose.

Dr. and Mr. M. seemed to take meeting giant, 6-armed Alexandrite in stride. I don't think humans have had much direct contact with gems, though. When Dr. M. couldn't hear a heartbeat, she assumed her stethoscope was defective. Even though it clearly wasn't a normal human, she still expected it to be organic.

The presence of Gem Temples wouldn't necessarily clue humanity in to much. There's old temples and such in real life that we don't know the purpose of, like Stonehenge. SU just has more of them. Maybe SU's version of "This Is Spinal Tap" has the line, "I think that the problem may have been, that there was a Sky Spire monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf."

Humanity doesn't seem too aware of Gems' existence or history. Mayor Dewey's only gotten as far as figuring out that the Crystal Gems are connected to weird stuff that happens in Beach City, and his family's been running the place for generations. In Ronaldo's movie, Sadie seemed aware that Steven's family stopped the giant hand, but not of what they are. I wouldn't imagine people outside Beach City being more clued in.

I'm curious enough about this that I'd've rather seen Ronaldo's Beachapalooza brief, and the crowd reaction to it, than Sadie and her mom backstage. Sadie's Song was OK, but it was another overbearing mom story right after a superior one.

I'm don't buy the Lion is part of Rose theory. When Rose said she'd become half of Steven, she meant that all of her (in her gem) would be half of Steven, and Greg would contribute the other half of Steven. I don't think she meant there's another half of Rose somewhere. Rose clearly set Lion up in advance, though, since she left her video to Steven in his mane.

If Steven were to have direct contact with his mom, I'd guess it'd be by having his gem removed. He'd lose his magical powers, but Rose could regenerate her physical form from the gem.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

User avatar
Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm UTC
Location: Here, I suppose. I could be elsewhere...

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:35 am UTC

I think they're doing mums at the moment. I liked the episode.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.


she/her/hers
=]

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7561
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Zohar » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:43 pm UTC

Yeah agree on the Moms thing. Curious to see what will happen next. Re: Nightmare hospital:
Spoiler:
At the very end of the episode, Connie and her mom talk so earnestly with one another and how they always want to be frank with each other, and Steven just looks at Rose's sword with this sad and hopeful look on his face, he's holding one of the few things that connect him to his mom (other than himself), but can't talk with her, and it just broke my heart!
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4002
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Steven Universe

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:15 pm UTC

Very minor Sadie's Song spoiler:
Spoiler:
The shoes Steven wore at the end were tiny little white heels with a pink rose on. My girlfriend joked that Rose never wore shoes, clearly she lost them a long time ago and Sadie's family found them :p
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5660
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Angua » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:08 pm UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:Nightmare Hospital and Sadie's Song


Spoiler:
I'm curious enough about this that I'd've rather seen Ronaldo's Beachapalooza brief, and the crowd reaction to it, than Sadie and her mom backstage. Sadie's Song was OK, but it was another overbearing mom story right after a superior one.



I agree that they are themed on Mom's at the moment. However:
Spoiler:
I disagree that these are the same overbearing mothers - Connie's mother has her doing lots of stuff every hour of the day that she wants Connie to do - you don't get the feeling that Connie gets much choice in the matter. Sadie's mother goes overboard at trying to support Sadie when she says she wants to do something. I think they are back to back to contrast each other, and the point that either way can lead to unpleasantness.

Also, Onion's mom's ep was only two before Nightmare hospital - another mother going overboard in their parenting method -letting Onion have so much freedom has led to him feeling neglected.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7561
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Zohar » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:55 pm UTC

Steven Universe (season 1 I guess?) and Neon Genesis Evangelion spoilers:
Spoiler:
If this were a different type of show I could easily see Steven Universe having a "human instrumentality project" moment, i.e. all humanity fusing together into one giant mega-human-blob.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5660
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Angua » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:14 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:Steven Universe (season 1 I guess?) and Neon Genesis Evangelion spoilers:
Spoiler:
If this were a different type of show I could easily see Steven Universe having a "human instrumentality project" moment, i.e. all humanity fusing together into one giant mega-human-blob.
Spoiler:
My bf figures that it's going to end with everyone in beach city fusing as steven can fuse with humans.


Also, head cannony stuff:
Spoiler:
would be cool if we found out that Mars had been visited by the gems before earth and they're the reason it's lifeless. Also, would be cool if Kindergarden is somewhere that is covered in forest in our world, though that's probably more unlikely.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Middletown, RI

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Isaac Hill » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:47 am UTC

NH & SS:
Spoiler:
Angua wrote:I agree that they are themed on Mom's at the moment. However:
I disagree that these are the same overbearing mothers - Connie's mother has her doing lots of stuff every hour of the day that she wants Connie to do - you don't get the feeling that Connie gets much choice in the matter. Sadie's mother goes overboard at trying to support Sadie when she says she wants to do something. I think they are back to back to contrast each other, and the point that either way can lead to unpleasantness.

Also, Onion's mom's ep was only two before Nightmare hospital - another mother going overboard in their parenting method -letting Onion have so much freedom has led to him feeling neglected.

I hadn't thought about "Onion Friend" as another mom episode, but you're right. They're showing three contrasting parenting styles gone wrong so far: lead (Dr. M.), follow (Barb), or get out of the way (Vidalia).

Connie's story benefited from being spread out over multiple episodes. Her relationship with her mom, and Connie concealing the magical side of her friendship with Steven, was the focus "Fusion Cuisine" and brought up in "We Need to Talk". "Nightmare Hospital" was a continuation of that.

All we knew about Sadie's mom before "Sadie's Song" was that she made unnecessary sandwiches. Barb doesn't even show up until maybe a third of the way through the epsiode, and the mother-daughter conversation isn't heard in lieu of Steven's singing. The whole thing was a bit too rushed to have much of an impact. Barb is overbearing in a different way than Dr. M., but the differences were kind of glossed over. Thinking back on it now, I can see the contrast, but it didn't really jump out at me while watching for the first time.

It does explain Saide's friendship with Lars, a bit. His laziness and self-centeredness means he'll never push Sadie to go further than she's comfortable with on anything.

There wasn't a similar resolution in "Onion Friend", where Vidalia realizes she's making parenting errors. Maybe they're setting up a longer arc, like with Connie's mom. Some season 3 episode will end with two minutes of Onion gibberish while Vidalia listens with a "what-have-I-done" expression on her face.


The first time watching, I noticed Ronaldo's chalkboard had a drawing of Peridot, who I figured he'd seen on TV when she sent her message in "Cry for Help". That made sense. Next time, I paused to get a look at the whole chalkboard and saw an equation of pictures, which looked like:
4 diamonds as 1 diamond symbol from the Sky Arena + Injector from Kindergarten = Peridot. How'd he know about the left side of that?

I think Peridot's pod filling with breathable liquid in "Joyride" is a NGE reference.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4002
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Steven Universe

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:58 am UTC

Ronaldo's Beachapalooza thing:
Spoiler:
When Ronaldo stopped believing in snake people and instead came up with the idea of polymorphic rock people and the diamond authority, I assumed it was a little joke to the audience. Now he's doing a talk on it and appears to have the 4 diamonds symbol I am intrigued. A possibility is that some humans have found some old gem places with the symbol on.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7561
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Zohar » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:38 pm UTC

Catch and Release spoilers:
Spoiler:
Well that was certainly a lot of fun. I didn't really expect Peridot to become part of the team (and maybe she won't? but it looks that way), and it's an interesting direction to develop her character and bring in new dynamics into the team.


Re: Homeworld (no episode spoilers):
Spoiler:
Does anyone get the impression all the current Homeworld gems are either bullies or molested/abused?
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Middletown, RI

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Isaac Hill » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:13 am UTC

Ronaldo's Beachapalooza thing:
Spoiler:
TaintedDeity wrote:When Ronaldo stopped believing in snake people and instead came up with the idea of polymorphic rock people and the diamond authority, I assumed it was a little joke to the audience. Now he's doing a talk on it and appears to have the 4 diamonds symbol I am intrigued. A possibility is that some humans have found some old gem places with the symbol on.
I wonder if humans have pieced together anything from the gem remnants they've found. Is there anything to obviously connect Peridot's transmission with, say, the millenia old injectors left at Kindergarten? Or is Ronaldo the only one who's figured it out? It'd be like if someone in the real world had an equation like: Illuminati + Stonehenge = Bigfoot, and they were right.

Catch and Release spoilers
Spoiler:
Zohar wrote:Well that was certainly a lot of fun. I didn't really expect Peridot to become part of the team (and maybe she won't? but it looks that way), and it's an interesting direction to develop her character and bring in new dynamics into the team.
Maybe Peridot will form her own team. There's a growing contingent of gems who trust Steven, but not the other Crystal Gems: the Centipeetle, Lapis Lazuli, and now maybe Peridot. I wouldn't mind few episodes of those three accompanying Steven on adventures.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5660
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Angua » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:44 pm UTC

Catch and Release spoilers:
Spoiler:
What is harvesting? Are the Crystal Gems and their temple powered by the other, corrupted gems? They obviously don't have a problem using other gems as evidenced by the use of Lapis in the mirror. We were told that the Gems bubble the corrupt gems to help protect them until they can figure out how to heal them, however harvesting sounds like they're being used as part of something more sinister in the mean time.

Sure, I'm interested in what the cluster is as well - maybe some gem supermonster that they want to use as a weapon? However, I feel like the harvesting line was one of those things that's thrown in later and doesn't get referenced again until either the end of this season or even next season. We'll probably find out more about the cluster in bits over the next couple of episodes.

Also, I like how Peridot called Steven a 'pebble'. That was cute.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4002
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Steven Universe

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:40 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Catch and Release spoilers:
Spoiler:
What is harvesting? Are the Crystal Gems and their temple powered by the other, corrupted gems? They obviously don't have a problem using other gems as evidenced by the use of Lapis in the mirror. We were told that the Gems bubble the corrupt gems to help protect them until they can figure out how to heal them, however harvesting sounds like they're being used as part of something more sinister in the mean time.

Sure, I'm interested in what the cluster is as well - maybe some gem supermonster that they want to use as a weapon? However, I feel like the harvesting line was one of those things that's thrown in later and doesn't get referenced again until either the end of this season or even next season. We'll probably find out more about the cluster in bits over the next couple of episodes.

Also, I like how Peridot called Steven a 'pebble'. That was cute.
Spoiler:
Peridots insults are the best. I particularly liked that she called Garnet a "warmachine".

I think the harvesting line potentially says more about homeworld? Peridot has no idea what the crystal gems are up to and always seems to assume the worst (which is actually pretty healthy given their propensity for solving problems with violence...). The lapis mirror thing is a valid point, but they seemed to be very confused/appalled that the gem inside was alive/awake etc.

That said... Rose purposefully chose to keep the bismuth bubbled out of the bubble room, perhaps her reasons involve the true purpose of the bubble room.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5660
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Angua » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:19 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:
Spoiler:
I think the harvesting line potentially says more about homeworld? Peridot has no idea what the crystal gems are up to and always seems to assume the worst (which is actually pretty healthy given their propensity for solving problems with violence...). The lapis mirror thing is a valid point, but they seemed to be very confused/appalled that the gem inside was alive/awake etc.

That said... Rose purposefully chose to keep the bismuth bubbled out of the bubble room, perhaps her reasons involve the true purpose of the bubble room.

Spoiler:
I didn't read the gems as being appalled that the gem inside was alive - they definitely didn't like the fact that it had it's own free will which is why they tried to keep Steven away from it (which is fair enough, considering that most gems seem to see humans as ants), but when Lapis accuses them of knowing she was in there, they never seemed to do anything that signified that they thought otherwise.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4002
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Steven Universe

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:34 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:
Spoiler:
I think the harvesting line potentially says more about homeworld? Peridot has no idea what the crystal gems are up to and always seems to assume the worst (which is actually pretty healthy given their propensity for solving problems with violence...). The lapis mirror thing is a valid point, but they seemed to be very confused/appalled that the gem inside was alive/awake etc.

That said... Rose purposefully chose to keep the bismuth bubbled out of the bubble room, perhaps her reasons involve the true purpose of the bubble room.

Spoiler:
I didn't read the gems as being appalled that the gem inside was alive - they definitely didn't like the fact that it had it's own free will which is why they tried to keep Steven away from it (which is fair enough, considering that most gems seem to see humans as ants), but when Lapis accuses them of knowing she was in there, they never seemed to do anything that signified that they thought otherwise.
Spoiler:
They looked pretty appalled to me, but having just checked my partner disagrees, so who knows :P Definitely seems like they new she was in there, though, yeah. Maybe they thought/hoped she wasn't sentient/awake in there.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm UTC
Location: Here, I suppose. I could be elsewhere...

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:48 pm UTC

I got my older brother to watch it and he said that it was very good and he enjoyed it and everything but, 'There isn't a character I can relate to.' & also 'I wish there were more positive male gems.'

It's like, dude. It's not targeted at you, a nerdy guy. That's ok. It's totally ok have some things that don't represent you and aren't made with you in mind because you're everywhere. We don't need Wesley Crusher here. It kind of bothers me that he's unable to see that his self insert isn't necessary in some things and (at least to me) it's a welcome relief to have a boy like Steven Universe.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.


she/her/hers
=]

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7561
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Zohar » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:17 pm UTC

It's also a good skill in life to be able to identify with people who are different from you...
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
PeteP
What the peck?
Posts: 1451
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Re: Steven Universe

Postby PeteP » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:08 pm UTC

I rarely relate in the sense of "oh that character is so similiar to me" (And I might find a character who really were like me annoying since then he would have some social anxiety and I often find characters that let irrational fears influence the a bit exhausting, though I don't mind characters with other traits from me.) I do want to relate in the way that I can understand there actions and motivations somewhat, but them being human (or humanlike) and having a decent characterisation is usually enough for that. Though there are things that make it harder for me to relate. Deeply religious characters for instance, I just can't quite understand them. Though if that isn't their only character trait they usually have other character traits that I can relate to.

And I have completely forgotten what my point was if I had one.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7561
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Zohar » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:54 pm UTC

Back to the Barn was a fantastic episode:
Spoiler:
The only thing it didn't have was a song. Other than that it was funny, exciting, moving, revealing, advanced plot, developed characters...

I'm not surprised at the revelation pearls are mass-produced for service, I believe Jasper referred to Pearl as "a common pearl" or something similarly-worded. But it's interesting to see the entire gem culture is built in this strict hierarchy (for a peridot to have a pearl is unthinkable?). And it lets me see more motivation in Pearl's quest on Earth. In the extended opening, when she sings "I will fight in the name or Rose Quartz and everything that she believed it", she doesn't mean she's mimicking Rose, which is what I initially thought. I see it now as banding under her flag, agreeing with the ideals she put forward, and keeping up the fight. She's carrying the mantle of Rose not because of (or not only because of) the memory of their romantic relationship, or a "knightly" duty, but because she actually believes those are just cause that are worthy of fighting towards. I hope we soon get a stronger motivation for Amethyst, too - right now we have great reasons for Garnet and Pearl to fight, and Amethyst is kinda "meh? I'm here I guess?".

I also loved the theme of self improvement and development, and how Pearl's past journey is one that Peridot must embark now, to expand beyond her prescribed role and standing, both in her expertise and socially and emotionally. I loved how supportive everyone else was of Pearl after she lost the fight. The robot designs were perfectly adapted to each character, and the ridiculousness of the robolympics and having two people on the team who kinda do the same thing was great as well.

Everything about this was just a delight.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm UTC
Location: Here, I suppose. I could be elsewhere...

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:04 pm UTC

I like it because Pearl backstory is good backstory. Also it's nice to have an episode focussing on what makes Pearl great because we've had several that make them look - less than sympathetic?
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.


she/her/hers
=]

User avatar
Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Middletown, RI

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Isaac Hill » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:53 am UTC

The Classroom Gems 2: How Gems Are Made

The book "Steven Universe: A Guide to the Crystal Gems" is out. Like the comic, it's geared towards younger readers. There's no plot, just info on major Gem characters. It's from Steven's perspective, so there's not much we don't already know from the show. The info's also slightly outdated, as the section on Fusions is missing one. It does specify the backstory as starting 5,500 years ago, while the show's been vaguer. The closest thing to new info is:
Spoiler:
Garnet's intro page mentions that fusions between different types of Gems are rare. The section on Fusions says a new Fusion personality, color, and powers only emerge if their components are "non-identical". It sounds like on Homeworld, fusion would mostly be between, say, two Pearls to make a larger Pearl.
Each of the Crystal Gems' sections has a few pages of stills from the show with the dialogue as speech bubbles, showcasing their personality. There were a few I'd forgotten, but this mostly just means that the 90 page book has even less new content than you'd expect. On the plus side, Steven's commentary can be pretty amusing, and it does clarify a few bits of backstory the show alludes to.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4002
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Steven Universe

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:17 am UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:The Classroom Gems 2: How Gems Are Made

The book "Steven Universe: A Guide to the Crystal Gems" is out. Like the comic, it's geared towards younger readers. There's no plot, just info on major Gem characters. It's from Steven's perspective, so there's not much we don't already know from the show. The info's also slightly outdated, as the section on Fusions is missing one. It does specify the backstory as starting 5,500 years ago, while the show's been vaguer. The closest thing to new info is:
Spoiler:
Garnet's intro page mentions that fusions between different types of Gems are rare. The section on Fusions says a new Fusion personality, color, and powers only emerge if their components are "non-identical". It sounds like on Homeworld, fusion would mostly be between, say, two Pearls to make a larger Pearl.
Each of the Crystal Gems' sections has a few pages of stills from the show with the dialogue as speech bubbles, showcasing their personality. There were a few I'd forgotten, but this mostly just means that the 90 page book has even less new content than you'd expect. On the plus side, Steven's commentary can be pretty amusing, and it does clarify a few bits of backstory the show alludes to.
With regards to homeworld and fusions
Spoiler:
The idea of multiple gems of the same type fusing together to make an identical, but more powerful/bigger version is very cool and somewhat supported by Pearl's flashbacks to the war where what appears to be a giant Jasper hits her with, well, several weapons. Also supported by the fact Peridot calls Garnet "warmachine". I also heard it pointed out as significant that all the fusions we've seen have been between Gems with their gems in different places. No word on what happens when gem location on the body matches up.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
natraj
Posts: 1640
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm UTC
Location: away from Omelas
Contact:

Re: Steven Universe

Postby natraj » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:07 am UTC

back to the barn:

Spoiler:
the further exposition about pearls on homeworld was awesome and heartwrenching but it also makes me kinda wonder more about pearl's relationship with rose? like if pearls are manufactured slaves (i know they say servant but peridot also clearly says people own pearls so lets call it like it is) it makes me wonder if pearl's dynamic with rose started out in a whooole even creepier vein.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7561
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Zohar » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:31 am UTC

natraj wrote:back to the barn:

Spoiler:
the further exposition about pearls on homeworld was awesome and heartwrenching but it also makes me kinda wonder more about pearl's relationship with rose? like if pearls are manufactured slaves (i know they say servant but peridot also clearly says people own pearls so lets call it like it is) it makes me wonder if pearl's dynamic with rose started out in a whooole even creepier vein.

Spoiler:
I don't know how Pearl and Rose's relationship started, I bet we'll find out. But it's portrayed (and has been confirmed) to have been a romantic one, and while Rose was pretty condescending towards humans, I would be surprised if she treated "lesser" gems that way.


I really want to dress up as Steven for Halloween, and hoped my husband would dress as Lion (we have a tiger costume so I was thinking we could color it pink and add a mane), but he's not interested and now I'm worried I'll just end up looking like a random guy with curly hair, a star shirt, and jeans.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
natraj
Posts: 1640
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm UTC
Location: away from Omelas
Contact:

Re: Steven Universe

Postby natraj » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:19 am UTC

Zohar wrote:
natraj wrote:back to the barn:

Spoiler:
the further exposition about pearls on homeworld was awesome and heartwrenching but it also makes me kinda wonder more about pearl's relationship with rose? like if pearls are manufactured slaves (i know they say servant but peridot also clearly says people own pearls so lets call it like it is) it makes me wonder if pearl's dynamic with rose started out in a whooole even creepier vein.

Spoiler:
I don't know how Pearl and Rose's relationship started, I bet we'll find out. But it's portrayed (and has been confirmed) to have been a romantic one, and while Rose was pretty condescending towards humans, I would be surprised if she treated "lesser" gems that way.


Spoiler:
i have a few thoughts on this and not sure how to organize them so they'll probably just be disorganized but,
-i wouldn't be entirely surprised to some degree -- i mean, rose was on earth for a reeeally long time by the time she met greg and was still pretty condescending towards humans way way way after rebelling against her entire people and fighting a war for their planet so it clearly took her Kind Of A Long Time to shake gem... socialization?
-also she came to earth as an invader in the first place and was quite clearly in a position of high authority and respect among the gems; even the homeworld gems we see in current time coming to earth (like jasper) still have a lot of respect for her even if they don't like her anymore so we have to imagine that at some point she was Kind Of A Big Deal in gem society
-- which, i can in no way believe she got to by completely eschewing all of their hierarchy and socialization. which isn't to say that she treated lesser gems like complete dirt the way peridot does BUT i still would be completely and utterly flabbergasted if she was just 100% a saintly benevolent egalitarian from the off rather than it being something that she came around to eventually (much like she evidently eventually came around to deciding oh yeah maybe we shouldn't commit genocide on earth)
-and regardless of all that and even if she did treat lesser gems as equals, it would in no way change the fact that they were not remotely equals and were in their society still slaves. i completely cannot even begin to care how a slave-owning class treats a slave, there is zero possible way that there is a chance for a consensual romantic relationship with such a staggering imbalance of positions there.
--not that that's surprising i mean it's been blatantly obvious since forever that pearl and rose's relationship was messed up as anything but this is just pretty horrible
---or at least potentially pretty horrible; i think it depends a lot on when their relationship became romantic because we don't really know that yet and they were on earth a super long time and there's plenty of scope for that dynamic (ruling class/owned class) to change once they were away from homeworld, even though i think it'd be super difficult to shake the taint of something that heavy it'd at least be a possibility. but flashbacks make it seem like it was preeeetty much romance already when they were in the middle of the rebellion when, presumably, they were also not really very far removed from homeworld influence so ehhh.
-just kind of think it's creepy all around. creepier than their relationship already has been shown to be anyway which is hard cuz it's already been by far the creepiest of any of the relationships to me (and with malachite on the show that's a high bar for creepy!)
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

User avatar
Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Middletown, RI

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Isaac Hill » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:42 am UTC

TD - If a Fusion's components had gems in the same location, I'd assume that body part would just stretch to accomodate both gems. For example, if Pearl and Peridot fused, their combined form would have a larger than proportional forehead with both gems there, either one above the other, or side by side.

Zohar - I've seen some pretty elaborate contact lenses. If you could find some that had star shapes, those'd help. Or, just add parts of the tiger costume to your Steven outfit and go as Tiger Millionaire.

Pearl & Rose, from the Guide
Spoiler:
The book says, "[Pearl] and [Rose] were the original Crystal Gems." It sounds like Pearl was the first to join Rose, which wouldn't be possible if Pearl were owned by someone else. Maybe Rose felt coercing someone into treason was too much to ask, offered Pearl her freedom, and Pearl chose to stay and fight rather than return to Homeworld and become another Gem's property. Their relationship grew out of fighting together as equals.

If Pearl was Rose's property, then partner, that would explain why Pearl was so upset about Rose keeping secerets from her, like Lion. If Pearl wasn't keeping any secrets from Rose, that means they weren't quite equals after all.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5660
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Angua » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:30 am UTC

Spoiler:
My first thought when it was revealed that pearls are slaves (how I read it too) was that Pearl was Rose's (Peridot even says that Pearl is a fancy one and asks who she belonged too) - and Rose has been portrayed as being pretty high up I think. However, I'm not sure if we ever have any evidence that Rose ever reciprocated Pearl's feelings - she obviously didn't tell Pearl everything even if she did tell her more than the rest (and it being because Pearl was hers at some point would probably explain that bit). Rose may have treated her slaves a bit more kindly than most of homeworld which is why Pearl started reading it as something more. Rose has obviously always been the leader, so when there were only 4 of them (and Amethyst being born on Earth means she wasn't really exposed to the social pressures of the rest of them) the mistress/slave relationships probably lessened a bit, but would still linger.
Last edited by Angua on Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: closed bracked
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7561
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Zohar » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:25 pm UTC

I can't wear contacts, so that's not going to be helpful. We'll see.

Pearl&Rose (Prose? Rosl? Prose sounds good):
Spoiler:
I can understand a lot of what you're saying, natraj. One thing we don't know about yet is how much life there is in the universe other than Earth and Gemworld, and what shape that life takes. Since Gem culture is so militaristic I wouldn't be surprised if there are multiple enemies for the gems to fight, but I can also imagine the gems who come to Earth not recognizing the life here as... living. What I'm saying is, maybe Rose was higher up but didn't necessarily commit many acts we'd find immoral until she got to Earth and had to deal with that.

I would actually be surprised though, considering the show's nature for complexity and, as natraj mentioned, Rose's superiority towards humans.

One thing I'm curious about - we know from Lapis Lazuli that Homeworld has changed (or maybe only Lapis's perception of it?), and Jasper and Peridot come from today's Homeworld, not necessarily the one Rose came from. I think we'll have to see how things have changed in the meantime. Regardless, the plan for the cluster must have been placed a long time ago, and it would be surprising if Rose didn't know about it, and thus surprising that she didn't tell the Gems to prepare for it. So either Rose didn't know, or she had a reason not to tell them. Maybe she never felt that would come up after having won the rebellion.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:35 pm UTC
Location: Middletown, RI

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Isaac Hill » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:14 pm UTC

Far Out
Spoiler:
At first, I thought it was odd that Amythyst never got called out on her behavior. She was happy to laugh at Peridot's comments about Pearl and Garnet, and encouraged her to mock a visibly uncomfortable Steven to his face, but couldn't handle Peridot saying anything about her. On rewatch, Amythyst's misbehavior is obvious enough that the show doesn't need to call her out, and her feelings are hurt enough that it'd be mean for the other characters to call her out.

Peridot asking Garnet to unfuse because she was "uncomfortable" may have been meant as an example of anti-fusion bigotry, but I can see Peridot's point. From her comments about Garnet being a "filthy war machine" who's "not even fighting", Peridot's clearly under the impression that fusion is a combat technique. Having Garnet stay fused while they're no longer fighting is like making a truce with someone who has a weapon pointed at you, who then declines to put the weapon down. It'd make you wonder how strong the truce was.

Given that we've had Peridot & Steven, Peridot & Pearl, and Peridot & Amythyst episodes, the obvious thing is for a Peridot & Garnet episode. Maybe Peridot and Garnet have to fuse, and Peridot experiences that "perfect relationship" Pearl mentioned. But, I'm not sure. Garnet's been a bit more of a closed book than the other CGs. We've seen a lot of Pearl & Rose's relationship, and got a little of Rose & Amythyst while cleaning Greg's storage unit, but I don't think we've seen anything about Garnet & Rose.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

User avatar
dimitriye98
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:04 pm UTC
Location: nullptr

Re: Steven Universe

Postby dimitriye98 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:55 pm UTC

Spoilers are from a caught up point of view, so handle with care.

On Rose and Pearl:
Spoiler:
Given what we know about pearls and Pearl in particular, I think the most reasonable assumption is that she belonged to Rose Quartz. Her loyalty to Rose, even when the latter rebelled, is then easily explainable as simply part of her conditioning / programming (more knowledge on gem creation is necessary for disambiguation). Her affection for Rose (which always seemed very cultish to me, moreso than romantic) is then a clear manifestation of Stockholm Syndrome. (Assuming that gem psychology is similar enough to that of humans for that possibility, which it seems to be)

On Rose's end, it's very possible that she didn't realize how Pearl felt, viewing it as simply the loyalty expected from a pearl, if slightly more extreme. That doesn't get into Rose's actual views on whether or not that sort of conditioning / programming is acceptable, however, given that she knew it's done, that sort of assumption is extremely likely.


On gem society's hierarchy and how it applies to the crystal gems:
Spoiler:
As for the more hierarchic aspect of gem society, I don't think it ever went away among the crystal gems until Rose became Steven. I think it's something much more along the lines of a military squad having grown together over the course of many battles, but its still always clear who the superior among them is. In fact, that aspect still seems present even now, with Garnet being the clear leader.


Now for some overanalysis of gem neurology / biology, and how it relates to Steven:
Spoiler:
Gems are clearly fully sapient, and furthermore their psychology appears to be almost identical to that of humans. Thus, gems must contain some sort of neural matrix roughly equivalent to a human brain. Also, the gem body itself is remarkably similar to humans, given isolated evolution, down to borderline identical physiological reactions to emotion (blushing, crying, laughing, etc.). (One could easily discount this as simply a stylistic choice to allow for relating with the characters, but Watsonian analysis is far more entertaining than its Doylist counterpart.)

Nevertheless, the fact that gems refer to humans as "organic" implies that they aren't organic (aka carbon-based) themselves. This of course means that they fundamentally cannot have earth-life equivalent DNA. Which begs the question: where did the other half of Steven's DNA come from? After all, having seen his adult form in So Many Birthdays, we know he isn't a clone of his father as one may assume given the prior realization.

A further note, his actual gem is presumably unmodified, meaning it cannot have the necessary chemical receptors / nerve linkages to actually be controlled by the brain through conventional means. Clearly, there's some form of magical linkage between his brain's consciousness and the gem itself. Given the early lack of control, one would assume that his brain is the primary host of his consciousness, and not the gem. However, the gem's apparent subordinateness as Steven learned to control it leads me to believe that Rose Quartz is not actually in the gem as some have proposed.

Now, moving into some primarily hypothetical territory, if Steven can gain control of the gem's neural matrix, he could very likely end up with double neural capacity, if not more. Furthermore, he'd lost a major vulnerability in the fragility of his human body, since the destruction thereof would no longer result in his death, though his gem would ofc still be an Achilles' heel. (Of course, the show is unlikely to tread such waters, given that regardless of depth, it is a kids show after all.)


On Pearl's conditioning of Connie in Sworn to the Sword:
Spoiler:
It's very easy to be outraged at this, but at the same time, Connie was quite predisposed to the position already. Pearl likely saw part of herself in Connie, and thought that nurturing that, as she saw it, admirable attribute was the right thing to do. In fact one could argue that teaching such in a time of war (which is clearly imminent) is correct. The reason we have the luxury to consider individualism a virtue and conformity a flaw is that we have had the good fortune to live in the (extraordinarily) long peace. Were the world to return to its more ordinary, war-like state, the Feudal, Confucian, or as pearl would call them, Knightly ideals of loyalty, devotion, and piety towards ones "betters" would be extremely valuable.
Join nomic. It's awesome and fun.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7561
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Zohar » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:12 pm UTC

Those are all interested ideas. I don't really agree with a lot of the biological aspects you were describing, but regarding the others:
Spoiler:
Re: Rose and Pearl - I wouldn't be surprised if Pearl was Rose's at first. But I don't think that's how their relationship remained. It's very obviously romantic, and yes, probably unbalanced, but I don't find that bad. For one thing, it seems Rose looks to be poly while Pearl is very mono and grudgingly accepting of Rose's preferences.

Re: Squads and hierarchy - Just because there's a hierarchy doesn't mean it has to be as militaristic as Gemworld. I mean, Gemworld seems like a world of bullies and never ending abuse, that's not what's happening with the Crystal Gems. Amethyst is, essentially, a child, and parents have some control over the children they're responsible for, which is why I'm not surprised Pearl and Garnet are more "higher up". But I don't think Garnet is the necessarily the leader of the gems, I feel Pearl and her share that. Garnet's way of talking and walking around makes her a bit overwhelming sometimes, but not to the extent of taking control of the team, I think.

As for Sworn to the Sword, I think where Pearl went wrong was by seeing herself as lesser than Rose in their relationship, which is why she decided he had to die for her over and over. She didn't realize she can fight on equal grounds along with Rose. Steven and Connie can fight together, and be stronger and safer because of that.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
dimitriye98
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:04 pm UTC
Location: nullptr

Re: Steven Universe

Postby dimitriye98 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:45 pm UTC

Replying:
Spoiler:
Zohar wrote:It's very obviously romantic, and yes, probably unbalanced, but I don't find that bad.

That's where I disagree. I think it's only obvious that Pearl sees it in a romantic light. I don't think Rose Quartz had a similar impression. I think it's a distinct possibility that Rose only saw Pearl as a friend and a confident, and Pearl never worked up the courage to tell Rose about her feelings.

Zohar wrote:Just because there's a hierarchy doesn't mean it has to be as militaristic as Gemworld. I mean, Gemworld seems like a world of bullies and never ending abuse, that's not what's happening with the Crystal Gems.

Militaristic and bullying aren't the same thing. The Crystal Gems were, at least initially, a rebel army. They obviously had a chain of command during the war. The question is how long it persisted.

Zohar wrote:But I don't think Garnet is the necessarily the leader of the gems, I feel Pearl and her share that.

Well, I mean, Pearl has on multiple occasions yielded to Garnet's commands, and she's asked permission of her before, so to me it definitely feels like Pearl is subordinate to Garnet, but YMMV.

Zohar wrote:She didn't realize she can fight on equal grounds along with Rose. Steven and Connie can fight together, and be stronger and safer because of that.

I agree. I think the primary difference there was that Steven convinced Connie that they can fight together. Meanwhile, Rose was the leader of an army. Regardless of Rose's wishes (though at that point I think she most definitely still believed in the hierarchy of gems), their relationship was pretty much guaranteed to be that between a commander and a subordinate, simply by necessity of the chain of command.
Join nomic. It's awesome and fun.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7561
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Steven Universe

Postby Zohar » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:03 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Well, in addition to what looks like a romantic relationship between the two of them in the show, we also have word of god1 confirming that it was, in fact, a romantic relationship. You can definitely say that word of god doesn't replace showing that more clearly in the medium (see also: Dumbledore is gay is ridiculous), but I would argue that at least in this case, a lot of people saw the relationship as romantic as well, not just the creators.

Regarding Garnet, I still think she and Pearl share some of the responsibilities. Interactions with humans, responsibility of the town, training Steven, long-term strategy, all those seem to fall more under Pearl's jurisdiction. Battle tactics, mission assignments, "keeping the harmony" - those are things Garnet is more responsible for. At least, that's the impression I got.

And yeah, I agree Rose and Pearl started as commander and soldier (also because, as you say, Pearl was conditioned and expected to serve by Homeworld).

1I can't actually look at this link at work since Twitter is blocked, but I'm pretty sure it's the one I mean it is.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
dimitriye98
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:04 pm UTC
Location: nullptr

Re: Steven Universe

Postby dimitriye98 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:18 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The link specifically refers to Pearl's feelings, and in one of the replies, McBurnett dodges the question on whether the relationship was one-sided.

As to Garnet and Pearl, it's open to interpretation, and I think we simply have to agree to disagree.
Join nomic. It's awesome and fun.


Return to “Movies and TV Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests