American gods

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

American gods

Postby plytho » Thu May 18, 2017 7:20 am UTC

I really enjoyed the book back when I read it and luckily that’s a sufficiently long time ago. There’s a certain amount of time needed between the first and second read of a book to make the second read enjoyable. Too soon and I remember too much and there’s a lack of rediscovery. I feel that amount of time has passed and I can enjoy the show like a good reread of the book. At least if it’s high quality (which I think it is after the first three episodes).

It’s wonderful to have Ian McShane back after deadwood, he’s doing a great job. I also like Ricky Whittle’s performance as shadow moon so far.
he him his

freezeblade

Re: American gods

Postby freezeblade » Thu May 18, 2017 4:30 pm UTC

Been loving this, especially the cinematography.

I'm no prude by any means, but I did get into a discussion with my wife about how it seems this show, even more so than GoT, is more explicit with sex scenes than I prefer in my regular TV consumption. I'm not saying it shouldn't be there, because it's an important part of the story (in the book as well), I just feel it could be done a bit more tastefully. We seem to linger quite a bit longer than necessary to drive plot, and I think pulling it back, just a tough, would actually be better for the show. giving more time to storyline.

When we were on episode 1, and there was the one long sex scene, I didn't notice it much because it was just one, it was more that in episode 3 there was two long scenes, which I just don't think needed to be quite as lingery.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Bane Harper

Postby Bane Harper » Fri May 19, 2017 10:33 am UTC

I heard that it's a great new show but haven't started to watch yet! I have to catch up :D

plytho

Postby plytho » Sun May 21, 2017 2:58 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:When we were on episode 1, and there was the one long sex scene, I didn't notice it much because it was just one, it was more that in episode 3 there was two long scenes, which I just don't think needed to be quite as lingery.

I just watched the third episode and only saw one sex scene. Did you perhaps watch episode 2 and 3 back to back? Because unless I've missed something there is
Spoiler:
a bilquis scene in ep1, another in ep2 and an ifrit scene in ep3.
To me it doesn't feel like too much, possibly because the previous one wasn't close in my mind.
he him his

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Mon May 22, 2017 3:48 pm UTC

We started watching this this weekend! Three eps in, loving it.
Read the book, but a while ago, long enough that I've forgotten entire characters, apparently (Mad Sweeney).

I'd forgotten they'd cast Gillian Anderson and didn't actually notice until I saw her name in the credits.

I like that they're adding new little, like, side vignettes, the 'coming to/somewhere in america' bits.
Spoiler:
I'm like 90% sure the Anansi and Anubis bits were new, anyway. They were both very good.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed May 24, 2017 5:12 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:it seems this show, even more so than GoT, is more explicit with sex scenes than I prefer
Is there anything other than the portrayal of penises that makes this more explicit than GoT?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed May 24, 2017 8:54 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
freezeblade wrote:it seems this show, even more so than GoT, is more explicit with sex scenes than I prefer
Is there anything other than the portrayal of penises that makes this more explicit than GoT?

Maybe it's just the setting being more modern than GoT cements it as more "explicit" in my mind? now that I thought about it a bit more, it's similar, although I still feel that this show made a point of them, as opposed to GoT which seemed more...incidental? Maybe the fact that this is fresh in my mind, and it's been awhile since I have seen a GoT episode, is distorting my perception.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:54 am UTC

I think the main difference is that in AG the sex is the story line, and they're not talking over it with sex-position.
Also, it's much less defined by the conventional, heterosexual gaze, and it's better.

I read the book five to ten years ago, and my memory is not that great. I remember most of the major pieces, but it kind of seems like two books I don't remember how they fit together.

Dang, it is a good time for t.v., and the story is working really well told episodically.

Who else wants to see Brian Fuller direct a Mortal Kombat game?
I would like to see more Mortal Kombat style K.O.'s with Brian Fuller's art direction

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu May 25, 2017 10:10 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I think the main difference is that in AG the sex is the story line, and they're not talking over it with sex-position.
Also, it's much less defined by the conventional, heterosexual gaze, and it's better.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking, but couldn't find the words for. A lot of the sex in GoT is sort of background and not really about the sex, while in AG, well, at least in the first three episodes, it is all about the sex.

Btw, when talking about explicit, that one scene
Spoiler:
where the salesman and the ifrit are in the desert and you see what's basically fire-ejaculate,
feels very explicit.
he him his

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:54 pm UTC

episode 6:
Spoiler:
I'm really enjoying the B Team. Laura's great, Mad Sweeney kind of sucks, Salim not Salim is adorable I love him.
The main plot is fine too.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:00 am UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:episode 6:
Spoiler:
I'm really enjoying the B Team.

I like them too, it gave some Good Omens feel to the episode.
Then episode 7 played out a lot like a Sandman story. ...those have two very different interpretations of Death as a character.

Episode 8 I felt sort of bad for laughing at
Spoiler:
all of the jesus's.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:30 am UTC

episode 8:
Spoiler:
I assume Media's guise is a specific cultural reference I'm not getting (all her other guises have been right?)
I mostly lurk. Hello.

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:42 am UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:episode 8:
Spoiler:
I assume Media's guise is a specific cultural reference I'm not getting (all her other guises have been right?)

Spoiler:
Apparently she's Hannah (Judy Garland) from Easter parade.
he him his

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:51 am UTC

thank you!
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”