Mad Max: Fury Road

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

maybeagnostic

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road

Postby maybeagnostic » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:19 am UTC

IceFlake wrote:I thought the "salts" was what used to be the ocean floor after the oceans either receded or evaporated entirely.

That's how I interpreted it as well.

Diadem wrote:If the oceans evaporate that would leave a layer of salt of about 60 meters. Enough to smooth out most terrain features, but not nearly enough to fill the ocean basin. So if the salt flat is the ocean floor, then there should have been a several kilometre drop just before it. Also, even if the entire earth is desert, 160 days is still more than enough to circumnavigate the earth.

1. This might be getting into too much detail.
2. They definitely wouldn't be able to circumnavigate the Earth in 160 days or any amount of time because there are no roads or gas stations on the bottom of the ocean left over from Before. Even if they brought their own gas and had reliable off road vehicles (they probably had the last at least), doing 250km straight line treks every single day for half a year seems almost impossible.
3. Even if they managed to circumnavigate once, they wouldn't know it. Unless they hit the exact same spot they started from (which seems astronomically unlikely), they would just keep seeing new places so they are still going "forward" from their perspective.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:25 pm UTC

If the oceans evaporate, about half of the amostpheric oxygen will disappear. We won't have to worry about roads rage because we won't be breathing. Also, combustion could be problematic.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:54 am UTC

I don't suppose anyone else here has seen the musical "Urinetown" ? At the end of the film, I couldn't help but think that the settlement was dooming itself.

I also couldn't help but laugh at the truck full of drummers. That's the job I would want.

I'm not sure I would have picked up on any weird feminist context on my own. I mean, geez, Tina Turner was the supreme ruler of Bartertown in the preceding film.

And finally, until I saw this thread I thought everyone was talking about "Poor Boys" and not "War Boys".

Newt

Postby Newt » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:15 pm UTC

Flamethrower guitarist clearly had the best job in the army; he even had a safety harness.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:39 am UTC

Eh, too much pressure to perform in that position. (It looked like he was already blind, and was probably deaf too, though in front of that speaker array – assuming it was functional – deafness wouldn't really be a problem.)

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:33 am UTC

98% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm never going to trust that site ever again. Okay, maybe I missed out on something. I didn't see the first three films, but a lot of reviews were saying that aside from "Mad Max has horrible, haunting past", there really wasn't any deeper message there to get. (And apparently some awesome car that died in a not awesome-enough way). But I found this thoroughly mediocre. Aside from female-counterpart to Max Max leading the show... there didn't seem to be anything that made this film interesting to me.

Spoiler:
The one scene that I get teased for: Max gets some crappy melee weapon and goes up against an entire car full of gunners (including a recently blinded man shooting madly into the darkness). And the best action-scene takes place... off screen. I guess they wanted to keep it a giant car chase for 2 hours with absolutely no variation... but jeez something needed to break up the film a bit. There really is "too much of a good thing". The movie just keeps droning on and on and on...

The ending makes no sense: why would Joe's former base let the traitors back up into the base? Why don't they just bring up the gate and let Furiosa and the others starve at the bottom? Was Furiosa such a respected figure to the clan? If so, then how did Joe manage to rally such a large force against her? How is killing literally every other named character in the show and losing the long-lost family you just re-discovered "Redemption"? If Joe's entire War Band was really defeated... then who is left to defend the Citadel? By my count, it was basically a horribly injured Furiosa that was left, and Mad Max disappeared elsewhere. Won't word spread to other clans that the Citadel is now defenseless? How is anything actually solved?

I'm confused about the speed of Furiosa's War Rig. Joe's War Boys caught up rather quickly at almost every turn, but then get stuck behind arbitrarily.

I dunno, I guess I was overhyped for this movie. I literally haven't seen a single bad review for the movie and it completely disappointed me. And for all the feminism that this show was supposed to represent (I guess Furiosa was a good lead...) the entire story is still a tired damsel in distress storyline. I mean, the wives don't even gear up and take part in the action at the end. It looks like at least the black-hair'd one knew how to load weapons and point a gun too.

I'll have to chalk up Spy as the best summer action film this year... despite the internet consensus pointing towards Mad Max.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:03 am UTC

At the beginning of the film, I thought "universal donor" meant he was an (not really voluntary) organ donor. (hey, it's a post-apocalyptic wasteland! Figures there's but a few healthy organ donors left and Joe and his could use them one day.) But they kept calling him blood bad and at the end he was donating blood to 'furiosa' without hesitation, and only then did I realise that he was just a blood donor. Was blood a theme in earlier Mad Max films?

Jorpho wrote:I don't suppose anyone else here has seen the musical "Urinetown" ? At the end of the film, I couldn't help but think that the settlement was dooming itself.

I'm not familiar with Urinetown, but I did have deep concerns about the future of the citadel. For one, it's hard to convert an aristocracy (or any class system) to a democracy (which of course must happen when the good guys overthrow a government in a hollywood film). Moreover, there's the diplomacy with nearby clans: you need to keep up a fearsome image, or otherwise you'll get attacked. Or worse: all the underclass seek refuge in this settlement (and then you get attacked because the other clans' working class is gone). Moreover: no one has evidence that the water supply is actually large, let alone sustainable. And without proper infrastructure, you're wasting precious water.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:56 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
Spoiler:
The ending makes no sense: why would Joe's former base let the traitors back up into the base? Why don't they just bring up the gate and let Furiosa and the others starve at the bottom? Was Furiosa such a respected figure to the clan? If so, then how did Joe manage to rally such a large force against her? How is killing literally every other named character in the show and losing the long-lost family you just re-discovered "Redemption"? If Joe's entire War Band was really defeated... then who is left to defend the Citadel? By my count, it was basically a horribly injured Furiosa that was left, and Mad Max disappeared elsewhere. Won't word spread to other clans that the Citadel is now defenseless? How is anything actually solved?
Eh, I was fine with it.

Spoiler:
Joe's policies didn't exactly make him popular – or at least, anyone who believed he had some sort of innate power would be willing to capitulate to someone who was demonstrably able to vanquish him. Joe was able to rally such a large force against Furiosa simply because anyone who defied him was probably going to die.

I didn't really understand that there were any other large clans around that the Citadel was obliged to interact with. It is a wasteland, after all.

Apparently there was an official comic book that details some of the backstory, though some found it very disappointing for lacking some of the movie's themes.

Flumble wrote:Was blood a theme in earlier Mad Max films?
Nope, not at all.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:25 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I didn't really understand that there were any other large clans around that the Citadel was obliged to interact with. It is a wasteland, after all.
But two additional clans show up to help him out. And there are two different kinds of raiders we see. Not to mention that whateverthefuck was going on people who lived in the swamp. It's a wasteland, but it's not an empty wasteland.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:51 am UTC

Hmm. I guess it's been too long since I watched the movie.

ETA: Apparently that quote at the end – "Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves" – is something Miller came up with himself!? Up until now I thought it was something from T. S. Eliot. I find it rather profound.

Totenkindly
Location: Candy house in a candy land with a candy mortgage, but... CANDY!

Postby Totenkindly » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:25 pm UTC

I thought it was an interesting action picture -- it was mainly a chase/race movie throughout, that ended up exploring deeper themes along the way even if it didn't waste a lot of time in overt exposition/dialog. The "messaging" was visual and experiential.

As such, I didn't get hung up on intricate details. It was enough to be thrown into the movie, not lose my breath, and survive along with the protagonists.

Newt wrote:Flamethrower guitarist clearly had the best job in the army; he even had a safety harness.

I laughed and laughed every time that guy was on screen. It was SO over the top (in the good way). This movie was so much about spectacle, at least on the surface, and didn't fail to deliver in that regard.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:55 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:
Spoiler:
Eh, I was fine with it.

Spoiler:
Joe's policies didn't exactly make him popular – or at least, anyone who believed he had some sort of innate power would be willing to capitulate to someone who was demonstrably able to vanquish him. Joe was able to rally such a large force against Furiosa simply because anyone who defied him was probably going to die.

Spoiler:
Joe was seen as pretty much a literal deity. Max and Furiosa, a respected member of the group shows up with his dead body in such a way as to claim responsibility. They are literally godslayers. So, yeah, they're gonna get let up. She's basically in charge now via the might-makes-right rule
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:27 pm UTC

I normally hate productions that move more on aesthetic than substance (for example, Penny Dreadful, which I ironically find the second word an apt one to describe that mess of a show).

But this movie-- even if the plot itself and the characters were not that fleshed out-- didn't even try to piss me off by introducing some stilted, pretentious dialogue. It didn't take itself so seriously as to presume it was anything more than a fun action film.

This movie knows that it lives and dies by its aesthetics, atmosphere, and action sequences. It's that simple. And it excelled in every way for it, where I could forgive the utter superficiality of the characters.

Plus it has Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy, so it could do no wrong in my eyes.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”