Star Wars Episode 3.5: Roguey One Kenobe

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

charliepanayi

Star Wars Episode 3.5: Roguey One Kenobe

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:38 pm UTC

THREADSPLIT, the new fragrance by Felstaff ('so pungent!')

Rogue One is here!

Big spoiler! Same goes for all in this thread; best to watch the movie first before your busy fingers get clicky.
Spoiler:
Blimey, they should have subtitled it Everyone Dies at the End
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Star Wars: Episode 7: Electric Boogaleven

Postby Felstaff » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:49 pm UTC

I watched it this afternoon in IMAX; centre seat, centre row. My company even laid out posh popcorn and snacks, and I had a few beers beforehand. I think it's better than Electric Boogaleven. Cracking film. Really tip top.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:46 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I watched it this afternoon in IMAX; centre seat, centre row. My company even laid out posh popcorn and snacks, and I had a few beers beforehand. I think it's better than Electric Boogaleven. Cracking film. Really tip top.

Just got back from it. It were super.

Spoiler:
The Tarkin and Leia were a little unsettling.

Vader going ham on those guys was pretty sweet.

Not one kiss in the whole movie! Excellent@@@@

Oh yeah and the droid was fantastic. Like if R2 could talk.
kalira wrote:But your own butt is always in the past, because it's behind you.

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:26 am UTC

Liri wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I'm never going to understand why romance in nerd media is something to complain about

Liri

Postby Liri » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:43 am UTC

Prefanity wrote:
Liri wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I'm never going to understand why romance in nerd media is something to complain about

By the time you get 3/4 of the way through the movie, it'd have seemed very forced. This movie didn't need it, I'm not railing against it in general.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:01 am UTC

Prefanity wrote:
Liri wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Well that's okay, since this is about romance in this particular saga. That narrows it down a bit, yes?
Felstaff wrote:I think it's better than Electric Boogaleven. Cracking film. Really tip top.
I think I agree, it's a nice film. I hope Episode 8 continues this trend

Liri wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Yeah...people's faces don't move that much, especially in those areas. They looked really cartoonish to me.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
rath358 wrote:manually adding a long list of swear words to my dictionary worked.

Liri

Postby Liri » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:04 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:
Liri wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Yeah...people's faces don't move that much, especially in those areas. They looked really cartoonish to me.

Spoiler:
I'm glad they went for it though. In a few years' time they can hopefully go back and touch them up. Star Wars is pretty used to that.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:51 pm UTC

Yes, we haven't quite sailed across the uncanny valley with CGI just yet. When faced with the terrible visage of
Spoiler:
Grand Moff Cushing himself
I was reminded of the Old Man's Head In The PlayStation 2 First Tech Demo.

However, the very last shot...
Spoiler:
...I didn't realise was purely computer-generated: I thought it looked like de-grained 70s footage of Carrie Fisher saying "hope!" (or a similar word, dubbed over like a Bad Lip Reading), painted over the backdrop of the Tantive IV.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:04 pm UTC

Re: old friends.

Spoiler:
I still find the four uses of New Hope footage to be interesting. Though Gold Leader is still alive - I have no idea if they got him to dub in that altered line of dialog. Though I found having Red 5 identify themselves then immediately die to be gratuitous.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:05 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I watched it this afternoon in IMAX; centre seat, centre row. My company even laid out posh popcorn and snacks, and I had a few beers beforehand. I think it's better than Electric Boogaleven. Cracking film. Really tip top.

Does it introduce new setpieces (e.g. no death star, millenium falcon) and a plot of their own? Does it flesh out the main character(s) (unlike self-insert-Rey in boogaleven, and possibly all the Skywalkers before which I can't remember because I haven't seen those films for so long)? Does it have political intrigue? Is Snoke revealed to actually be snokennoken?

Liri

Postby Liri » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:44 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Does it introduce new setpieces (e.g. no death star, millenium falcon) and a plot of their own?

Huh, that actually brings up an issue I hadn't thought about. If a new viewer watched all -eight- movies in SW universe chronological order, seeing the Death Star for the first time in IV is completely spoiled.

My main impetus to have kids is to try out different viewing orders on them.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:20 pm UTC

Liri wrote:
Flumble wrote:Does it introduce new setpieces (e.g. no death star, millenium falcon) and a plot of their own?

Huh, that actually brings up an issue I hadn't thought about. If a new viewer watched all -eight- movies in SW universe chronological order, seeing the Death Star for the first time in IV is completely spoiled.

You're a bad parent if you make them watch the first trilogy. At least wait for the inevitable remake.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:36 pm UTC

Liri wrote:

Wait, when are you supposed to watch the Ewoks movies again?
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:45 pm UTC

It's funny reading the parallel reactions from here compared to the more conservative forums. "I'm upset they wasted a character slot on a girl, and she didn't even do anything".

Liri

Postby Liri » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:28 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
Liri wrote:

Wait, when are you supposed to watch the Ewoks movies again?

I think they're supposed to be digitally replaced with Gungans.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:01 am UTC

Just saw it today.

Spoiler:
Is it just me, or does Vader's helmet in R1 look... half-assed?

The neck looked fat, as though Vader had put on 40 more pounds and then his head was shoved into a 1950's /60's B-movie rubber mask.

The red reflection to the lenses was cool, don't get me wrong I liked that, but the overall shape seemed like they took the original multi-part helmet with a tighter neck armor and did a single-piece casting of the helmet, with a neck area that needed to accept the actor's entire head.

Edit:

Spoiler:
Having a bit of an art background this got me looking at production stills from the original movies and images of Vader from Rogue 1. Vader's original helmet costume had a matte finish on the neck, didn't reflect a whole lot of light. In Rogue 1 they polished the whole faceplate piece, including the neck, reflecting more light makes it look larger, less shadowed by the rest of the head, so his neck looks fat and his face looks small.

Compare images of Vader's helmet from the original movies

to a shot of Vader from Rogue 1
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

OP Tipping

Star Wars Episode 3.5: Rogue One

Postby OP Tipping » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:51 am UTC

Can't really say much without spoilers but ... it's good. Even setting aside the Star Wars aspect, it is an exciting and moving combat story.

Spoiler:
Given how visually perfect everything was, including Tarkin, it seemed to me that the CGI Leia was not quite up to spec.

Weeks

Re: Star Wars Episode 3.5: Rogue One

Postby Weeks » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:15 am UTC

Can we assume there'll be spoilers in the main thread for a movie?

OP Tipping wrote:
Spoiler:
Given how visually perfect everything was, including Tarkin
What no. His face moved too much. I could tell immediately that it was completely CG.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
rath358 wrote:manually adding a long list of swear words to my dictionary worked.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:04 pm UTC

I thought it was pretty meh. It over-indulged itself in darkness and I think Cassian Andor was completely unnecessary in the movie. He was just a love interest check box and his character seemed completely foreign to the rest of star wars themes. I missed the comforting dichotomy of morality that every other star wars film has. It may be "simplistic" but it shifted focus away from over-analyzing character's dispositions. I think if you removed everything to do with him the movie would be better for it.

The CGI characters were horribly done and should have been minimized much more than they were.

I did like the actual plot (helps a new hope immensely) and the planets they went to were just visually stunning.

The ending
Spoiler:
I wasn't sure if I was watching "A New Hope" or not and I also found that disconcerting and unnecessary. Tieing it in did not require such a heavy hand. I suspect lightsaber fun was the only reason for that new hope paralleling sequence... which would just essentially repeat seconds later if rogue one were played immediately prior to a new hope? Just have Vader lurk around breathing and choking people with the force ffs.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:13 pm UTC

I absolutely loved it.

Spoiler:
Jesus Christ Leia's "we are on a diplomatic mission from Alderaan" line just got 500% ballsier
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:40 pm UTC

sardia wrote:It's funny reading the parallel reactions from here compared to the more conservative forums. "I'm upset they wasted a character slot on a girl, and she didn't even do anything".

I'm not going to lie, she didn't really *do* all that much. It would have been nice to see her take a more active role. Sure, she gets her big heroic speech, but for far too much of the movie, things are happening to her, and she's not really driving the plot.

Going into spoilers for details:
Spoiler:
Why do we have her literally raised by a rebel leader, and then spend forever rejecting being part of the rebellion? Cmon, literally everyone here wants to see her rebelling. This is what you sold in the trailers. Instead, she's merely pushed along for most of it. She doesn't actually do anything for the rebellion. The only actual thing she does, she's forbidden from doing, and it seems really awkward that everyone just goes along with her, given that most of them literally don't know her at all.

Vader's helmet was indeed all wrong.

R2 and C3P0 are dicks, having known where the secret rebel base on Yavin was all along.

The rebellion are dicks, for wanting to kill her father to "stop the superweapon" even though it said superweapon has already been demonstrated to be operational, uncomfortably close to them. Seriously, this whole subplot makes no GD sense as framed.

Star destroyers hover over cities, now, I guess. It looked cool, but you'd think this would have been really handy in other situations.

Backpack laser machine guns apparently also provide ludicrous firepower, but will never be used again.

For someone attuned to a force that literally lets him sense important emotions and such, Vader's pretty much crap at figuring out what the mooks he's slaughtering are up to, and stopping them. Also, punning.

The ending makes Leia's introduction in Ep IV hella awkward. Claiming diplomatic immunity when you've been directly followed from a major battle is sort of odd, and the tone isn't at all consistent with how Leia's mission is portrayed there.

Blind monk is basically a Jedi. Who hasn't been noticed by the Imperials. Yknow, hanging out at the Jedi temple he used to work at, that the Imperials control. In a setting where we're supposed to believe the Jedi's are uncommon. C'mon.

Shields, how the hell do they work?

Imperial disregard for handrails and safety requirements seems to be consistent, though.

A *lot* of things seem to have been done solely to look cool. This is the darker, edgier starwars, somehow. It pushed that theme hard, just like the last one leaned incredibly heavily on nostalgia, even though in neither case does it make the movie make any GD sense.

OP Tipping

Re: Star Wars Episode 3.5: Roguey One Kenobe

Postby OP Tipping » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:51 am UTC

One other thing:
It was somewhat ... I want to say "refreshingly realistic" but that seems wrong ... that the outcome of an extremely dangerous mission is what you'd expect:
Spoiler:
everyone dies

99% of action movies, we know that it something is very risky because they say so, but if it is so risky, why don't the main characters die?

This was part of what I liked about Torchwood. Two and half series in, nearly all the main characters have died, because it is dangerous work.

PS: also like K2SO's personality.

PS2: ready with the Honest Trailer names, if they need any help:
Starrring:

Jyn Hawking
Hannibal Wrecked-er
Cassianova
Quip man
Tarkin Pictures
CGI Layer
Baze of Glory
Potassium Sulphate
No time to Bail Organa
Can't Run Forest Run
Ahmed second best
Lyra shot first
Danny Rayburned
and Bacta Back.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:16 am UTC

I loved it too. Great movie! I like that we seem to be on an upward trajectory of quality, after the prequels shite, A Force Awakens was pretty decent, and then this one - superb. I recommend checking out interviews with Gareth Edwards, he is a funny and likeable dude and a massive Star Wars fan.

Some reactions to thoughts in this thread:
Spoiler:
I totally didn't get any CGI badness. Even Leia at the end - in retrospect, yeah it looked weird, but I was so loved up by that point I just thought it was AWESOME. Gave me goosebumps.
Mosc, I have no idea what you're talking about. Cassian Andor was great! He fitted in well IMO. And by dichotomy of morality do you mean that the blurring of good and evil in this film was a negative? If so, then strongly disagree. It's what made Empire my favourite (as an adult).

And a point of confusion:
Spoiler:
I figured after Bodhi Rook got mind-fucked by that weird tentacle creature, he'd have been permanently drooling, but later on he was fine. Bit weird right?

Lastly, Riz Ahmed is a pretty decent MC from what I have heard

HES

Postby HES » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:33 pm UTC

OP Tipping wrote:It was somewhat ... I want to say "refreshingly realistic" but that seems wrong ... that the outcome of an extremely dangerous mission is what you'd expect:
Spoiler:
everyone dies

That hardly counts as a spoiler given that this is a prequel
He/Him/His Image

Liri

Postby Liri » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:58 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:And a point of confusion:
Spoiler:
I figured after Bodhi Rook got mind-fucked by that weird tentacle creature, he'd have been permanently drooling, but later on he was fine. Bit weird right?

That bothered me, too.

I'm sure I'll be shunned forever for saying I don't loathe the prequels. The weird Yoda puppet in Ep. 1, Hayden Christenson (sp?), and a lot of the dialogue were bad-to-awful, but I generally enjoyed them. I'm not a fan of the groupthink that the lightsaber duels in the prequels were bad/silly/what have you, for instance. I think they just had better choreographers and CGI.

And on the other hand, I kinda detested Ep. VII largely because it was pandering to everyone who hated the prequels. It was totally derivative and far more "disrespectful" than the prequels were to the established mythos. Things like non-Jedi not being able to use lightsabers and even Jedi requiring years of training were comically ignored. I don't understand the fan that would be content with watching such a pandering movie filled with ridiculously blatant winks and nods to the audience. [/rant]

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:26 pm UTC

Liri wrote:And on the other hand, I kinda detested Ep. VII largely because it was pandering to everyone who hated the prequels. It was totally derivative and far more "disrespectful" than the prequels were to the established mythos. Things like non-Jedi not being able to use lightsabers and even Jedi requiring years of training were comically ignored. I don't understand the fan that would be content with watching such a pandering movie filled with ridiculously blatant winks and nods to the audience. [/rant]

I don't see why non-Jedi wouldn't be able to use lightsabers. It's not like Finn was doing anything fancy with it, he was really just using it like a club/sword.

The years of training thing with respect to Rey does seem off, especially the whole mind trick part. The rest I can kinda chalk up to subconscious use like Luke in the trench or Anakin in the pod races. I suppose there could also be a reveal that Rey actually did have some training as a Jedi prior to Kylo destroying the organization Luke put together and all, which I've seen several speculative theories about.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:01 pm UTC

My understanding was that the force was much more focused on fewer people, which is why Rey is so powerful so quickly.
He/Him/His Image

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:49 pm UTC

HES wrote:My understanding was that the force was much more focused on fewer people, which is why Rey is so powerful so quickly.

Why would the force be more focused in the Ep 7 timeframe?

Liri

Postby Liri » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:47 pm UTC

Chen wrote:I don't see why non-Jedi wouldn't be able to use lightsabers. It's not like Finn was doing anything fancy with it, he was really just using it like a club/sword.

It might have been an EU Legends thing.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:50 pm UTC

Just got back from the theatre. I quite enjoyed it. Random observations beneath the fold.

Spoiler:
I don't remember seeing anything in the trailers that made it to the actual film.

It was interesting to see the rebellion portrayed in a more morally ambiguous light than usual. One thing I noticed is that all of the imperial senior officers speak with an RP accent as per usual...but so do all the rebellion senior officers. I'm not sure if that was intentional, but maybe it was a hint that they're Not So Different.

I didn't really care for Darth Vader's scene. It was an inconsequential scene, the voice sounded a bit off to me, and I've never thought of Darth as much given to Bond-villain style puns. It would have been more effective if his first appearance was right at the end.

Counsel Meetings are always terrible scenes in Star Wars movies and should be banned.

I misheard K2-SO as K2SO4, and now he's Potassium Sulfate to me forever.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:06 am UTC

k2so is by far the best droid in star wars.

Also this is the second time (after Doctor Strange) that I've found out during the movie that Mads Mikkelsen is in it, to my delight. I hope this keeps happening.
Am I gregnant

Liri

Postby Liri » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:10 am UTC

Weeks wrote:k2so is by far the best droid in star wars.

Also this is the second time (after Doctor Strange) that I've found out during the movie that Mads Mikkelsen is in it, to my delight. I hope this keeps happening.

KtwoS0 is what all the characters got to hear R2 saying. Which of course is what we all wanted. And it was Alan Tudyk, which is just berries and cream.

e: Ohhhhh dang I forgot he voiced Sonny in I, Robot!

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:02 am UTC

Watched it today. It was enjoyable enough, but the characters felt a bit flat. Also felt like there were way too many planets, especially in the beginning. One thing that hasn't been mentioned here yet:
Spoiler:
Blind Asian dude and his friend with the big gun - they're supposed to be lovers, right? Like, they treated each other exactly as lovers would have. I'm disappointed they didn't kiss during the death scene...

As for the CGI things mentioned, I went with my husband and three other friends, and they didn't even realize the CGI people were CGI. I guess it's noticeable if you look for it?
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:04 am UTC

Zohar wrote:Watched it today. It was enjoyable enough, but the characters felt a bit flat. Also felt like there were way too many planets, especially in the beginning. One thing that hasn't been mentioned here yet:
Spoiler:
Blind Asian dude and his friend with the big gun - they're supposed to be lovers, right? Like, they treated each other exactly as lovers would have. I'm disappointed they didn't kiss during the death scene...

As for the CGI things mentioned, I went with my husband and three other friends, and they didn't even realize the CGI people were CGI. I guess it's noticeable if you look for it?

That is NOT how you break into the Chinese media market.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:32 am UTC

I am one with my bro and my bro is with me.
Am I gregnant

natraj

Postby natraj » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:06 pm UTC

Spoiler:
i definitely also read chirrut and baze as lovers. the director has said that people can read into their relationship if they like but lbrh if one of them were a woman there would have been no ambiguity about their relationship.

everyone has such different reactions to the cg! to me it was SO extremely jarring i literally kept turning away from the screen during half of the cg exchanges because the uncanny valley was Way Too Uncanny and felt actively uncomfortable for me to watch.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:24 am UTC

It was pretty good for a sci-fi action flick. Definitely better than the standard fare in that regard, and not just because it could lean on the existing Star Wars worldbuilding and mythos. Also, it was really pretty, I really hope the franchise can keep that strong aesthetic sensibility through all the various releases we'll be getting going forward.

I made a big deal about how I thought Force Awakens was good because it made the Galaxy far, far away feel big and awesome again. Rogue One didn't really add anything new or cool to the setting like the previous entry did, but it did add a little bit of texture here and there and didn't commit the sin of making the universe feel small. No mean feat considering the restrictions placed on it.
Spoiler:
A bit of fridge-logic on my part, but the movie does seem to explain why Tarkin was willing to blow up peaceful Alderaan to demonstrate their new weapon. It wasn't just to spite Leia, Bail Organa had probably literally just given a speech there about how evil the Empire really was and how there would be no peace etc. For all we know, the whole planet was a few days into full on open revolt that Leia wouldn't have known about, being a prisoner the entire time.

Regarding the CG character, I didn't really have a problem with that. I mean, I could clearly see what was going on, but it didn't bother me. I did find the voice pretty jarring though, it seemed like they put so much effort into getting the face right, and then didn't even bother with the voice, except for the bits they lifted from the source.

Spoiler:
I did find digital Leia to be uncomfortably plasticy though. At least they got her voice right.

@Tyndmyr
Spoiler:
R2 and C3P0 are dicks, having known where the secret rebel base on Yavin was all along.

What makes them dicks for knowing that? Before they were stranded on Tatooine, the next stop for the Tantive IV after picking up Kenobi was Alderaan, not the base on Yavin. Before Scarif, it's likely that Yavin IV was about to be abandoned anyway.

The rebellion are dicks, for wanting to kill her father to "stop the superweapon" even though it said superweapon has already been demonstrated to be operational, uncomfortably close to them. Seriously, this whole subplot makes no GD sense as framed.

I dunno, when the general told Kassian the kill order was still on, he didn't know the weapon was operational, he'd only heard that Jedha had been destroyed, which he clearly didn't believe or know what to make of if he did, not by what.
Even if he had known the weapon was operational, he still might have thought killing Gaylan was a good idea, He would have had no idea that Erso had betrayed the Empire by building a flaw into the Death Star, and would have wanted to prevent him from potentially designing new weapons for the Empire.

Star destroyers hover over cities, now, I guess. It looked cool, but you'd think this would have been really handy in other situations.

I'm pretty sure we've seen hovering Star Destroyers in Rebels, not sure where it would have come up in any of the previous movies though.

Backpack laser machine guns apparently also provide ludicrous firepower, but will never be used again.

These we had seen used during the Clone Wars, pretty sure we've seen them used in Rebels too. Other than on Hoth, most of the storm troopers we see in the original trilogy are basically security forces and it makes sense that they'd only be equipped with carbines, and the Rebel troops likewise are lightly armed commandos. On Hoth, and I think on Tatooine, I remember seeing some heavier infantry weapons too, just not this specific one.

The ending makes Leia's introduction in Ep IV hella awkward. Claiming diplomatic immunity when you've been directly followed from a major battle is sort of odd, and the tone isn't at all consistent with how Leia's mission is portrayed there.

I like to think her claiming diplomatic immunity was a ballsy move totally in keeping with her character. Honestly, based on what we know of her and the mission she was on even from the original movie, I think her seeming sincere in that particular scene rather than sarcastic is what's sort of odd and inconsistent.

Shields, how the hell do they work?

Seriously, how do they work?

natraj wrote:
Spoiler:
i definitely also read chirrut and baze as lovers. the director has said that people can read into their relationship if they like but lbrh if one of them were a woman there would have been no ambiguity about their relationship.

Spoiler:
I dunno, they never kiss or say I love you or anything. Lots more people would probably assume they're lovers sure, but I'm not sure it would have actually been any less ambiguous had they been.
Last edited by EdgarJPublius on Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:30 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:27 am UTC

Spoiler:
Ugh, that answer is pretty obnoxious. I don't know, maybe there's contracting stuff and they are afraid of making stuff explicit for the Chinese market? But it's basically the same type of thing as "Dumbledore was gay all along!"

Not how I say my name

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:17 am UTC

Sex, sex, sex, that's all you think about. ;-)

For mine, Chirrut and Blaze were more like brothers.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:31 am UTC

No, I'm thinking about explicit representation of non-platonic relationships between people who are not a man and a woman. Does it bother you that Leia and Han are lovers? Do you consider that being "sex sex sex" as well? If not, then the problem's with you.

Not how I say my name

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”