Wrestling: Burly Greased-Up Theatre.

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

3fj

Wrestling: Burly Greased-Up Theatre.

Postby 3fj » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:01 pm UTC

Can't find a thread for it, so either this isn't the right place or it isn't the right audience, but I fucking love wrestling.

Recently, I've gotten back into watching WWE, but tend to only watch the big events and NXT (their developmental show which has a fan following) every week (mostly because they've made it easier thanks to their subscription service), but also been buoyed by the Scottish promotion ICW and a monthly exhibition here that's usually a bit of fun.

What's really got me to make this thread is that it's super-week at WWE right now, with NXT Takeover Dallas and Wrestlemania happening this weekend, which are the big shows for both promotions. I'm really excited for Takeover, and Wrestlemania is also a bit of fun, despite some of the fan backlash.

Anyone else watching this weekend?
Did you used to watch wrestling and don't any more?
Do you watch some super cool indie promotion and think I'm a casual?
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Carlington

Re: Wrestling: Burly Greased-Up Theatre.

Postby Carlington » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:01 am UTC

It's been quite a few years since I've watched. I think the last time was around the time Taker's streak got broken? I gather it's become less gimmicky and meant to be more marketed as legitimate sport now than before, is that accurate? I don't think NXT even existed when I stopped watching, but I notice you referred to it as one of the major promotions - does it still make sense to talk about Smackdown and RAW? How about ECW? How much have I missed?
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:29 pm UTC

While they have tried to market it as legitimate sport, that still hasn't taken off. ECW no longer exists except in memories and DVD collections. Smackdown and RAW are separate shows, but no longer have separate rosters. As for NXT, it functions the same as FCW and OVW before that - as a developmental "territory" where wrestlers can learn the WWE style and hone their characters before hopefully moving up to the "major leagues".

I remain an on/off fan, currently watching weekly but not sure how long that can last. I have low expectations for Wrestlemania tonight, but it's freaking Wrestlemania so of course I'll watch and of course it will be fun. If they crown Reigns the new champ without some sort of shenanigans or a heel turn, I may be headed for another hiatus.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:53 am UTC

I notice that the Shane McMahon and Co. vs. Stephanie McMahon, HHH and Associates thing is a feature at this WM.

I feel a strong sense of déjà vu.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:40 am UTC

Carlington wrote:I gather it's become less gimmicky and meant to be more marketed as legitimate sport now than before, is that accurate?

WWE, kind of has? Brock Lesnar is back from UFC and is treated as an unstoppable machine because of it. That said, some of the weirder gimmicks of late:
  • The Wyatt family. A Swamp dwelling death cult. I hesitate to call them hillbillies cause the only things they keep are the dirty clothing and house/furniture rather than the affectations. Their leader, Bray Wyatt, talks like a street preacher and believes himself heralder of the apocalypse, and at one point stole Undertaker and Kane's powers. I love them to pieces but they get jobbed around a lot.
  • The New Day. 3 black guys that are pop culture/internet memes personified. They used to be a shitty good-guy dancing preacher choir because WWE is still having problems with race, but they got creative control of themselves and now just go out and take the piss and act like bad guys. They currently wear horns and have their third member play the trombone. LOTS of video game references. Widely regarded as the best part of the show.
  • Stardust. Legit brother of Goldust. Doesn't like Goldust, but dresses similarly (except with a massive star on his face/gloves/clothing. Thinks he's from outer space and acts like a comic book villain. Had a legit feud with the guy who plays Green Arrow in Arrow.

So there's still fun to be had. On top of that, the Undertaker is still a thing, albeit not for long. So is Kane.
Gwydion wrote:As for NXT, it functions the same as FCW and OVW before that - as a developmental "territory" where wrestlers can learn the WWE style and hone their characters before hopefully moving up to the "major leagues".

I remain an on/off fan, currently watching weekly but not sure how long that can last. I have low expectations for Wrestlemania tonight, but it's freaking Wrestlemania so of course I'll watch and of course it will be fun. If they crown Reigns the new champ without some sort of shenanigans or a heel turn, I may be headed for another hiatus.

I currently only watch NXT and the PPVs and I feel so much better for it. While it's fair to stay there's still a bit of a FCW feel to some of the matches and promos (because hey, it's still developmental) I think with the amount of indie talent they have coming through there, it's still worth the watch. That's not to mention the freer reign they have with storytelling (although NXT is way more "legit sport"-y than the main show).
I find that I can dedicate an hour no problem, but I just can't sit through a 3/4 hour show and I'd have to go to the trouble of obtaining it somewhere other than the network, which doesn't seem worth the effort saying as all the best bits of the stories are recapped in the PPV.

Carlington wrote:I notice that the Shane McMahon and Co. vs. Stephanie McMahon, HHH and Associates thing is a feature at this WM.

I feel a strong sense of déjà vu.

Hey, at least this time she dressed up like Rita Repulsa!

As for Wrestlemania, there was some highs and a LOT of lows, especially by contrast to Takeover Dallas. I'll probably add to this later but I only got like 3 hours of sleep cause it was 7 hours long and started at 10pm.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”