Has anyone seen "The Big Bang Theory"?

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Is it actually funny?

There's no such thing as too many doses of geek humor!
38%
Heck Yeah it's funny.
35%
Maybe I'll turn it on once in a while.
11%
Only if there's nothing else on.
8%
You're on crack, PK.
8%

Total votes: 359

thatguy

Re: has anyone seen "the big bang theory"?

Postby thatguy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:48 pm UTC

thatguy wrote:But part of the show's appeal is the nerdiness. Not a single nerd worth his or her salt would've missed that, and it's related to Summer Glau. As the show stands, it really could've been any random hot girl. There was about 3 instances where there are references specifically to her. She was completely under-utilized, IMO.

They could've just as easily brought in any random girl and filled the Glau-specific references with "Why's she on a train?"/"Why're you on a train?"/Character quirkiness.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: has anyone seen "the big bang thory"?

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:You're a nerd and you've never watched Firefly? There is something contradictory about that.
...not really, no. There's gobs of reasons as to why a particular person, self-described nerd or not, would have not seen Firefly. Overhype, for one.
thatguy wrote:
thatguy wrote:But part of the show's appeal is the nerdiness. Not a single nerd worth his or her salt would've missed that, and it's related to Summer Glau. As the show stands, it really could've been any random hot girl. There was about 3 instances where there are references specifically to her. She was completely under-utilized, IMO.
They could've just as easily brought in any random girl and filled the Glau-specific references with "Why's she on a train?"/"Why're you on a train?"/Character quirkiness.
...remember. Sitcom. Sitcom. You're watching a Sitcom. A half-hour after this show ends, Two and a Half Men comes on.

I suppose what I'm saying is - You Are Not The Target Audience, So Why Are You Expecting The Show To Cater To Your Whims?

As far as Glau being underutilized - without having seen the episode, due to your complaints I can probably figure out a rough idea as to what happened. Just call Glau being there as You, the self-identifying nerd watching, being given a sly wink or a knowing nod on the side, not meant for the target audience at large.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:58 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:(Great explanation)

*sigh*... Yeah, I suppose.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:40 am UTC

I was opposed to watching the show for a good period of time because i felt it was going to be stupid but my friends finally got me to concede and watch it over a weekend. The first season was pretty funny and i thoroughly enjoyed a lot of the nerd jokes. However as the show wore on it switched form being a show making nerdy jokes (hehe spherical chickens in a vacuum) to a show that made jokes about nerds. I've already heard plenty of times that nerds cant get girls and guess what? its not funny.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:42 am UTC

I may have caught a mistake in some of their science--

Leonard is lactose-intolerant, meaning he can't eat things with lactose in them
Whenever a food with cheese is mentioned, Sheldon reminds us that Leonard can't eat it, because he's lactose-intolerant
But isn't it true that in the process of making cheese, all the lactose from the milk is actually dumped out?
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:10 am UTC

lu6cifer wrote:I may have caught a mistake in some of their science--

Leonard is lactose-intolerant, meaning he can't eat things with lactose in them
Whenever a food with cheese is mentioned, Sheldon reminds us that Leonard can't eat it, because he's lactose-intolerant
But isn't it true that in the process of making cheese, all the lactose from the milk is actually dumped out?

In TV, allergies run on the Rule of Funny.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:01 am UTC

According to this:
There are different degrees of lactose intolerance and it varies from person to person. Some people with lactose intolerance can consume lots of dairy products before experiencing any discomfort. Others with more severe lactose intolerance experience distress after eating one bite of a product containing dairy. You should experiment with foods if you suspect you are lactose intolerant and determine your own intolerance.

So how does cheese fit into a diet of a person who is lactose intolerant? Interestingly, as cheese ages, the lactose contained in the cheese is gradually transformed into lactic acid, and lactic acid causes no distress in people who suffer from lactose intolerance. The longer a cheese is aged, the less lactose it contains. Therefore some lactose intolerant people will have no trouble (and some will have less trouble) eating aged cheeses.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Bananna

The Big Bang Theory - Summer Glau

Postby Bananna » Thu May 07, 2009 8:55 pm UTC

I just had to post - is anyone else watching The Big Bang Theory? With Summer Glau!
What a coincidence with the current thread! lol

Beacons!

Re: The Big Bang Theory - Summer Glau

Postby Beacons! » Thu May 07, 2009 8:58 pm UTC

Yup, just saw it. Cringe central, but the moon pie stuff was pretty funny.
"Woof!", explained the dog

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu May 07, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

"Non alchoholic beer..."

:D

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Fri May 08, 2009 1:21 am UTC

It's a cute show. I watch it when I remember it's on. But it's not one of the shows I would go out of my way to watch.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

Emily St Aubert

Postby Emily St Aubert » Fri May 08, 2009 8:25 pm UTC

I love TBBT very much. Is it only me that has a tiny crush on Sheldon? I think it's something to do with their attempts to make him seem asexual. But he's very cute.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat May 09, 2009 4:48 am UTC

I'm fond of Sheldon, but I think that's more because he reminds me of me :mrgreen:

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Sat May 09, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

I do enjoy TBBT a lot, but I think if I knew Sheldon in real life it wouldn't take long before I punched him out.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun May 10, 2009 1:31 pm UTC

Hehe, no-one's punched me yet. Well, not since I was five or so :P

I don't have everything in common with Sheldon. I'm more accommodating, less intelligent and married, for a start :wink: But I identify with a lot of the problems he has trying to fit into the world. Eg, the non-optional social convention of gift exchange causes me a bunch of angst half a dozen times per year, my husband often holds up an invisible Sarcasm sign for my benefit, and I consider it a spoiler if someone tells me a bike race is awesome before I've watched it :mrgreen:

We'll be watching an episode, Sheldon will start ranting about something the humans do, and I'll be all like, "See!", and sheol is like, "Yes, dear"...

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Mon May 11, 2009 11:43 am UTC

I've only seen one episode and it sucked with a capital x! From different people I've been told it gets better/worse :?. Based on the episode and clips I've seen they spend far too long ripping on nerds, which gets old in 5 minutes (as a nerd I don't mind that thier ripping on nerds, but they're simply not very funny), the characters are all very bland (the girl from 8 simple rules basically plays the same character again) and although a couple of the geeks are likable too many of the main characters are not particularly likable, leaving me pretty ambivilent as to weather they achieve their goal for the episode.

I waited a couple of days to post this because i couldn't think of any actual geek programs
Spaced -> A continuous flow of geek references (2000 geeks though so no firefly), mixed in with a bizarre plot, likable characters and no god damn laughter track. (it's made by the guys who made shaun of the dead & hot fuzz). If you were a geek circa 2000A.D you'll love it.
The IT crowd -> 2 geeks working in a room that is literal crammed full of geek stuff (you can ignore the actors when their in their office and just look at the posters/gadgets for five minutes. These geeks are both likable and completely rubbish in social situations (one still lives at home with his mum, which causes enough jokes without just ripping on him). The plots are slightly less bizarre but often involve IT

Spaced clip more bizare than this (does anybody have a link to jen's speech) Both links may fail because youtube won't let me check them!
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Mon May 11, 2009 11:51 am UTC

Heh, I'm currently downloading the first 17 episodes of the first series from a dvd onto my phone.
Although its annoying that Australian tv once again ditched it without reason or warning.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Tue May 12, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

Xbehave wrote:Spaced -> A continuous flow of geek references (2000 geeks though so no firefly), mixed in with a bizarre plot, likable characters and no god damn laughter track. (it's made by the guys who made shaun of the dead & hot fuzz). If you were a geek circa 2000A.D you'll love it.
The IT crowd -> 2 geeks working in a room that is literal crammed full of geek stuff (you can ignore the actors when their in their office and just look at the posters/gadgets for five minutes. These geeks are both likable and completely rubbish in social situations (one still lives at home with his mum, which causes enough jokes without just ripping on him). The plots are slightly less bizarre but often involve IT

I have both those shows and i must admit they are a lot better than BBT. But they are british which is probably why they pull it off better. Jen talking about the internet made me literally laugh out loud by myself on my computer. I say that because lol means nothing nowadays...
I'm gonna check if there is a thread for the IT crowd now..
anyways i liked the finale of TBBT just to say something about that.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Wed May 13, 2009 1:34 pm UTC

Was the ice-station episode the series finale? That's a shame, but at least this season has been much stronger than the first on all accounts IMO. Hopefully series 3 will continue the trend. And I hope they do a follow up to this one, maybe start the next one when they get back or even do a whole episode stuck in the cabin, that'd be good.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

estheral

Postby estheral » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:56 am UTC

Hi all - I just wanted to add my two cents:

I was very sceptical about Big Bang Theory from the advertisements I had seen, but I gave it a chance and after a few episodes I really fell in love with it.

No, it's not high science, and whilst my first thought was a comparison with XKCD, it's more about the humour than the intelligence. It's a very easy to watch show, and whilst some parts make me cringe, most of it makes me smile. All in all, it's just a pleasant show which I find much more watchable than the usual mainstream slop.

I especially like the way they will poke gentle fun at each other and Sheldon, which reminds me of my husband and I teasing each other geekily but happily. There's a little bit of Aspy in most geeky people and it's lovely to watch people on television trying to negotiate the normal world and over-thinking things just like I do, rather than the same old pretty people with their same-old relationship issues.

I get far more freaked out by having to talk to a salesperson or receptionist (or choosing a gift!) than I do on a date! (probably because I love all my friends, and I've only ever dated people I knew well before hand...but sales person = new = scary!!)

Anyway - more importantly it made me miss University. The collegiate atmosphere etc. Even though I have worked in IT at a fortune 500 company for 4 years since finishing Uni and have been challenged etc, I was really inspired to get my Masters studies moving and more.

On that whim, I put in a job application for the CSIRO without any thought that I might get even an interview and guess what! I got the job!!

So now I will be a real-live scientist, and it's partially thanks to BBT. I even watched episodes as rewards to keep me in focus whilst I studied day and night for my job interview and the 20 minute presentation I had to give.

I'm glad to see others are fans of the show, and it's nice to be able to share my news with people who understand how awesome the CSIRO is! (Hehe, unlike most my family-in-law who don't know what it is. Fail.)

Cheers,
Estheral

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:32 am UTC

That's great :) I hope you have more fun in your new job.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:22 am UTC

CSIRO rocks hard :) Congrats on your job and on discovering BBT!

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:58 am UTC

This show was seriously suck and now I hate to admit it, but it seems to actually GET it. I am amused, and there is geekery...my indy cred is being co-opted by the consumerist society. Soon I'll cease to be an individual...What then!?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

You can always learn Warhammer.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:58 pm UTC

Sometimes I feel that way, but then I take pride in getting jokes that I know the other people in the room aren't getting--like the joke behind Sheldon worshiping Wesley Crusher.

Well. You heard him.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

Worshiping?

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Worshiping?

That's not the right word. Idolizing, maybe. (When he was a kid, not at the time the episode aired.)

Well. You heard him.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:45 am UTC

I just realized, this show never has subplots in season one. It always follows one singular plot in a straight line.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:34 pm UTC

The show's not FOR nerds, it's about nerds.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

mystic_aura

Postby mystic_aura » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:31 am UTC

I think the show is awesome and I really enjoy watching it.
Spoiler:
Sheldon's character develops more during the 2nd season ^ ^!
'I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself king of infinite space.' - Hamlet

adanedhel728

Postby adanedhel728 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

I've seen a few episodes. It's pretty funny. I learned about it from my school friends. I've got about 20 episodes recorded onto my harddrive, but haven't gotten around to watching them.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:44 am UTC

I started watching the pilot episode and had to stop after 15 minutes because the awkwardness got to me... but I'll give other episodes a try sometime.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:16 pm UTC

Thing you always have to remember about Pilots is that the Pilot is what the show was before the Studio agreed to pick it up. In those agreements, there's always always always something in there along the lines of "Looks good, looks good.. we'll take it.. provided you replace her with someone with bigger tits, make this guy more over-the-top awkward, and add a wacky neighbor/ditch the wacky roommate."

This, of course, is a show that's in it's 3rd season, so character development/flanderization has already happened. The characters you're getting to know are, while not radically different, different from what they are now.

So, yeah.. wait until you watch whatever's after the Pilot.

Kefka

Postby Kefka » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:21 am UTC

I wanted to hate this show.
i watched all the episodes in three days.
=D

Dr. Awesome

Postby Dr. Awesome » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:52 am UTC

Kefka wrote:I wanted to hate this show.
i watched all the episodes in three days.
=D

Hahaha, I did the exact same thing almost. Except in 4 days. One of my favorite things was his Cylon toaster. God, I love it.
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'."

ItWasWorthIt - IWWI

Kefka

Postby Kefka » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:54 am UTC

Reason why I watch it:
Half - "geek" references and most of the cast
Other half - Kaley Cuoco

Habz

Re: Has anyone seen "The Big Bang Theory"?

Postby Habz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:34 pm UTC

Oh boy... Sheldon pronouncing finnish was sure giggleworthy :D

LeroyBrandybuck

Postby LeroyBrandybuck » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:22 am UTC

I was lucky enough to receive the first two seasons on DVD over the holidays and I have watched all the episodes. I tend not to watch TV because a lot of the shows really don't interest me (although Community is good), but I think Big Bang Theory is great. I'm going to watch til the third season is out on DVD before watching it because I find it more enjoyable when I can watch five episodes in a sitting. I can't wait to watch the third season!
"Large things are made from small things. Significance is cumulative, but not always obvious." - Jim Butcher, Academ's Fury

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:53 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You can always learn Warhammer.

WARMACHINE would help more.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:56 am UTC

When the episode was nearing the end, I was hoping that Sheldon would get some. I think it would've been funnier.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”