The Dark Tower (2017)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

cephalopod9

The Dark Tower (2017)

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:36 am UTC

I don't know how I feel about this one!

It's scheduled for release in early August, and the casting is really good and it looks cool, but it's been in pre-production for ages and it's being made by Sony.

I'm going to ramble about it now

I'm 8,000% on board with Idris Elba as an Arthurian knight mixed with an American gunslinger and also everyone's dad. McConaughey works as Randall Flagg. Have you seen the Lincoln commercials?

Most everything else I know about movies tells me not to expect this to be a good movie. Steven King really isn't that cinematic. His writing is really vivid, and engrossing, but it's not really made of stuff that makes sense communicated just with sound and images. The producers and directors seem to all be people who make not-very-accurate adaptations of things. They also don't seem real eager to show this to people. They pushed back the release date to give it's place to Emoji the Movie, and they only jsut put out a trailer last month.

But, That trailer is really cool, and I want to see this movie.

LaserGuy

Re: The Dark Tower (2017)

Postby LaserGuy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:21 am UTC

FWIW, I would classify this, based on the trailer, as being very loosely inspired by the book series of the same name. I think it would be a stretch to call it an adaptation even.

I like the looks of it, and the feel of it seems okay. But it's one of those things where having less knowledge of the books is probably better.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:03 pm UTC

It's definitely a loose adaptation of a small part of a small part of the series. The movie might still do a good job o telling that small part of the story.

They're leaving out Eddie and Susannah completely, which is a let down. I mean, I think I'd much prefer they tell a different story well, than tell the original badly.

A while back, there was talk about a tv mini series, and I don't know what's happened with that. It's such a good time for compact television adaptations. oh my gosh. A Susannah and Eddie focused tv project could be really cool.

I got to see the trailer in an actual theater. While I had an alcohol before hand and might not have made the most accurate evaluation, I was pretty into it.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:19 pm UTC

Spoilery bits for stuff related to the books.

Spoiler:
My understanding is that it's not so much meant to be an adaptation of the entire series, but it's more meant to be a sort of prequel/sequel to the series.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:01 am UTC

I'm not completely certain, but from what I've gathered, I'm pretty sure it's
Spoiler:
Most of the first book, and then some of the mutanty, post apocalyptic weirdness from the end of the series. I don't know where it might end, but I think it's aiming for something between a summary of the whole series, and reboot of The Gunslinger
Either way I really hope it leads to a broader franchise.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:18 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I'm not completely certain, but from what I've gathered, I'm pretty sure it's
Spoiler:
Most of the first book, and then some of the mutanty, post apocalyptic weirdness from the end of the series. I don't know where it might end, but I think it's aiming for something between a summary of the whole series, and reboot of The Gunslinger
Either way I really hope it leads to a broader franchise.

Spoiler:
There are some slow mutants in the first book when Roland and Jake are going through the mountain on a hand cart, right before he drops Jake off the bridge.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:17 am UTC

That's true (dang, it has been a while since I read the books... and it looks like there were more books? and related, interconnected books I didn't read)
I guess it's probably going to have some of the later books just by virtue of the world being fleshed out in later on, and a little roughly sketched at the start.

dang, it's out next week.
I'm still wavering between excited for it and ... this movie is probably going to be bad.

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:00 am UTC

Be excited that it's going to be bad? I read the first four books back in the day and quite liked them but what I heard about the last few convinced me I never want to actually finish the series.

The really amazing thing about the first book is probably the style- that opening might just be my favorite opening scene of any book. If they manage to translate that into the right atmosphere its going to be really cool but the trailer didn't look anything like that.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:55 am UTC

maybeagnostic wrote:Be excited that it's going to be bad?

That works.

I went and saw the earliest showing at a smaller theater that puts good Birth. Movies. Death. content on before the movies.

It follows Jake as the main character, and mostly takes from the latter books. Also compresses it into something more generic, with the simplest language possible.

Mathew McConaughey hams it up in a pretty big way, and I like it. Idris Elba is fantastic, under utilized as almost always.

It's getting a lot of harsh criticism, which... I don't know what's setting expectation for this movie Sony forget they had until a week and a half before the release date. AV Club gives it a C+ which i think is above the median for Steven King adaptations.

Rosielukas

Postby Rosielukas » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 am UTC

i really loved the heart-warming acting of Idris Elba and Abbey Lee looks stunning :)
http://don't-use-your-signature-to-circumnavigate-link-spam-rules.ok/seriously.html

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:57 pm UTC

I liked it, while having not read the books.

Edit: Also there was a nice (if not subtle) reference to the Road.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:18 am UTC

Watched it yesterday. Have not read the books. Was good.
Idris Elba is great and I didn't even recognize Matthew McConaughey as the bad guy until someone pointed it out later (which is a good thing cause I usually can't stand him).
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:30 am UTC

One problem I had with it:

Spoiler:
All that graffiti about the Crimson King, but not one Bango Skank.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”