Jurassic World

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Tyndmyr

Re: Jurassic World

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:06 pm UTC

"We don't actually know what it is, but a single medium sized wall should be good".

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:08 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Absolutely.

OK I take it back.

I will say though that half of Godzilla was spent just waiting for the fight, like it was the main entry and it just took a while to cook, while this one was more like dessert. I guess? They were both fun though for sure.
NieXS wrote:Oh god that smiley ruined it.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

Christo

Postby Christo » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:10 am UTC

I've got to say, I was not into it. I mean for the first three-quarters it was OK. It was a rehash of what's come before with some tongue-in-cheek moments of, "Look how we've amped it up 20 years later." And the ideas were all recycled. And then...
Spoiler:
the weaponization idea, which was pulled from Aliens, was OK

And I was doing fine with it.

But then...

Spoiler:
What the hell was the ending? Why in the world did the raptors, T-Rex, and water dino join forces with the humans? What was that? It made no kinds of sense!

The whole point of sci-fi is to explore ideas, and this movie was ultimately without any--except maybe Kumbaya with dinosaurs.
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

roband

Postby roband » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:57 am UTC

Christo wrote:But then...

Spoiler:
What the hell was the ending? Why in the world did the raptors, T-Rex, and water dino join forces with the humans? What was that? It made no kinds of sense!

The whole point of sci-fi is to explore ideas, and this movie was ultimately without any--except maybe Kumbaya with dinosaurs.

Spoiler:
Well, the raptors have been trained to work with Chris Pratt, right? So that half makes sense.
The T-Rex is just dealing with the biggest aggressor who is there. If you're a person and there's a dog trying to bite you, and a flea, you're gonna deal with the dog first, right?
And the water dino hasn't had anything to eat since the great white in the opening scene, so it's taking whatever it can get - I'd imagine.

It's all flawless logic when you think about it.

Christo

Postby Christo » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:35 pm UTC

roband wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, the raptors have been trained to work with Chris Pratt, right? So that half makes sense.
The T-Rex is just dealing with the biggest aggressor who is there. If you're a person and there's a dog trying to bite you, and a flea, you're gonna deal with the dog first, right?
And the water dino hasn't had anything to eat since the great white in the opening scene, so it's taking whatever it can get - I'd imagine.

Inconceivable!

Spoiler:
Why would the raptors switch sides back and forth so quickly? And I'm not even sure how the water dino saw what was happening. But here's my bigger gripe: There was no idea behind it. There could have been. They could have developed Pratt's bit about the animal growing up in isolation and how it doesn't know how it fits into things, so everything else is opposed to it. Perhaps its origins lead all the other animals to experience a sort of revulsion. But the raptor double cross has to go.
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

roband

Postby roband » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:39 pm UTC

Spoiler:
You've never seen an animal torn between instinct and what it's been taught are "the rules"?

It happens.

Christo

Postby Christo » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:44 pm UTC

I just don't think it makes for good story telling or for good development of theme.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:59 pm UTC

Christo wrote:
roband wrote:
Spoiler:

Inconceivable!

Spoiler:
Why would the raptors switch sides back and forth so quickly? And I'm not even sure how the water dino saw what was happening. But here's my bigger gripe: There was no idea behind it. There could have been. They could have developed Pratt's bit about the animal growing up in isolation and how it doesn't know how it fits into things, so everything else is opposed to it. Perhaps its origins lead all the other animals to experience a sort of revulsion. But the raptor double cross has to go.

It's more odd that the creature raised in isolation is so good at communicating with it's partially related brothers.

Earlier in the movie, I honestly thought they'd make it part human, so you get fun ethical dilemmas and such. But...I shoulda known better. It's jurassic park, I should just feel lucky they didn't solve problems via gymnast.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:02 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Earlier in the movie, I honestly thought they'd make it part human, so you get fun ethical dilemmas and such.

Man, I thought I was the only one.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:43 pm UTC

Actually, I still think there was human DNA in the I. rex. They just didn't mention it in the movie...
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:01 pm UTC

That was an abondoned idea from an earlier script.

Christo

Postby Christo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:38 am UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:Earlier in the movie, I honestly thought they'd make it part human, so you get fun ethical dilemmas and such.

Man, I thought I was the only one.

Same here. When they were talking about weaponizing it, I had flashbacks to the Aliens movies, and thought of an dino/human crossover ala, the Baby from Alien: Resurrection.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:12 pm UTC

They're probably saving that for the sequel. Jurassic Army? Jurassic War?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:14 pm UTC

World War J
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:20 pm UTC

You know the drill:

Jurassic 2: Electric Boogaloo

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:16 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:You know the drill:

Jurassic 2: Electric Boogaloo

More like
Jurassic 5: The Final Frontier
(I can't think of any other named 5th 4th sequels - which in themselves are rare - obviously not counting Star Wars. Although apparently Pirates of the Caribbean 5, Ice Age 5, and Rambo 5 are all coming out eventually...)

roband

Postby roband » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:41 pm UTC

4 Fast 4 Furious

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”