I Am Legend

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SpitValve
Not a mod.

I Am Legend

Postby SpitValve » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:15 pm UTC

Will Smith Remake of Omega Man, (based on a book called I Am Legend)

He's the last man alive, except for some sort of albino/cult/mutant/vampire things.

Trailer

This is my suggestion for the theme tune.

Geddit?

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:19 pm UTC

i'll be going to see this.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:50 pm UTC

Igeddit.

I wanna see this, the long theatrical trailer was actually very nice.

sunkistbabe1

Postby sunkistbabe1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:43 am UTC

Phenriz wrote:i'll be going to see this.

me too!

(or at least downloading)
- Sunkist -

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:42 pm UTC

Betcha that at some point in the film Will Smith will stop, the music will go "aaaaah-!" and he'll say "Oh Hell, No!", right into the camera.

I betcha.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

rxninja

Postby rxninja » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:00 am UTC

I've read the book and I'm looking forward to the movie, but I hear it's based on some "sequel" to IAL more than it is IAL itself. I've searched high and low for this alleged "sequel" and have only concluded that it either doesn't exist or that knowledge of its existence is like knowledge of the holy grail, which is to say convoluted, somewhat useless, and inconclusive.

If anyone knows the name of the sequel to the book (if there actually is such a thing), you would be my hero for at least a day.

Malice

Postby Malice » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:13 am UTC

I'm 99% positive there is no sequel to I Am Legend. (Notwithstanding I've never ever ever heard of it, and I'm fairly familar with the scope of Matheson's work, but the book itself doesn't really seem to leave any possibility of a sequel open.)

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:58 am UTC

So is this the same as "Last Man On Earth" starring Vincent Price? And if so, what's wrong with Vincent Price? Why do we need a fucking remake?
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:35 pm UTC

@trophy wrote:So is this the same as "Omega Man" starring Charleton Heston? And if so, what's wrong with Charleton Heston? Why do we need a fucking remake?

Fix'd.

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:50 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
@trophy wrote:So is this the same as "Omega Man" starring Charleton Heston? And if so, what's wrong with Charleton Heston? Why do we need a fucking remake?

Fix'd.

Ok, or that one.

Or that episode of the twilight zone with the guy who loves books...
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:13 pm UTC

Spoilers: he breaks his glasses at the end of the episode.

I always found it unbelievable that there was NO CHANCE AT ALL that he could have found another pair. Maybe not to his exact prescription, but at least close enough to be useful.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:38 pm UTC

All of the eyeglasses are broken... in the twilight zone.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:00 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:Spoilers: he breaks his glasses at the end of the episode.

I always found it unbelievable that there was NO CHANCE AT ALL that he could have found another pair. Maybe not to his exact prescription, but at least close enough to be useful.

"Wait, my eyesight's not that bad, there's always the large print books"
*eyes fallout*
"AAAHH..wait, I know how to read braille"
*hands fall off*
"AAHHHH!!!"
*tongue falls out*
*head falls off*
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:02 pm UTC

Cursed by his own hubris....

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:03 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

Fix'd.

Except.. it's also The Last Man on Earth with Mr. Price.

Both are equally valid responses.

I really need to stop reading threads, replying to posts in a funny way, then actually getting a serious response...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:06 pm UTC

I know they were. I simply mentioned Omega Man because it's more well-known, and actually IS based on "I Am Legend", and it's ALREADY a remake.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:11 pm UTC

Is it? I mean, I know of both, but I learned of the Price one before I learned of Omega Man...

Anyway, at least that's clarified.

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:42 pm UTC

Yeah I've seen (and own) Last Man on Earth but I haven't seen Omega Man. I may have to go find it at the library or something. Is it good?

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:35 pm UTC

I've heard that this movie is more based on the Omega Man movie than on the I Am Legend novel.

rxninja

Postby rxninja » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:33 pm UTC

Maybe "sequel" was the wrong term. There's supposed to be a book that deals with the events prior to I Am Legend.

Spoilers..
I mean something that starts up before Neville has barricaded himself in his house and before everyone else is afflicted. Something's supposed to be out there that deals with him being a scientist on the team that created the damn virus. That would make sense to coincide with the movie, seeing as it looks like it starts well before the outbreak actually happens...

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:42 am UTC

rxninja wrote:Maybe "sequel" was the wrong term. There's supposed to be a book that deals with the events prior to I Am Legend.

99.99% sure that there isn't.

Wikipedia article on the new movie mentions a flashback scene of those events; so probably the film won't show them.

It also says the script was rewritten to be closer to "The Omega Man" than the novel.

tiny

Re: I Am Legend

Postby tiny » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:03 am UTC

Whee, I'll get the book for christmas! Put it on my wishlist because of this thread and the reviews on amazon. :D
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:33 am UTC

I thought the movie was pretty good, but near the end, the quality kind of deteriorated. A lot. The beginning, however, was spectacular. And. <3 Will Smith.

Spoiler:
I admit, I started crying when Sam died. :(

Hmmm. Yes. The ending...not so good. I honestly don't know what happened. I was enjoying the movie's emotional depth so much, and then all of a sudden Neville was just fighting zombies and stuff. Boring. Plus, the zombies looked exactly like Voldemort. Great CGI effects there. If they were going to turn this movie into an action movie in the end, they could at least have made some cooler zombies to fight.

Well, anyways. The plot was kind of meh. But Will Smith was awesome (well, during most of the movie anyway...), and so was Sam- cutest doggie ever.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

blind visionary

Postby blind visionary » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:47 am UTC

i almost want to see it just because of the Dark Knight trailer at the beginning, and it looks alright

Phentos
"The Phucktard"

Postby Phentos » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 am UTC

I loved the movie so much I pirated it when I got back from the theater.

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:43 am UTC

saw it last night

Spoiler:
i will also admit that i was sobbing like a baby when sam died. this is not good for a 17 y/o male :(

i was watching it with my friend, and as soon as he was rescued by anna i was like "if that's his wife, i'm going to stab someone."

thankfully, it wasn't, and violence was aborted.

what bothered me was will smith's ADVERTISEMENT. STOP FLAUNTING THE FACT THAT YOU WEAR CONVERSE IN ALL OF YOUR MOVIES, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:58 am UTC

Saw it last night. It was mostly good. The girls in the group complained of very high stress levels and I complained of boredom. When movies use that you-know-something's-about-to-pop-out-at-you "suspense" I just shut down and start waiting for plot to happen. The girls, apparently, just go into fits of anxiety.

Spoiler:
The Stand with reavers.

I think they extremely underplayed that one king reaverzombie that was able to think and build traps. That could have built some real suspense, IMO.
Oh yeah, it bugs the hell out of me when a movie so obviously becomes an advertisement. Commercial breaks are just around the corner, I swear.

Edit spoiler
Spoiler:
I just remembered something else that bugged me. That butterfly connection was lame with weaksauce and a side of lose. The 5 or so minutes of movie on either side of that weren't done very well, IMO.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:37 am UTC

Spoiler:
that butterfly thing was really stupid. i mean, holy shit how do you remember that?

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:50 am UTC

By the time Hollywood puts commercial breaks in their movies things like that Sanctuary show(which I need to get sometime) will have taken over.

I hope so.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:12 pm UTC

aaron wrote:
Spoiler:
that butterfly thing was really stupid. i mean, holy shit how do you remember that?

Spoiler:
It's the last thing he saw his child do before they died. I'd have to kill him if he didn't remember it.

I saw it on Saturday, I thought it was pretty good myself. Though I think the ending was a bit too quick about finishing off. I mean really, it was going along and then...
Spoiler:
Oh me yarm the infected followed you back here. Oh noes, they're attacking. Hey, stop ramming the glass. Oh hey, my stuff worked. Oh look, butterfly tattoo. Take this, hide. Blow up everything.

Though I have to say, my favorite part of the movie was...
Spoiler:
When they made a trap with Fred. That was just hilarious. "Fred! What are you doing here Fred?!?"
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:11 pm UTC

The one thing I found irritating ....

Spoiler:
....was how much they played up the one darkseeker that actually seemed intelligent, and then didn't really do anything with him except make him the big bad. From the point where they made it clear he was different, I was sitting there going "Okay, this is cool. Where are you taking this, movie?" and the answer was "Not goddamn anywhere." They didn't explain him, they didn't justify him, he didn't play a pivotal role in how things went forward. He was just Bad Guy+

Which is not to say I disliked the movie. I liked it a lot. That bit just bothered me a bit.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:50 pm UTC

Belial wrote:The one thing I found irritating ....

Spoiler:
....was how much they played up the one darkseeker that actually seemed intelligent, and then didn't really do anything with him except make him the big bad. From the point where they made it clear he was different, I was sitting there going "Okay, this is cool. Where are you taking this, movie?" and the answer was "Not goddamn anywhere." They didn't explain him, they didn't justify him, he didn't play a pivotal role in how things went forward. He was just Bad Guy+

Which is not to say I disliked the movie. I liked it a lot. That bit just bothered me a bit.

Yeah....

Spoiler:
Yeah, I was REALLY hoping they were going somewhere with that darkseeker. At first, I thought it was going to be like "Oh hey, Smith jacked my girlfriend. I'm pissed." and that the power of love is present even in that deformed state (which would have made for a REALLY cool side-story), but it just turned out that he was just the angriest. That really bothered me as well.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:23 pm UTC

I HATE it in movies where there is that over the top silence and slow camera pans to create "tension" followed by equally over the top screechy "music" and some stereotypical mouth foaming, hands in the air, grotesque thing pops from off screen. That said, I don't mind horror in general or gore, just the umpteenth million attempt at getting people to spill their popcorn as some sorry excuse for a dramatic moment.

So, should I just skip this movie? I'm not very forgiving of that stuff but I've heard Will Smith was excellent and I've always been a fan of his...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:25 pm UTC

aaron wrote:
Belial wrote:The one thing I found irritating ....

Spoiler:

Yeah....

Spoiler:
Yeah, I was REALLY hoping they were going somewhere with that darkseeker. At first, I thought it was going to be like "Oh hey, Smith jacked my girlfriend. I'm pissed." and that the power of love is present even in that deformed state (which would have made for a REALLY cool side-story), but it just turned out that he was just the angriest. That really bothered me as well.

Spoiler:
Yeah, I do kind of wish they had made something more of it. Though I was thinking more of it being his daughter than a girlfriend.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:44 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I HATE it in movies where there is that over the top silence and slow camera pans to create "tension" followed by equally over the top screechy "music" and some stereotypical mouth foaming, hands in the air, grotesque thing pops from off screen. That said, I don't mind horror in general or gore, just the umpteenth million attempt at getting people to spill their popcorn as some sorry excuse for a dramatic moment.

So, should I just skip this movie? I'm not very forgiving of that stuff but I've heard Will Smith was excellent and I've always been a fan of his...

That's a tough call. It really is a mostly good movie, it's just that so much of it was unnecessary artificial tension and unfulfilled potential. The effects were pretty good, possibly worth the eight bucks if you really like that sort of thing. IMO, though, unless you have a particular interest in this sort of thing, it's a renter. Oh, and both the girls in teh group made funny noises when Smith was doing pull-ups with his shirt off... it might be worth $8 if you're into that sort of thing, too.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:54 pm UTC

Oh, I just remembered absurd creepiness....

Spoiler:
The scene where he peers into the one room, and there's a cluster of darkseekers just standing around in a circle with their backs to him, PANTING....so creepy. I really, really enjoyed that shot just for being so damn unsettling.

They/them

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:58 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Oh, I just remembered absurd creepiness....

Spoiler:
The scene where he peers into the one room, and there's a cluster of darkseekers just standing around in a circle with their backs to him, PANTING....so creepy. I really, really enjoyed that shot just for being so damn unsettling.

Maybe you could enlighten me on this,
Spoiler:
why didn't the darkseekers react to him shining a light on him then?

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:01 pm UTC

I thought about that, and I realized....

Spoiler:
I think they were asleep. Which is equally creepy. They sleep standing up. In a circle. Panting. Eww.

They/them

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I thought about that, and I realized....

Spoiler:
I think they were asleep. Which is equally creepy. They sleep standing up. In a circle. Panting. Eww.

:shock:
Spoiler:
That is quite creepy. I wish I hadn't read that now...

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:27 pm UTC

Yeah, I wish I hadn't thought it.

They/them

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”