Get Out

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Get Out

Postby Zohar » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:14 pm UTC

Saw Get Out on Thursday. It was excellent, but it's hard for me to say I enjoyed it. I'm not a big fan of horror movies, but I'm glad I went, I supposed.

It's surprising it's Peele's first directorial effort, since it's really well done, and the cinematography is great. It's very much aware of horror movie tropes, and a lot funnier than I expected it to be. My guess is because it's just so disturbing, he wanted to give viewers time to unwind a bit.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Re: Get Out

Postby IcedT » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:46 am UTC

I enjoyed this movie so much I'm making my first post here in years to comment on it.

As a horror movie, it was extremely effective and well-crafted. And the racial commentary in it was much deeper and more multi-faceted than I was expecting. It was almost good enough to make me like the TSA.

The Great Hippo

Postby The Great Hippo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:58 pm UTC

I just saw this movie and it was pretty amazing as far as horror movies go; I don't think I've been that tense in a theater for a long while

Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:26 pm UTC

I've been chasing Mrs. Felstaff around the house, slowly stirring a cup of tea.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Re: Get Lost

Postby Weeks » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:50 pm UTC

I wanted to see this one, but I was busy at the time. I guess I'll just get out of this thread
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.
natraj wrote:i have a bizarre mental block against the very idea of people enjoying mint and chocolate together.

Postby pogrmman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:03 pm UTC

I saw this last night, and I quite enjoyed it. I had literally no idea what the movie was about — only the recommendation of a friend of my family. I thought it was well done. The acting, music, and cinematography did a really good job of making the tension palpable.

It was suprisingly funny too, for a horror movie. (Though I admittedly didn’t know it was a horror movie until the scene where Georgina is pouring the iced tea).

Postby freezeblade » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:18 pm UTC

I enjoyed this movie greatly. I will say that it made me hyper-aware of the fact that I am part of an interracial marriage, a few mixed race couples I know said the same, especially if they saw it in the theater. I actually enjoyed the movie even more on a re-watch, although it made me more uncomfortable the second time around.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Postby natraj » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:23 pm UTC

i can't remember which parts of the movie were funny. i keep thinking maybe i will watch it again but i remember the first time around being so viscerally tense and horrified the entire way through i'm not sure i could do that to myself again. maybe in a really well-lit room surrounded by friends, for the second time around. it was too intense for me when it was in theatres.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Postby Jorpho » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:45 am UTC

I was reminded of the bit Key & Peele did on Family Matters.

Postby Bloopy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:03 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I was reminded of the bit Key & Peele did on Family Matters.

:lol: :lol:

I liked Get Out, though not enough to want to see it again. The sudden switch from "haha what's going on" to "oh, so that's what's going on" was a bit sudden. I liked the ending though.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”