Ghost in the Shelf (2017)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Re: Ghost in the Shelf (2017)

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:10 pm UTC

I imagine this movie started out very similarly to many big-budget disappointments:

A studio executive had on their desk two folders, one containing a pretty decent script for a cyberpunk blockbuster, and another containing the rights to Ghost in the Shell and a check for hojillions of dollars to make a movie with them. The executive then shuffled the folders together and handed them to his assistant with a smile and a nod and thus another bland action blockbuster with a marketable brand name was born.

Whatever that script was originally, it might have actually been pretty good if all its unique parts hadn't been plastered over with Ghost in the Shell. As Diadem wrote, it's very pretty, and the actors all clearly did the best with what they were given. If they had made a faithful live-action remake of the 1995 Ghost in the Shell with those resources, it could have been amazingly good.

This movie was two empty shells patched together with no ghost.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

djangochained

Postby djangochained » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:17 am UTC

A tiny tiny bit better than the anime, but I've really enjoyed both

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:32 pm UTC

Utter garbage. It felt like someone had seen GitS 1 and 2, didn't understand what it was about but liked a handful of iconic scenes/characters, reordered them, and then a committee wrote a shitty script to try and connect them all together. The Major is completely neutered and rendered little more than a passive weapon, Batou has none of his cool badassery, Togusa isn't given more than a token line of dialog... Hell, the only character that made me think of the original was the police chief, who was, in fairness, badass. The shitty replacement of the villain just feels like a knock off of the vocal effect from the 80's cafe in Back to the Future 2, and the plot was barely coherent, from virtually top to bottom.

The entire exploration of memory and consciousness and experiences is replaced with ScarJo trying her best to give us a whiny anguished character, and a few extraordinarily heavy handed quotes about how nono, just kidding, memories don't define us or matter at all NOTHING TO SEE HERE THEY DON'T DEFINE US AT ALL. It's kind of amazing that a brilliant film about an AI plotting to break free of its constraints by merging with a human consciousness gets translated into a Hollywood shitfest that insists that in the future, despite all that fancy tech, we evidently can't program AIs to be more complicated than fuckbots.

They even butchered the Spider Tank sequence. NeoTokyo felt completely uninhabited, even a scene of walking down a busy market street is nothing more than an excuse to shove a guy away, reminding us that NOPE, nothing of interest to see here, keep focusing on the 2-4 people who are relevant for the story, this isn't a lived in city space at all!

1/10, it gets a point for some pretty special effects and one or two fight sequences.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”