Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sugarhyped

Re: Doctor Who

Postby sugarhyped » Sun May 30, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:The ring will be important later. Calling it now.

ha. called it last episode when rory went to pit it back in the tardis.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

sanguine

Postby sanguine » Mon May 31, 2010 8:56 am UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, Rory's death/erasure was far too random to be permanent. I mean, wtf - the character had just started to actually go somewhere. Also it would be a cheap cop-out pandering to all the Amy/11 shippers.

Off the top of my head:
- So the scientist turned out to be a Good Guy, and suddenly nobody mentions him dissecting that bloke without an anastetic anymore.
- I'd always thought Ambrose is a male name.
- general WTFness, most of it addressed by previous posters already.
"Oh, no. We're not trapped in here with them. They're trapped in here with Jenkins." "What's a Jenkins?" "Jenkins is... well, he's on our side. You'll come to appreciate that."

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Mon May 31, 2010 1:50 pm UTC

sanguine wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, Rory's death/erasure was far too random to be permanent. I mean, wtf - the character had just started to actually go somewhere. Also it would be a cheap cop-out pandering to all the Amy/11 shippers.

Off the top of my head:
- So the scientist turned out to be a Good Guy, and suddenly nobody mentions him dissecting that bloke without an anastetic anymore.
- I'd always thought Ambrose is a male name.
- general WTFness, most of it addressed by previous posters already.

Spoiler:
To be fair the vivisection didn't actually kill the subjects, or as far as we can see do any permanent damage. But yeah a bit of a dick move, although nothing that human scientists haven't probably done.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon May 31, 2010 2:17 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Well I can't remember whether it was stated if it was painful or not, so it wasn't necessarily without anaesthetic. Just not with a general anaesthetic.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Mon May 31, 2010 2:26 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
Spoiler:
Well I can't remember whether it was stated if it was painful or not, so it wasn't necessarily without anaesthetic. Just not with a general anaesthetic.

Spoiler:
From the way they were screaming...Although that may well have been "OH shit what's he doing" rather than pain.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon May 31, 2010 2:57 pm UTC

Daojia wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:
Spoiler:
Though I do think that what's-her-name the torturer ought to have been given to the Silurians. I mean, for God's sake, that's not just not the best of humanity, it was pretty damn bad. She tortured a hostage for information that didn't necessarily exist, did it amateurishly, and then tried to cover up the fact that her hostage died under the torture! WTF, anti-heroine?

Spoiler:
We spent most of the episode trashtalking her. When the Doctor sent her off to her son with the instructions to teach him how she failed, we came to the conclusion that she'd probably fail at that, too. Who lets their son go running around during an invasion? Bloody Welsh. And poor Rory.

Spoiler:
The kid has quite the difficult life ahead of him. He knows his mother's a murderer, partially responsible for him never seeing his grandfather again, and almost wholly responsible for delaying interspecies cooperation by a millenium. His respect for her as a parent and arbiter or morality and fairness is going to be seriously impeded after that. Plus, he looked so serious about the idea of spreading knowledge of the Silurians - won't it be fun, spending years as a child telling people about imaginary people under the earth being real?
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon May 31, 2010 4:04 pm UTC

I read something once about for every problem the Doctor fixes, he leaves something else behind broken. Food for thought.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon May 31, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

Spoiler:
So this is where the Reptilian conspiracy theories originated!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon May 31, 2010 6:49 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I read something once about for every problem the Doctor fixes, he leaves something else behind broken. Food for thought.

So he's kind of like Robocop?
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:11 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:
Daojia wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:
Spoiler:
Though I do think that what's-her-name the torturer ought to have been given to the Silurians. I mean, for God's sake, that's not just not the best of humanity, it was pretty damn bad. She tortured a hostage for information that didn't necessarily exist, did it amateurishly, and then tried to cover up the fact that her hostage died under the torture! WTF, anti-heroine?

Spoiler:
We spent most of the episode trashtalking her. When the Doctor sent her off to her son with the instructions to teach him how she failed, we came to the conclusion that she'd probably fail at that, too. Who lets their son go running around during an invasion? Bloody Welsh. And poor Rory.

Spoiler:
The kid has quite the difficult life ahead of him. He knows his mother's a murderer, partially responsible for him never seeing his grandfather again, and almost wholly responsible for delaying interspecies cooperation by a millenium. His respect for her as a parent and arbiter or morality and fairness is going to be seriously impeded after that. Plus, he looked so serious about the idea of spreading knowledge of the Silurians - won't it be fun, spending years as a child telling people about imaginary people under the earth being real?
Spoiler:
Since he was frozen in the thing, is it possible that the reason he's given the task of prophesying about the silurians is because his rate of aging is still one millionth normal speed?
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:18 am UTC

Rory's getting pegged with the timey-wimey ball was total Jossage.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:00 am UTC

Spoiler:
aleflamedyud wrote:Rory's getting pegged with the timey-wimey ball was total Jossage.

Spoiler:
Naw. Jossage usually involves the significant others dying permanently. Moffatt is too much of a bleeding heart to let that happen; my money says the eventual closing of the crack will do immensely reset-esque things to the characters' respective timelines.
"You dicked up the negotiations by taseing an unarmed bound prisoner to death! I'll go to bed when I feel like it." - Best guilt trip ammunition ever.
Sapere aude.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:24 am UTC

Spoiler:
I disagree that Rory's return will be via a "reset" of any sort. There were TARDIS fragments in the world he was sucked into, so it's not the oblivion one. It's been said before that some lead places, some led nowhere. I think it's much more likely that the Doctor and Amy will visit the site of the explosion in person, and something will happen with Rory there.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:21 pm UTC

Lethbridge-Stewart has a page on facebook, with 150 or so people liking him. There's hope for humanity still.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:24 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, in the latest episode I honestly thought that the Silurian they took hostage was just faking death. The tasing didn't look deadly at all! Aside from that, didn't mind it.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:08 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, in the latest episode I honestly thought that the Silurian they took hostage was just faking death. The tasing didn't look deadly at all! Aside from that, didn't mind it.
Spoiler:
Tasers might be more deadly against Silurians, though, if they're reptilian. (Or maybe they can commit suicide by releasing toxins into their system, or something?)

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:05 am UTC

Spoiler:
Tasers have killed people in police custody. There's a reason Amnesty International considers them Not Cool.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:28 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Spoiler:
Tasers have killed people in police custody. There's a reason Amnesty International considers them Not Cool.

Spoiler:
Generally, these people have pre-existing heart conditions or are otherwise seriously unfit though. Somehow, I doubt a Lizard bred to be a warrior is going to have a weak heart.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:51 am UTC

Spoiler:
Right, I'm just saying. She was tased more than necessary and is working on a pretty different biology. For Doctor Who, that's extremely believable.

Well. You heard him.

frostkiki

Postby frostkiki » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:18 am UTC

Spoiler:
the tardis exists in another dimension on the inside, so if the outside exploded wouldn't that release the inner dimension or at least damage the outer one (ours) to the point of causing bleed throughs to the inner tardis dimension? also, Rory probably was forgotten because his philotic connections were severed, on the same line through the cracks is probably the no "where" philote dimension.
An amused "hmmm" always is fun when an angsty teen walks by

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:36 am UTC

Philotic? :?:

beyondweird

Postby beyondweird » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:54 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:Philotic? :?:

The only thing I can think of is the Ender's Game series (Children of the Mind and all that...)
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

Yeah, I think that's what he meant. It's, uh, not a concept that has appeared in Doctor Who to my knowledge.

Well. You heard him.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:38 pm UTC

Could you describe the concept?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

It's like "psychotic" except instead of being mad, your name is Phil.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

t-note

Postby t-note » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:49 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Personally I think amy/emily is acting more like the doctor than the new doctor. so far it seems like she is saving him, and not the other way around. They really are playing that up way too much, as well as her hinted-at unrequited love with the doctor. Example; the star whale episode. Seriously- he could only think of 2 choices? Where's that signature doctor-thinks-outside-the-box stuff? and why the kissing thing so early in the flipping season? At least with rose they built up to it. which, speaking of the rose/doctor thing, I still feel kind of gypped how they ended that. It was totally not cool with me.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:00 pm UTC

Spoiler:
She kissed him out of lust, not love. She was riding around in a magic box with a man she's been fantasising about since she was a little girl. I don't see a problem in the narrative.
Ⓞⓞ◯

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:41 pm UTC

Spoiler:
it was more like 'yay! I didn't die! let's have sex!'. And also very, very funny.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Persephonethinx

Postby Persephonethinx » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:03 pm UTC

The Doctor has always been saved by his companions on occasion, even in the original series. What would be the point of having companions if the Doctor always came up with the clever solution and saved the day? Also the most respected and well-liked companions are the ones who didn't just get captured and scream all the time. Compare Sarah Jane and Ace to Peri and Mel.

The way I see it, the Doctor solves the complicated wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey problems while the companion uses the emotional angle to see solutions that he may miss.
"The Universe is big and it's vast and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..." -The Eleventh Doctor

nickiyoung

Postby nickiyoung » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

I don't know how the rest of you feel, but this latest Dr Who doesn't have as much guts in him. What I mean is when we had CE and DT, there was at least some bite to the character. I find myself watching these latest episodes and my mind wanders, rather than actually getting into it. Whether or not it's the writing or the acting...

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:55 pm UTC

The new doctor feels more whimsical, more calm and sedate. Like an explorer, curious about what he'll find.
Ⓞⓞ◯

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:04 pm UTC

It's because he's getting over the effects of the things he did to end the time war. 8th was almost broken by it, and (in a nice piece of fanon I read) hadn't even had the guts to look himself in the mirror before the first episode.

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

nickiyoung wrote:I don't know how the rest of you feel, but this latest Dr Who doesn't have as much guts in him. What I mean is when we had CE and DT, there was at least some bite to the character. I find myself watching these latest episodes and my mind wanders, rather than actually getting into it. Whether or not it's the writing or the acting...

You'd not have much gut and be a bit frail if you'd just sent your entire species to die too.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

Cue wrote:
nickiyoung wrote:I don't know how the rest of you feel, but this latest Dr Who doesn't have as much guts in him. What I mean is when we had CE and DT, there was at least some bite to the character. I find myself watching these latest episodes and my mind wanders, rather than actually getting into it. Whether or not it's the writing or the acting...

You'd not have much gut and be a bit frail if you'd just sent your entire species to die too.

He didn't say 9 or 10 had that problem but 11.
Anyways I like this Doctor I just wanted to point that out.

About the newest episode with Van Gogh. Do all Brits pronounce his name Goth?
I thought it was good except all the Vincent praise got a bit annoying.
Spoiler:
The Doctor putting away the screwdriver was awesome.
I'm happy Rory wasn't just forgotten by the Doctor, there was some reference to him.
The episode had a weird vibe to it though... It was more about Van Gogh than the monster. I didn't mind that the monster was invisible though. (A pre-response to people complaining about budget cuts.)

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:58 pm UTC

I really liked this episode, Van Gogh's character had some groovy development.
And no, surprisingly, not every single English person pronounces a name the same way.
Ⓞⓞ◯

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

I greatly prefer Matt Smith to Tennant and Eccleston. They didn't really feel like the older doctors, especially not Tennant. But Smith feels a great deal like the more eccentric original doctors, say Tom Baker and Sylvester McCoy.

Also, on supposed budget cuts and so on: To paraphrase the Douglas Adams, anyone can design a visible monster, but an invisible monster takes imagination.
Last edited by You, sir, name? on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:02 pm UTC

Has anyone else tried the game they plugged at the end? I tried it but this laptop isn't really up to scratch.
Weeks wrote:

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:10 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:Has anyone else tried the game they plugged at the end? I tried it but this laptop isn't really up to scratch.

I'm in the states and on a mac so I doubt I'll get to play it. :(

So far Matt Smith has been my favorite Doctor as well but I am not sure how much Amy is influencing my preference. They split up a bit and he is pretty good.

Persephonethinx

Postby Persephonethinx » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:20 pm UTC

I have to say I rather liked Vincent and the Doctor.
Spoiler:
The monster was forgettable, but it wasn't the focus of the episode. As for Van Gogh, I liked how it focused on his emotional and psychological problems, but didn't dwell on them, so it stayed poignant. The Taking Van Gogh to the Museum scene was a bit much with that godawful song in the background, but not too bad. I still smiled.

A nice break from the fast, 20 minutes to save the world episodes that have made up most of the season.
"The Universe is big and it's vast and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..." -The Eleventh Doctor

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:27 pm UTC

Wow.

I almost cried at the end of this one.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”