Do you enjoy car chase scenes in movies?

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

You, sir, name?

Do you enjoy car chase scenes in movies?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:17 pm UTC

Title.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Totenkindly
Location: Candy house in a candy land with a candy mortgage, but... CANDY!

Re: Do you enjoy car chase scenes in movies?

Postby Totenkindly » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:17 pm UTC

A car chase isn't necessarily a draw for me personally, but I can enjoy them -- it depends on how they are shot. Action movies themselves nowadays can get crazy with the editing and the eye can't really track what's going on, and than carry over to chases as well, there has to be some kind of coherence to it. And it needs to be paced and cut in a way that provides some tension versus a flat shot.

I never saw the Fast and Furious movies, so i feel l like I'm probably missing more of the obvious choices; and my mind's foggy on chase scenes (well, aside from Fury Road... maybe that's not the chase scene you had in mind). But I remember liking sequences from "Ronin," and I happened to finally see "Live and Die in LA" a few months back. "The Matrix Reloaded" highway chase can be a nail-biter on the first pass through... both for unexpected length of said chase and the camera shots where you think you're viewing from one location but you're actually somewhere else. MI5 had some fun car/cycle chase sequences as well.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:59 am UTC

Ultimately, I think I enjoyed a good chunk of Mad Max: Fury Road. Unfortunately, the movie couldn't keep my attention the whole time. So I do enjoy car chase scenes, but somewhere between "typical action movie" length, and Max Max.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:19 am UTC

yesssss. fast and furious, mad max, if there is fast cars and things blowing up i am happy.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:14 am UTC

Of course, when executed properly. That means lots of explosions and camera work like Totenkindly describes* and, most of all, some originality and no reuse of shots.

Mad Max is an excellent car chase scene. I also enjoyed the car chase scenes in Archer, but that's because it detracts from the car chasing with its dialogue –take away those witty comments and it becomes mostly boring front-view shots (camera on the nose of the car pointed at the characters).
I'm not eager to watch any F&F films, because the whole premise seems to be "we race illegally, therefore we race illegally", or something like that, and that in the context of regular street race cars doesn't turn me on.

natraj wrote:yesssss. fast and furious, mad max, if there is fast cars and things blowing up i am happy.

I never perceived the cars in Mad Max going fast. In quite some shots (mostly when surrounded by rocks) it looked like they were doing 40 km/h tops, in others it seemed like they adhered nicely to the speed limit. The action was fast though.

*I never put a lot of thought into how hard it is to take the right shots and combine the right combination of shots to get a fluent, fast-paced, immersive action scene. You can't just put a camera on a car and film a couple of cars driving in a convoy and combine it with some explosions at a junkyard filmed from a tripod.

Totenkindly
Location: Candy house in a candy land with a candy mortgage, but... CANDY!

Postby Totenkindly » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:08 pm UTC

One of the cool things about Fury Road was just that it was all real, actual stunts (even if the action happened to be sped up at some point in production). They thought they might have to use CGI for safety reasons, but I think pretty much everything (aside from the speed) was actually done -- the "flying wallenda" cycles, the pole swinging guys, Tom Hardy hanging upside down and/or mounted on the front of the car, etc.

Seeing all those cars and trucks running abreast was pretty nifty. Usually we're confined to the width of the roads, but the wilderness shots allowed for a more impressive "wall of vehicles."

I appreciate the latest Bond movies, I think some of the Brosnan movies had moved towards CGI, but in the Craig series they've tried to stick with real stunts. Looks like there's some chase scenes coming up in Spectre.

jaap

Postby jaap » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:29 pm UTC

Totenkindly wrote:One of the cool things about Fury Road was just that it was all real, actual stunts (even if the action happened to be sped up at some point in production). They thought they might have to use CGI for safety reasons, but I think pretty much everything (aside from the speed) was actually done -- the "flying wallenda" cycles, the pole swinging guys, Tom Hardy hanging upside down and/or mounted on the front of the car, etc.

Seeing all those cars and trucks running abreast was pretty nifty. Usually we're confined to the width of the roads, but the wilderness shots allowed for a more impressive "wall of vehicles."

I appreciate the latest Bond movies, I think some of the Brosnan movies had moved towards CGI, but in the Craig series they've tried to stick with real stunts. Looks like there's some chase scenes coming up in Spectre.

Apparently there was a large amount of compositing in Mad Max. Each of those cars were real, but most of the shots with many vehicles at the same time, especially during some stunt, they will have been filmed separately and put together in the same frame afterwards. It's not CGI, as it isn't generated in a computer from a 3d model or something, but no doubt a lot of computer effects were needed to put everything together so well.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:37 am UTC

jaap wrote:
Totenkindly wrote:One of the cool things about Fury Road was just that it was all real, actual stunts (even if the action happened to be sped up at some point in production). They thought they might have to use CGI for safety reasons, but I think pretty much everything (aside from the speed) was actually done -- the "flying wallenda" cycles, the pole swinging guys, Tom Hardy hanging upside down and/or mounted on the front of the car, etc.

Apparently there was a large amount of compositing in Mad Max. Each of those cars were real, but most of the shots with many vehicles at the same time, especially during some stunt, they will have been filmed separately and put together in the same frame afterwards. It's not CGI, as it isn't generated in a computer from a 3d model or something, but no doubt a lot of computer effects were needed to put everything together so well.

Check out the shorts of production of those scenes. Everything is going at once. Very intense.

I like a good chase, but one of the worst I sat through was in Quantum of Solace, where I couldn't tell the cars apart well enough to know which one I was cheering for.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:33 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:I like a good chase, but one of the worst I sat through was in Quantum of Solace, where I couldn't tell the cars apart well enough to know which one I was cheering for.

Its a good example of where I prefer the cheesy Pierce Brosnan "Goleneye Tank Chase Scene" over the more serious, gritty Quantum of Solace scene.

While we're talking about older, cheesier films. Might as well talk about Blues Brother's Mall Scene.

Just because an action scene takes itself less seriously doesn't necessarily make it bad I guess. :D :D Or maybe I'm just a sucker for unnecessary wanton destruction played for light hearted comedy.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:41 am UTC

The original Italian Job has the best cheesy car chase scene.
Exit the vampires' castle.

jaap

Postby jaap » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:50 pm UTC

The classic Bullitt car chase scene has become a bit cheesy for me when it was pointed out that
Spoiler:
there's this VW Beetle that appears in every other shot, and the cars lose more than 4 hubcaps
I can't help but notice that now and, while still fun, that makes it cheesy fun instead of exciting fun.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:53 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:The original Italian Job has the best cheesy car chase scene.

I've heard it said that the Italian language itself helped to get this sequence made: When they were getting the necessary permissions to shoot e.g. the indoors bits, they could just vaguely talk about bringing in their macchine for filming. This would be understood by the buildings' owners as 'equipment', but it does also mean 'cars' ...

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:30 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
PAstrychef wrote:I like a good chase, but one of the worst I sat through was in Quantum of Solace, where I couldn't tell the cars apart well enough to know which one I was cheering for.

Its a good example of where I prefer the cheesy Pierce Brosnan "Goleneye Tank Chase Scene" over the more serious, gritty Quantum of Solace scene.

While we're talking about older, cheesier films. Might as well talk about Blues Brother's Mall Scene.

Just because an action scene takes itself less seriously doesn't necessarily make it bad I guess. :D :D Or maybe I'm just a sucker for unnecessary wanton destruction played for light hearted comedy.

the Blues Brothers manages to pull off a great car jump-they go off a bridge that's in Milwaukee and land in Chicago. Close to 90 miles!
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:51 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Title.

Depends. Fury Road was amazing, and had a pile of car chase.

However, I hate the "obligatory car chase" in an action movie. If you're just throwing in cars going fast without anything else of interest on screen, I'm gonna get bored pretty quick. It's all about execution and how it connects into the movie as a whole. Done right, it's wonderful.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:14 pm UTC

As with all action scenes, I enjoy it when I can keep track of what's happening, and it actually does something for the plot. If I can only figure out what happened by analysing the aftermath, or if the sequence could be cut out of the movie entirely without anyone noticing, not so much.

New User

Postby New User » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:12 pm UTC

I enjoy car chase scenes, or I guess I should say vehicle scenes since I consider other vehicle scenes to be pretty much the same, whether it be horses or boats, or maybe even aircraft. Maybe it's the fast-paced action and editing. Maybe it's the impressive amount of destruction, and presumably an enormous proportion of the film's budget. I mean, just think of all the films where they drive through an office building, or otherwise destroy large amounts of scenery. In fact, I can think of several action movies wherein the vehicle chase scene was the most memorable or impressive action sequence of the film, or maybe even the whole series. For example, I thought the chase scene in Lethal Weapon 4 was the most memorable action sequence of the franchise. If it weren't for the freeway scene in Matrix: Reloaded, I would have disregarded that film as a completely unworthy sequel (which I still kind of do, but that freeway scene was awesome). I consider Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade to be a masterpiece of the action genre, and we get two chase scenes: First on motorboats, and later it's Indy on a horse versus a German tank. Even thinking of the amount of coordination involved in these scenes impresses me. I heard that they had a pilot actually fly a helicopter underneath a freeway overpass in Terminator 2: Judgment Day. And in the climax of Police Story 3: Supercop, they landed a helicopter on a moving train. Then the heroine jumps a motorbike from a ramp and lands on the moving train. At the end of the film, they show an outtake where she overshot the train completely and landed the motorbike on the other side. Looks scary!

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:31 am UTC

Car chases don't generally excite me, but they can be fun in context. Afficionados might like to see what was once described as "Steven Spielberg's favourite car chase scene". Other than that, my favourite chase is from the written medium, and it's the one from the opening of "Thud" by Terry Pratchett. Except that it isn't really a chase so much as a race against time. But it's definitely one that I long to see executed properly on-screen one day.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:04 pm UTC

Cannonball Run.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

araprado613

Postby araprado613 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:14 am UTC

I do! And it's not like Fast and Furious, I also like the ones in Transporter and the likes.

siloguist

Postby siloguist » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:30 pm UTC

I think for me it really depends on the context of the chase. As in, if the plot has built a backdrop of genuine tension for the car chase then it's great, as opposed to just basically doing it for the sake of it. The original Bourne trilogy did that really well.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”