The Big Lebowski

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

pogrmman

The Big Lebowski

Postby pogrmman » Thu May 03, 2018 6:01 pm UTC

I know, I know, this isn’t a new movie. But, upon rewatching it again, I though it might be worth discussing here some. I’ve always enjoyed it, but it seems to get better upon rewatching. I’ve seen it maybe 5 times now, and I catch something new every time.

This last time, Donny caught my attention — I’d never noticed how he wears a different shirt with a different name on the front every time he shows up. None of those names are his. This has to be intentional. Probably something about how while both the Dude and Walter are confident and know who they are, Donny really doesn’t. I hadn’t really thought about that before. Heck, he probably hangs out with them just to give him some sense of belonging and knowing what he is.

One thing that’s always stuck out to me is
Spoiler:
the role reversal of the classic trope of “rich husband and wife who marries him for the money”.
That’s always cracked me up.

I like this movie for a lot of reasons — sure, it’s a funny movie, but it also makes some interesting commentaries on politics, media, and other stuff.

On another note, I’ve realized my friends and I are already turning into our dads (even though we’re only in college). We tend to watch “dad movies” together — The Big Lebowski, Blade Runner, The Blues Brothers, etc... Sometimes we’ll just sit around, not doing much of anything. Some of us are working on making a startup together. We listen to lots of similar music to our dads.

cephalopod9

Re: The Big Lebowski

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu May 03, 2018 11:41 pm UTC

the youtube channel WiseCrack has a pretty great analysis of it in their Earthling Cinemas series. It's got kind of a weird gimmick, and I can't remember if Wise Crack is one word or two.

It's been a while since I've seen the movie. It also feels like it's been a while since the Coen brothers had a solid hit.

charliepanayi

Re: The Big Lebowski

Postby charliepanayi » Fri May 04, 2018 6:59 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:the youtube channel WiseCrack has a pretty great analysis of it in their Earthling Cinemas series. It's got kind of a weird gimmick, and I can't remember if Wise Crack is one word or two.

It's been a while since I've seen the movie. It also feels like it's been a while since the Coen brothers had a solid hit.

Aside from True Grit and No Country for Old Men (which was buoyed by all the awards it won), the Coens never really have commercial hits.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”