Heroes! (No spoiler tags for episodes already aired in US)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Vanguard

Re: Heroes! (No spoiler tags for episodes already aired in US)

Postby Vanguard » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

Lumpy wrote:
Spoiler:
I really didn't think they'd introduce a cliffhanger about Sylar's parents without going forward with it and at least introducing them.

A very good point, actually. I wondered why they killed him off, too.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:09 am UTC

So is running commentary on the episode that's on right now fair game, or are people like tivoing it?

Spoiler:
cheese burning @ "What GPS implant?" "This one:"

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:05 am UTC

I'm not spoilering. Why was Peter hanging on for his life at the end? he can fly. HRG is a douche as usual. "The company", as opposed to Nathan's regime, was good in that it definitely tried to keep the dangerous ones locked up and just tracked all others i think. that was somewhat fair.
I'm already gonna say that the end of this season that would truly satisfy me is Nathan's extremely painful death.

also i wanna know who the masked guy was that flew out of the plane. (I'm going to say Sylar let them capture him so he is 'lost' with the rest of the people in the plane, might be a long shot but whatever.)
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:22 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:I'm not spoilering. Why was Peter hanging on for his life at the end? he can fly.
One of my friends was thinking* maybe he can only have one power at a time now, but I honestly don't know. :P

*He thought this out loud, I'm not telepathic, sadly

korora

Postby korora » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:03 am UTC

I liked the change to Peter: He has to touch people to gain their abilities now.

For what it's worth, I DVR Heroes but I know better than to check this thread in the hour between when Heroes starts and when I actually watch it.
Last.fm|Steam|Xbox LIVE|23||
[8:22pm] cf: you know what i like?
[8:23pm] Tigerlion: what do you like, CF?
[8:23pm] cf: you guys
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:37 pm UTC

sugarhyped wrote:I'm not spoilering. Why was Peter hanging on for his life at the end? he can fly
I figured it was a combination of things: 1) ability to fly or not, getting sucked out of an airplane would probably a pretty terrifying prospect, 2) he may have been so focused on staying with the other captives that he didn't really consider that if he got sucked out, he could just follow the plane.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

1) peter needed to fly out of the plane, get under it's belly, and use his super strength. Seriously, put a cape on and be done with it superboy.
2) I kept yelling "Touch Claire! Touch Claire! through the entire scene before peter accidentally froze off the door. I don't think he did the idiot.
3) I think the freezing power may block peter from touching other people and taking their powers. He'll just be strong flying freezing guy... kinda like iceman.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:18 pm UTC

mosc wrote:1) peter needed to fly out of the plane, get under it's belly, and use his super strength. Seriously, put a cape on and be done with it superboy.
2) I kept yelling "Touch Claire! Touch Claire! through the entire scene before peter accidentally froze off the door. I don't think he did the idiot.
3) I think the freezing power may block peter from touching other people and taking their powers. He'll just be strong flying freezing guy... kinda like iceman.

How would the freezing power prevent Peter from taking any more powers? He could touch the webbing without freezing it.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Ledah

Postby Ledah » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

Yeah, the easy way out would be flying out of the airplane and use newly acquired super strength to land it safely... but we're talking about Peter, so the best choice possible is not the one done obviouslly

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:37 pm UTC

I enjoyed the new episode a lot. My wife who hates heros thought it was good.
I didn't like.

1) Touch Claire DUDE!!! He should have been spam touching everyone there.

2) He had super STR, HTF did he get knocked back by some stupid guard. If you recall that army dude kicked him and he fell back and then 'broke' the plane.

3) The freeze power is a choice. The girl could control it, and I assume Peter can as well once he gets the hang of it. You don't have to get all technical about touching people without freezing them cause She could control it.

Ixtellor
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

I thought it was funny when Mohinder picked up Peter in the taxi. I liked the season 1 reference.

I predict that this will be a good season because it's a bit back to the premise of the first. Then again, I made the same prediction about the third season. While good; it was... odd.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:1) Touch Claire DUDE!!! He should have been spam touching everyone there.
Claire? Sure. But spam touching everyone? Peter doesn't have instant mastery. Picking up a crapload of unknown powers would be -bad-. What if one of them explodes? Or the guy who apparently generates salt-water. Or someone like Maya. Or someone like Elle. There's any number of powers that could kill everyone on the plane.

Also, he has super strength, but we have no idea how super. It was good enough for Mohinder to rip the door off a car. He didn't just bowl over the minivan. Carrying an airplane is almost certainly out of reach (at least it better be).

And yeah, super strength doesn't mean that he can take a hit without bracing properly and not get set on his ass. He may have a pretty considerable edge over most people, but he doesn't have any martial arts training that we know of, nor does he have a massive mass advantage.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:11 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:One of my friends was thinking* maybe he can only have one power at a time now, but I honestly don't know. :P

*He thought this out loud, I'm not telepathic, sadly

I kind of hope your friend is wrong... It is not like that is hard to keep track of, it just makes his power kinda lame and rogue-ish. Although what is cool is it is a slightly different power so maybe Hiro can get a power without it being time-travel.

edit* there might be an super-power injection saved somewhere. or he'll just try to be bruce wayne or something.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

korora

Postby korora » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

I think Peter's power change is more of a retcon to keep him from getting quite as overpowered than anything else. I doubt they're going to go with "the formula slightly alters your ability" unless it's convenient.
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:00 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:HRG is a douche as usual.

Hurr? Noah is usually my favorite character but my god is he being retarded or something? in the future that peter saw where the government was rounding up people with powers, noah was helping them stay underground and not get caught. something has to happen to make him switch schools of thought, i think.

edit - also, most of the people i've talked to agree that peter can only retain one power at a time, which is strengthened by when nathan asked him what he can do, and he said "What did you see me do last?"

korora

Postby korora » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:05 am UTC

aaron wrote:edit - also, most of the people i've talked to agree that peter can only retain one power at a time, which is strengthened by when nathan asked him what he can do, and he said "What did you see me do last?"
I think that was more of a way of saying "I haven't taken any powers since you last saw me". We'll find out next week, I guess, but I don't think he's monopowered now. Or rather, I see no reason to believe they made that change.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:02 am UTC

I liked how Peter finally was shown doing his normal job after about three years. What did he do for food all that time?

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:11 am UTC

korora wrote:
aaron wrote:edit - also, most of the people i've talked to agree that peter can only retain one power at a time, which is strengthened by when nathan asked him what he can do, and he said "What did you see me do last?"
I think that was more of a way of saying "I haven't taken any powers since you last saw me". We'll find out next week, I guess, but I don't think he's monopowered now. Or rather, I see no reason to believe they made that change.

I was hoping that peter said that to nathan because he knew what was going on because of claire and didn't want to give nathan's goons time to prepare for all his powers.

I'm really hoping that HRG isn't really on nathan's side and now has a small army in that plane willing to fight nathan.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:27 pm UTC

Stabable Offense wrote:I'm really hoping that HRG isn't really on nathan's side and now has a small army in that plane willing to fight nathan.
I'm guessing he is, at least for the time being, allied with Nathan, more or less. As much as I generally like Noah, he's not terribly complex. He tends to have just one motivation: keep his family (especially Claire) safe at all costs. I figure he's got a deal with Nathan to keep Claire out of it.

'Course, now that he's seen her on the plane, he may just assume she was captured with everyone else and think Nathan went back on the deal.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

Well Peter at least got nerfed in that he has to touch people to get their powers now. If he can only have one power at a time (and possibly for a limited time) it would probably be pretty good for the show's consistency overall too. Having him just keep acquiring powers makes it so that any "problem" that comes up has to be reacted to unrealistically for the show to keep its drama. The same kinda goes for Hiro's power. Having oodles of powers does seem to work for Sylar since he's usually the one CAUSING the problems which works well for drama (and that scene with him kicking ass was pretty impressive).

So I'm kinda wondering how that guard guy stopped ice girl's powers at the start. Did I miss some explanation of that? I am also kinda curious as to how easily they found Hiro and Sylar. Unless they have Molly or something tucked away somewhere working for them...

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

aaron wrote:

Hurr? Noah is usually my favorite character but my god is he being retarded or something? in the future that peter saw where the government was rounding up people with powers, noah was helping them stay underground and not get caught. something has to happen to make him switch schools of thought, i think.

My brother has a theory that they lied to HRG, promising Claire's safety for his service.

I was mad when I saw him working bad again but then I immediately thought, "That's what he DOES." That's what he did. It makes perfect sense that he'd help capture people.

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:
aaron wrote:

My brother has a theory that they lied to HRG, promising Claire's safety for his service.

I was mad when I saw him working bad again but then I immediately thought, "That's what he DOES." That's what he did. It makes perfect sense that he'd help capture people.

yeah, after some discussion with my friends we've all come to this conclusion as well, and nathan is the perfect person to try to promise claire's safety as he is her biological father and all.

i think the new villian they're introducing (the head of nathan's hit squad) is going to hurt claire somehow cause he doesn't understand the relationship between her/noah/nathan and that what's going to make noah turn. i also think he has powers. i just don't know what.

So I'm kinda wondering how that guard guy stopped ice girl's powers at the start. Did I miss some explanation of that?

oh! just read this! it might be his power :o

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

Yea, I guess it wasn't really a lie, as Nathan did [attempt] to let her go.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

I think that they were wearing special, HEAVILY insulated suits to protect them from her. It makes sense, seeing as how they knew who they were going up against, what they could do, etc.. I think that in GENERAL they're adapting each ambush to suit the target, hence why they needed Noah to have a good chance at taking down Spider-Suresh.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

Okay, now seriously, Peter can fly, fly out of the plane and land you douchebag, you are more likely to die IN the plane. Did anyone else notice this?
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:Okay, now seriously, Peter can fly, fly out of the plane and land you douchebag, you are more likely to die IN the plane. Did anyone else notice this?

As posted above its unclear if Peter actually keeps more than one power at a time. I mean after he froze the plane, and was hanging on for dear life, you'd think it'd be pretty easy to climb back up the rigging if he still had super strength no? Similarly the guard that knocked him around after he took freeze girl's power would probably have had a harder time if he still did have super strength. Of course the show could just be horribly inconsistent and he could in fact have all those powers and just be an idiot as usual...

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

Even if he can keep everything, Peter's a hero. He's entirely unwilling to abandon the group just to save himself.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:47 pm UTC

What about him and Suresh struggling to hold onto each other? At least one if not both of them have super strength.

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:11 am UTC

super strength can't stop slipping of fingers.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:12 am UTC

Sure it can. It's called digging your fingers into the other person's flimsy human-flesh.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:13 am UTC

I dislike how we jumped a few months again. Heroes writing staff: Doing a flashback is not mandatory.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

thatguy wrote:I dislike how we jumped a few months again. Heroes writing staff: Doing a flashback is not mandatory.

I think its more cause all the stuff that DID happen during those months was behind the scenes (mainly Nathan building his team stuff). While the whole flashback thing is a tad clichéd it does allow you to only see the important bits of the past instead of having to waste a lot of time with the day to day stuff that happens.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:59 pm UTC

In any event, it is pretty obvious exactly what happened in those months. I hope they don't do a flashback, just so they can keep the timeline of the story moving forward.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

I wonder if Peter's power allows him to take people's powers or just copy them because it shows some kind of energy flowing into him from them when he touches them which would suggest transfer but i dont think the writers wouldd give him a power that compromises other characters powers.

thoughts?

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

The writers have suggested that characters have the ability to "branch out" if they practice, so maybe.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

OMGOMGOMG I had no idea Heroes had started up again. Downloading now. :D

Curse my laziness. I have a TV but can't summon the willpower to go out and buy an aerial/aerial extension lead for it. Or a TV license. :oops:

Okay, looks like Peter can only use the power of the last person he touched. As soon as he touched Tracy, he lost the strength he got from Mohinder. Who was the orange suit we saw flying out the hole in the plane? Oh and plot hole: they said last season that the ability you acquired was determined by your DNA. Then by rights, Pete should have his original ability back. Unless his DNA somehow magically changed since his daddy gave him a hug.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

^ Thats why you should take all the 'explanations' in the show with a bucket of salt. First they said it was DNA, then they said it was adrenaline, then they said it can be injected in formula form. tbh they dont really NEED a definite explanation for thje powers, they can just twerk the original DNA explanation to fit the current plot needs.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:40 pm UTC

As far as I know, they only said this special mutated adrenaline was simply a necessary component for the ability, and that the nature of said ability was wholly determined by the DNA.

It riles me up when writers mess with their own canon for the sake of convenient (read: lazy) storytelling.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:As far as I know, they only said this special mutated adrenaline was simply a necessary component for the ability, and that the nature of said ability was wholly determined by the DNA.

this is correct. DNA dictates what ability you're able to use and adrenaline allows you to use it. Hence why when Claire's mom was injected with adrenaline, she couldn't control her powers - she didn't completely get new ones.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:10 am UTC

1) Peter can only keep one ability at a time. I think this was a good move by the writers. It's a much better explanation for Peter's not being totally broken than "he's an idiot."

2) I really hope Daphne isn't dead, because she's awesome. But seeing as the rebel group doesn't have her body, I can't think of any way that she could have survived. (The enemies are unlikely to give her medical care, right?)
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”