Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Doctor Who

Postby ConMan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:29 am UTC

Given everything else he did in that state (fish custard!) it's entirely possible that it was just part of the craziness. But I suspect the writers are trying to avoid ruling out the possibility.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

User avatar
Persephonethinx
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 4:10 am UTC
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Persephonethinx » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:53 am UTC

Knowing Doctor Who and how it views canon (nonexistent), the writers will write around anything if they have to...

On another note, what are everyone's thoughts on the upcoming Christmas special (or at least from what we've seen from the trailer)?

Spoiler:
I, for one, love the Christmas Carol idea. It's my favorite Christmas story, and I'm a bit of Charles Dickens fangirl. It looks dark, atmospheric, and a bit scary.

I'm not so sure about the flying shark. I mean, WTF?
"The Universe is big and it's vast and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..." -The Eleventh Doctor

User avatar
axilog14
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:20 am UTC
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: Doctor Who

Postby axilog14 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

I laughed out loud when they revealed the
Spoiler:
honeymoon suite
bit in the previews. Somehow seemed both hysterical and TMI for me. :lol:

SPOILER ALERT: There's some more preview clips of the Christmas Special here. I think I've seen more than enough footage to roughly piece together the meat of the plot though. At best this hopefully wouldn't be as big a "downer" Christmas Special as Voyage Of The Damned was.

There's also a hilarious video floating around of Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill singing "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" together. Normally I'm not a fan of Christmas carols, but I couldn't stop grinning like a happy gooey little munchkin while watching that clip.
"Yes, my life is pathetic. But I still prefer it to the alternative!"

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:05 pm UTC

axilog14 wrote:There's also a hilarious video floating around of Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill singing "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" together. Normally I'm not a fan of Christmas carols, but I couldn't stop grinning like a happy gooey little munchkin while watching that clip.


That was pretty hilarious.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:31 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby keozen » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:19 am UTC

As we're now on the "countdown" to the christmas special in just a few days I thought I'd post another type of countdown for you all:
Image
Image

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Xeio » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

keozen wrote:As we're now on the "countdown" to the christmas special in just a few days I thought I'd post another type of countdown for you all:
In other news, apparently it's going to be on BBC America the same day! Woo.

And I'll be home, where my family has cable, so instead of spending family time I can watch Doctor Who. :mrgreen:

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

An impressive assortment of doctors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE4fqrHT7kM
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Triangle_Man
WINNING
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: CANADA

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Triangle_Man » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:42 am UTC

Now that video brought a smile to my face. Excellent choreography!
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
keozen wrote:As we're now on the "countdown" to the christmas special in just a few days I thought I'd post another type of countdown for you all:
In other news, apparently it's going to be on BBC America the same day! Woo.

If only the rest of the series would work that way.

Or for that matter, any show they put on BBC America.

*sigh* I'd pay more to actually get to watch the real BBC here in America.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

Fridge Logic in X-mas episode:
Spoiler:
Good thing that shark lingered for 60 years.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Whelan » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Fridge Logic in X-mas episode:
Spoiler:
Good thing that shark lingered for 60 years.

Spoiler:
All that could have been avoided if she'd just said what the number was, or if the idiot savant there had figured it out like everyone in my family did.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Fridge Logic in X-mas episode:
Spoiler:
Good thing that shark lingered for 60 years.

Spoiler:
All that could have been avoided if she'd just said what the number was, or if the idiot savant there had figured it out like everyone in my family did.


Spoiler:
Assuming they didn't notice it decreasing, I can kinda buy it. I'm more interested in how she ended up there in the first place. Did the machine cut her life down to 8 days? Otherwise, I'd assumed Ebeneezer Gambon Sr. would have charged people to store their sick in his freezer, which doesn't add up with her family being poor. Of course, they could have put her there by lending money, but then they'd be rich...?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Whelan » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Whelan wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Fridge Logic in X-mas episode:
Spoiler:
Good thing that shark lingered for 60 years.

Spoiler:
All that could have been avoided if she'd just said what the number was, or if the idiot savant there had figured it out like everyone in my family did.


Spoiler:
Assuming they didn't notice it decreasing, I can kinda buy it. I'm more interested in how she ended up there in the first place. Did the machine cut her life down to 8 days? Otherwise, I'd assumed Ebeneezer Gambon Sr. would have charged people to store their sick in his freezer, which doesn't add up with her family being poor. Of course, they could have put her there by lending money, but then they'd be rich...?

Spoiler:
She knew she was dying, which was why she volunteered to be collateral for the loan. The point remains "What's this number?" "Aren't you a doctor? It's about me not the fish" is something of a glaring clue. Still no reason for her not to say "Excuse me, time traveller, does *disease* ever get cured?"
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:
Whelan wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Fridge Logic in X-mas episode:
Spoiler:
Good thing that shark lingered for 60 years.

Spoiler:
All that could have been avoided if she'd just said what the number was, or if the idiot savant there had figured it out like everyone in my family did.


Spoiler:
Assuming they didn't notice it decreasing, I can kinda buy it. I'm more interested in how she ended up there in the first place. Did the machine cut her life down to 8 days? Otherwise, I'd assumed Ebeneezer Gambon Sr. would have charged people to store their sick in his freezer, which doesn't add up with her family being poor. Of course, they could have put her there by lending money, but then they'd be rich...?

Spoiler:
She knew she was dying, which was why she volunteered to be collateral for the loan. The point remains "What's this number?" "Aren't you a doctor? It's about me not the fish" is something of a glaring clue. Still no reason for her not to say "Excuse me, time traveller, does *disease* ever get cured?"

Spoiler:
Indeed. She's pretty crappy collateral, though. If they ever repay the loan, she'll die. And Ebeneezer Gambon Sr. clearly knows this, as she had the counter mounted on her freeze box. Not sure why the other freezers had counters, though. Are only people with relatives about to die allowed to loan money? Also, symptomless illness that causes absolutely certain death in N days.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Whelan » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:37 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Whelan wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:
Whelan wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Fridge Logic in X-mas episode:
Spoiler:
Good thing that shark lingered for 60 years.

Spoiler:
All that could have been avoided if she'd just said what the number was, or if the idiot savant there had figured it out like everyone in my family did.


Spoiler:
Assuming they didn't notice it decreasing, I can kinda buy it. I'm more interested in how she ended up there in the first place. Did the machine cut her life down to 8 days? Otherwise, I'd assumed Ebeneezer Gambon Sr. would have charged people to store their sick in his freezer, which doesn't add up with her family being poor. Of course, they could have put her there by lending money, but then they'd be rich...?

Spoiler:
She knew she was dying, which was why she volunteered to be collateral for the loan. The point remains "What's this number?" "Aren't you a doctor? It's about me not the fish" is something of a glaring clue. Still no reason for her not to say "Excuse me, time traveller, does *disease* ever get cured?"

Spoiler:
Indeed. She's pretty crappy collateral, though. If they ever repay the loan, she'll die. And Ebeneezer Gambon Sr. clearly knows this, as she had the counter mounted on her freeze box. Not sure why the other freezers had counters, though. Are only people with relatives about to die allowed to loan money? Also, symptomless illness that causes absolutely certain death in N days.

Spoiler:
I think I've just solved the whole paradox; there's a system in place that means people given as collateral will only survive X amount of time outside their pod, unless the money is paid back! Explains why all the counters, explains why there's nothing she could do and no symptoms.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
Persephonethinx
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 4:10 am UTC
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Persephonethinx » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Being a Christmas special, I think it gets more of a pass in the logic department as long as it contributes to a good story (I didn't even complain about the Blinovitch Limitation effect not presenting when young!Sardick hugged old!Sardick). Personally, I thought it was best Christmas special Doctor Who's had. Fucking magnificent.
"The Universe is big and it's vast and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..." -The Eleventh Doctor

User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
Posts: 3307
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: Doctor Who

Postby aleflamedyud » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:09 am UTC

Whelan wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:
Whelan wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:
Whelan wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Fridge Logic in X-mas episode:
Spoiler:
Good thing that shark lingered for 60 years.

Spoiler:
All that could have been avoided if she'd just said what the number was, or if the idiot savant there had figured it out like everyone in my family did.


Spoiler:
Assuming they didn't notice it decreasing, I can kinda buy it. I'm more interested in how she ended up there in the first place. Did the machine cut her life down to 8 days? Otherwise, I'd assumed Ebeneezer Gambon Sr. would have charged people to store their sick in his freezer, which doesn't add up with her family being poor. Of course, they could have put her there by lending money, but then they'd be rich...?

Spoiler:
She knew she was dying, which was why she volunteered to be collateral for the loan. The point remains "What's this number?" "Aren't you a doctor? It's about me not the fish" is something of a glaring clue. Still no reason for her not to say "Excuse me, time traveller, does *disease* ever get cured?"

Spoiler:
Indeed. She's pretty crappy collateral, though. If they ever repay the loan, she'll die. And Ebeneezer Gambon Sr. clearly knows this, as she had the counter mounted on her freeze box. Not sure why the other freezers had counters, though. Are only people with relatives about to die allowed to loan money? Also, symptomless illness that causes absolutely certain death in N days.

Spoiler:
I think I've just solved the whole paradox; there's a system in place that means people given as collateral will only survive X amount of time outside their pod, unless the money is paid back! Explains why all the counters, explains why there's nothing she could do and no symptoms.

In which case we really have to ask:

Spoiler:
Why the hell couldn't Kazrin (that was it, right?) just turn off the damn disease?

The whole notion of a disease that kills you in 8 days without symptoms so that you can have your life preserved cryonically... it's something you think the Doctor would really notice and try to work on.

Also, sharks have naturally long lifespans.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

User avatar
FastLizard4
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:56 pm UTC
Location: Southern California, United States, Earth, Federation Sector 001
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby FastLizard4 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:05 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:In which case we really have to ask:
Spoiler:
Why the hell couldn't Kazrin (that was it, right?) just turn off the damn disease?

The whole notion of a disease that kills you in 8 days without symptoms so that you can have your life preserved cryonically... it's something you think the Doctor would really notice and try to work on.

Also, sharks have naturally long lifespans.


Not sure if this really needs to be in spoiler tags, but erring on the side of caution:

Spoiler:
The Doctor, as demonstrated in "The Pandorica Opens", tends to ignore subtle things like that when he's busy - he didn't draw the connection (or, rather, complete the connection) between the fact that the box is called the Pandorica and that Amy's favorite childhood story is Pandora's Box. And, I'd have to say he was a little busy when the cryonics stuff was going on.


But, as for my opinion on the episode itself, I'd have to say it's the best Christmas special so far. And I like how every Christmas special involves some sort of...

Spoiler:
...big flying spaceship!
--FastLizard4 (wikipedia userpage|website)

User avatar
keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:31 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby keozen » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:35 am UTC

Well firstly, while I think that arguing such things is silly when the episode was that good(rule of cool people) here is an explanation for the counters, etc that will make sense and allow you to simply enjoy the episode:

Spoiler:
As a system a "family member on ice" system sucks as a system of collateral as it's open to abuse. For example if we know granny is abot to pop her cloggs then why not just say our goodbyes and stick her in a freezer? As much as it's against human nature to think so every human life is worth a different amount in this sense and therefore you need a means to measure that worth. Now as we all know, the joy we get from a loved family member comes from the time we spend together with them. Therefore the currency of a family member's worth would be the potential number of days you could still spend with them, their estimated remaining lifespan. If you remember at the start of the episode the loan amount related to her did seem rather low, I suggest that this is why.

As for "why couldn't the doctor cure the disease" thing. Well, what if it was some freaky genetic thing? Some things can't be cured I'm sure. Plus, I'm sure he would have tried if he had been asked but she never did ask. She had very clearly accepted her fate and was happy with the outcome. The Doctor has a habit of helping when people are in distress but he won't necessarily help people who are content, even if their lives "could" be better.

As for the shark living 60 years. Was it a terrestrial shark? No. Different species therefore different biology and rules. A terrestrial tortoise lives over 150 years, why not a flying alien shark.


Personally I thought it was a fantastic Christmas special. Very emotive and sweet. While it played on a classic Christmas story it was far enough away from it and changed enough elements for it to work as a story in it's own right.

As for the "Coming Soon" preview of next series! O_O

I think I need to watch that again and let it settle before I comment in full.
Image

Joeldi
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:49 am UTC
Location: Central Queensland, Australia
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Joeldi » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:52 am UTC

Wibbly bloody timey wimey wobbly. My love-hate relationship with Doctor Who continues and was in full force tonight.
Next Series Trailer: Did that suggest a highly cohesive, series long arc tying in closely with the new series of Torchwood to anyone/everyone else? Fuck and Yes!
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

User avatar
Link
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am UTC
Location: ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Link » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:53 pm UTC

keozen wrote:
Spoiler:
As for "why couldn't the doctor cure the disease" thing. Well, what if it was some freaky genetic thing? Some things can't be cured I'm sure.

Spoiler:
Psh, in the Doctor Who universe, pretty much anything less severe than being shot with the De-mat Gun is curable. If you're dying, they can put your brain in a vat and build a body (or, at least, a mass of stitched-together body parts with a glorified fishbowl for a head) around it later. If you're melting away, they can store your consciousness (and your face) in a pavement tile. With the right technology, you can steal someone else's body, if needed. Heck, if you're already dead, vortex energy can bring you back to life. So it's almost certain the Doctor could have saved her if he had wanted or chosen to.


Anyway...
Spoiler:
It was a good episode in the sense that it was Christmas-y and Doctor-y, although I was slightly annoyed that the generally firmly established laws of time went out the window, with no ill effects. The fact that the Doctor immediately went as far as to travel into the past for the purpose of changing the present was unexpected to begin with (although understandable), but historically, this degree of interfering would usually produce some (possibly rather nasty) side-effects, ranging from the Blinovitch Limitation Effect to the summoning of Reapers to sterilise the planet.

Other than that, great episode! Loved the honeymoon suite cosplay bit, especially.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby phlip » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:10 pm UTC

Link wrote:
Spoiler:
I was slightly annoyed that the generally firmly established laws of time went out the window, with no ill effects.

Spoiler:
So, in other words, it was completely in keeping with the Doctor Who tradition...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:30 pm UTC

keozen wrote:Well firstly, while I think that arguing such things is silly when the episode was that good(rule of cool people) here is an explanation for the counters, etc that will make sense and allow you to simply enjoy the episode:

Spoiler:
As a system a "family member on ice" system sucks as a system of collateral as it's open to abuse. For example if we know granny is abot to pop her cloggs then why not just say our goodbyes and stick her in a freezer? As much as it's against human nature to think so every human life is worth a different amount in this sense and therefore you need a means to measure that worth. Now as we all know, the joy we get from a loved family member comes from the time we spend together with them. Therefore the currency of a family member's worth would be the potential number of days you could still spend with them, their estimated remaining lifespan. If you remember at the start of the episode the loan amount related to her did seem rather low, I suggest that this is why.

As for "why couldn't the doctor cure the disease" thing. Well, what if it was some freaky genetic thing? Some things can't be cured I'm sure. Plus, I'm sure he would have tried if he had been asked but she never did ask. She had very clearly accepted her fate and was happy with the outcome. The Doctor has a habit of helping when people are in distress but he won't necessarily help people who are content, even if their lives "could" be better.

As for the shark living 60 years. Was it a terrestrial shark? No. Different species therefore different biology and rules. A terrestrial tortoise lives over 150 years, why not a flying alien shark.


Personally I thought it was a fantastic Christmas special. Very emotive and sweet. While it played on a classic Christmas story it was far enough away from it and changed enough elements for it to work as a story in it's own right.

As for the "Coming Soon" preview of next series! O_O

I think I need to watch that again and let it settle before I comment in full.


Oh yeah, I'm not really complaining complaining, most of these things are minor issues that while they don't detract from the experience are fun to dissect none the less.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Whelan » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

Seconded, I enjoyed it, but I also enjoy being a massive pendant.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
Posts: 3307
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: Doctor Who

Postby aleflamedyud » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:34 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
Link wrote:
Spoiler:
I was slightly annoyed that the generally firmly established laws of time went out the window, with no ill effects.

Spoiler:
So, in other words, it was completely in keeping with the Doctor Who tradition...

The message, children of the world, is that Christmas is so totally and utterly unimportant to universal history that the normal laws of time simply have no effect on it. Changing a Christmas changes nothing else in history, so neither paradoxes nor stable time loops can occur, just funsies!
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

User avatar
Robert'); DROP TABLE *;
Posts: 730
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:46 pm UTC
Location: in ur fieldz

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Robert'); DROP TABLE *; » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

Well of course the laws of time don't apply to Christmas. How else would Santa get everything done? :P
...And that is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.

User avatar
netcrusher88
Posts: 2166
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:35 pm UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: Doctor Who

Postby netcrusher88 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:56 pm UTC

The fez is back! That made me happy. Also
Spoiler:
the bit with the psychic paper. "I'm universally known as a respectable, reliable adult. ... Short circuited, finally a lie too big."

keozen wrote:As for the "Coming Soon" preview of next series! O_O

Yes! Pirates and the SS and the uh... SS... um... Stetsons are cool.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

I'm just excited about the reappearance of River Song. I love her.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
beyondweird
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:41 am UTC
Location: Oxford/North West England
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby beyondweird » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:51 pm UTC

I loved this so much :) I thought I'd mind the singing a lot more, but Katherine Jenkins really shone, and they didn't overdo the whole "look we have an amazing opera singer here!" That and the fact it was so...Christmassy!
Spoilered, just in case?
Spoiler:
I love it when Dr Who does the whole 'bittersweet' thing, because I love that kind of story the most. And they did it so well! I very much enjoyed the humour - "Two chances?" "Two arms!" and the honeymoon suite reference especially.


As for the coming soon preview, despite the awesomeness of musketeers, cowboys and the Doctor in one trailer, did it look to anyone else like there might be a massive focus on earth? Shame - I loved the Christmas special mainly because of the other planet and the design of it, it'll be a shame not to have that.
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.

User avatar
Persephonethinx
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 4:10 am UTC
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Persephonethinx » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:39 pm UTC

beyondweird wrote:As for the coming soon preview, despite the awesomeness of musketeers, cowboys and the Doctor in one trailer, did it look to anyone else like there might be a massive focus on earth? Shame - I loved the Christmas special mainly because of the other planet and the design of it, it'll be a shame not to have that.


Yeah, I feel the same. I'm pumped for the
Spoiler:
America two-parter
, but really? Can't we get off Earth for at least half a season this year?
"The Universe is big and it's vast and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..." -The Eleventh Doctor

User avatar
FastLizard4
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:56 pm UTC
Location: Southern California, United States, Earth, Federation Sector 001
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby FastLizard4 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:48 am UTC

Persephonethinx wrote:...but really? Can't we get off Earth for at least half a season this year?


I agree. That's one of the things I like a lot about Star Trek - it's human explorers, but rarely do the episodes take place on Earth. Instead, they really do explore other worlds, and I'd love to see some off-Earth Doctor Who too. Of course, that'd probably raise the budget a bit, but hey, probably not as much as a set that's actually bigger on the inside than on the outside. :P
--FastLizard4 (wikipedia userpage|website)

User avatar
Okita
Staying Alive
Posts: 3071
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:51 pm UTC
Location: Finance land.

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Okita » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:16 am UTC

My thoughts on the Christmas special:

Spoiler:
If I were Rory (and since he snogs Amy Pond, why not want to be Rory), I'd be sternly asking the Doctor... "Okay, so you took those two on some sort of adventure every Christmas eve for 8 years. Like clockwork. Didn't come late or early or anything. And you took them to places like a party with Marilyn Monroe or Egypt. Without monsters or aliens or something bad happening. But on our honeymoon we end up on a crashing ship. I want a do-over"

And yeah, the Doctor wrecking havoc with rewriting time is kind of ridiculous. I mean, if you are going to rewrite time so that Scrooge changes, why not go to some moment in time and space and grab a cure for the girl?
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

User avatar
torontoraptor
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Who

Postby torontoraptor » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:10 am UTC

Coming Soon thoughts:
Spoiler:
Oh god, some incredible awesomeness is coming, but also, this season looks like its going to have even more scary then the angels. The tickmarks all over them? The thing with eyes? The Doctor a prisoner? Evil Ood? I think this season will be watched behind a couch.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

User avatar
Persephonethinx
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 4:10 am UTC
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Persephonethinx » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

Spoilers for the Season 32/6 trailer
Spoiler:
I have a feeling that all the clips in the dark house(?) and Amy with the scratch marks are going to be from Neil Gaiman's pants-wettingly terrifying episode.
"The Universe is big and it's vast and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..." -The Eleventh Doctor

User avatar
animeHrmIne
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:33 pm UTC
Location: Missouri, USA, Sol III

Re: Doctor Who

Postby animeHrmIne » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:25 pm UTC

Just wanted to say that I loved the casual mention of the spider-baby-things. It's like Moffat thought to himself "Huh, huge sharks that can swim through your window in fog . . . eh. Let's just throw in babies with spider legs that grow in closets, even though it's not at all plot relevant."

Seriously, I'm actually expecting him to write a monster that's literally from under the bed. Because we've already covered the irrational childhood fears of strange ticking noises, the dark, cracks in walls, and closets.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

User avatar
Persephonethinx
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 4:10 am UTC
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Persephonethinx » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:34 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:Just wanted to say that I loved the casual mention of the spider-baby-things. It's like Moffat thought to himself "Huh, huge sharks that can swim through your window in fog . . . eh. Let's just throw in babies with spider legs that grow in closets, even though it's not at all plot relevant."

Seriously, I'm actually expecting him to write a monster that's literally from under the bed. Because we've already covered the irrational childhood fears of strange ticking noises, the dark, cracks in walls, and closets.


He sort of did that in Girl in the Fireplace, but yeah. Imagine how many parents would throw a fit. :mrgreen:

...And I just realized that we have the same signature... :P
"The Universe is big and it's vast and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..." -The Eleventh Doctor

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Jorpho » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:37 am UTC

Persephonethinx wrote:Can't we get off Earth for at least half a season this year?
Those were obviously space cowboys featured in the trailer. Amirite?

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Whelan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:41 am UTC

We can only hope...Because the alternative is BBCAmerica ruining running Doctor Who.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
beyondweird
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:41 am UTC
Location: Oxford/North West England
Contact:

Re: Doctor Who

Postby beyondweird » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:51 pm UTC

Persephonethinx wrote:Spoilers for the Season 32/6 trailer
Spoiler:
I have a feeling that all the clips in the dark house(?) and Amy with the scratch marks are going to be from Neil Gaiman's pants-wettingly terrifying episode.


I was waiting for someone to mention this.

And ohmygosh I have been excited for the Neil Gaiman episode since I first heard rumours of it!
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:10 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:We can only hope...Because the alternative is BBCAmerica ruining running Doctor Who.

I'd really love it if this year, we could watch new episodes of Doctor Who the same day as those across the pond do.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE


Return to “Movies and TV Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests