Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

animeHrmIne

Re: Doctor Who

Postby animeHrmIne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:10 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Whelan wrote:We can only hope...Because the alternative is BBCAmerica ruining running Doctor Who.

I'd really love it if this year, we could watch new episodes of Doctor Who the same day as those across the pond do.

(Legally).
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:
Whelan wrote:We can only hope...Because the alternative is BBCAmerica ruining running Doctor Who.

I'd really love it if this year, we could watch new episodes of Doctor Who the same day as those across the pond do.

(Legally).

That is what I was implying.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

I'd love it if we could watch episodes of any American series on the same day as it airs in the states. Sorry, leftpondians, but if you're gonna pull that shit on the rest of the world, you don't get to complain when the rest of the world does it to you. :P
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:48 pm UTC

Dude, I wish the same thing. Universal release dates would make discussions so much better; you wouldn't have to wait two years for the rest of the fandom to catch up.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
-Sexy

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I'd love it if we could watch episodes of any American series on the same day as it airs in the states. Sorry, leftpondians, but if you're gonna pull that shit on the rest of the world, you don't get to complain when the rest of the world does it to you. :P

Since when am I a major broadcasting network executive? I'll complain if I wanna!
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:35 am UTC

Spoiler'd for big, not for spoilers.
Spoiler:

And this special was a bit handwavey... But honestly, I didn't expect anything less.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:24 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Spoiler'd for big, not for spoilers.
Spoiler:

And this special was a bit handwavey... But honestly, I didn't expect anything less.

HAHAHA Aretha Franklin bow!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:I'd love it if we could watch episodes of any American series on the same day as it airs in the states. Sorry, leftpondians, but if you're gonna pull that shit on the rest of the world, you don't get to complain when the rest of the world does it to you. :P

Since when am I a major broadcasting network executive? I'll complain if I wanna!

I know, hence the " :P " at the end of my post. Maybe a trollface picture would have worked better.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:31 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Spoiler'd for big, not for spoilers.
Spoiler:

I'm wearing whatever the leftmost thing on the second row is called right now. They ARE cool!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:21 am UTC

Another:
Spoiler:

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:44 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:I'm wearing whatever the leftmost thing on the second row is called right now. They ARE cool!
The term is "pith helmet".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pith_helmet

Persephonethinx

Postby Persephonethinx » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:11 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:

I know, hence the " :P " at the end of my post. Maybe a trollface picture would have worked better.

While we're complaining, why can't cable/satellite companies let us pick and choose the channels we actually want to watch so I can get BBC America? *grumble*
"The Universe is big and it's vast and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..." -The Eleventh Doctor

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:34 am UTC

Persephonethinx wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:

While we're complaining, why can't cable/satellite companies let us pick and choose the channels we actually want to watch so I can get BBC America? *grumble*

Because if we were actually given the freedom to choose our own channel lineup, then tiny, unimportant, obscure networks like the Cuddly Sci-Fi Kitten Health Channel En Español would cease to exist.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:48 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Persephonethinx wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:

Because if we were actually given the freedom to choose our own channel lineup, then tiny, unimportant, obscure networks like the Cuddly Sci-Fi Kitten Health Channel En Español would cease to exist.

Oh Rassilon I would watch that network. I would watch it ALWAYS.
-Sexy

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:09 am UTC

Re the trailer for next year's season:
Spoiler:
Anyone else think the scene with the beardy Doctor in a secure facility, being treated as a prisoner, is in Area 51? It would fit with the wide open American landscapes from the trailer.
Also, the marks on Amy and River are indeed delightfully creepy - they appear to be scratched out counting marks, the sort that are stereotypically marked on prison walls in allotments of 5, like so:
I'm wondering if they have something to do with a countdown, because Moffat does love his countdowns - or some sort of projection of time passing. Taking a wild speculative leap - something has been cooped up for a very long time, and is projecting its frustrations onto others?
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:20 am UTC

Have there been any Area 51 episodes in the Whoverse? It seems like it has to be done...

Persephonethinx

Postby Persephonethinx » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:33 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Have there been any Area 51 episodes in the Whoverse? It seems like it has to be done...

There hasn't been a live action TV episode, just the animated Dreamland story.
"The Universe is big and it's vast and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles..." -The Eleventh Doctor

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

Was there ever a name given to the underground bunker/base/egomaniacal-stronghold in 'dalek' (S1EP6)? I thought they heavily implied that was Area 51.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:00 pm UTC

It was a private collection.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

Gellert1984 wrote:Was there ever a name given to the underground bunker/base/egomaniacal-stronghold in 'dalek' (S1EP6)? I thought they heavily implied that was Area 51.

No, that was set in Utah, not Nevada. I personally have two theories about why they filmed in Utah:

1) They'll have another van Statten story set there, or the ending will create the circumstances that make van Statten use that part of Utah for his collection.

2) They wanted to film in a stereotypical Southwestern locale, and they thought that Utah fit.

I hope it's the first, personally. Though Area 51 might be cool.

Also, question for the British fans: Do you know the cultural perception of Utah (Full of Mormons)? Or is it just another Southwestern State?
-Sexy

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:52 pm UTC

Full of Mormons and Salt but no water.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby keozen » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:35 pm UTC

Ok spoiler time for talk on what I know re: the S6 trailer (I state some things here that go beyond the trailer itself so don't read if you don't want to hear rumours I heard from so-so "have been right but also wrong in the past" sources, I also state stuff I think tho):
Spoiler:
- I have it on so/so authority that the Amy & River with check marks is actually still part of the America two parter opener and NOT part of the Neil Gaimen episode as some suspect.

- The NG episode is to be set on a junkyard planet by the sounds of it and the shots of the Doctor running around with a woman we don't know are supposedly from that ep.

- The "Lodger Tardis" we see is either the same one with modifications or a different one of similar design as the consoles are a different colour and the entrance point seems to be in a different place to the one in the Lodger.

- The "River (maybe) naked" shot seems to be on the Stormcage set which would make sense as there were rumours that they shot stuff for future episodes when they were shooting on it for last series.

- I'm betting what a lot of people seem to be betting about the Doctor in area 51, it's a future doctor that River, Amy and Rory are recruited by to help save him but they can't tell the doctor they are helping future him hence the "Recruited by who?" line.

Persephonethinx

Postby Persephonethinx » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:28 am UTC

Whoa. I saw the thread name change to "Doctor Whom" and got really disorientated for a second. :mrgreen:

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:52 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:
Gellert1984 wrote:Was there ever a name given to the underground bunker/base/egomaniacal-stronghold in 'dalek' (S1EP6)? I thought they heavily implied that was Area 51.

No, that was set in Utah, not Nevada. I personally have two theories about why they filmed in Utah:

1) They'll have another van Statten story set there, or the ending will create the circumstances that make van Statten use that part of Utah for his collection.

2) They wanted to film in a stereotypical Southwestern locale, and they thought that Utah fit.

I hope it's the first, personally. Though Area 51 might be cool.
I keep expecting them to one day bring back whatshisname with the head that opens up when someone snaps his or her fingers. Too many possibilities there.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:14 am UTC

Persephonethinx wrote:Whoa. I saw the thread name change to "Doctor Whom" and got really disorientated for a second. :mrgreen:

same here
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:22 am UTC

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:25 pm UTC

xdegenerate

Postby xdegenerate » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:59 am UTC

Apparently they're finally taking part of the next season of Doctor Who to America to explore Area 51. So finally a love letter to all of us American fans.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:23 am UTC

Ehhh. Not that I think they ought to remain entirely in the UK--it's a little unrealistic that every alien threat beelines for London--but I'm still remembering the accents from Daleks in Manhattan...
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Persephonethinx

Postby Persephonethinx » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:52 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:the accents from Daleks in Manhattan...

My ears! My ears!

Is it too much to hope that they cast some actual Americans to play minor speaking parts?

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:58 am UTC

Let's be fair. We've been pumping out Fake Brits long enough that we deserve it.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:02 pm UTC

You still owe us for Dick Van Dyke.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

xdegenerate

Postby xdegenerate » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

Also, Madonna I guess.

Persephonethinx

Postby Persephonethinx » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:17 am UTC

Whelan wrote:You still owe us for Dick Van Dyke.

So true. :mrgreen:

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:52 am UTC

Yeah, sorry guys you Americans have it coming as far as the accents thing is concerned. If all you believed was US TV then you'd come to England, hear people speak and presume you'd landed in the wrong country.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:42 pm UTC

Are they going to start showing it before the BBC now?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:12 am UTC

keozen wrote:Yeah, sorry guys you Americans have it coming as far as the accents thing is concerned. If all you believed was US TV then you'd come to England, hear people speak and presume you'd landed in the wrong country.

I agree if some prehaps very sheltered Americans ended up in the midlands they would not know where they were. :P So yeah the accents in Daleks in Manhattan were just awful! But we need to get our own back darn it. :P

I'm just going to throw my favourite River Song theory in here (it has no basis in the programme it was just something I read on tumblr and liked) that she is the personification of the TARDIS.. it does explain why she has the confidence to control the Doctor (and she's a 'sexy thing' :P).
I also hope she's a female time lord/lady herself and, if possible, has no romantic connections to the Doctor (inner feminist is not happy with this programme.. she sits in the corner and grumbles while I watch it).

Anybody else have River Song theories/thoughts about who they would like her to be?
Last edited by Hope_ on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:29 am UTC

I would like her to be what she currently is - a badass normal human being who just happens to hang out with the Doctor every so often. I'm fine with the "best man she ever knew" being more embroiled in the mythos or whatever (but ohgod, if it turns out to be Rory I will bawl my eyes out), but I like what they've done with her - created an original, good, intriguing character.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:16 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:but ohgod, if it turns out to be Rory I will bawl my eyes out

Oh, Rassilon. I just had this agonizing image of Rory turning into something Universe-destroying, and River having to kill him before he does. And he's crying and Amy's crying and River and the Doctor are just looking on in that sad, resigned way and the River blasts him dead.

It would be an amazing season finale, I'll give it that, especially with the Pandorica Opens parallels. And it would be great if Amy left right after, because I can't think of a companion that left the TARDIS crew and actively loathed the Doctor.

She could even become a new villain. Oh, that would be awesome!

. . .

I'm horrible. I'll stop now.
-Sexy

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:26 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:
michaelandjimi wrote:but ohgod, if it turns out to be Rory I will bawl my eyes out
She could even become a new villain. Oh, that would be awesome!
Maybe for one episode in a kind of alternate-reality paradox thing, but not forever. :( Because no.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”