Has anyone seen "The Big Bang Theory"?

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Is it actually funny?

There's no such thing as too many doses of geek humor!
38%
Heck Yeah it's funny.
35%
Maybe I'll turn it on once in a while.
11%
Only if there's nothing else on.
8%
You're on crack, PK.
8%

Total votes : 354

Re: Has anyone seen "The Big Bang Theory"?

Postby folkhero » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:16 am UTC

Did the ball-pit remind anyone else of xkcd? Bazinga!
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...
folkhero

Postby Balsamic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:12 am UTC

Haha, it was the first thing I thought of I must admit.
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray wrote:I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
Balsamic

Postby ViennaMike » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:52 pm UTC

Me too! It came to mind immediately.
ViennaMike

Postby sanguine » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:47 pm UTC

Same here! I wonder whether it was a reference. Wouldn't be surprised if it was.
"Oh, no. We're not trapped in here with them. They're trapped in here with Jenkins." "What's a Jenkins?" "Jenkins is... well, he's on our side. You'll come to appreciate that."
sanguine

Postby keozen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:44 am UTC

coughcough
bazinga.JPG
bazinga.JPG (9.19 KiB) Viewed 16081 times
keozen
I posted in the custom title thread and all I got was this lousy placeholder.

Postby Rockberry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:49 pm UTC

Yeah, I love it.
Rockberry

Postby Amarantha » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:07 am UTC

keozen wrote:(awesome comic edit)
Oh me yarm genius! <3

As soon as the ball pit appeared, I said, "If either of those blokes puts on a robe or wizard hat, I just might die of laughter." Then as the scene carried on, I nearly did die of laughter*.

* For values of "die" which involve severe asthmatic coughing fits.
Amarantha

The Big Bang Theory

Postby BookBabe » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

I find this show to be the perfect medium between intelligence and stupidity. There are jokes that please both the physicist and jokes that please the immature high school student. It puts them together in such a way that the average person such as myself and the beautiful mind genius person, my boyfriend, can enjoy the same humor.

I am aware that there are some mistakes in the show's science. (At least one because my boyfriend pointed it out). But from what I can tell the science is legit and very informative. I DO know that the producer checks his science when he uses it.

If you have anything to add, or find something wrong with my view: please, tell me. I'm not putting this here because I have nowhere else to put it. If anyone else likes/dislikes the show, tell me about it!

It airs on CBS on Mondays at 9:30/8:30c
BookBabe

Postby dardarness » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:37 pm UTC

Is it just me or is this show becoming weaker? :cry: I am disappoint. I really loved the first two seasons.
dardarness

Postby -.Mateo.- » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

What I love about this show is that I get jokes that other people don't (flatland is one of the best examples). In the regular jokes, I don't understand half the "celebrity jokes" (it was so awful not knowing who Marisa Tomei was on Seinfeld)...
Still, I'm not a huge fan of the show, I just like to watch it some times.
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.
-.Mateo.-

Postby Vieto » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:54 am UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:What I love about this show is that I get jokes that other people don't (flatland is one of the best examples). In the regular jokes, I don't understand half the "celebrity jokes" (it was so awful not knowing who Marisa Tomei was on Seinfeld)...
Still, I'm not a huge fan of the show, I just like to watch it some times.

Marisa who?

speaking of which, I thought I saw a Romulan.
a.k.a. Cazador
Vieto

Postby mercuryseven » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:28 am UTC

dardarness wrote:Is it just me or is this show becoming weaker? :cry: I am disappoint. I really loved the first two seasons.

I'm beginning to feel the same way too. The plots and stories seem to be too focused on Sheldon's quirkiness too much - I enjoyed it at first, but the novelty is beginning to wear off (ducks and hides). It's because I think I've seen too much of him until I could almost predict his actions, which makes things less funny.

I would love to see more plots with Leonard, Raj and Howard - who, despite their weaknesses, are very likeable people. Of course, I love to see more Penny, but that goes without saying 8)
mercuryseven

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

As most of the humor in this show revolves around the complete lack of social skills in physicists, and I'm surrounded with physicists with various degrees of social skill-impairment most of the time, it fails to amuse me.
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Postby Sprocket » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

I don't know, I like it best when I'm sitting there going "Oh me yarm I KNOW that guy!"
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Amarantha » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:11 am UTC

It's also awesome when you are that guy :mrgreen:
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.
Amarantha

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:It's also awesome when you are that guy :mrgreen:

I get "Wow. You're just like Sheldon" when I tell people I study physics. I find it hard to take it as a compliment.
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Postby mercuryseven » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:33 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Amarantha wrote:It's also awesome when you are that guy :mrgreen:

I get "Wow. You're just like Sheldon" when I tell people I study physics. I find it hard to take it as a compliment.

Me too. I had a non-physicist friend who is a BBT fan, and when he found out I study physics, he asked me all sorts of questions about life of physicists. I think I disappointed him.
mercuryseven

Postby psyEDk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:49 am UTC

It took me a LONNNNG time to get into this series.
My girlfriend loves it so naturally she would always tune in and watch it if i was over and it happened to be on.
I've never been a huge science or math nerd so i must admit the bulk of some of the more theory/equation driven jokes go over my head, but it's slowly but surely worked its way into my ever evolving list of best shows of all time :D
psy/OPs :.
Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter
¯ Project 2501
psyEDk

Postby Ah! Real Raptors! » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:59 am UTC

Haha the title of this thread seems ludicrous! As if the kind of people who really enjoy xkcd wouldn't have tuned into a show about physicists =P
I love it. Though yes, quite disappointing when no one in my physics class is quite the same as Sheldon.
Ah! Real Raptors!

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 01, 2010 2:43 am UTC

Seeing as it was started shortly after the series started... three years ago... no, it's not a ludicrous title. And there's been no reason to change it so far.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby originalthought » Mon May 24, 2010 3:26 am UTC

Did anyone else watch the "Plimpton Stimulation" and notice that in Sheldon's emergency supplies he has a crossbow. I refuse to believe that that is a coincidence with http://xkcd.com/564/.
originalthought

Postby Ulc » Tue May 25, 2010 9:22 am UTC

Ah! Real Raptors! wrote:Haha the title of this thread seems ludicrous! As if the kind of people who really enjoy xkcd wouldn't have tuned into a show about physicists =P
I love it. Though yes, quite disappointing when no one in my physics class is quite the same as Sheldon.

I've seen 10 minutes of it roughly, and would rather sit and stare at the wall than watch it again.

Mind you, that is mostly because a really intense hatred for all false laugh tracks in sitcoms - and the one used in BBT is worse than usual.

(Yes I admit, I read this thread mostly because I was curious what the show was really about, other than a false laugh track that temps me to throw the heaviest object within reach after the tv)
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?
Ulc

Postby No301 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:55 am UTC

originalthought wrote:Did anyone else watch the "Plimpton Stimulation" and notice that in Sheldon's emergency supplies he has a crossbow. I refuse to believe that that is a coincidence with http://xkcd.com/564/.

Yes i did think of that comic when i head about the crossbow, a friend of mine at school and I were discussing the relation after that episode aired
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled
No301

Postby jewelford82 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:08 am UTC

My fiance has a series recording set up on our DVR. I have tried to watch this show multiple times. I ...just...don't...get...it
jewelford82

Postby sarahthegeek » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:27 am UTC

Ulc wrote:
Ah! Real Raptors! wrote:Haha the title of this thread seems ludicrous! As if the kind of people who really enjoy xkcd wouldn't have tuned into a show about physicists =P

I've seen 10 minutes of it roughly, and would rather sit and stare at the wall than watch it again.

Mind you, that is mostly because a really intense hatred for all false laugh tracks in sitcoms - and the one used in BBT is worse than usual.

(Yes I admit, I read this thread mostly because I was curious what the show was really about, other than a false laugh track that temps me to throw the heaviest object within reach after the tv)

Nope, that's actually a real live audience sitting there. The DVD for the second season has a blooper reel and the audience is just as active then. If it were a laugh track, it wouldn't be present on the blooper reel. And you can also pick out weird individual laughs and voices occasionally, which you can't do on a laugh track (at least not the laugh tracks I've heard).

Youtube link because it actually is pretty funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLSD3AGLqME
sarahthegeek

Postby t-note » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:29 pm UTC

originalthought wrote:Did anyone else watch the "Plimpton Stimulation" and notice that in Sheldon's emergency supplies he has a crossbow. I refuse to believe that that is a coincidence with http://xkcd.com/564/.

My goddess! you're right! I saw that episode. ROFLMAO! :lol:
t-note

Postby Durinthal » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:29 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:

The show's creator always puts up a vanity card at the end of the credits for each episode. Here's one of them.
Durinthal

Postby emceng » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:17 pm UTC

sarahthegeek wrote:
Ulc wrote:

Nope, that's actually a real live audience sitting there. The DVD for the second season has a blooper reel and the audience is just as active then. If it were a laugh track, it wouldn't be present on the blooper reel. And you can also pick out weird individual laughs and voices occasionally, which you can't do on a laugh track (at least not the laugh tracks I've heard).

Youtube link because it actually is pretty funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLSD3AGLqME

I find that hard to believe. The laugh track was incredibly annoying. I watched two episodes with a girl I was quasi-dating. It reminded me why I don't watch much broadcast TV. The jokes were lame, and the laugh track after each one was grating. There wasn't anything funny about it. Oh, this guy does something dumb. This other guys makes fun of him for it. Guy #3 acts like a child. It was like the writers just printed a couple pages from TVtropes, and added a laugh track.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis
emceng

Postby AlexK456 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:06 pm UTC

One of the best comedies on television, classic
AlexK456

Relationship Agreement (as seen on Big Bang Theory)

Postby DasEengineer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

I think this show is pretty awesome. The funny (and a bit scary) thing is that I seriously know people exactly like Sheldon (and most of the rest of the cast).
Last edited by DasEengineer on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:54 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
DasEengineer

Postby Shifter » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:06 am UTC

emceng wrote:
sarahthegeek wrote:
Ulc wrote:

I find that hard to believe. The laugh track was incredibly annoying. I watched two episodes with a girl I was quasi-dating. It reminded me why I don't watch much broadcast TV. The jokes were lame, and the laugh track after each one was grating. There wasn't anything funny about it. Oh, this guy does something dumb. This other guys makes fun of him for it. Guy #3 acts like a child. It was like the writers just printed a couple pages from TVtropes, and added a laugh track.

They pretty obviously get a real audience in and tell them when to laugh, if that's spontaneous laughter then that's just depressing.

Edit: Oh wow more than a year old.
Shifter

Postby Sprocket » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:27 pm UTC

And what is an "accurate portrayal of nerds" anyway? Like there's only one kind or something! I think it is an fine and comedic portrayal of an amalgamation of nerd, and as a group of individuals, a perfectly fine portrayal of those specific nerds. And they are way cooler than the stereotypical nerds of TV past. I've met me some Sheldon's and I've known me some Leonard's and all of the characters at some point or other say and do things that I totally recognize from my experiences with MIT students and graduates of MIT, my friends here on the XKCD forums, Lincoln Labs and Harmonics employees and the Gamers at X-Strike Studios I was friends with in college.

I just find the show to be a bit of a stereotypical sit-com. Still, perfectly acceptable comedy that I enjoy, and love the take on the acceptance of geeky nerdery in the modern era, but sometimes too annoying and dumb. It varies.

I was sitting in a Regina's Pizzeria with three friends the other day, one ZeroSum from the fora. We were talking about football, but in a very technical and geeky way, the other girl there was getting annoyed with it, and started saying "oh my god, usually I'm the geek among my friends, but with you guys I am Penny, I am Penny, I am Penny."

I guess perhaps there's a certain relativity (no pun) to an individuals over all feeling about the show. Maybe MIT geeks are so close to being like the characters that they can further separate the specific details of how they aren't, and as you get further away, the circle around people you feel are like the guys on BBT becomes larger.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby philsov » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:12 pm UTC

if that's spontaneous laughter then that's just depressing.

Agreed. I've gotten into the series recently. I really love the one liners and some of the back-and-forth, not to mention any time the cast needs to interact outside of their circle (which is every episode, but still).

Take for example, the scene where Sheldon gets his drivers license:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ElOWplNp1I

I really like the exchange between him and the DMV lady, but holy hell. That's a 146 second clip, and there were 21 instances of laughter. As 2 average seconds of laughter per, 30% of the entire clip is laughter.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:51 pm UTC

People laugh when they've already been laughing.

Sitcoms have a warm up comedian or two who get the audience laughing.

Alright, know how something can be funny, then not funny, then fucking over-the-top hilarious? The stuff that makes it to air is the fifth or sixth take.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby pinkie pi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:36 am UTC

*facepalm* Amy just called the Doctor "Doctor Who". The writers really should know better.
pinkie pi

Postby Chen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

pinkie pi wrote:*facepalm* Amy just called the Doctor "Doctor Who". The writers really should know better.

That might have been on purpose. Sheldon or Leonard saying it would have been an error, but Amy is not the same level of geek as them. Her making that type of mistake seems reasonable.
Chen

Postby jules.LT » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

Wow, I had trouble locating this thread.

Anyway, I just saw S06E15 and I'm rather conflicted about a little detail: at the start, Leonard is wearing a T-shirt I own and rather like :|
Ok, I did find it on Dawkins' online shop, but come on...

Fashion advice, geeks: is this a great T-shirt or what?
ImageImage
(Men's is out of stock, Women's in clearance sale)
Bertrand Russell wrote:Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality.
Richard Feynman & many others wrote:Keep an open mind – but not so open that your brain falls out
jules.LT

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

The show does alright with geeky t-shirts. (y'know, besides the unrealistic variety in wardrobe, and layering them under multiple jackets in southern California)
That is, I don't think it costs you any geek cred to dress like Leonard.

My brother has had 4 or 5 goodwill finds that we later saw on the show.
cephalopod9

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:10 am UTC

I don't know. I've heard tale that people in Southern California put on sweaters when it dips below 68F.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I don't know. I've heard tale that people in Southern California put on sweaters when it dips below 68F.

And here in Northern England, it's not unheard of to see people out and about in T-shirt and jeans while snow swirls gently from the sky - in most habitable climates, it's more a matter of how the current temperature compares to the temperatures you're used to than the absolute temperature...
rmsgrey

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows