Heroes! (No spoiler tags for episodes already aired in US)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Nath

Re: Heroes! (No spoiler tags for episodes already aired in US)

Postby Nath » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I wonder if Ando's supercharge thing can temporarily restore abilities that Arthur stole? I like to think so because it means Hiro won't be useless in the next volume.

I hope not. This show doesn't do the whole time travel thing very well. Perhaps they could just make him an interesting, non-time-traveling character. With a sword.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

Yea, this might force him to fiddle with swordsmanship a bit more. I hope.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

But he does time-travel... the whole thing in the first season with EmoNurse and BadAssHiro in the subway.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:37 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:"Zap me, Mick! Zap me!"

This would be a good way to "fix" the time travel/teleport problem, while letting you use it once in a while. You force Hiro to need Ando for his powers. Make it "difficult to control", and then oops...DINOSAURS!
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:But he does time-travel... the whole thing in the first season with EmoNurse and BadAssHiro in the subway.

I remember that. I thought of it when Hiro's power got taken away by Arthur. Either there's a paradox that needs to be fixed, or Hiro somehow get his power back.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

That he was able to create a time loop shows with the paper being ripped in two shows that this Hiro is the right one for affecting the past to create the present anyway.

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:38 am UTC

Megatriorchis wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:But he does time-travel... the whole thing in the first season with EmoNurse and BadAssHiro in the subway.

I remember that. I thought of it when Hiro's power got taken away by Arthur. Either there's a paradox that needs to be fixed, or Hiro somehow get his power back.

...or they could explain it away with some mumbo jumbo about parallel timelines, and hope we don't think too hard about it.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:01 am UTC

Nath wrote:
Megatriorchis wrote:

...or they could explain it away with some mumbo jumbo about parallel timelines, and hope we don't think too hard about it.

If they do that, I will stop watching the show completely.

Also, here's a question: when the gov'ment rounds up all of the people with abilities, how will they contain people who have the power to teleport or go through walls? I doubt they'll be able to get the Haitian to help them with that. It's just unrealistic that they can lock everyone with abilities up together. This show has so many holes in it. It's like Swiss cheese. :|

I'm currently grieving Sylar's "death", by the way. :cry:
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:50 am UTC

That's not really a problem, both the company and Suresh had chemical means of power suppression.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

knight427
Worshipful Sycophant

Postby knight427 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:11 am UTC

Nath wrote:
Megatriorchis wrote:

I could be wrong here, but I think the future from which Hiro travels back to the subway from no longer exists...they saved the cheerleader and saved the world from that particular doom (which I think was Sylar as President, right?)...then they saved it from the virus...then from everyone being "super" causing the Earth to blow up. The point is, those futures which they have been trying to avoid have been avoided (for the most part) but new bad futures kept turning up. Now I think they are going to focus on the present, which requires time travelers to be dead or impotent.
knight427

If you GIVE a zombie a fish, you will feed him for minute.
If you TEACH a zombie to fish, he will be munching on you for hours.

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:28 am UTC

knight427 wrote:...then from everyone being "super" causing the Earth to blow up.

Another thing, incidentally, which they could have explained better. Did someone have an earth-destroying power?

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:42 am UTC

Y'know, they could also give Hiro PART of his powers back. A teleporting swordsman is STILL pretty damn badass, and would make him hella powerful, without necessarily putting him back into Godmode territory.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:59 am UTC

Another thing, incidentally, which they could have explained better. Did someone have an earth-destroying power?

I figured it was partially symbolic and their way of showing the Earth descended into a second Dark Age with total anarchy.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:32 am UTC

I took it as powers got into some really psychotic person's hands and he asploded the Earth.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:43 am UTC

ehh... the one thing about time travel that i want resolved is i want to know what happened to that irish girl left in the future where the shanti virus had full effect because that future no longer exists...
i know i'll prolly never be satisfied.

anyways decent episode. i hope sylar stays dead but they didn't completely disconnect his head from body before cremating him. i doubt that'll be why he comes back if he does.

i think ando could probably hurt people with his powers once he learnes to control it. kind of like electrifying thing.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:54 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:What a load of bollocks with that relativity thing and Daphne travelling through time. Going faster than light doesn't make you go backwards in time. It would make you go forwards in imaginary time (the gamma function would evaluate to an imaginary number). Which is nonsense.

I hate pseudo-science. :evil:

She wasn't merely going faster than light; she was going Just That Fast (TM).

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:00 am UTC

Maybe Ando finds someone with atomic / gravity powers, and they embrace, giving in to their sinful, lusting urges, and the flame of their love destroys existence?

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:44 am UTC

I was really hoping they would address it at some point in the season but I like how both peter and claire completely forgot about their girlfriend/boyfriend all of a sudden when they were so hung up on them at the end of season 2.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:47 am UTC

I thought they mentioned that someone had the power to create earthquakes? If that got out of control, I can see it might accidentally blow the world up.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

knight427
Worshipful Sycophant

Postby knight427 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I thought they mentioned that someone had the power to create earthquakes? If that got out of control, I can see it might accidentally blow the world up.

But earthquakes only involve the earth's crust, right? That's a fairly thin layer of the earth as a whole. It could certainly cause mass extinction of all life, but to blow up the planet, I think you would be talking about control of gravity.
knight427

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

Unless, you know, he was touched by someone who could make powers super strong. You know, I think there was someone with that power, I just can't remember who...
On the other hand, I don't remember anyone with earthquake powers. What about the void guy?
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

knight427
Worshipful Sycophant

Postby knight427 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:Unless, you know, he was touched by someone who could make powers super strong. You know, I think there was someone with that power, I just can't remember who...
On the other hand, I don't remember anyone with earthquake powers. What about the void guy?

I think that guy was busy zapping his BFF when the world was assploding though.
knight427

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:Unless, you know, he was touched by someone who could make powers super strong. You know, I think there was someone with that power, I just can't remember who...

Hmm, if the void guy made a permanent black hole in the Earth's core, that might have some fairly interesting results. I reckon he's still alive btw - if he can make portals into the void, he can just as easily make portals out of the void. I don't think he would want to destroy the world though.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

Assuming the void has air, pressure, sustenance, and the exact same fundamental physical laws as our Universe.

So who's waiting for Parkman's inevitable crotch-burn gag? "Yeah, sex with a speedster is... interesting."

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

I thought they mentioned that someone had the power to create earthquakes? If that got out of control, I can see it might accidentally blow the world up.

The level 5 escapee with the power over sound was going to have power of earthquakes via stomping, but they figured it would involve tearing up the floor and crap that would be too big a drain on the budget. Cut scenes in this episode mostly consisted of Sylar fighting level 5 escapees.

Where did the Haitian go? He said he was going after Sylar, then in the next episode, nothing. Did he just give up and go back to Haiti again?

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

He couldn't get into the building. Or something
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

Maybe Syler took his ability-killing ability? That would be a fun sneak for the next episode, if he really did dampen the marionette-guy.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Stabable Offense wrote:I was really hoping they would address it at some point in the season but I like how both peter and claire completely forgot about their girlfriend/boyfriend all of a sudden when they were so hung up on them at the end of season 2.

I feel like Claire's relationship kiiiiind of ended, but Peter completely forgot about Irish girl after she got stuck in the future.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Exotria

Postby Exotria » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

I was disappointed by the loss of Irish girl, but it seems like something they could get back to if they played their cards right. After all, they're revisiting the future from season one, albeit in a different way. Time travel might ruin some random events in the past, setting the Shanti virus back on track. Or some other contorted plotline. I can't imagine Daphne being responsible with time travel...

Also, now that I think of it, why didn't Daphne go back into her crippled state the last time the Haitian was around her back in the earlier episodes of the season?

(By the way, we'd all better hope that Ando and Peter never meet. He'll absorb every ability in the country. Speaking of which, if Peter takes Ando's ability, then he could very well be superpowering someone to destroy the world in the exploded earth future while Ando's busy.)
Elvish Pillager wrote:
niolosoiale wrote:So which side of the fence would you say I'm on? Why?

The confusing one. I think you should pick a different fence.

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

Or possibly peter might be able to use it on himself and ubercharge his own powers.

or sylar :twisted:

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:05 am UTC

oh BTW I loved hiro's reaction to pikachu.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:08 am UTC

Exotria wrote:
(By the way, we'd all better hope that Ando and Peter never meet. He'll absorb every ability in the country. Speaking of which, if Peter takes Ando's ability, then he could very well be superpowering someone to destroy the world in the exploded earth future while Ando's busy.)

I was under the impression Peter was kind of reset. I figure all he's got now is flying.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:12 am UTC

Yeah, he was reset... all he has is his power, and his brothers power, since they were close. He also might have blue-flamey-guy's power, since he was in the room.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:27 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Yeah, he was reset... all he has is his power, and his brothers power, since they were close. He also might have blue-flamey-guy's power, since he was in the room.

It won't be hard for him to get his powers back, anyway. I wonder if he can still pick up the powers of people who he knows who have lost theirs. I doubt it, but since Ando can jumpstart or maybe even give people powers, it could be possible.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:36 am UTC

They've reduced timetravel though, didn't you notice? Arthur = dead, hero = stripped, peter = whiped, pre-cog painters = dead

Although we still have ando supercharging speedy and ma patrelli's intuition (which seems very limited). And also I'm not sure if sylar can paint anymore?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Exotria

Postby Exotria » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:41 am UTC

What I was saying was that Ando meeting Peter would supercharge his power absorption. And it would be ridiculous.

Sylar could paint and blow up in the future, but we haven't figured out why.
Elvish Pillager wrote:
niolosoiale wrote:So which side of the fence would you say I'm on? Why?

The confusing one. I think you should pick a different fence.

knight427
Worshipful Sycophant

Postby knight427 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

Exotria wrote:Sylar could paint and blow up in the future, but we haven't figured out why.

But that future will no longer happen. I'm pretty sure Elle was Sylar's son's mother (dead). Sylar might be dead (prob not). He was attacked by Claire (no longer on heartless assassin path), Daphne (now a good guy/gal), and "fear guy" (dead).

Maybe your point was, how did Sylar have those powers if they get reset every time he gets hiss ass kicked...he could have picked those up from other people through empathy since he obviously turned good(ish) sometime during that now severed time line.
knight427

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

Arthur said Sylar could access the power of empathy, since it was related or the same as the power he already had, like with Matt discovering he could create illusions like Candice instead of just sending thoughts. Therefore, Sylar would have picked up every one of Arthur's abilities had he stuck around him longer.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”