Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Metacelsus

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Metacelsus » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:I'd like to see the current Doctor - Companion Dichotomy shaken up a bit - I've been mulling over a bunch of ways that could be done and trashing bad ones like little kids and nuclear families, and think an elderly companion (male or female) or even an elderly couple could work out really well.

Interesting. How about not just elderly but wiser than the Doctor? Completely reverse the master/student type relationship previous companions have had.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:I'd like to see the current Doctor - Companion Cube Dichotomy shaken up a bit - I've been mulling over a bunch of ways that could be done and trashing bad ones like little kids and nuclear families, and think an elderly companion (male or female) or even an elderly couple could work out really well.

fix'd

Actually, Donna's...whatever relation he is...would be a good companion, and has potential for some really funny lines (it's those green alien bastards!).
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

hahaha Oh Wow. An episode where all Tennant has for company is the companion cube would be absolutely hilarious.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:14 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:hahaha Oh Wow. An episode where all Tennant has for company is the companion cube would be absolutely hilarious.

No.
No it wouldn't.

It'd be funny for the first five seconds as you get the Portal reference, then either the rest of the episode would be filled with portal references or it would just be an entire episode of the Doctor solving stuff without the help of a companion.

Portal references are not the height of humour. It's a good game, not a how-to guide for wit.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:42 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:
Joeldi wrote:I'd like to see the current Doctor - Companion Cube Dichotomy shaken up a bit - I've been mulling over a bunch of ways that could be done and trashing bad ones like little kids and nuclear families, and think an elderly companion (male or female) or even an elderly couple could work out really well.

fix'd

Actually, Donna's...whatever relation he is...would be a good companion, and has potential for some really funny lines (it's those green alien bastards!).

Donna's grandfather was pretty cool. But I doubt they could find an explanation for him leaving that wouldn't

Spoiler:
kill Donna. So that is a stumbling block. If she dies, though, there's a great opening there.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:00 am UTC

I haven't even /played/ portal, I was thinking of the Doctor being all alone and running in to the companion cube, he starts talking to it getting his feelings out, that gets old, shit goes down and now, (because he's gone loopy out of loneliness) he has to protect it.

Okay, maybe it's not a recipe for gold, but it could be done well. I was just acting on impulse before.

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

It would be nice for him to cart around a companion who's a bit more exotic than a 21st century Londoner. Would give them less of a reason to set half their plots in Wales.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:21 am UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:It would be nice for him to cart around a companion who's a bit more exotic than a 21st century Londoner. Would give them less of a reason to set half their plots in Wales.

Those of you who watched Old Who, enlighten the young'n...have his companions always been from then-modern-day Britain, or at least Earth? (Jack Harkness, I guess, but he wasn't really a long-term companion.)

Well. You heard him.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:53 am UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:It would be nice for him to cart around a companion who's a bit more exotic than a 21st century Londoner. Would give them less of a reason to set half their plots in Wales.

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Those of you who watched Old Who, enlighten the young'n...have his companions always been from then-modern-day Britain, or at least Earth? (Jack Harkness, I guess, but he wasn't really a long-term companion.)

Barbara Wright - 1963 England [Modern Companion]
Ian Chesterton - 1963 England [Modern Companion]
Susan Foreman - Timelord
Vicki - 25th Century Earth
Steven Taylor - 23rd Century Earth
Katarina 2 - Ancient Greece
Sara Kingdom - 40th Century Earth
Dodo Chaplet - 1966 England [Modern Companion]
Polly - 1966 England [Modern Companion]
Ben Jackson - 1966 England [Modern Companion]
Jamie McCrimmon - 1746 Scotland
Victoria Waterfield - 1866 England
Zoe Herriet - Late 21st Century Space Station
Liz Shaw - 1970 England [Modern Companion]
Jo Grant - 1971 England [Modern Companion]
Sarah Jane Smith - 1973 England [Modern Companion]
Harry Sullivan - 1974 England [Modern Companion]
Leela - Far Future
K9 MK I & II - 51st Century
Romana I - Timelord
Romana II - Timelord
Adric - E-Space
Nyssa - Traken
Teegan Jovanka - 1981 Australia [Modern Companion]
Vislor Turlough - 1983 Trion but originally thought to be from England (so [Modern Companion])
Kamelion - Xeriphas
Perpugilliam Brown - 1984 America [Modern Companion]
Melanie Bush - 1986 England [Modern Companion]
Ace - 1987 England [Modern Companion]
Dr. Grace Holloway - 1999 America (Portrayed exactly like present day so [Modern Companion])
Rose Tyler - 2005 England [Modern Companion]
Adam Mitchell - 2012 England (Portrayed exactly like present day so [Modern Companion])
Captain Jack Harkness (Time Agent)- 51st Century
Mickey Smith - 2006 England [Modern Companion]
Donna Noble - 2006 England [Modern Companion]
Martha Jones - 2007 England [Modern Companion]
Captain Jack Harkness (Torchwood)- 2007 England [Modern Companion]
Astrid Peth - Sto

That is everyone on the companions listing. It doesn't include general UNIT staff like Benton, Yates and the Brigadier (all of whom would modern companions).

It seems like the old show used a lot of modern companions but it still had more exotic companions than the new series, which basically had Astrid Peth for a single episode. Captain Jack Harkness is debatable which is why he is listed twice. Anyway, it did take several seasons before the classic show introduced the exotic companions so I'm sure that will happen at some point, probably under Steven Moffat's tenure. He probably would've used Prof. River Song if things had worked out different.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:57 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:

Those of you who watched Old Who, enlighten the young'n...have his companions always been from then-modern-day Britain, or at least Earth? (Jack Harkness, I guess, but he wasn't really a long-term companion.)

I'm quite aware of the classic ones. I want to see more of them in the new one.

Also, I thought Adam was supposed to be an American? That episode was set in the near-future US.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:58 am UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:I'm quite aware of the classic ones.

Well, you might but Sir Elderberry didn't seem to be familiar with some older companions and I'm sure some other people here aren't either so the list was for their benefit.

Yuri2356 wrote:I want to see more of them in the new one.

I don't know. It was nice to see Sarah Jane but the old show started to go downhill when it bogged itself down in its continuity. It might be better just to have nods to old companions and stories rather than to bring back more older companions simply for the sake of it. Besides, it might seem overly derivative of "School Reunion."

Yuri2356 wrote:Also, I thought Adam was supposed to be an American? That episode was set in the near-future US.

Watch "Dalek" again. The episode took place in 2012 Utah but Adam was specifically supposed to be a British genius that Van Statten recruited.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:17 am UTC

MiB24601 wrote:

I don't know. It was nice to see Sarah Jane but the old show started to go downhill when it bogged itself down in its continuity. It might be better just to have nods to old companions and stories rather than to bring back more older companions simply for the sake of it. Besides, it might seem overly derivative of "School Reunion."

I'm being misread here - By 'them' I mean 'non-modern-british people'. I'm asking for more cameos, just more variety in the cast.
Last edited by Yuri2356 on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:07 am UTC

MiB24601 wrote:I don't know. It was nice to see Sarah Jane but the old show started to go downhill when it bogged itself down in its continuity. It might be better just to have nods to old companions and stories rather than to bring back more older companions simply for the sake of it. Besides, it might seem overly derivative of "School Reunion."

Yuri2356 wrote:I'm being misread here - By 'them' I mean 'non-modern-british people'. I'm notasking for more cameos, just more variety in the cast.

Ah. Well, what I wrote above if what you meant to say then, I apologize for misinterpreting. I do concur. Zoe and Romana II are my favorite companions and part of what they brought to the table was that they were not character's that could have fit in with other shows but rather were characters that would only work in Doctor Who.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:55 am UTC

MiB24601 wrote:He probably would've used Prof. River Song if things had worked out different.

So you don't think any attempt will be made to put her in the series on Tennant's leaving? If she does just get dusted under the carpet I'll be sad.

Metacelsus

Postby Metacelsus » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:So you don't think any attempt will be made to put her in the series on Tennant's leaving? If she does just get dusted under the carpet I'll be sad.

My guess is she'll feature in at least one of the specials which I imagine will take place over a decent period of time. She'll also be a good reason for the Doctor not to feel like boffing any companions any time soon.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

I think River Song's a bit of a mistake, and I do hope they dust her under the carpet.

The Doctor has to meet her in his current incarnation - and in fact, become quite romantically attatched (look at her reading the diary in the first episode of the library duo - she recognises him, so she has to meet tennant, but she asks about quite a few occasions when they've been together - so she must have done quite a few things with him as Tennant). This means they have to meet before Tennant leaves, so pretty soon indeed. Once they meet, the Doctor is going to be less interested in new companions and the like - that's going to make the show less variable. The Doctor can't settle down - it's just not right.

Can I put my vote on Romana II being the best companion. If they could somehow swing it for him to get another timelord companion, that'd be awesome, but I don't think that'd fit in with continuity very well.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:07 pm UTC

If only a suitably attractive (read: ridiculously attractive) time lord had recently come into being and was currently out looking for adventures after dying and regenerating, and was somehow related to the Doctor already.

And if only Stephen Moffat had reportedly been the driving force behind making her not die at the end of that episode.

Man, that'd be awesome.

Well. You heard him.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:35 am UTC

Nebuduck wrote:I think River Song's a bit of a mistake, and I do hope they dust her under the carpet.

The Doctor has to meet her in his current incarnation - and in fact, become quite romantically attatched (look at her reading the diary in the first episode of the library duo - she recognises him, so she has to meet tennant, but she asks about quite a few occasions when they've been together - so she must have done quite a few things with him as Tennant). This means they have to meet before Tennant leaves, so pretty soon indeed. Once they meet, the Doctor is going to be less interested in new companions and the like - that's going to make the show less variable. The Doctor can't settle down - it's just not right.

Can I put my vote on Romana II being the best companion. If they could somehow swing it for him to get another timelord companion, that'd be awesome, but I don't think that'd fit in with continuity very well.

Weeeeeeeell, Once again, immortality comes into play here, they could have a very rich, full relationship flare up and die down to almost nothing in between two episodes, they don't necessarily have to show it all, or any of it, and they don't have to retcon it.

Metacelsus

Postby Metacelsus » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:32 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:And if only Stephen Moffat had reportedly been the driving force behind making her not die at the end of that episode.

Man, that'd be awesome.

Yeah but he later claimed he'd totally forgotten he insisted she live until the episode aired. Don't assume too much prescience on his part. Although for the first part of your post I was thinking a new female incarnation of the Master who somehow disguises who she is until the season finale. That would be awesome.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:39 am UTC

Metacelsus wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:And if only Stephen Moffat had reportedly been the driving force behind making her not die at the end of that episode.

Man, that'd be awesome.

Yeah but he later claimed he'd totally forgotten he insisted she live until the episode aired. Don't assume too much prescience on his part. Although for the first part of your post I was thinking a new female incarnation of the Master who somehow disguises who she is until the season finale. That would be awesome.

In my personal fantasy world, he's saying that to throw us off track.

But the Master thing would be pretty crazy too, even if (s)he's already done the whole "Hide in plain sight for a season" thing.

Well. You heard him.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:24 am UTC

I'm just going to throw everything for a loop and say the perfect companion for the new Doctor would be Dalek Caan.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:31 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:I think River Song's a bit of a mistake, and I do hope they dust her under the carpet.

The Doctor has to meet her in his current incarnation - and in fact, become quite romantically attatched (look at her reading the diary in the first episode of the library duo - she recognises him, so she has to meet tennant, but she asks about quite a few occasions when they've been together - so she must have done quite a few things with him as Tennant).

"134th day, 943rd year - Recovered from regen after absorbing the time vortex (still getting that odd tingly sensation, usually gone within a week) Finally gotten a good look at the new face and damn am I fine. Had the perfect suit sitting around to go with it too - *sketch* - not bad for a man who's died nine times if I do say so myself..."

We know that he knows how he's looked over the ages, and can do a damn fine job of putting it to paper. (see: Human Nature/Family of Blood) We also know that the doctor who knew River was fully aware of the events of Silence/Forrest and took the time to drop a few key things that he'd need so they'd wibble their way to appropriate place in the ball. So who's to say he didn't leave a picture of Doc #10 lying around the TARDIS so that she'd be familiar with his former face.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:

The Doctor has to meet her in his current incarnation - and in fact, become quite romantically attatched (look at her reading the diary in the first episode of the library duo - she recognises him, so she has to meet tennant, but she asks about quite a few occasions when they've been together - so she must have done quite a few things with him as Tennant).

"134th day, 943rd year - Recovered from regen after absorbing the time vortex (still getting that odd tingly sensation, usually gone within a week) Finally gotten a good look at the new face and damn am I fine. Had the perfect suit sitting around to go with it too - *sketch* - not bad for a man who's died nine times if I do say so myself..."

We know that he knows how he's looked over the ages, and can do a damn fine job of putting it to paper. (see: Human Nature/Family of Blood) We also know that the doctor who knew River was fully aware of the events of Silence/Forrest and took the time to drop a few key things that he'd need so they'd wibble their way to appropriate place in the ball. So who's to say he didn't leave a picture of Doc #10 lying around the TARDIS so that she'd be familiar with his former face.

One would think, in that case, that River Song would have been aware she was meeting the doctor from before they hooked up, no? She obviously seemed to think it was the Doctor from some point within their relationship, hence all the questions, implying that they met quite some time before he left the current incarnation. Of course the constant jumping about through time probably makes this point completely moot, but anyway, just an observation for you.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

The Doctor's Singalong Travelog?

If they actually make one of those, I will squee.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

i don't care if billie piper can sing. they better not bring rose back. (i liked her but she is gone.)
a musical has the potential to be really cool, but davies is no joss whedon.
i don't think it'll happen but we shall see.

oh this is old but while writing this post i was reminded of hitler getting banned from torchwood. it is funny if you haven't seen it.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Amusing moment from last night:

GirlTM: Oh hey, it says here the next Dr. Who is supposed to be black.

Belial: They should totally fucking get the guy who played the Marquis de Carabas in "Neverwhere"

GirlTM: ::scrolls through the new doctor's IMDB credits:: ....they totally got the guy who played the Marquis de Carabas in "Neverwhere".

Belial: ....I need to start watching this show.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:59 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:The Doctor's Singalong Travelog?

If they actually make one of those, I will squee.

Can you really trust a news article which states that Colin Baker was Tom Baker's immediately replacement as the Doctor?

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:04 am UTC

...Me, the only things I've seen Moffat do are The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, and Jekyll. Out of those four things, I liked one. I thought Jekyll was a narrative train wreck, and GitF was just a mess on so many levels. Blink wasn't horrible, but I didn't think it was fantastic like a lot of people did. That one he did first series, though, that was really good.

(I still can't believe that he's going to change any of the many, many things I have hated about the new series. But I shouldn't bitch, because I'm not going to be watching it.)

Is that casting official yet? I don't keep up with fansites or anything because I don't like to be filled with hate. :( I was expecting it to wind up being that guy from Jekyll, based on the admittedly dodgy criterion of "What would the people I know who've hated the show most hate to see?"

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:00 pm UTC

So, guys, xmas special?

Best line ever:
Spoiler:
'But you said I wouldn't be converted' 'THAT WAS DESIGNATED: A LIE' (Yes, I'm now using small caps for cyberman speak. If it's good enough for Death, it's damned well good enough for the cybermen)

Anyway, I actually thought it was a bit weak.

Spoiler:
Particularly the whole Jason Lake/Doctor thing. I think the guy actually should have been a future regeneration of the doctor just caught in some sort of time loop. Maybe at the end of the episode the doctor (Tennant) is dying and pours regeneration energy into the doctor (Morrissey), which causes him to go back a generation and regain all his memory, while Tennant goes into his next generation, losing memories - essentially, Morrissey turns into Tennant and Tennant turns into Morrissey. Maybe this is a tad too complicated, but I just didn't like the way they chose to do it. I mean, it would have been much more fun if there were two people who genuinely were the doctor, trying to stop the other working out that they were the doctor... or something.

Why did the cybermen need the children? They could have gotten their power from somewhere much less conspicuous. That just seemed a bit of a feeble plot device. And using the dimension thingy was a bit too much of a deus ex machina. Also, if these information capsules are such a potent weapon, why the hell to the cybermen let them get into the hands of people?

On the other hand, I loved the relationship between the two doctors when JL still thought he was the doctor, and the cyberking was pretty nifty, and Mercy was a great character.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

As I posted in the comments of the Noisetosignal review of the special:

Definitely the best of the Christmas specials.

Spoiler:
I was hoping he really would turn out to be a future regeneration of the Doctor. :(

Every time they said, "The Court of the Cyberking", I couldnt help but think of this:

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

I really enjoyed it.

Spoiler:
I'm glad he didn't turn out to be a future regeneration of the Doctor--I thought his story was pretty good as it was, because he wasn't the Doctor, but he did a damn good job pretending to be. Which just goes to show what can be accomplished without a Time and Relative Dimension in Space and a whistling screwdriver.

The Cyberking was a bit...Power-Rangers-ish? "They've defeated my Cybermen! Make me a huge one!" But I thought it worked alright regardless.

They used orphans because nobody would notice them. Nobody cares about orphans in Victorian London I guess, except for the evil people.

Well. You heard him.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

I really enjoyed it, thought it was the best of the Christmas specials since Tennant entered the scene. I thought David Morrissey was especially great.

Plus the line
Spoiler:
"That was designated a 'lie'"
was hilarious.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:20 am UTC

Oh joy, we've reached the point in the year where I have to stop opening the spoilers on this page...
*Sigh*

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:30 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:Oh joy, we've reached the point in the year where I have to stop opening the spoilers on this page...
*Sigh*

It's only for about a month this time, I think.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:34 pm UTC

I just remembered why I like the Forest of the Dead so much
Someone finally backs the fuck down when the Doctor tells them to
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:59 am UTC

I actually thought this was kind of lame. They set everything up for some kind of huge twist, and then never had one. Also, far too much self-congratulation. Please stop telling me how awesome The Doctor is and show me.

But the "lie line" is definitely one of the most quotable things I've seen on TV ever.

Metacelsus

Postby Metacelsus » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:34 am UTC

Spoiler:
I was disappointed the other doctor didn't really hvae a crowning moment of awesome. He did the zappy thing with the infostamps but I thought he was going to swing in and save his son which would have been awesome. Letting the doctor do it is just boring.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

They're naming the new Doctor tomorrow apparently.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Alder

Postby Alder » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:29 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:They're naming the new Doctor tomorrow apparently.

Not just apparently, but really:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7807742.stm

I'm with Tennant, it should be wee Jimmy Krankie. :D
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:48 pm UTC

So this gives me a final chance to link to Lawrence Miles' roundup of the candidates. Mean and snidey, as usual with him, but most of his points are at least interesting or amusing, if disagreeable...

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”