New Joss Whedon Series: Dollhouse [Spoilers Within]

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Pai

New Joss Whedon Series: Dollhouse [Spoilers Within]

Postby Pai » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:05 pm UTC

Echo (Eliza Dushku) [is] a young woman who is literally everybody's fantasy. She is one of a group of men and women who can be imprinted with personality packages, including memories, skills, language—even muscle memory—for different assignments. The assignments can be romantic, adventurous, outlandish, uplifting, sexual and/or very illegal. When not imprinted with a personality package, Echo and the others are basically mind-wiped, living like children in a futuristic dorm/lab dubbed the Dollhouse, with no memory of their assignments—or of much else. The show revolves around the childlike Echo's burgeoning self-awareness, and her desire to know who she was before, a desire that begins to seep into her various imprinted personalities and puts her in danger both in the field and in the closely monitored confines of the Dollhouse.

Was it Johnny Mnemonic (the book version) that described a similar system, only it was a (largely) consensual arrangement?
Last edited by Pai on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

Tisiphone

Re: New Joss Whedon Series: Dollhouse

Postby Tisiphone » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:01 am UTC

Wait, so what you're saying is Joss Whedon is bringing me a new show with Eliza Dushku? This actually just made my already pretty nice day. Pity Eliza refuses to do nude scenes...
I'd love to have your cake and eat it too.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:28 am UTC

Hate to say it, but no links 'til ten posts.

Best News since Ripper, though.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:58 pm UTC

Yayyyyyyy!

*Does a little dance*
*Makes a little love*
*Gets down tonight*

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:58 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Yayyyyyyy!

*Does a little dance*
*Makes a little love*
*Gets down tonight*

http://www.strindbergandhelium.com
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:17 pm UTC

So basically, she won't have any memories, so that if FOX airs the episodes out of order again it won't matter.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:19 pm UTC

william wrote:So basically, she won't have any memories, so that when FOX airs the episodes out of order again it won't matter when the show is prematurely cancelled.

Fix'd.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:20 pm UTC

And it's only seven episodes, so FOX won't be able to cut it short.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

They cancelled Profit after four.... you give them too much credit.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:48 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:They cancelled Profit after four.... you give them too much credit.

There were three unaired Firefly episodes...what are they going to do, cancel this after two? Assassinate Eliza Dushku?

just john

Postby just john » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:58 pm UTC

So when's this new show?

... and on FOX??? Whedon must be a masochist or have no medium-term memory.

(But I'm happy with my Profit and Firefly boxed sets.)
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:53 pm UTC

just john wrote:So when's this new show?

... and on FOX??? Whedon must be a masochist or have no medium-term memory.

I seem to remember Whedon saying on a Firefly commentary that he'll never work with Fox again after the way they treated Firefly. I wonder, if I didn't hear wrong, what caused this turn-around?

Edit: according to Wikipedia it's going to be premiering during Spring 2008
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:56 pm UTC

the man's a genius and all but how can this be any good? Eh, who cares. Fox knows I'll watch anyway just to be sure...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:05 am UTC

Eliza Dushku in a new outfit every week... the ratings will be through the roof, even if there's no plot.

Perfect Illusion

Postby Perfect Illusion » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:50 am UTC

Interesting concept...and only 7 episodes? Short-miniseries type shows has always been my favorite style to watch. I'll definitely be watching this.

Pai

Postby Pai » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:51 pm UTC

Perfect Illusion wrote:Interesting concept...and only 7 episodes? Short-miniseries type shows has always been my favorite style to watch. I'll definitely be watching this.

Me too, I hate filler. I prefer a show to have definite story arcs that actually get concluded in a reasonable amount of time.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

You know, it's pretty reasonable that FOX will have noticed the incredible following that Firefly has, and thought that perhaps they should not make the same mistake twice. Hopefully Whedon has some protections written into this contract that he didn't have for Firefly.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Droffats

Postby Droffats » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:28 am UTC

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/james-hibbe ... ox_wit.php
TVWeek: Every "Firefly" fan is going to wonder: Was there any reluctance to return to Fox?

Whedon: It’s a brand new day over there. It’s a completely new bunch of people and they seem really intelligent and supportive. Walking back into the building was a little strange. But no. It was absolutely the last thing I saw coming, but absolutely the right thing to do. It’s like one of those movies where you keep waiting for somebody to fall in love with the hot girl. It was sort of meant to be. ... I mean, a network is a network. They have an agenda and it is not yours. And that’s OK, as long as you work hard to make the agendas coincide.

TVWeek:
So they’ll air the episodes in sequence this time?

Whedon [laughs]: One can almost guarantee.

Sounds good. Let's hope they don't pull a Saffron on him.
"I'm glad you took the time to come all the way out here... but 'seal of approval' isn't an actual position." - TPD

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:18 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:You know, it's pretty reasonable that FOX will have noticed the incredible following that Firefly has, and thought that perhaps they should not make the same mistake twice. Hopefully Whedon has some protections written into this contract that he didn't have for Firefly.

Clause 5: FOX Broadcasting are to meet any demands set by Mr Whedon, including but not limited to; sacrificing their own lives, forfeiting their first-born and gathering arms to overthrow the government.
Clause 6: All FOX CEOs must begin their day by kneeling in front of a statue of Mr Whedon and apologize fifty (50) times for cancelling Firefly, regardless of wheter or not they had anything to do with it.
Clause 7: FOX Broadcasting will recognize Mr Whedon as a god and worship him accordingly.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

Droffats wrote:http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/james-hibberd/2007/10/joss_whedon_returns_to_fox_wit.php
TVWeek: Every "Firefly" fan is going to wonder: Was there any reluctance to return to Fox?

Whedon: It’s a brand new day over there. It’s a completely new bunch of people and they seem really intelligent and supportive. Walking back into the building was a little strange. But no. It was absolutely the last thing I saw coming, but absolutely the right thing to do. It’s like one of those movies where you keep waiting for somebody to fall in love with the hot girl. It was sort of meant to be. ... I mean, a network is a network. They have an agenda and it is not yours. And that’s OK, as long as you work hard to make the agendas coincide.

TVWeek:

TRANSLATION:

They paid me lots of money and sent hookers to my house.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:27 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:
Droffats wrote:http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/james-hibberd/2007/10/joss_whedon_returns_to_fox_wit.php

TVWeek:

TRANSLATION:

They paid me lots of money and sent hookers to my house.

They're called Companions.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:29 pm UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:You know, it's pretty reasonable that FOX will have noticed the incredible following that Firefly has, and thought that perhaps they should not make the same mistake twice. Hopefully Whedon has some protections written into this contract that he didn't have for Firefly.

Clause 5: FOX Broadcasting are to meet any demands set by Mr Whedon, including but not limited to; sacrificing their own lives, forfeiting their first-born and gathering arms to overthrow the government.
Clause 6: All FOX CEOs must begin their day by kneeling in front of a statue of Mr Whedon and apologize fifty (50) times for cancelling Firefly, regardless of wheter or not they had anything to do with it.
Clause 7: FOX Broadcasting will recognize Mr Whedon as a god and worship him accordingly.

Shouldn't be too hard. I mean I've already done all of that...

just john

Postby just john » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:17 pm UTC

This just proves that Joss Whedon is not a Joss Whedon Hero. If he were, he would be able to finally spot this OBVIOUS TRAP after falling into it at least twice and milking it for its humor value.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:31 pm UTC

7 episodes are contractually guaranteed, but a full series is planned.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

FoS

Postby FoS » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:26 am UTC

Pai wrote:Was it Johnny Mnemonic (the book version) that described a similar system, only it was a (largely) consensual arrangement?

The Johnny Mnemonic short story by his Holyness the Great William Gibson was about Data Carriers, specifically Johnny. They were just people with chips implanted to transport corporate data but as long as they didn't exceed their storage capacity the information had no impact on their consciousness.
Johnny's problem was that the data load he was carrying was more then he was supposed to hold. (and there was the small problem of the Yakuza assassin out to get him)
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Pai

Postby Pai » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

FoS wrote:
Pai wrote:Was it Johnny Mnemonic (the book version) that described a similar system, only it was a (largely) consensual arrangement?

The Johnny Mnemonic short story by his Holyness the Great William Gibson was about Data Carriers, specifically Johnny. They were just people with chips implanted to transport corporate data but as long as they didn't exceed their storage capacity the information had no impact on their consciousness.
Johnny's problem was that the data load he was carrying was more then he was supposed to hold. (and there was the small problem of the Yakuza assassin out to get him)

I seem to remember characters that were specifically prostitutes as well. I should probably go back and read Burning Chrome again and see if it's one of the stories in there.

FoS

Postby FoS » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:25 am UTC

Johnny was indeed in Burning Chrome. You might be getting confused with Molly working as a prostitute to pay for her enhancements.
"...working as intended"

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:06 am UTC

Tisiphone wrote:Wait, so what you're saying is Joss Whedon is bringing me a new show with Eliza Dushku? This actually just made my already pretty nice day. Pity Eliza refuses to do nude scenes...

Have you seen "The Girl Next Door"? It makes her a better actress.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:50 pm UTC

FoS wrote:Johnny was indeed in Burning Chrome. You might be getting confused with Molly working as a prostitute to pay for her enhancements.

Is that in mona lisa smile? Damn, what do I need to get? :(
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

FoS

Postby FoS » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:34 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:
FoS wrote:Johnny was indeed in Burning Chrome. You might be getting confused with Molly working as a prostitute to pay for her enhancements.

Is that in mona lisa smile? Damn, what do I need to get? :(

It was mentioned in several of the stories. In Neuromancer Molly mentions that the combination of implants and her prostitution created a weird mix so she wasn't unconscious like the other girls and therefore attracted higher prices.
"...working as intended"

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:51 pm UTC

I must've missed that then. Heh.

Also, is she in the filmversion of Johnny Mnenomic? I was fairly sure she wasn't...

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

FoS

Postby FoS » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:42 pm UTC

She was kinda. It was meant to be her but it was so mangled it ended up as "obligatory female actor who can do some slightly almost cool stuff"
"...working as intended"

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:47 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:Is that in mona lisa overdrive? Damn, what do I need to get? :(

Fix'd
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:50 pm UTC

oops. that is a totally different thing :(

FoS wrote:She was kinda. It was meant to be her but it was so mangled it ended up as "obligatory female actor who can do some slightly almost cool stuff"

Ah, when I saw it, I was thinking she should be Mona, but then she had a totally different name. :shock:

mgroat

Postby mgroat » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

mosc wrote:the man's a genius and all but how can this be any good?

Remember, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a spin off of a movie about a cheerleader who slays vampires. Just because the concept seems a little odd doesn't mean that Joss won't make it into something great.

karmiclube
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby karmiclube » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

joss whedon worship aside, the premise strongly reminds me of a science fiction short story in which there was a kiosk where people could buy love--not just a quick screw, but "true love"--for a short amount of time. the temporary love interests had chips in their brain programmed with personalities and likes/dislikes that were compatible with the customers, who would get injected with a serum or something that got the right juices (hormones and such) flowing to simulate the feeling of being in love. (one such customer tried to follow up with his "ex-gf" after his allotted time and was rather disenchanted with the results, whereupon he took advantage of a kiosk that "sold" murder. :lol: )

something like that, anyway; it's been ages since i read the story, and the book that contained it has long since been misplaced on a bench outside an airport. too bad, too. there were some awesome concepts in it. :(

either way, i'm eagerly looking forward to how whedon presents this story, and with no small amount of skepticism hope fox doesn't twist the knife in fans again.

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

mgroat wrote:Remember, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a spin off of a movie about a cheerleader who slays vampires. Just because the concept seems a little odd doesn't mean that Joss won't make it into something great.

I'm a total pedantic ass, I know, but technically Buffy the Vampire Slayer was based on a screenplay about a cheerleader who slays vampires. Whedon was so frustrated at the rape of his ideas that he left production long before the end. His screenplay is widely considered to be quite good, but the movie itself is another matter. So he turned the screenplay into a tv series and made sure he had more control over it.

Of course, that wasn't really the crux of your statement. Sorry. :)

I've been... sort of obsessed with Buffy lately. I've watched nearly all seven seasons in the last couple of months. This addiction combined with my ongoing love of Firefly has me eagerly awaiting Dollhouse. But then, I find the concept quite interesting, though I don't know that Eliza Dushku's my favorite actress.
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

The Q

Postby The Q » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:59 am UTC

The only way I could be more excited about this...wait...my bad...I couldn't be anymore excited about this!

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Wed May 14, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

I was just sitting here wondering "Serenity came out a couple of years ago now. Does Joss Whedon just eat catfood or has he got himself another job yet?"

As well as Faith there's Fred from Angel, Rosemary (the teacher/love interest) from Rushmore, and a guy from Battlestar Galactica.
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Thu May 15, 2008 12:18 am UTC

just john wrote:This just proves that Joss Whedon is not a Joss Whedon Hero. If he were, he would be able to finally spot this OBVIOUS TRAP after falling into it at least twice and milking it for its humor value.

You'd figure he'd been genre savvy by now, but instead he's contractually genre blind.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”