Bad Moms (split from Kubo and the Two Strings)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Lucrece

Bad Moms (split from Kubo and the Two Strings)

Postby Lucrece » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:16 am UTC

That film was just a genderflipped manchild trope (which, if I wanted to watch self absorbed, frivolous women instead of self-absorbed, frivolous men, I'd watch Sex and the City instead). It felt like it was produced by the likes of Adam Sandler and Zach Galifianakis.

I was even forgiving because I've loved Mila Kunis since Black Swan. But not even she can redeem that crap. I was not surprised by the 60% rotten tomatoes rating.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Diadem

Re: Kubo and the Two Strings

Postby Diadem » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:11 pm UTC

I don't think calling it a 'genderflipped manchild trope' works, since modern society's expectations of mothers play an essential role in the film. Also, despite the title, the mothers in the movie aren't actually bad mothers. Quite the contrary.

I thought the movie was pretty good. The ending was a bit too much for my taste, but other than that I was thoroughly entertained.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:42 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:I don't think calling it a 'genderflipped manchild trope' works, since modern society's expectations of mothers play an essential role in the film. Also, despite the title, the mothers in the movie aren't actually bad mothers. Quite the contrary.

I thought the movie was pretty good. The ending was a bit too much for my taste, but other than that I was thoroughly entertained.

Ooooooooh. I was trying to work out how that related to Kobo and got mightily confused.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:25 am UTC

Diadem wrote:I don't think calling it a 'genderflipped manchild trope' works, since modern society's expectations of mothers play an essential role in the film. Also, despite the title, the mothers in the movie aren't actually bad mothers. Quite the contrary.

So do they for fathers/grown men, unless you think somehow The Hangover is remotely representative of how most men are expected to behave. "Manchild" is actually an aberration from the norm, where fathers are expected to be responsible instead of being developmentally arrested in their fratboy years. It's lowbrow American comedy in the vein of American Pie.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

MooseBeer

Re: Bad Moms (split from Kubo and the Two Strings)

Postby MooseBeer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:32 pm UTC

Thought Bad Moms was great. Forced to go with the lady but not complaining after seeing it. The actresses were quite entertaining. Liked Kiki for sure.

Lucrece wrote:It felt like it was produced by the likes of Adam Sandler...

What's bad about Adam Sandler? Heard he was the most likeable guy in the whole of Hollywood and that's why he's able to get anybody to star in his films. I saw "The Longest Yard" on netflix two days ago. Not terrible at all.

Lucrece

Re: Bad Moms (split from Kubo and the Two Strings)

Postby Lucrece » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:24 pm UTC

MooseBeer wrote:Thought Bad Moms was great. Forced to go with the lady but not complaining after seeing it. The actresses were quite entertaining. Liked Kiki for sure.

Lucrece wrote:It felt like it was produced by the likes of Adam Sandler...

What's bad about Adam Sandler? Heard he was the most likeable guy in the whole of Hollywood and that's why he's able to get anybody to star in his films. I saw "The Longest Yard" on netflix two days ago. Not terrible at all.

I find his humor unbearably dumb and tacky.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”