Xena: Warrior Princess (Lucy Lawless)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ginger

Xena: Warrior Princess (Lucy Lawless)

Postby Ginger » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:31 pm UTC

I LOVE THIS SHOW.

Spoiler:
Xena was so tragic and trouble. She use to be a ruthless, killing, war loving lady. And then she reforms and fights for goodness and light... and Gabrielle: Best Girl Friday ever. Callisto was a vicious woman that out to KILL her nemesis who burned down her village. Overall the themes of darkness finding the light/redemption, girl/girl power (and some implied lesbianism), Callisto's revenge arc made the show highly satisfying for a woman to watch.
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

rmsgrey

Re: Xena: Warrior Princess (Lucy Lawless)

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:29 pm UTC

I know something about Greek mythology and have some idea of the chronology of events, unlike the show's writers, so their blatant anachrony just rubs me the wrong way. Some of her adventures take place during the Trojan War (~1200 BC); others involve Julius Caesar and other early(ish) Roman Emperors (1st century BC-1st century AD). That's equivalent to someone hanging out with King Arthur (at Camelot), George Washington (during the American Revolutionary War) and Abraham Lincoln as though they were all contemporary.

It's just stunningly, staggeringly ignorant and incoherent. And that's before moving away from the Mediterranean region...

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:43 pm UTC

It's... a women's and girls' mythology show. Not a history show. And thanks for being the only comment on the thread as a negative one. Anyways, I get what you're saying, and in my opinion we should be accurate to real lore of the world. That said, I don't fault it too much, because Xena routinely fights a billions of Greek soldiers and kills them all single-handed by throwing her chakram a few times NOT REALISTIC whatsoever huh?
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:08 pm UTC

I watched the early seasons and while I've heard about the historical anachronisms of the later seasons, I give it a pass and kind of take it as a joke because the show is not that serious about itself. (In fact, wasn't there some episode or another featuring some kind of modern-day counterparts of Xena and Gabrielle? I forget how that went. Reincarnation or something? Vision of the future? The whole show was actually a dream and there's no such thing as a Vampire Slayer Warrior Princess?)

So long as they never had Xena flying or anything like that. Everybody knows, Xena can't fly. Only Lucy Lawless.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:10 pm UTC

Yes, there an episode where Xena wakes up in a therapist's office, none of her show was real and... Joxer is there for some reason? I believe that's the episode anyways.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:35 am UTC

I have kind of vague memories of it from when it originally aired, and I finalyl caught an episode on the Spanish language action movie channel.

Revisiting 90's genre fiction t.v. is real wild. Our television production values have improved so much, and our t.v. politics, largely, have not.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:25 pm UTC

Bruce Campbell is in it as the king of thieves. He, Sam Raimi, and Lucy Lawless are all friends. They have a new show now, Ash vs Evil Dead.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:24 am UTC

OH YES B. Campbell as the king of thieves he was so funny. And I've seen or heard anyways some of their new show. It seemed a lot like the one in the thread we're in now actually: Supernatural fighting drama. Except set in modern times?

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”