Strangererest Things

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Re: Strangererest Things

Postby Liri » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:51 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
Spoiler:
the show doesn't at all question his actions, or make him re-evaluate his choices. [spoiler]

Spoiler:
I'm not certain what there is to question - he tucked a drunk friend into bed and left. What is there to reevaluate?
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:51 am UTC

I'm with Liri on this one, he was just being a good friend and helping out. If anything, I find the idea that it could be seen as inappropriate disturbing.

About Max being "the rogue," I didn't notice it at all when watching. Thinking back on it now, that fits her as much as "the mage" fits Eleven. Nothing in the show has felt remotely like a DnD group dynamic to me so I didn't really think of any of them actually fitting into that mold.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:32 pm UTC

I don't have a problem with the character, or his choices. I want to question the way the show put together that scene, and how it fits into the rest of the plot.
Even there, it's less about the specific choices made, and more about what that says about the perspective the show was made by and for.
Spoiler:
Again it's not judging the characters, or their reasoning or morality being good or bad. It's how the show understands these events, and how the show expects its audience to view these events.

Being a dude helping a drunk friend get home can look like a nice bonding experience.

Being a teen girl unconscious with a dude you kind of know, who's kind of into you can look like the worst possible thing

and one of those points of view is prioritized.

There's a lot to the show, wehre I feel like if they thought through things a little more, and a little differently, the end result wold be a lot different, and significantly better.
Spoiler:
They zig-zag on Eleven and her new friends killing dudes, to no particular effect.
But if they spent more time thinking about what it's like to be Eleven maybe it's less about "killing is wrong!", which feels very thin and hypocritical, maybe it's about not wanting to be the destructive force Papa tried to make her.

Also, where's Hopper's concern for her education? Is she good at math? Can she read at grade level?
The specifics are nit-picky, but it says something about what the show thinks is important.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:13 pm UTC

Spoiler:
In terms of focusing on his view instead of hers, I'm not sure I agree - both angles got seemingly equal camera time. In terms of his behavior, I felt he was acting fairly obnoxiously - waiting around a party for the girl you like to 'need help', swooping in and removing her from the situation as soon as her boyfriend is out of sight... It felt like too much 'nice guy syndrome' validation.

That said, it may also have been a product of trying to tell a tighter story. Instead of having a scene where he shows that he is capable of interacting with her as a friend and listening to her wants/needs as a person, they simply threw him in along for the ride for a scene involving her and Steve fighting. Which isn't great.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”