Detective Pikachu- Not A Prank

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sardia

Detective Pikachu- Not A Prank

Postby sardia » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:30 pm UTC

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... wCQXvmgpoo
Apparently this isn't a joke and it's actually happening. My first thought is I thought Ryan Reynolds learned his lesson from Green lantern. My second thought is why oh why can't it be like Happy Time Murders, adult Muppets instead of this watered down white washed family film. That said, I'm intrigued at the concept of Pokemon with adult themes. My roommate got visibly angry at the trailer though.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Re: Detective Pikachu- Not A Prank

Postby Weeks » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:50 pm UTC

sardia wrote:My second thought is why oh why can't it be like Happy Time Murders, adult Muppets instead of this watered down white washed family film.
?? where does that sentiment come from? Why would a Pokemon film suddenly be "Deadpool, but with critters", instead of what it has continuously been for 20 years?

Anyway I saw the trailer and hearing Pikachu's voice was the funniest thing I've experienced in a while, it's great.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:52 pm UTC

I can't get the image out of my head of realistic, fuzzy, cute Pikachu going "Ughh" with the gruff surfbro voice of RYAN FUCKING REYNOLDS.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:36 pm UTC

It looks like it might actually be pretty good.

Also, I am pleasantly surprised that it looks like they're reverse whitewashing the game - in the game, the player character and many of the surrounding characters are plainly Caucasian, whereas in the trailer it looks like they've actually cast a bunch of people of different backgrounds (and in a way that makes a lot of sense, given that the story takes place in a location with fairly strong Central/South American stylings).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:23 pm UTC

Weeks wrote: where does that sentiment come from? Why would a Pokemon film suddenly be "Deadpool, but with critters", instead of what it has continuously been for 20 years?

Anyway I saw the trailer and hearing Pikachu's voice was the funniest thing I've experienced in a while, it's great.

It's a detective and there's a interrogation scene where violence is threatened. Combined with the realistic style and the murder mystery of the dad. Oh, and Ryan reynolds is totally not dead pooling this. am i really that far off?

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:02 pm UTC

I resent being made to think about what texture Jigglypuff is. Pink pokemon should be smooth lines and untextured. Anything else raises questions that I find unpleasant. My giant Clefable Pokemon Go walking buddy is delightful, Please Don't make me think about whether that's fur or skin!

I'm going back and forth on how I feel about how they're structured more like stuffed animals, and less like they have a skeletons, and muscular systems.

Cripes, this franchise has been going strong for such a long time.

I keep imagining this movie being made during a Gilligan Cut like "You're pitching a live action pokemon movie? like what? we're going to have human actors along side detailed 3-d renderings of these monsters? and what? are we going to have some American a-list actor make sarcastic quips as an adorable mouse critter? " side-swipe to the trailer premiere.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:58 pm UTC

I'll be honest, this is the most interested I've been in a film for a long time.
Not excited, not hopeful, but interested in a "identifying body parts after a catastrophic aeronautical crash can be interesting" way.
Could be fun.

Also, I think the furry Pikachu looks great, but I don't think the Charizard looked "monstrous" enough.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:34 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:Also, I am pleasantly surprised that it looks like they're reverse whitewashing the game - in the game, the player character and many of the surrounding characters are plainly Caucasian,

A lot of the characters are sorta generic and light skinned, but the series and game are from Japan and the characters are Japanese. There is a lot of Americanization in the translations, especially early on, back in the "just make up some puns, it's for kids, jelly donuts, whatever" days of regionalization. There's also not a lot to denote ethnicity in 160 x 144 pixels, and a default, :) , generic face is going to read differently to different audiences.

I do think it's neat the human protagonist... oh hey, he's the kid from The Get Down, i should finish watching that.
I think this a good one, pokemon has been purposefully universal and not especially culturally specific for a while.
But there's been kind of a lot of cases where an adaptation of something "making it more diverse" has meant taking something that was specifically Asian with a majority or entirely Asian cast and changing it to characters of different ethnicities, often with a plurality of white actors. Ghost in the Shell did that pretty bad, The Last Air Bender was real bad, Big Hero Six, I think, was a bit of that.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:02 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:but the series and game are from Japan and the characters are Japanese
This movie isn't based on the main series, it's based on the game Detective Pikachu, where the main character was called Tim Goodman like in the movie and looked like this. Of course it's disappointing that there hasn't been a live action movie based on the Japan-based games yet, but ConMan wasn't talking about those games.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
----

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:54 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:but the series and game are from Japan and the characters are Japanese
This movie isn't based on the main series, it's based on the game Detective Pikachu, where the main character was called Tim Goodman like in the movie and looked like this. Of course it's disappointing that there hasn't been a live action movie based on the Japan-based games yet, but ConMan wasn't talking about those games.

I forgot there was a specific Detective Pikachu game

Trying to put this stuff into context is weird as hell. ...like, why does Hans Christian Anderson's The Little Matchstick Girl keep showing up referenced in Anime? are there good subtitled versions of the original tv series?

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”