La La Land

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

charliepanayi

La La Land

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:23 pm UTC

It's very enjoyable, bright, vibrant, funny (the one way street and car horn bits in particular), looks amazing, great songs, great acting from Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, and yet...even though we're only two weeks into January, I feel like I would be very surprised if this winds up being in my top ten films of the year come December. A few more random thoughts:

- All the rest of today's showings at the cinema I went to were sold out! Even though I didn't love it as much as some have I hope it carries on doing well, we could do with more original film successes to go alongside Arrival, Fences and Hidden Figures of late.
- I can see why the Academy are likely to eat this up with a big spoon, it's a throwback to 'classic' Hollywood and pokes fun at the film business, but not too much to upset the voters.
- There's been some people online who have criticised the film for having Ryan Gosling as a white saviour who 'saves' jazz. I don't know what film these people were watching but it sure as hell wasn't La La Land.
- There is something strange about a flat where Emma Stone is only the fourth best-looking resident.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

maybeagnostic

Re: La La Land

Postby maybeagnostic » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:29 am UTC

It was really good and I liked it but... well, I heard so many positive things about this movie before I saw it and it really raised my expectations. I think I would have liked it a lot more if I hadn't heard anything about it before seeing it.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

lamdean

Postby lamdean » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:18 pm UTC

"La La Land"

It was a really a good movie,very enjoyable.

Damien chazelle also won the golden globe award for direction.

juliahlitz

Postby juliahlitz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:55 pm UTC

Visually, La La Land was my favorite movie of the year. I loved the colors, the outfits and the production design. Overall, I liked the film but it didn't blow my mind. I also didn't love the music. Shouldn't there be a jazz song since he's a jazz performer? Overall, I'd give it an A-.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”