Spoiler:
Will Smith becomes an legend.

Discuss.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Re: I Am Legend

Postby davef » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Umm, I think that's the jist of my 'Biblical Allegory' point earlier.
Unless you mean he becomes Ian Legend. Which makes no sense at all. Much like the ending of the movie.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:01 pm UTC

davef wrote:
Spoiler:
Umm, I think that's the jist of my 'Biblical Allegory' point earlier.
Unless you mean he becomes Ian Legend. Which makes no sense at all. Much like the ending of the movie.

Wow. Somebody didn't get the horrible joke. Believe me, you're not missing much.

As for ChooChoo, just GTFO. That joke was lame.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

davef

Postby davef » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

Okay, explain that one to me in words of less than two syllables, please...

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

davef wrote:Okay, explain that one to me in words of less than two syllables, please...

It's a very long story. Just look up Mitchell Henderson, aka "an hero".
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

davef

Postby davef » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Right. Done and done. Let's all move on kthxbai.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

I liked the movie but I thought they could have expanded a lot more on the backstory. For example, what happened in the intervening time between the development of the virus and the evacuation of Manhattan when it became malicious and airborne? What was that stuff he was pouring on the stoop near the beginning of the movie? What's the deal with the mannequins? How did he install all those steel shutters in his house?

It was a pretty interesting idea - The scene where the whole side of Manhattan was filled with thousands of people trying to get out of the city they were trapped in was really moving - but there was so much opportunity for a deep story that they kind of glossed over to make an action movie. I guess I'll have to pick up the book and see if it's better.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

I dunno. I thought the mannequins were self explanatory. He moved and posed them and treated them like people as a coping mechanism to hold off the general insanity that comes with constant isolation. Like Wilson in "Castaway".

The stuff he poured on his porch was likely bleach or ammonia to throw off the noses of the darkseekers and dogs.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

This is MY exact review on Imdb; (no spoilers so no spoiler code)
As my summary states, 7/10 might be pushing it. I had quite a few problems with this movie.

1) Overpriced, but that's not entirely the movie's fault. Mostly my own problem, as I could have spent my 5$ for ticket and 15$ on food on something entirely different than this. My bad.

2) The acting was fine. Really, it wasn't too far fetched or anything. But that's really the only thing that saved this movie from being a 4/10 for me.

3) And now to my main problem, was the story itself. There were entirely too many irrelevant(Sp?) scenes that didn't need to be included while the actual "background" of the 94% population dieing off was explained in unorganized flashbacks. Instead of shoving 30 minutes of "filler-up" scenes watching Will Smith's character stalk, walk, and jump through the barren streets of Manhatten (or NYC itself? I got confused), more relevancy to the story could have been plugged in.

4) The "horror" of this movie was pathetically achieved with the "quiet.... quiet... BOO!" horror style that should have died off years ago.

What I'm trying to say is the movie was dragged too much. A lot of it just pointless, they could have added more to the movie. Hell, make it longer if that's what it takes.

Waste of money, buy it on discount. Worth a watch but not in theaters.

Last edited by Vanguard on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:
Spoiler:
I didn't think the ending was too bad. It had to play out the way it did, it just could have been executed a little better. The colony was stupid though. Sometimes it's ok for everyone to die.

I disagree.

Spoiler:
I think the end could have played out like the book, and you'd have gotten a much better film, though much less marketable to the masses (I mean, how do make Will Smith *NOT* the good guy, but instead basically a mass-murderer?)
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:07 pm UTC

Belial wrote:The movie wasn't based on the book, it was based on....the movie that was based on the book. So it was a movie adaptation of a movie adaptation of a book. It's a very good thing I haven't read the book, because I'm sure my expectations would have been wrecked.

Except the first hour or so of the movie felt rather like the book. Actually, it seemed to me that the movie was initially going to be close to the book, but was changed part way though filming. O_o (it would explain why the ending was so abrupt and possibly some of the plot holes...)
Why do you assume that I exist?

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

UmbralRaptor wrote:
Belial wrote:The movie wasn't based on the book, it was based on....the movie that was based on the book. So it was a movie adaptation of a movie adaptation of a book. It's a very good thing I haven't read the book, because I'm sure my expectations would have been wrecked.

Except the first hour or so of the movie felt rather like the book. Actually, it seemed to me that the movie was initially going to be close to the book, but was changed part way though filming. O_o (it would explain why the ending was so abrupt and possibly some of the plot holes...)

That explains a lot.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

Did anyone else feel that the movie was like this:
Spoiler:
Two guys sitting around and one of them goes "Hey, i remember reading this book! and it had... um, people hwere dead, but one guy was alive, and IMMUNE! yeah, thats it, immune, and there are vampires too! ohhh, and a dog! and then some stuff happens, and he seals himself in the house and.... crap what happened next? I dunno, pour me another drink

I liked it, but it wasn't really deserving of the title I am legend.

Spoiler:
I love how will smith strangled his dog. very moving scene

Spoiler:
i hated the new interpretation of how will smith became a 'legend'. for those interested, in the book, he is the legend because the vampires, the NEW people of earth, fear him, as he walks around all day hunting them. they finally capture him and he realizes that he's the monster... so, we got will smith, and he's GOTTA be a hero. Oh well. Still cool movie.

EDIT: I don't understand why alot of movies based on books insist on making drastic and stupid changes to the storyline. Minor tweaks, sure, you can't translate book-->movie perfectly, but COMON, hollywood rapes most of the books it turns to film.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Pai

Postby Pai » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:12 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Spoiler:
i hated the new interpretation of how will smith became a 'legend'. for those interested, in the book, he is the legend because the vampires, the NEW people of earth, fear him, as he walks around all day hunting them. they finally capture him and he realizes that he's the monster... so, we got will smith, and he's GOTTA be a hero. Oh well. Still cool movie.

See, that plot sounds way more interesting. I'll have to read the book now.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

Numquam

Postby Numquam » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:09 am UTC

lowbart wrote:I liked the movie but I thought they could have expanded a lot more on the backstory. For example, what happened in the intervening time between the development of the virus and the evacuation of Manhattan when it became malicious and airborne? I think either nothing interesting happened, ie the virus hit them all at once or that no one really knew what happened.
What was that stuff he was pouring on the stoop near the beginning of the movie? I'm pretty sure it was vinegar to keep the "vampires" away. I remember after that scene there was a close up on the bottle but I can't remember what it said.

What's the deal with the mannequins? How did he install all those steel shutters in his house?
It was a pretty interesting idea - The scene where the whole side of Manhattan was filled with thousands of people trying to get out of the city they were trapped in was really moving - but there was so much opportunity for a deep story that they kind of glossed over to make an action movie. I guess I'll have to pick up the book and see if it's better.
admiror, o internet, te non cecidisse (ruinis)
qui tot scriptorum taedia sustineas

Alibaba

Postby Alibaba » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:22 am UTC

I really didn't like how the second trap scene was done, too much controversy; however, I still enjoyed the movie.

Mr. Samsa

Postby Mr. Samsa » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:34 am UTC

Belial wrote:I thought about that, and I realized....

Spoiler:
I think they were asleep. Which is equally creepy. They sleep standing up. In a circle. Panting. Eww.

This probably says more about me than the movie itself.. but I was half expecting the camera to zoom in to the soggy biscuit in the middle.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:32 pm UTC

Mr. Samsa wrote: but I was half expecting the camera to zoom in to the soggy biscuit in the middle.

Haha, I see wut u did thar.

Mr. Samsa

Postby Mr. Samsa » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

Pretty clever huh? I was up all night thinking that one up..

pinkgothic

Postby pinkgothic » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I was a bit irritated at the level of IQ the director obviously expected in his viewers... i.e. none at all. By the time they did the first flashback scene, I was sorely waiting for it to get done and over with, because almost its entire content had been obvious. Also, I don't like kid-heartstrings, which ruined the scene(s) for me, to boot. It's the lamest card a movie can pull. I was greatly relieved when the kid you saw later in the movie actually never spoke and showed several occasions of amazing common sense (such as picking up a knife to defend himself when Will Smith's character went apeshit), and generally was mostly devoid of doing stupidly clichéd kid things.

Personally, I would've liked the movie to end with Will Smith's character getting dragged out of his overturned car and killed. End credits.

But no, he had to get saved. At first I thought, wait, maybe a lot of people on the outside survived, and finally decided to come rescue him (though I've no excuse as to why they would do this, but I was willing to wait for an explanation of that), which would have been nice - e.g. maybe someone found a cure outside the quarantine zone, and they were coming back to get any survivors out and save the infected. But, no, just a woman who doesn't even show a shred of backbone later, which made no sense to me at all.

And then the lamesauce with a side of lose, as was said earlier on. I also inwardly lol'ed at the "scan her again!" sequence. That was really, really bad, too.

Like many here, I found the best scene was the one where he was lured into a trap by 'Fred'. Priceless! And, also like many here, I have newfound respect for Will Smith. His acting was ace!

So, all in all, I enjoyed it, but they could've lopped the end off and left the whole thing with a 'bad' ending for me.

Edit -

Pai wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:
Spoiler:

See, that plot sounds way more interesting. I'll have to read the book now.

Seconded.

Actually, I was half expecting the movie to be like that, simply because it had uncanny semblance to something I wrote a few months ago, and had a twist much like the one Izawwlgood mentioned. Being disturbed by the semblance of the movie with my scribblings (particularly in mood), it was easy to go all out paranoid, in all the good ways. In that, the movie 'disappointed' me, though I can't say I truly expected it to go along those lines, though there was a giddy background hope it might.

I definitely have to read the book now.
Stuff: own scribblings; favourite mewsic: luxuria & @440; underrated game

theonemephisto

Postby theonemephisto » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Actually, speaking of the virus...

Spoiler:
When the virus first started manifesting itself, in an effort to control it and prevent it from spreading they tried to quarantine NY city...there's another thing I don't understand...they were ohsocareful in making sure that no one infected left the island of Manhattan and yet the disease still spread worldwide...if there was already an outbreak outside the city then why the effort to make sure that no one infected would leave? And if there wasn't already such an outbreak, then how did it occur? The virus was airborne but surely there's a limit on the distance which such can travel??

Spoiler:
I think one of the points of the "scan her again" scene was to show how ineffective the scanners were at detecting who was infected and who wasn't.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

So NY was quarantined... Then uh;

Spoiler:
How did the chick get to NY to rescue him? How did she get off?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Thread revival! You know how we were all pissing and moaning about how the main baddy showed a BIT of humanity, but then they didn't expand on it at all?

Well, in the alternate ending, apparently:

Spoiler:
At that point, Neville's—and the audience's—assumptions about the nature of these creatures are shown to be incorrect. We see that they have actually retained some of their humanity. There is a very important moment between the alpha male and Neville." David Schaub stated, "Then, when Neville finally turns the alpha female over to the alpha male, there is this little love moment between the two of them." The infected then retrieve the captured female and spare Neville's life. The original final shot follows Neville, Anna, and Ethan as they cross the remnants of the George Washington Bridge in hopes of finding other survivors. This ending will be used for an alternate cut of the film in the DVD release.

Discuss. Personally, that seems like an extremely lame ending. It's nice that they touched on the "Oh, the crazy almost-zombies have feelings too." but they kind of did it.... well, wrong.

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

aaron wrote:Thread revival! You know how we were all pissing and moaning about how the main baddy showed a BIT of humanity, but then they didn't expand on it at all?

Well, in the alternate ending, apparently:

Spoiler:
At that point, Neville's—and the audience's—assumptions about the nature of these creatures are shown to be incorrect. We see that they have actually retained some of their humanity. There is a very important moment between the alpha male and Neville." David Schaub stated, "Then, when Neville finally turns the alpha female over to the alpha male, there is this little love moment between the two of them." The infected then retrieve the captured female and spare Neville's life. The original final shot follows Neville, Anna, and Ethan as they cross the remnants of the George Washington Bridge in hopes of finding other survivors. This ending will be used for an alternate cut of the film in the DVD release.

Discuss. Personally, that seems like an extremely lame ending. It's nice that they touched on the "Oh, the crazy almost-zombies have feelings too." but they kind of did it.... well, wrong.

I'd like to second this. I saw 'I Am Legend' for the first time the other day and I watched the alternate version first, then I watched the theatrical ending. I can see why so many people were soured by the movie. There were parts of each ending I liked, but I'd say the alternate version was definitely much better. And even though it's a difference in only the last 10 minutes or so, it really gives the entire movie a different feel.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

You know what would have made this movie good? The ending that the author actually wrote. That would have been nice.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:You know what would have made this movie good? My money back.

F'xed. ;)
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:03 am UTC

I whole-heartedly support reading the book, so long as you understand you're reading a completely different story with the same name :) The book was excellent. Stuff in the movie made a tiny bit more sense when you understand what they were unthinkingly adapating from.

Over all, I enjoyed the movie for what it was. Two very good, but very seperate stories, both enjoyable in their own rights.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:34 am UTC

I'm a bit confused - you all seem to have watched a different ending to me or something. Will Smith doesn't blow himself up, he escapes with the lady and the kid after the zombies let them go. Which I thought was quite a good ending, given the reason WHY the zombies let them go.

Spoiler:
Leader Zombie draws butterfly on window, Will Smith realises the zombie woman he'd captured was LZ's girlfriend and all LZ wants is his girlfriend back. WS wheels her out into the mass of zombies, revives her while LZ snarls at the other zombies to back off, zombies walk away with LZ's girlfriend. WS leaves Manhattan with lady and kid.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:10 am UTC

I think you watched the second disc of the Special Edition. It has an altered, allegedly more controversial, ending.

I have the Special Edition! Woo!
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:28 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:I think you watched the second disc of the Special Edition. It has an altered, allegedly more controversial, ending.

Sounds like it's the better ending (I've not seen the original ending) since it actually does something cool with regards to Leader Zombie. I mean blowing yourself up to save the woman and her kid is all very well, but it's a terrible cliché. The ending I saw was a very powerful one because it showed that the zombies were still capable of some basic human emotions and instincts, and raised the moral ambiguity of Will Smith's experiments when you realise his subjects were still more-or-less human.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:33 pm UTC

The movie theater ending was pretty lame. The alternative ending was also fairly lame I thought, but better.

Spoiler:
OOOOH! The zombie leader was drawing a butterfly... I missed that!

if you even marginally enjoyed this movie, you ought to read the book.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
michaelandjimi wrote:I think you watched the second disc of the Special Edition. It has an altered, allegedly more controversial, ending.

Sounds like it's the better ending (I've not seen the original ending) since it actually does something cool with regards to Leader Zombie. I mean blowing yourself up to save the woman and her kid is all very well, but it's a terrible cliché. The ending I saw was a very powerful one because it showed that the zombies were still capable of some basic human emotions and instincts, and raised the moral ambiguity of Will Smith's experiments when you realise his subjects were still more-or-less human.

Yet again, if they had done an ending similar to the book (capture Smith and put him on trial for his crimes against their new humanity), then you'd get that same effect except, you know, it might have been good. I was just so frustrated with how good the first half of the movie was and how poorly they ended it. Reminds me of Hancock now that I think about it.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”