Heroes! (No spoiler tags for episodes already aired in US)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Re: Heroes: Here thar be spoilers (US Edition)

Postby Jesse » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:55 pm UTC

I need to dig out the quote the writer put out about the timeline, that explained exactly how that worked.

japanese_jew

Postby japanese_jew » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:36 am UTC

Okay, so I started watching Heroes because Masi Oka's character's last name is Nakamura, but I stayed because Masi Oka allegedly has an IQ of 180 and is fucking awesome to watch act.

You have no idea how pissed off I was when Sylar knocked Hiro out of the stopped time. I wanted to kill everyone. It was really very sad.

Anyway . . . what are the chances that Claire's new friend is linked to the company? Better than fifty? I'd say so. The thing with the Haitian was pretty obviously going to happen, but whatever. The whole preview with the hot twin making out action was really fucking creepy. And Nathan Petrelli with a beard? What? At least they didn't change the way Peter looks. The fangirls would have gone on strike and it would have been canceled.

So . . . they're showing that different people can have identical abilities. Wonderful. So it's very slightly different from x-men. More importantly, what was George Takei's ability? To neutralize abilities? I think so.

And to end my rambling post . . . Kevin Smith for the win! WOOHOO!

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:04 am UTC

Fuck. My DVR kicked off right at the end. Claire cut off her toe and ran outside... did anything happen after that?
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:46 am UTC

Nothing really, except she absolutely refused to look up. The fucking dog was looking up at West. Claire now qualifies for "most clueless protagonist evar".

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:20 am UTC

scowdich wrote:Nothing really, except she absolutely refused to look up. The fucking dog was looking up at West. Claire now qualifies for "most clueless protagonist evar".

Damnit, Big Al told me that dogs can't look up.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:35 am UTC

Big Al got that a little wrong. Actually, it's people with green eyes that can't see dogs.

reishka

Postby reishka » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:05 am UTC

scowdich wrote:Nothing really, except she absolutely refused to look up. The fucking dog was looking up at West. Claire now qualifies for "most clueless protagonist evar".

Aye. I wanted to throw a book at her just so she WOULD look up. Jeez.

Maybe we should make her a little trophy? Or is that too much?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:00 am UTC

Claire now qualifies for "most clueless protagonist evar".

No wai, Suresh is easily king of that title. Seriously, did you watch season one?

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:34 pm UTC

There was no Molly, and thus I was satisfied. Way better than the premier. Still not as interesting as last season though. I feel like the Bennet, Hatian, Parkman, Mohinder coalition is a little too sly though. So far everything they've done has been "oh, I've fallen for your act!...(hah HA! That's what I WANTED you to think!)"

Claire cutting off her toe was awesome. I'm not sure if alien-boy is with the company or not. Umm...other than that... Peter's like TOO ripped suddenly. Why should having super powers make him buff exactly? I think if I had his super powers my body would dwindle into complete uselessness. I could be one of those waif heroin-sheek models, and just push myself around with my super powers, too bad those were out lawed reccently. Nothing hotter than an chick with an Irish accent though. Boston's full of trashy Irish guys, so the accent's kind of lost it's luster on me. They don't do anything but work, drink and pick up chicks. They don't even really like decent music, and they certainly aren't geeks, though a enough of them have some sort of programing skills, they're just a means to an end. I digress.

I miss Mr. Issac. :-( But Mr. Muggles has been getting more screen time lately. I'm glad Claires family is still in one peice, unlike in "five years later." I wish Parkman and his wife could have worked it out, their story was really interesting. I'm a little affraid this season will focus way too much on action and not enough on characters.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

yellie

Postby yellie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:23 pm UTC

(Am not from America, but Internet let me watch the new season)

I can't take Peter's storyline seriously because of those stupid "Irish" characters. I mean seriously, no-one in Cork/most of Ireland actually talks like that. Just because you said boyo doesn't mean you're officially from Cork, mate. |: Aggh, Heroes, leave my country out of your special, "accurately depicted" reality.

Hiro's storyline just isn't interesting enough, which makes me feel awful, but I do love Claire's storyline. And Matt! I am actually interested in Matt for once.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:46 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:Peter's like TOO ripped suddenly. Why should having super powers make him buff exactly?

He gained Niki's super strength. Assuming that the strength power isn't based on some paranormal feat like telekinesis, his actual muscles would have to reflect that change. Even if the power affects the actual makeup of the muscles, it still makes sense that they'd be more dense.

Also, we don't know what happened to him in the past four months.

Question: Has Parkman ever met Hiro in the current timeline? I thought he did, but he seemed to have absolutely no recognition of the name Nakamura.
Crazy like a BOX!

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:17 pm UTC

I don't think Parkman ever met Hiro in the current storyline...

And as far as Suresh's cluelessness in season one, he made up for it (in my book) by out-thinking Sylar (and having the commitment to actually shoot him). That bit was pretty awesome.

I'm a little curious about what happened between Hiro and Kensei toward the end of last night's episode. Did Hiro just reverse time for Kensei's wound, or does Mr. Kensei have something he'd like to share with the class?

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:49 pm UTC

Kensei heals.
Crazy like a BOX!

trefusius

Postby trefusius » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:11 pm UTC

A couple of points, both Nathan related:

Nathan bumped into Ando while he was carrying the newspaper which ended up with Kaito's picture in it, and was around Angela when she found her picture and when she was attacked. If Nathan's not involved it's a nicely placed set of red herrings.

Also, he was haunted by a mirror image, which looked like him but had elements of his brother (assuming Peter was badly burnt by the whole exploding thing). Last season we saw Niki haunted by her mirror image, which looked like her but had elements of her sister. Niki had superpowers, so presumably her sister did too.

Conjecture: the mirror thing is a manifestation of a power that Jessica had, which continued to affect her sibling Niki. It was picked up by the mushroom of powers Peter, and now affects his sibling.

Or something.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:42 am UTC

Or perhaps Nathan was just grief-stricken and drunk enough to imagine he saw his disfigured brother, instead of himself, in the mirror.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:49 am UTC

So, my roommate and I are watching back through the first season, and I'm becoming more and more certain it was Sylar that killed Kaito. Same clothes, same stance, and the same method he used to try to kill Peter at homecoming: take a dive off a high place, use telekinesis to dampen the fall and repair any major wounds, walk away.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:55 am UTC

But how does that explain his line - "Of all of them, I never expected it would be you" (or whatever)? It certainly implies that whoever it was was one of the Council of Old Dudes, which Sylar wasn't. Besides, the two had never met. And Sylar would be a pretty likely person to suspect if you did know about him, so you wouldn't be all like "WTF SYLAR WHY ARE YOU KILLING PEOPLE WHERE DID WE GO WRONG LULZ?!" if he came running at ya.

I don't think it's Sylar. It's certainly reminiscent of Sylar though, so whoever it is will probably take Sylars place this season.

I think it's the same person who attacked Angela Petrelli - obviously they can teleport or something, since they both survived falling off a building and escaped the police station. I don't think Sylar could do what we saw whoever that was do - and I don't think he'd need to, he could've killed Angela in half the time it took the new villain to give her a couple of scratches.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:53 am UTC

obviously they can teleport or something, since they both survived falling off a building and escaped the police station.

Fwiw, Sylar's shown he can survive falls from high places, since it was how he tried to kill peter.

If I had to support the Sylar theory further, I'd assume he de-brained the invisible guy, thus explaining the police station thing. However, I can't remember if the invisible guy already died....

Anyway, it's been four months, and remember that all of the events in the first season happened in five weeks. Any number of things could have happened to Sylar in that time period, including being captured or employed by any number of people.

Or they could've filmed it to look like Sylar just for red-herring effect. Who the hell knows.

They/them

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:56 am UTC

But if Sylar wanted to kill her, he could have lopped her head off in a second. Whoever it was was just scratching and waving their arms around for a decent amount of time - much longer than it would have taken Sylar to kill anyone. She escaped with a few scratches.

Just doesn't reek of Sylar to me. But yeah, as I said, that figure did look similar, and was either there for dramatic parallelism or as a red herring.

trefusius

Postby trefusius » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:46 am UTC

Belial wrote:
obviously they can teleport or something, since they both survived falling off a building and escaped the police station.

Fwiw, Sylar's shown he can survive falls from high places, since it was how he tried to kill peter.

If I had to support the Sylar theory further, I'd assume he de-brained the invisible guy, thus explaining the police station thing. However, I can't remember if the invisible guy already died....

He hurt himself pretty badly in the fall with Peter - he was bleeding, limping, the people at Primatech had to patch him up. I don't think that shows that he could make the far larger fall with Kaito and not only survive but get away quickly.

The invisible guy wasn't shown dying, I suppose he could have died off-screen in the last 4 months, but I hope not because he's Christopher freaking Eccleston.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:33 pm UTC

He hurt himself pretty badly in the fall with Peter - he was bleeding, limping, the people at Primatech had to patch him up. I don't think that shows that he could make the far larger fall with Kaito and not only survive but get away quickly.

Ahh. I only just re-watched the homecoming episode last night, and it didn't show much of the aftermath. Thanks for filling in that detail.

Ahh well, scrap that theory.

They/them

Vekter
Now I am become Beth, the employer of squirrels

Postby Vekter » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:36 pm UTC

Could someone PM me with all the good details of Monday's episode? I had to work and my Tivo got filled up. D:
:lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:

SoapyHobo wrote:Where there's penis, there's Narsil

>:3

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:28 pm UTC

I was pissed that Kensei did not die. So. Freaking. Pissed. When he got shot I literally stood up, clapped, and cheered. Then he healed.

It does make a more interesting story however, and further tests Hiro. Does he have the strength to stand by and let a bad person take credit for his good deeds and steal the woman that he loves? All of this to create the hero that Kensei is destined to be?
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:36 pm UTC

yellie wrote:I can't take Peter's storyline seriously because of those stupid "Irish" characters. I mean seriously, no-one in Cork/most of Ireland actually talks like that. Just because you said boyo doesn't mean you're officially from Cork, mate. |: Aggh, Heroes, leave my country out of your special, "accurately depicted" reality.

THANK YOU. I'm American, and that still bugged the living shit out of me. Dear ABC casting directors: I know this is hard to believe, but real, live Irish people actually exist. And--hear me out now, I know this is scary--some of them are real actors and voice coaches, and can actually be hired to work for you! How amazing is that?!
You don't make them touch!

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:38 pm UTC

You may need to subtitle some of them, however.

While you're at it, please do the same for any texans you put on TV, just to be safe.

They/them

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:56 pm UTC

All I know is that the girl's Irish accent made me want to have sexy times with her. And unlike breasts, I don't care if the accent is fake.
Crazy like a BOX!

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:Does he have the strength to stand by and let a bad person take credit for his good deeds and steal the woman that he loves? All of this to create the hero that Kensei is destined to be?

He doesn't love her. He'll learn soon that they are half brother and sister because takai is both of their daddy's (he's a 400 year old master sword smith).

I think the person who killed him is actually the British hero from ancient japan. He heals really fast after death so he hugged Takai and threw them both off. It explains how he was not expected either.

Also, Takai's power must have something to do with swords. I agree with the "I need a sword to defend myself" being the reason for his demise. Superheros have weaknesses to. I guess his was not being very good without his sword (except for the no aging thing). I think you all are overlooking the obvious nature that the mark on those pictures is his mark.

I am a little puzzled by the attack in the police station though, maybe that blows my whole theory, maybe I'm just missing something.

Also that whole cutting off of the toe thing was kinda over my limit...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:53 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Also that whole cutting off of the toe thing was kinda over my limit...
I know. I've used the exact type of scissors Claire used, and my line of thought was 'Jeez, if you're going to cut off your toe, do it with a knife or something! Don't use those crappy ass-scissors!'
All is well. We are not like the others.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:26 am UTC

Girl™ wrote:
yellie wrote:I can't take Peter's storyline seriously because of those stupid "Irish" characters. I mean seriously, no-one in Cork/most of Ireland actually talks like that. Just because you said boyo doesn't mean you're officially from Cork, mate. |: Aggh, Heroes, leave my country out of your special, "accurately depicted" reality.

THANK YOU. I'm American, and that still bugged the living shit out of me. Dear ABC casting directors: I know this is hard to believe, but real, live Irish people actually exist. And--hear me out now, I know this is scary--some of them are real actors and voice coaches, and can actually be hired to work for you! How amazing is that?!

Agreed. I wasn't completely sure, but I was definitely thinking to myself that anyone raised in Ireland watching this is probably having a conniption fit.

The second episode was better. Maybe not as great again as the early episodes, but both parts where the Haitian shows up (first sick, then at the store) were fuck yeah moments for me, and I was very gratified when the "real" Kensei didn't just die leaving Hiro to replace him as was expected—no, SHOUTED by implication—suggesting that Kensei had a latent power, activated or awakened by his proximity to Hiro. Verdict: I will keep watching Heroes and hope they are yelled at enough by irate fans not to repeat their mistake when the next season finale rolls around.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:38 am UTC

My theory: Kensai is still alive. Possibly Kensai is Peter's dad. And Kensai killed Hiro Sr.

It was probably Mr. Invisible who attacked Peter's mom.

Kensai is possibly the first carrier of the "super gene", and his occasional descendants are most of the supers.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:42 am UTC

I figured it wasn't accurate. It sounded so stereotypical. The weird thing to me is that this show has SO MANY cultures in it that you'd think they'd actually try to depict them correctly. Were they inaccurate with the Japanese culture they showed too?
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

yellie

Postby yellie » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:

I figured it wasn't accurate. It sounded so stereotypical. The weird thing to me is that this show has SO MANY cultures in it that you'd think they'd actually try to depict them correctly. Were they inaccurate with the Japanese culture they showed too?

Yeah, exactly. Surely they could find some people from these countries they're depicting who could tell them if they're Doing It Wrong. But then, following season one's insightful teachings on race and gender, it is clearly part of this season's drive to educate us about different cultures using meaningful cultural ciphers.

Latin America = curanderas and smuggling people into the USA!
Ancient Japan = samurai and cherry blossoms!
Ireland = pubs and blackmarketry!

It's just... this Ireland subplot makes me faintly squirmy with discomfort, and apart from the hilariously obvious, I think it's because... well, gangland violence is... I'm not going to say it's tearing apart the nation or anything, but it's still a serious issue, and I'm not sure how cool I am with making something that is a real social problem here into a brief 'slumming it' plot device for an American character. Nor with using it as - thus far - shorthand for Ireland in general. It'd be nice if we could meet an Irish character who wasn't a criminal.

Gah, I think until Peter decides to feck off back to America on a ferry, this is going to be all I can think about when I sit down to watch Heroes. ):

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:01 am UTC

Were they inaccurate with the Japanese culture they showed too?

Well, they haven't really shown much modern Japanese culture, but if you mean the back-in-the-past stuff, then yeah of course that's wildly inaccurate. For one thing, any white people in Japan would be Dutch, not English. I don't mean they would probably be Dutch, I mean they would be Dutch or they would be shot. And when I say "shot", I mean, "shot with guns", because people weren't still running around with swords by that time. And, of course, they weren't speaking the same language as modern Japan.

Masi Oka writes all of Hiro's lines as he thinks they should be said, though, so the Japanese dialouge is better than most foreign speech tends to be in American television.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:18 pm UTC

Hero's (specifically peter) is falling into the professor x effect. Meaning, professor x is so powerful that he must be incapacitated in some way for the plot to continue. Otherwise he just swoops in and saves the day. I'm kind of hoping they kill off peter. Super-Super Hero's are common in comics but the plots they're involved in are so limiting.

Course, they haven't presented a real villain yet directly either so it's not like he'd have somebody to whip up on yet.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Lyra Ngalia

Postby Lyra Ngalia » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:48 am UTC

God, Candace/Michelle is DUMB. He KILLS PEOPLE FOR THEIR POWERS. What makes you think that Sylar wouldn't just eat your brains and take your stupid powers?

And was anyone else pained by the lameness of the West/Claire Superman scene or was it just me?

I wish Niki had died instead of DL.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path... Only I will remain.

marcmagus

Postby marcmagus » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:06 am UTC

Lyra Ngalia wrote:God, Candace/Michelle is DUMB. He KILLS PEOPLE FOR THEIR POWERS. What makes you think that Sylar wouldn't just eat your brains and take your stupid powers?

What makes you think any of that actually happened, rather than just being an illusion? (I hate illusion powers/dream sequences so much.)

For all we know, Sylar actually still has all his powers, but he's never actually seen out of Michelle's illusion, where they don't work.

I wish Niki had died instead of DL.

I agree completely!
Last edited by marcmagus on Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:07 am UTC

During the claire/west scene, girl muttered "I....I'm sorry...you're on the wrong show....smallville is over there"

So you weren't the only one

They/them

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:13 am UTC

Yes, several of us Cybervillains and non-fora-people watched together and also remarked on the Smallville-ness.

I hypothesize that the producers subscribe to the Star Trek Movies school of showbusiness and are intentionally making the odd-numbered episodes suck.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:41 am UTC

marcmagus wrote:What makes you think any of that actually happened, rather than just being an illusion? (I hate illusion powers/dream sequences so much.)

For all we know, Sylar actually still has all his powers, but he's never actually seen out of Michelle's illusion, where they don't work.

Candace would never let anyone see her as ugly and fat.
Crazy like a BOX!

marcmagus

Postby marcmagus » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:03 am UTC

Didn't she last season? Micah, I think? And wasn't within an illusion of the hotel room? (right before he tried to escape and the door led back into the room?)

It's been a while; I could be misremembering...

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”