Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
ArgonV
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:08 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Doctor Who

Postby ArgonV » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:06 pm UTC

Macbi wrote:
pi(e)lover wrote:
Fractal_Tangent wrote:
pi(e)lover wrote:I like the new Doctor very much, he's got just the right amount of crazy and is doing a good job of not trying to just be the same as David Tennant.
Is it just me, or did the first episode go all a bit Hitchhiker's Guide?


How so?


Spoiler:
well, big alien race with a plan to blow up the world, assistant goes along for the ride in her dressing gown...

I got reminded of Hitchhiker's as well, but for a completely different reason:
Spoiler:
The Doctor waving around his sonic screwdriver to atract the aliens attention was a lot like Ford trying to hitch a ride from the Vogons with his electronic sub-etha signalling thumb. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jovd8ve4wbo#t=4m21s


Spoiler:
The perception filter on the door reminds me of the 'someone else's problem field'. Also, the weeping angels are coming back? And was that Vincent van Gogh?


And Amy is very easy on the eyes

User avatar
Box Boy
WINNING
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Box Boy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Spoiler:The perception filter on the door reminds me of the 'someone else's problem field'. Also, the weeping angels are coming back? And was that Vincent van Gogh?
I don't think so, but the resemblance is there.

ArgonV wrote:And Amy is very easy on the eyes

True dat
Signatures are for chumps.

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Whelan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Macbi wrote:
pi(e)lover wrote:
Fractal_Tangent wrote:
pi(e)lover wrote:I like the new Doctor very much, he's got just the right amount of crazy and is doing a good job of not trying to just be the same as David Tennant.
Is it just me, or did the first episode go all a bit Hitchhiker's Guide?


How so?


Spoiler:
well, big alien race with a plan to blow up the world, assistant goes along for the ride in her dressing gown...

I got reminded of Hitchhiker's as well, but for a completely different reason:
Spoiler:
The Doctor waving around his sonic screwdriver to atract the aliens attention was a lot like Ford trying to hitch a ride from the Vogons with his electronic sub-etha signalling thumb. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jovd8ve4wbo#t=4m21s


Spoiler:
The perception filter on the door reminds me of the 'someone else's problem field'. Also, the weeping angels are coming back? And was that Vincent van Gogh?


And Amy is very easy on the eyes
Spoiler:
Is that perception filter the same kind as was on the pocket watches?

extra spoiler for guessing about plot points
Spoiler:
Anyone else reckon that the Doctor trying to change a fixed point in Water's of Mars was what caused the cracks, and the tardis' regeneration? Either that or the Master's attempted resurrection. I'm worried this will turn out predictable
Last edited by Whelan on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:39 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Doctor Who

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:39 pm UTC

Yeah it turns out spoiler tags don't nest.

Spoiler:
Or do they?

Image

Actually I think the Tardis was simply regenerating because it was badly damaged.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
MiB24601
Posts: 714
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:13 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Doctor Who

Postby MiB24601 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Whelan wrote:I was actually hoping the sonic screwdriver would stay broken.

netcrusher88 wrote:From what I understand from the Doctor Who wiki, the TARDIS making a new sonic screwdriver when one is broken is pretty much SOP.


Nope. When the sonic screwdriver was destroyed during the Fifth Doctor's tenure, it wasn't seen again until the time of the Eighth Doctor.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

MiB24601 wrote:When the sonic screwdriver was destroyed during the Fifth Doctor's tenure, it wasn't seen again until the time of the Eighth Doctor.


From what I understand, it was killed off specifically -because- it led to such sloppy writing. Good riddance. One can only hope that coin eventually trickles down with the current producers as well. You know, maybe like if they tried actually watching some old episodes instead of relying on the highly mutated memories of doctor who from their childhood.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
charliepanayi
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:26 pm UTC
Location: London, UK

Re: Doctor Who

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:22 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
MiB24601 wrote:When the sonic screwdriver was destroyed during the Fifth Doctor's tenure, it wasn't seen again until the time of the Eighth Doctor.


From what I understand, it was killed off specifically -because- it led to such sloppy writing. Good riddance. One can only hope that coin eventually trickles down with the current producers as well. You know, maybe like if they tried actually watching some old episodes instead of relying on the highly mutated memories of doctor who from their childhood.


I wish I had your psychic insights into the viewing habits of the producers/writers of the show.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Robstickle
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:07 am UTC

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Robstickle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:And Amy is very easy on the eyes


I'm in love.

Spoiler:
And I really think the Sonic Screwdriver needs renaming. Using sound waves to open up a crack in the fabric of spacetime? I know it's been ridiculous for a while now but still.

User avatar
MiB24601
Posts: 714
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:13 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Doctor Who

Postby MiB24601 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:12 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:From what I understand, [the sonic screwdriver] was killed off specifically -because- it led to such sloppy writing. Good riddance. One can only hope that coin eventually trickles down with the current producers as well. You know, maybe like if they tried actually watching some old episodes instead of relying on the highly mutated memories of doctor who from their childhood.


There are some aspects of the classic series that seem like they are just gone and won't be coming back due to the nature of modern television. For one, it seems that having an "older" Doctor won't ever happen again, due to the rigors of filming schedules these days. Another thing that I think are gone are slow-paced establishing scenes that were a staple of the classic series. While I agree that the classic series could drag on and on at times, the current show is too much in the other direction.

As part of the "speeding-up," it seems that the Doctor and his companions need to be able to get out of jams quickly. If you only have 42 minutes per story, you only have so much time which can be used by having the Doctor trapped in a cell or cuffed to a heater*. Thus, unless the series moves back to serials, where stories could be 100 minutes on average and the characters could spend more time locked up without slowing down the story, some device, whether it be the sonic screwdriver or something else, is necessary to keep the stories moving along.

I also miss the days when the Doctor didn't have all the information in the universe at his fingertips. I miss him having no idea what was going on and trying to work out the situation. Some episodes try to have that occasionally these days but only at first, with the Doctor again being the best in the room after a few moments of getting up to speed. Again, this seems part of the "speeding-up," as there just isn't time for the Doctor to be completely lost and then try to deduce things anymore.

* Or trying to search for the information that is the key to whatever is going on. Still, using a screwdriver to search a computer seems strange, no matter how "sonic" it is.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

MiB24601 wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:From what I understand, [the sonic screwdriver] was killed off specifically -because- it led to such sloppy writing. Good riddance. One can only hope that coin eventually trickles down with the current producers as well. You know, maybe like if they tried actually watching some old episodes instead of relying on the highly mutated memories of doctor who from their childhood.


There are some aspects of the classic series that seem like they are just gone and won't be coming back due to the nature of modern television. For one, it seems that having an "older" Doctor won't ever happen again, due to the rigors of filming schedules these days. Another thing that I think are gone are slow-paced establishing scenes that were a staple of the classic series. While I agree that the classic series could drag on and on at times, the current show is too much in the other direction.

As part of the "speeding-up," it seems that the Doctor and his companions need to be able to get out of jams quickly. If you only have 42 minutes per story, you only have so much time which can be used by having the Doctor trapped in a cell or cuffed to a heater*. Thus, unless the series moves back to serials, where stories could be 100 minutes on average and the characters could spend more time locked up without slowing down the story, some device, whether it be the sonic screwdriver or something else, is necessary to keep the stories moving along.


The point, though, is that it's fundamentally sloppy writing to have an endless stack of get-out-of-jail-free cards, and use them over and over and over and over and over again in virtually every scene.

That doesn't go to say that the classic series wasn't without flaws: He was locked up -a lot-. A real staple scenario was to have him captured by some military force that wouldn't let him speak to alarm them of some impending doom, and the struggle to get to do that was like half of the serial. And a lot of this just felt like filler for the slow-paced serial format. Oh, and the constant cliffhangers would be another drawback.

MiB24601 wrote:I also miss the days when the Doctor didn't have all the information in the universe at his fingertips. I miss him having no idea what was going on and trying to work out the situation. Some episodes try to have that occasionally these days but only at first, with the Doctor again being the best in the room after a few moments of getting up to speed. Again, this seems part of the "speeding-up," as there just isn't time for the Doctor to be completely lost and then try to deduce things anymore.

* Or trying to search for the information that is the key to whatever is going on. Still, using a screwdriver to search a computer seems strange, no matter how "sonic" it is.


Indeed. Tangentially, I'm really frustrated with his new found godhood. As I've raved on about previously in this thread, he is in serious need of some peers to take him down a peg or four.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Whelan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:41 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
MiB24601 wrote:I also miss the days when the Doctor didn't have all the information in the universe at his fingertips. I miss him having no idea what was going on and trying to work out the situation. Some episodes try to have that occasionally these days but only at first, with the Doctor again being the best in the room after a few moments of getting up to speed. Again, this seems part of the "speeding-up," as there just isn't time for the Doctor to be completely lost and then try to deduce things anymore.

* Or trying to search for the information that is the key to whatever is going on. Still, using a screwdriver to search a computer seems strange, no matter how "sonic" it is.


Indeed. Tangentially, I'm really frustrated with his new found godhood. As I've raved on about previously in this thread, he is in serious need of some peers to take him down a peg or four.

Again. Because that's what happened at Christmas/ New Year's. Or at least what should have happened.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
Link
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am UTC
Location: ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Link » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:59 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Indeed. Tangentially, I'm really frustrated with his new found godhood. As I've raved on about previously in this thread, he is in serious need of some peers to take him down a peg or four.

I really hope Eleven deals with the godhood/last of the Time Lords thing better than Ten. IMO, Ten's "breaking point" was when he had to mind-wipe Donna - he really started losing it after that. I hope the regeneration and associated personality change cuts the megalomania a bit. In The Eleventh Hour, at least, he wasn't as "I AM GOD, LISTEN TO ME, UNIVERSE" as Ten was in Waters of Mars and The End of Time, and the little bit of megalomania he did show is hopefully just some residual post-regeneration personality.

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Whelan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

I'm hoping that half of him from that episode is post-regeneration personality hangover because he was really channelling Tennant at some points, and if everything needs changing like Moffat says then surely that means the Doctor's personality not just his face (Which is stupid-looking now by the way.)
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

From previous doctors, it seems it takes a while for the actors to get into the role. Though judging from the improvement we're already seeing, I'm carefully optimistic.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

MysteryBall
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:47 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Who

Postby MysteryBall » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:09 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Change the tune, change the logo, even change the interior of the TARDIS, but when you change the colour of the Sonic Screwdriver, I do not approve.

Also, anyone know where I can order a kissogram from her?

User avatar
Nebuduck
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:45 pm UTC
Location: Old Blighty

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Nebuduck » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:23 pm UTC

Is it just me, or does that bow tie look like a clip on?

As far as I'm concerned, the doctor is a man who can tie a goddamned bow tie!

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Adacore » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:22 am UTC

Having watched the first ep of this series with a Doctor Who newbie (my sister's boyfriend), I thought it was good but not the episode you want to start someone new with. It was generally assumed that all of the regeneration mechanics canon was known by the viewer, which made it a bit confusing for someone that didn't know it, I think...

Aside from that, I like Matt Smith, and I love Karen Gillan (but then I thought I would, she's my type). I think he'll manage to make the 11th different enough from the 10th for it to be fine. Oh, and I like the new DW logo!

It'll be interesting to see where this season goes - the trailer looked like a highlight reel of Doctor Who baddies past, but I hope we get at least some new and innovative stories instead of just reworkings of the old stuff. The strongest DW episodes have always been the plot-driven ones set on Earth in the past. Or (if you're talking about the older seasons) the ones where they're stranded on the same planet for half a dozen episodes at a time, with the Doctor gradually working out what problems they have and how to solve them over the course of several episodes. Although once you realise that was in the time of 20-minute episodes and these days they last an hour or more, arguments for that become considerably weaker.

User avatar
MiB24601
Posts: 714
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:13 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Doctor Who

Postby MiB24601 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:57 am UTC

Nebuduck wrote:Is it just me, or does that bow tie look like a clip on?

As far as I'm concerned, the doctor is a man who can tie a goddamned bow tie!


While we don't actually see the Doctor tying the bowtie, from the action, it looks like the Doctor is supposed to have tied the bowtie himself. However, for continuity reasons*, ties used in television and film are often clipped on in order to avoid differences cropping up between takes.

* I don't mean continuity reasons referring to consistency in characterization or plot but rather visual errors that can appear between takes.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

User avatar
thecommabandit
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:25 pm UTC
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:39 am UTC

It was a good episode. Dragged on a lot but I'll chalk that up to Moffat finding his pace with the new Doctor. But they really need to stop bringing the Daleks and/or Cybermen back every god-damned series. Why not - le gasp - make a new race of Big Bad Evil Guys? Something that's new and hence requires some time to figure out?

And there are four things I really like about Amelia Pond:
1) The name. Amelia Pond. It's fun to say.
2) She's really hot.
3) She's getting married. Hopefully there'll be no sexual tension bullshit this time!
4) She's really hot.
Image

User avatar
Dave_Wise
Posts: 698
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm UTC
Location: Wales. Explaining much.
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Dave_Wise » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:43 am UTC

The airbrushed publicity photos actually make her look less hot than she is. On TV, she has the most adorable freckles and perfect little nose...
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

User avatar
ameretrifle
Vera
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:32 am UTC
Location: Canada (the flat bit)

Re: Doctor Who

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:52 am UTC

Whelan wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Indeed. Tangentially, I'm really frustrated with his new found godhood. As I've raved on about previously in this thread, he is in serious need of some peers to take him down a peg or four.

Again. Because that's what happened at Christmas/ New Year's. Or at least what should have happened.
And when the Cybermen showed up. And when he figured out he accidentally created Torchwood. And especially when the Master decimated the planet. And when his "daughter" showed up. And whenever he found out about the events of Children of Earth. And, you know, pretty much every bloody series-ender and at least half the episodes in between. By all rights there should be no pegs left in the galaxy. But I'm sure they'll realize it's getting to be a bit much next time. Since it was proving so detrimental to Tennant's popularity. >_>

Why does this show want me to be a right-wing gun-loving misanthrope so very badly?

Whelan wrote:He was oscillating between Tennant and insanity.
I cannot fathom what the difference between those two terms could possibly be. Attempting to imagine anything more insane than Tennant just makes me want to cry. So I'm going to stop now and feel very, very comfortable in my decision not to give Moffat a chance. >_>

User avatar
Nebuduck
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:45 pm UTC
Location: Old Blighty

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Nebuduck » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:19 am UTC

MiB24601 wrote:While we don't actually see the Doctor tying the bowtie, from the action, it looks like the Doctor is supposed to have tied the bowtie himself. However, for continuity reasons*, ties used in television and film are often clipped on in order to avoid differences cropping up between takes.

* I don't mean continuity reasons referring to consistency in characterization or plot but rather visual errors that can appear between takes.

Don't care about continuity. Tie a bow tie.

It's like rule number 1 of the universe - at the expense of all else, under any circumstance, a man should tie his own bow tie. Or at the very least, there must be some alternative which doesn't look so completely fake and still does the job...

Robstickle
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:07 am UTC

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Robstickle » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:47 am UTC

Spoiler:
Did anyone else notice that one of the Daleks had the Union Jack on it?

MysteryBall
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:47 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Who

Postby MysteryBall » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:07 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
Spoiler:
But they really need to stop bringing the Daleks and/or Cybermen back every god-damned series.


Reply:
Spoiler:
Because they're pretty much the most loved enemies, and to be honest I'd rather detest it if they didn't come back, I've always been a big fan of them.


Spoiler:
Also, lrn2spoiler


Unrelated Thoughts:
Spoiler:
Not sure if I'll like this series as much as normal, by the looks of the trailer it's heavy past stuff, and I always prefer the present/future stuff much more. :< Or maybe the trailer was just biased, probably was since they don't normally show more than a few episodes ahead.

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby no-genius » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:Don't care about continuity. Tie a bow tie.

I care about continuity. Don't want his bow tie jumping around the place. The only bit that annoyed me was I didn't see where he picked it up, seeing as when he was choosing he only had normal ties.

Macbi wrote:I got reminded of Hitchhiker's as well, but for a completely different reason:
Spoiler:
The Doctor waving around his sonic screwdriver to atract the aliens attention was a lot like Ford trying to hitch a ride from the Vogons with his electronic sub-etha signalling thumb. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jovd8ve4wbo#t=4m21s


So glad you were linking to the 'good' hitchhikers. And that douglas adams thing looks interesting
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:
Nebuduck wrote:Don't care about continuity. Tie a bow tie.

I care about continuity. Don't want his bow tie jumping around the place. The only bit that annoyed me was I didn't see where he picked it up, seeing as when he was choosing he only had normal ties.


He probably just used his sonic screwdriver on a regular tie to turn it into a bowtie.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Dave_Wise
Posts: 698
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm UTC
Location: Wales. Explaining much.
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Dave_Wise » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:34 pm UTC

I think the sonic screwdriver must work by generating a small, focused universal disbelief suspension field so strong that it effects the physical universe.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
Posts: 3307
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: Doctor Who

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

I actually really liked the first episode of the new series. I really liked the way the new companion channeled Donna Noble's sharp tongue while still maintaining an obvious eagerness to get out and do amazing things.

My establishing moment for the new Doctor: "I am DEFINITELY a madman with a box!" I feel like Matt Smith, far from going emo-Tennant or sparkly-vampire with the role, has taken the Doctor back to his roots as a time-traveling mad scientist or, mythically speaking, dangerous but friendly fae. The line about definitely never saying "who da man?" ever again actually seemed like a dig at Tennant's god/superhero complex.

Seriously, go back and watch Nine and Ten's intro episodes after "The Eleventh Hour", and you'll realize just how good it really was.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

User avatar
Dave_Wise
Posts: 698
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm UTC
Location: Wales. Explaining much.
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Dave_Wise » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:53 pm UTC

Is it me or is the new interior of the tardis mildly... I dunno... 'steampunk'?
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

User avatar
EmilyR
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:36 pm UTC
Location: London

Re: Doctor Who

Postby EmilyR » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:12 pm UTC

Michael's description of the ep was that it was about "Amy's legs, then the rest of Amy, then some other stuff" :)

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Whelan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

I just realised I dreamed about that episode last night.

Spoiler:
In my version, the Doctor just skewered prisoner 0 with a large fork while he was cuffed to the radiator. I prefer that plan to his, personally.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
Mother Superior
Better than tea
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 am UTC
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

I am now cautiously... no, actually, I am more than cautiously optimistic about this show. Matt Smith did grab me immideately, much more so than Tennant or Eccleston (even though I love Eccleston). He seems to be much less annoying than Tennant, and more Doctor-y than Eccleston. I was very glad to see him being so rude at times, hope that's a trait he'll continue to have. And yes- definitely the best first-doctor episode of the new series so far.

Spoiler:
And I thought he did a wonderful job channeling Tennant during the fish finger scene. Very good. Now never do that again and the show is bound for great things.


Spoiler:
Because they're pretty much the most loved enemies, and to be honest I'd rather detest it if they didn't come back, I've always been a big fan of them.


Spoiler:
They can come back, absolutely, but either have them back permanently, or stop having them all together. This annoying "Oooh, they came back again and were completely annihilated again" is getting extremely old. Even if they did come back permanently, less is more, and especially so with the Daleks. Once a season is frankly, too often. Give 'em a two-parter every other series, that'd be fine. But I read that Moffat wanted to do a Dalek-free first season but BBC intervened, so I have high hopes.


*EDIT
Spoiler:
New TARDIS interior looks awesome. It has stairs and doors that lead somewhere! Woo!
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Doctor Who

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:29 pm UTC

I definitely like the new Tardis. Steampunk beats Coral any day. :mrgreen:
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Robstickle
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:07 am UTC

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Robstickle » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:45 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I don't mind them bringing the daleks or the cybermen or whatever back but I wish they would wait a season or two. It would make their return a bit more exciting. I imagine that we won't see The Master for a couple more seasons at least though.


I wonder if we'll get to see a bit more than the control room this time around. From what The Doctor says it sounds like he doesn't know his way around yet so Moffat could make a good story out of that. Perhaps use those Witch things from the Shakespeare episode.

User avatar
Link
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am UTC
Location: ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Link » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I definitely like the new Tardis. Steampunk beats Coral any day. :mrgreen:

I am slightly disappointed we've yet to see the Leopard Skin TARDIS theme. Steampunk does look good though!

User avatar
animeHrmIne
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:33 pm UTC
Location: Missouri, USA, Sol III

Re: Doctor Who

Postby animeHrmIne » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:37 am UTC

I don't know how I feel about the new series yet. Amy is gorgeous, definitely, and I absolutely love her accent, and her town. I hope they have her come back more than just for the end-of-the-episode twist, because it was really awesome that the whole town knew what the Doctor looked like before the Doctor knew what he looked like.

My defining moment was definitely "I'm the Doctor. I'm worse than everyone's aunt."

Also, from the trailer,
Spoiler:
The city of Angels absolutely terrified me. And I'm the one who thought that Blink was "cute."
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

frostkiki
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:27 am UTC

Re: Doctor Who

Postby frostkiki » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:40 am UTC

I feel like the new doctor needs time, i didn't like tennant for a series or two but he grew on me, maybe i'll get over this new kids chin.
An amused "hmmm" always is fun when an angsty teen walks by

Mo0man
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:46 am UTC
Location: 2 weeks ago

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Mo0man » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:18 am UTC

Spoiler:
I bet Amy is totally, totally the crack in time. Doctor was the weird oscillating one. Amy's wave was the same crack!

Spoiler:
Also, she didn't look away when he was changing. And was obsessed with him for years and years
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

User avatar
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time
Posts: 4221
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby no-genius » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:33 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
Spoiler:
Because they're pretty much the most loved enemies, and to be honest I'd rather detest it if they didn't come back, I've always been a big fan of them.


Spoiler:
They can come back, absolutely, but either have them back permanently, or stop having them all together. This annoying "Oooh, they came back again and were completely annihilated again" is getting extremely old. Even if they did come back permanently, less is more, and especially so with the Daleks. Once a season is frankly, too often. Give 'em a two-parter every other series, that'd be fine. But I read that Moffat wanted to do a Dalek-free first season but BBC intervened, so I have high hopes.

Spoiler:
They could do a Krikkit-style time-seal thingy. Or they should just not do it at all, because it would be a fuckton of stupid to not destroy them.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:00 pm UTC

Spoiler:
We don't really know what Handy did at the end of Season 4, do we? I mean, It's possible the bomb he set off killed all Daleks nearby, or all Daleks in that area. It's not quite as "definitely, finally dead" as we've seen in the past, since the Daleks were clearly loose on the universe for significant amounts of, uh, "time", and it wouldn't be too much of an ass pull to say "well, these ones were off doing something else". Less of an ass pull than "Oh look, one more of them actually DID survive the Time War!" Or, of course, there's always the chance that they'll invoke the transportation of Gallifrey to bring all that stuff in.

Point is, I LIKE the Daleks and I LIKE the Cyberman, and obviously they can only go so long without them. Like someone else said, the important thing is for them to not be defeated so permanently every time.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.


Return to “Movies and TV Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests