Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Rakysh

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I got the impression that the Daleks and slitheen and so forth were there to combat whatever was in the Pandoricon or whatevs. I liked the ep, I was amazed that James Corden could actually be charming and slightly understated.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:
Spoiler:
One of the funniest episodes in ages, I loved it. Did anyone notice Van Gogh on the fridge though? Also, there's a disagreement in our house as to whether Amy finding the one ring reminded her of Rory or made her think that the Doctor wants to propose. By the way, is there any Who poison that's not cured with tea? 10's regen, arsenic and now that mould. Tannin must be powerful stuff.

Spoiler:
I saw the Van Gogh flyer.

Also, the doctor described himself as the 11th so we now know that there were no regenerations during the time war (other than the one seen in the TV film and the one implied by Christopher Eccleston appearing in the new series) or before Hartnell.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

Wild theory time:
Spoiler:
Pandorica, contents of:
  • One TARDIS
  • One Doctor from an alternate dimension where he didn't end the time war, rather continued to fight till he was as mad and bad as the Lord President was.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:39 pm UTC

Kulantan wrote:Wild theory time:
Spoiler:
Pandorica, contents of:
  • One TARDIS
  • One Doctor from an alternate dimension where he didn't end the time war, rather continued to fight till he was as mad and bad as the Lord President was.

Spoiler:
In reference to the last point, I posit that he will look like the Dream Lord and call hisself the Valeyard.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Link

Postby Link » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:56 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The footy scene was cool. Then I remembered reading Matt Smith once wanted to be a football player, and it was even cooler.

As for the attempt to build a TARDIS, it really makes me think a Time Lord other than the Doctor and the Master survived the Time War (possibly the Rani or even Morbius, or, indeed, the Valeyard), and is now trying to conquer the universe or whatnot. Considering TARDISes are a rather complex way of time travel compared to, say, vortex manipulators, I'd put trying to build one beyond any species except Time Lords and maybe the Daleks, if simply because most species lack the necessary combination of capability and megalomania.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:49 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Pandorica, contents of:
  • One TARDIS

More shotgun guessing:
Spoiler:
  • Omega
  • The Black Guardian
  • Davros
  • The master, the rani, the valeyard
  • The timelords
  • The timelord/dalek war
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I think that inside the large scary box is...............

..........another box!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:54 pm UTC

keozen wrote:
Spoiler:
I think that inside the large scary box is...............

..........another box!

Spoiler:
Been done. Logopolis, I think. When the Tardis materialized inside of itself.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:37 am UTC

Spoiler:
Pandorica, contents of:
  • One TARDIS
Spoiler:
My guess:
Combination of where the things absorbed by the crack go and some huge evil whatsit. Possibly some huge evil whatsit that's been absorbed by the crack

Though, frankly, having that entire city worth of Angels coming out would be scary enough. Can they just send the entire population of the planet back in time, then repeat when everyone trudges back to the present day?

An amazing scene that I would really love to see is the Doctor getting near the Pandorica, panicking like crazy, assorted monsters at his heels, it starts opening! Smoke issues from the opening, gears turn ominously, light bursting from everywhere. The Doctor raises an arm to cover his eyes, screwdriver buzzing wildly at the crack. Suddenly, a rather confused Rory steps out. "Er, hello. God, it was freezing in there. Anybody got some tea?"

Then there can be all the nasty monster-running-away-from and whatever.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Persephonethinx

Postby Persephonethinx » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:17 am UTC

Continuing wild theory time
Spoiler:
What if the Pandorica is not a prison, but a sealed gateway to the antimatter universe, like the Arc of Infinity? And the cracks are from Omega trying his damnedest to climb out?

Jeesh, if someone would just give him a hand (sorry) we wouldn't be having these crack problems in the first place.

On the episode:
Spoiler:
It was alright. The one thing that bothered me was the Doctor's behavior. Ok I get it, he's an alien, but how many centuries has he spent on or around Earth? Surely he would've picked up how to not be too weird by now especially since he spent the entirety of 3's tenure ON EARTH with the Brig. I suppose they were playing it up for comedy, but it got ridiculous at times.
"The Universe is big and it's vast and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..." -The Eleventh Doctor

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:41 am UTC

Spoiler:
I don't know... I think whenever he's on earth he's saving the planet, not playing football or whatever.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:53 am UTC

Rakysh wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't know... I think whenever he's on earth he's saving the planet, not playing football or whatever.

Spoiler:
Or being a vaguely stuffy-professor type rather than one of the lads havin' a couple o' cans.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:12 pm UTC

I can't be the only one who saw this...

Spoiler:

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:42 pm UTC

Persephonethinx wrote:Continuing wild theory time
Spoiler:
What if the Pandorica is not a prison, but a sealed gateway to the antimatter universe, like the Arc of Infinity? And the cracks are from Omega trying his damnedest to climb out?

Jeesh, if someone would just give him a hand (sorry) we wouldn't be having these crack problems in the first place.

Spoiler:
Another theory from the "It's something from an earlier serial"-department would be the Fendahl. I mean, The Fendahl is scary enough to be a boogyman in Galifreyan mythology. That has to count for something.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:51 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The last thing left in Pandora's box was hope, and hasn't the Doctor called himself earth's last hope before now? Or something to that effect...Thinking about it the year that wasn't was him becoming the hope of all Earth's people. So! on that ramble I suggest the Doctor will find himself in the pandorica, after all the nasties come out.
Weeks wrote:

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:59 pm UTC

Cue wrote:I can't be the only one who saw this...

Spoiler:

er, what am I supposed to be seeing? :?

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:02 pm UTC

It's the same sort of interface.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:21 pm UTC

oh, I see, I think the contrast on my monitor made the bottom pic hard to make out.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:40 pm UTC

it took me a while to realize he was just comparing the two and not that there was actually a dalek hand in the episode.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The ship clearly wasn't of Dalek design, though. They do flying saucers.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Spoiler:
The ship clearly wasn't of Dalek design, though. They do flying saucers.

Spoiler:
...Why do Daleks want our cows? And have we ever seen a TARDIS without an active (If stuck) Chameleon circuit? It might be that the shape is necessary.
Weeks wrote:

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:24 am UTC

Spoiler:
"The most feared being in the universe"? Totally the Doctor, somehow.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:59 am UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, that was my idea as well. He also caused the death of billions of creatures, or whatever the exact line was

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:42 am UTC

Spoiler:
I don't know, I wonder if the Pandorica might contain another rogue Time Lord, one even more dangerous than the Master. Second choice would be some kind of super Dalek, if not that then maybe something entirely new.

On the episode:
Spoiler:
I wasn't very impressed by this one, I didn't laugh at the bits that were supposed to be comedy. The idea of something at the top of the stairs was a good one and was handled quite well, but the old "love saves the day" resolution? Not a good way to defuse the danger. Plus, it doesn't matter that they've found love because one of those space-time cracks that can erase people from existence popped up in their wall at the end.
And another thing - how come the Doctor still has Rory's ring? If Rory was erased from history, that ring should still be in the shop because he never bought it to leave in the TARDIS.
So... yeah. I'm looking forward to the finale though, that looks like it should be good.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

sanguine

Postby sanguine » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:01 am UTC

The ring was in the Tardis, whose timey-wimey field saved it from being erased.

I quite liked the episode.
Spoiler:
Kept suspecting the cat to play a far more major role.
"Oh, no. We're not trapped in here with them. They're trapped in here with Jenkins." "What's a Jenkins?" "Jenkins is... well, he's on our side. You'll come to appreciate that."

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:03 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:
Spoiler:
how come the Doctor still has Rory's ring?

Spoiler:
I'm not sure but it could have something to do with the either the Doctor being a time traveller (which allowed him to remember the clerics who got sucked into the crack), Rory being a time traveller or the ring not falling in (or a combination of any or all of the above).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:52 pm UTC

I think Sanguine probably has it right and it's a timey wimey effect.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

In that doctor who game they were plugging on the BBC website, it's explained that the TARDIS protects its occupants even when time changes in such a way that they should no longer exist.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:54 pm UTC

Awww, it's so cute. Like a mother hen.
Ⓞⓞ◯

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:57 pm UTC

It's not perfect protection though - it seems to wear off.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:21 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Not all cracks erase people. Not every crack seen at the end of the episode meant none of it ever happened. The very first crack we saw was described as "Two parts of time and space that should never have touched" and it lead to a prison. Just because we saw one that lead to the fires before the universe does not mean they all do, and both the ones that did eat people were opened up; the Angels were opening it to have tea, and The Doctor stuck his arm in before it ate Rory.
Weeks wrote:

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

Yeah, why does everyone keep making that mistake?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Persephonethinx

Postby Persephonethinx » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:11 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Yeah, why does everyone keep making that mistake?

It's more dramatic when people get erased from time, so more focus is given to those cracks. With the other cracks, everyone's like "eh they just jumped through to another space and time" as opposed to YOU WILL NEVER HAVE LIVED AT ALL! *dun dun DUNNN*

So yeah people are bound to forget.
"The Universe is big and it's vast and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..." -The Eleventh Doctor

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

The chick in Vampires of Venice gave a pretty specific debunking of the notion, however, as they came to Earth via crack.

Well. You heard him.

spupy

Postby spupy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:13 am UTC

DO NOT OPEN THE WIKIPEDIA PAGES ON THE LAST TWO EPISODES!
They contain nasty spoilers, especially the second part ("The Big Bang").
Goddamnit. Whoever wrote that page and whoever wrote the episode guide that is quoted in the article are idiots.
Spoiler:
I know you will open the wikipedia page... I warned you!
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:26 am UTC

There wasn't much spoiler worthy there... I'm a little disappointed :P
Ⓞⓞ◯

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:28 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:In that doctor who game they were plugging on the BBC website, it's explained that the TARDIS protects its occupants even when time changes in such a way that they should no longer exist.

Amy was inside the TARDIS when she was forgetting, though... I guess memories don't count for that rule?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:30 am UTC

spupy wrote:DO NOT OPEN THE WIKIPEDIA PAGES ON THE LAST TWO EPISODES!
They contain nasty spoilers, especially the second part ("The Big Bang").
Goddamnit. Whoever wrote that page and whoever wrote the episode guide that is quoted in the article are idiots.
Spoiler:
I know you will open the wikipedia page... I warned you!

thanks i actually wont go there...

i accidentally read that rory got eaten by the crack and was expecting it all episode.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:48 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:There wasn't much spoiler worthy there... I'm a little disappointed :P

They may have removed whatever it was.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:49 am UTC

Spoiler:
The ring was also in the Doctor's pockets. Besides being a Timey-Wimey Lord, his pockets are "bigger on the inside", which is twice as weird.

Well. You heard him.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”