Arrested Development

Postby Rodan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:05 am UTC

How awesome would you say this show is?

I'd say it's pretty damn awesome.

Discuss.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:06 am UTC

I never really liked it that much. But I only saw a few episodes. It seemed too far fetched, like a circus performance.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

dagron

Postby dagron » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:23 am UTC

One of my absolute favorite shows.

To get the full effect, and catch all the jokes, you really have to watch it from the beginning.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:26 am UTC

Yeah, that kind of annoyed me how, at the end, it was pretty much made up ENTIRELY of throwbacks. Not that it wasn't hilarious....

...For BRitish eyes ONLY!
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:35 pm UTC

I was so awesome, God popped some Holy Kettle Corn, sat down with the angels, and laughed His big white beard off. Then he created a special 'viewing room' in Hell for people who didn't like it so that those vile individuals would have nothing to watch but reruns of Falcon's Crest and The Price Is Right for all eternity.

That is how awesome that show is.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:16 pm UTC

It... wasn't actually that good.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

xkcd_n00bz

Postby xkcd_n00bz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:06 pm UTC

One of the funniest shows on TV evar. If you don't think so, you are wrong.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:38 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:Then he created a special 'pit of scalding sewage inhabited by lava-leeches' in Hell for the Fox Network so that those vile individuals would get some small fractional taste of what they really deserve for being giant, quality-show-cancelling asshat douchetard apple-johns.

Fix'd for accuracy (and hobby)
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:50 pm UTC

I was trying to be subtle, but, yes, yours is more accurate.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Anomie

Postby Anomie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:18 am UTC

I love this show! It's a shame the american public didn't get it, therefore leading to its cancellation. And shame on the BBC for putting it on in the early hours of the morning on completely random nights.
They don't sleep on the beaches anymore.

Lord Bob

Postby Lord Bob » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:52 am UTC

Anomie wrote:I love this show! It's a shame the american public didn't get it, therefore leading to its cancellation. And shame on the BBC for putting it on in the early hours of the morning on completely random nights.

Exactly! This show is so awesome. Unfortunately, most people are just too damn stupid to understand it. One of my favorite shows of all time :D
Damn, I thought it was only surrounded by 14 mines...

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:54 am UTC

Undoubtedly! I only saw the first season, but I loved it. I catch random episodes from time to time.

Because, after all, there's money in the banana stand.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:40 am UTC

Looks like you're hunting dragons... in the future...

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:51 am UTC

TomBot

Postby TomBot » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:36 am UTC

Indeed, that show is quite awesome. Unfortunately, I just finished watching it. I'm kind of a chain smoker when it comes to television series - they should just make them longer to cater to me. (And put up a nice legal torrent, complete with ads, so I can stop fscking with MythTV)

So what are some similarly awesome comedies?

Citizen K

Postby Citizen K » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:14 pm UTC

Yes, that show is full of things like awesome and win. One of the few comedies that really stands up to repeat viewings, as it's nearly impossible to catch all the jokes the first time through. Especially the forward reference lines, which you don't even stand a chance at catching until you've already seen the later episodes.

But I think it ran its course, judging by how the whole thing went completely off the rails in the last few episodes. Which I'm sure was intentional since they knew it was ending, but still I don't think it really needed a much longer run. Sometimes it's better for a show to die in its prime, rather than a painfully long un-death. The Simpsons, anyone?
Beware the cows! Not all milk is enriched.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Re: Arrested Development

Postby Angelene » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:13 am UTC

I agree there's a beautiful melancholy in being able to mourn a show that dies in its prime, but it'd have been nice if they'd have been allowed finish the series.

Arrested Development, to get the full effect, must be watched one series at a time, episodes back to back. I have the three boxsets, and we spent three days over Christmas watching them, it was a joyous time.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:01 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:I agree there's a beautiful melancholy in being able to mourn a show that dies in its prime, but it'd have been nice if they'd have been allowed finish the series.

oh god. The special features of Firefly, where they talk about how Tracey's funeral was like the funeral for the show, and they played the scene, made me cry. I'm starting to cry just thinking about it...
:cry:

une see
Is my girl

Re:

Postby une see » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:It... wasn't actually that good.

Peshmerga wrote:I never really liked it that much. But I only saw a few episodes. It seemed too far fetched, like a circus performance.

YOU BURN IN HELL, BLASPHEMERS. YOU BURN IN HELL FOREVER.

Arrested Development is the greatest show ever created. If you think otherwise, you are wrong...and will not live long. Yes, that was a threat. That was a fucking threat. And it rhymed, too. Bitches.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

Every time I watch this show, I find something new to laugh about. I'm currently rewatching season three, and it is so spectacular I don't know why I went so long without watching it again. All of the performances are just spot on. I think Tony Hale gets overlooked for his performace as Buster a lot, people tend to favor Gob and Tobias more, but I think Buster is one of the funniest characters on the show.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Re:

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

Citizen K wrote:But I think it ran its course, judging by how the whole thing went completely off the rails in the last few episodes. Which I'm sure was intentional since they knew it was ending, but still I don't think it really needed a much longer run. Sometimes it's better for a show to die in its prime, rather than a painfully long un-death. The Simpsons, anyone?

I think part of the reason it felt so off the rails towards the end was that they knew it was ending, like you said, but I think this hurt the show considerably. If you look at the last season, it's not so much the crazy stuff that goes on, but that so much happens in such short time. They had tons of storylines planned out that had to be tied up because unlike, say, Firefly, they at least got enough warning to properly end the show. I agree the show maybe wouldn't have lasted much longer, but if they'd at least given them the remainder of season three, I think it would have gone out on a much better note, quality-wise. As it is the latter part of season three feels unbelievably rushed to me.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

The ending is rushed, but there's so much classic content thrown in there, I can't help but love it anyway. I love that they aren't afraid to throw in jokes that you won't even notice until the second or third viewing, it's one of the only shows of its kind that I can rewatch often.

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:57 am UTC

The best comedy series ever made in my opinion.

BTW, I'm seeing the movie the day it comes out. IN COSTUME! Maybe not in costume. But definitely the day it comes out.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:10 pm UTC

Yea i watched the show when i was like 6, and i started watching it again on G4 and i realized how hilarious it was
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:50 pm UTC

Lt Greatsocks wrote:The best comedy series ever made in my opinion.

BTW, I'm seeing the movie the day it comes out. IN COSTUME! Maybe not in costume. But definitely the day it comes out.

You should blue yourself.

I can't wait for this movie.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

I have been forcing myself, for almost a year now, to NOT re-watch Arrested Development anymore because if I ever made myself get sick of this show I would die a little bit inside. Soon, the time will be right for me to begin a... 4th? 6th? viewing and I will be full of so much gleeeeeee!

My favorite part ever was when everybody did the chicken dance. In my opinion that was the finest moment in television history.
Fish cannot carry guns.

ewige

Postby ewige » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:20 am UTC

pooteeweet wrote:My favorite part ever was when everybody did the chicken dance. In my opinion that was the finest moment in television history.

I love that part too. I think my all-time two favorite parts in the show have to be when in "Pier Pressure" the one armed man's arm hits the pier. That's the moment that I fell in love with the show, and I almost cried from laughing so hard. Another classic moment is when Maeby is reading in the living room and Tobias dressed as Mrs. Featherbottem jumps of the balcony and crashes into the coffee table.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:09 am UTC

pooteeweet wrote:if I ever made myself get sick of this show I would die a little bit inside.

It's a good thing that's impossible to do.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Steve Holt

Postby Steve Holt » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:57 am UTC

STEVE HOLT!

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Re:

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:07 am UTC

... I've never actually met someone who didn't like this show. I think you're lying.

ewige wrote:Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?

I loled irl. :P
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Abstruse

Postby Abstruse » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:25 am UTC

Something is desperately wrong with you.
Perhaps spending some time with this man would help?

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Asmodieus wrote:Yea i watched the show when i was like 6, and i started watching it again on G4 and i realized how hilarious it was

So... you're 11?
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

I love this show. To me, Arrested Development and the Office sort of go together as being examples of the same kind of humor - Arrested Development on family life, and the Office on workplace life. Although, anyone who experiences both of those would probably kill themselves.

I never watched it while it was on TV, but I've been catching up with it on Hulu recently. The ending was very strange, but they clearly knew it was ending and just went all out. I loved how the narrator was beginning to develop a personality towards the end.
I can kill you with my brain.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:58 am UTC

My favorite running joke was all the lessons, and I loved the episode Making a Stand. That is possibly my favorite although all of them are great.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

apoklips

Re:

Postby apoklips » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

Probably one of, if not the, funniest television show ever and I've truthfully never met a person (who was worthwhile) who didn't like it. A lot of people, though, seem to resist the show until they have had the chance to view more than one episode.

Citizen K wrote:Sometimes it's better for a show to die in its prime, rather than a painfully long un-death. The Simpsons, anyone?

True enough, but it really would have been nice if, at the very least, the show had a full third season.

Allium Cepa wrote: I think Tony Hale gets overlooked for his performace as Buster a lot, people tend to favor Gob and Tobias more, but I think Buster is one of the funniest characters on the show.

I agree wholeheartedly. Buster was one of my favourite characters.
"Wow, sarcasm! That's original..." - Dr. Horrible

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Re: Re:

Postby Mathmagic » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:34 pm UTC

apoklips wrote:Probably one of, if not the, funniest television show ever and I've truthfully never met a person (who was worthwhile) who didn't like it. A lot of people, though, seem to resist the show until they have had the chance to view more than one episode.

I didn't get into the show until I was able to start watching from the very first episode. The show revolves around inside jokes and character traits/roles, so it's difficult for someone to see the "actual" humour/jokes being made, rather than the surface humour of the often ridiculous/outrageous circumstances/situations.

Wow, that's a lot of forward slashes.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

yukari koizumi

Re:

Postby yukari koizumi » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:34 am UTC

semicolon wrote:Image

franklin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh me yarm this show is effin awesome!!!!!! It's soooo good!

my favourite quote is when Buster
Spoiler:
loses his hand
and freaks out tearing up the house saying " I'm a MONSTER!!!!!!"

Whomever doesn't like this show obviously has no sense of humor.

I would say favourite characters are obviously Gob, Buster and the Mom....

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:22 am UTC

I love seeing the actors from this show in other stuff. It just makes me giggle. But then I can't really stop thinking about them as their AD characters, so it sort of confuses the meaning of whatever show/movie I'm seeing them in. Like the actor who played Gob was in a Sex and the City episode and I was all like "Noooo! Don't date Gob, he's weeeeeird!" Also it's kind of funny that Michael Cera has become so big in the past couple of years.

I'm trying to think now of the movie I saw a while back which had Tobias (David Cross?) in it. It was a comedy about a guy seeing a shrink after having attempted suicide. I liked it but I can't remember the name.
Fish cannot carry guns.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:02 am UTC

pooteeweet wrote:I'm trying to think now of the movie I saw a while back which had Tobias (David Cross?) in it. It was a comedy about a guy seeing a shrink after having attempted suicide. I liked it but I can't remember the name.

Chain of Fools?

Anyway yeah, I know what you mean with the characters.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”