Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Postby ahammel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:42 am UTC

Yay new good stuff on Canadian Netflix! I really enjoyed the first two episodes. I'm a big fan of the surreal vibe it has going on.

This isn't really a complaint, but it doesn't feel like it has much to do with the novels. Dirk's personality seems much more like the Eleventh Doctor than the Dirk I remember from the books. The whole set up with the
Spoiler:
exploding hammerhead shark murder, which Dirk investigates in advance on behalf of the victim
feels like something Douglas Adams might have written, but the
Spoiler:
Project Blackwing
stuff is very unlike the source material.

Edit: hey, I think I got married at the Webb Mansion.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Re: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Postby Isaac Hill » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:42 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:This isn't really a complaint, but it doesn't feel like it has much to do with the novels. Dirk's personality seems much more like the Eleventh Doctor than the Dirk I remember from the books.
It wouldn't be a Douglas Adams adaptation if it didn't widely differ from the source material. I've never seen Doctor Who; are you saying that TV Dirk seems whimsical while book Dirk was more cynical? That's the vibe I got. TV Dirk also seemed younger than I'd imagined book Dirk. I'd think of the TV series as a prequel if TV Dirk didn't mention book events in an early episode.

There's only one difference that actually bothered me, which was revealed in episode 7 or 8:
Spoiler:
The TV series uses a stable time loop, while the books used alternate timelines. I had a similar issue with the Bill & Ted comics, which used alternate timelines in place of the movies' stable time loops. I can enjoy a story using either, but prefer consistency since the time travel type can have such an impact on the plot.
Between this, "Over the Garden Wall", and "Wilfred", Elijah Wood seems to be making a career out of being reluctancly dragged along on fantasy adventures.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:08 pm UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:Between this, "Over the Garden Wall", and "Wilfred", Elijah Wood seems to be making a career out of being reluctancly dragged along on fantasy adventures.

Elijah Wood? Oh, I see, this isn't the Steven Mangan version of Dirk (Richard Boyd as side-kick) but a heretofor unknown-to-me new version... (Can't place Samuel Barnett's image in my mind. But sounds like a versatile actor1.)

Together with the radio adapatation, it's looking typically Adamsonian in its multi-version/multi-platform/multi-treatment nature. Film when? Starring... hmmm, who would be suitably different and maybe oddball as a choice... Nicholas Lindhurst, perhaps?

1 And the reference explicitly to the Eleventh Doctor (probably) makes more sense if you have seen Doctor Who, but refers to the Matt Smith incarnation, probably the most whimsical of the 'modern era' versions (though not exclusively... he's a bit like the jolly/dark (pre-millenial) Seventh, with a touch of Two, Four and Five, perhaps... All of which means nothing to you, of course. And would be argued against heavily by many Whovians, no doubt.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:37 pm UTC

It was really good.

I thought the book version did have a stable time loop? Maybe I'm misremembering
Spoiler:
the mystery of the couch was definitely there since the beginning.

Given that Dirk Gently started out as an unmade Doctor Who ep, it's not surprising it has a similar vibe.

I didn't really like the [spoilers for whole thing]
Spoiler:
Project Blackwing stuff, or the assassin - she super annoyed me. I liked her sidekick though, he was pretty great. My bf didn't like the fact that they made Dirk psychic though.

The pararibulitis was pretty ridiculous.

Things I loved [spoilers again for everything]
Spoiler:
Farah was awesome.

It's great when they have the cop figuring out that the dog is missing girl. I really loved that scene with him being really drunk and expounding his crazy theory, and getting him to graduate to 2 and 3 stage commands before he actually believed it. I couldn't believe that they killed him off at the end.

Webb/Spring's steampunk iron man suit when he comes to kill off the cult was hilarious.

'Watch out, he's got the shark'. Also, the fact that that kitten is still out in the woods somewhere.

The assassin's sidekick trying to gently break to her that maybe she wasn't supposed to kill Dirk while trying to cheer her up. He definitely got the hang of it before she did in some respects.

Soupspoon wrote: Oh, I see, this isn't the Steven Mangan version of Dirk

This version was also great, though very different in tone to the current version. I like both versions of Dirk though - they both pick up on different parts of him.

I do love myself well written time loops. I feel like this one was better than the Steven Mangan timeloop (mainly because that one didn't show much of the actual looping).

I look forward to season 2.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:49 pm UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:
ahammel wrote:This isn't really a complaint, but it doesn't feel like it has much to do with the novels. Dirk's personality seems much more like the Eleventh Doctor than the Dirk I remember from the books.
It wouldn't be a Douglas Adams adaptation if it didn't widely differ from the source material. I've never seen Doctor Who; are you saying that TV Dirk seems whimsical while book Dirk was more cynical? That's the vibe I got.
There's that, certainly, and also the Sam Barnett version is just generally a lot weirder than the novel version. Dirk was certainly a pretty unusual guy in the books, but I remember his eccentricity as mostly an act to put people off their guard. He could have a normal conversation if he felt like it. Barnett's Dirk seems to have no idea what makes other people tick.

Ep 5:
Spoiler:
HOLY SHIT KITTEN SHARK! DID NOT SEE THAT COMING!
He/Him/His/Alex

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:27 am UTC

Original novel had both a stable time-loop with the couch, and variant histories with the Rime. If you're looking for consistency in the handling of time-travel, you're looking at the wrong book...

CannedCourage

Postby CannedCourage » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:34 pm UTC

I really enjoyed this one! :D

Does the show take many liberties in adapting the books? Is the black wing subplot wholly original?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:38 am UTC

CannedCourage wrote:Does the show take many liberties in adapting the books?

Sounds like it. Of course, considering that it was originally written by Douglas Adams, doing a straight-up version would be borderline sacrilegious...

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:02 pm UTC

CannedCourage wrote:I really enjoyed this one! :D

Does the show take many liberties in adapting the books? Is the black wing subplot wholly original?

The entire plot is wholly original. The things taken from the books that I caught were Dirk's speech about holistic detection and a few throw away lines about a sofa and Thor.
He/Him/His/Alex

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:42 am UTC

With further episodes yet to run, expect these to be Chekhovian Firearms towards some later plot points towards the end of the run.

(I think the sofa-gag has to be a 'reveal', at least to newbies to the concept. I don't suppose anyone else wrote a 3D wireframe sofa simulator in BBC-BASIC (or similar), back in the '80s, for fun? Using my parental home's bent staircase as a frame of reference, even! Collision detection was the most interesting bit to work out...)

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”