Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SirBryghtside

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

Actually I wanted to punch River in the face a little less than usual that episode.

Spoiler:
Although that might just be because she hadn't learned the word 'spoilers' yet :P

Anyway, this hasn't been mentioned yet, but it really should be - that pre-empted fight scene was awesome.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:44 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:
GraphiteGirl wrote:So, um, can we talk about this?
Spoiler:
Amy: “I don’t understand, one minute she’s gonna marry you, and then she’s gonna kill you?”

Doctor: “Ah well, she’s been brainwashed, it all makes sense - plus, she’s a woman!”

Amy looks pissed.

Doctor: “Oh shut up, I’m dying.”

I'm not even surprised, I'm just disappointed.

Guess it goes both ways, the female friend I was watching it with, laughed at that remark..

Kinda weirded out at that line when I heard it. I think it was just the Doctor's lame attempt to make the situation light-hearted, and
Spoiler:
“Oh shut up, I’m dying.”
may have been an acknowledgment that it was an off comment but a dismissal of concern rolled into one.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:56 pm UTC

Had a thought yesterday, spoilered just incase. (Involves people in spacesuits at the start of the series.)

Spoiler:
What if the reason that River doesn't remember that she killed the Doctor because she didn't. What if the person in the spacesuit is Rory. My thinking is that as this series progresses, Rory becomes more of the hero type; braver, more selfless etc and it culminates in him having to kill the doctor for some reason. (My guess here is that something happens to Amy and Rory does it to stop the doctor doing whatever it is that gets her there.) He could somehow get stranded back in the 1960s, finds Melody and tries to undo some of the brainwashing or just tells her about her mother and father and gets her to find them (because he knows what will happen afterwards) but during this time he realises that he's still that robot or part robot or for some reason just doesnt age. So just waits for the Doctor. The reason why River is put in prison is because she then takes the blame for her father's actions so she doesn't see him end up in an even worse place than he is. Or even she kills Rory out of anger/ love. She never said she killed the Doctor specifically, just the greatest man she ever knew. This way she would let him forever be the greatest man by taking the blame for his worst deed.

Admitedly I had this thought as I was falling asleep and it's probably got holes in but thought I might put it out there to see what everyone else thinks.
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:53 pm UTC

no one got my pun?

here i'll reiterate it and see if knowledge that it is a pun helps...

TaintedDeity wrote:They broke River >:|

Damn!

Spoiler:
:twisted: :lol:

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

I got it the first time.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:I got it the first time.

awesome.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

After about 30 seconds.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Ideological Aerostat

Postby Ideological Aerostat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

I somehow can't find find any episodes. I tried searching for it, still nothing.
I am not about to do that thing you think I'm going to do. I'll do the opposite.

Most people on the internet are idiots. 50% of them are amusing. The other 50% are annoying.

This is not one of those amusing signatures. Sorry to disappoint.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:41 am UTC

Ideological Aerostat wrote:I somehow can't find find any episodes. I tried searching for it, still nothing.

How do you search? If you like megavideo here's one. It works as of when I posted it... Can't promise it'll last though. It won't. No questionably legal file-sharing links, please.

EDIT: I took it out. No need to re-direct it weirdly...

I do want to note that I buy the Doctor Who DVDs, but I'm an american who has ditched cable so I can only watch it online.

AvatarIII wrote:no one got my pun?

here i'll reiterate it and see if knowledge that it is a pun helps...

TaintedDeity wrote:They broke River >:|

Damn!

Spoiler:
:twisted: :lol:

Honestly I did have to be told it was a pun.

Even though I enjoyed the episode I'll agree it was a wasted title. I was hoping for more moral dilemmas...
Last edited by sugarhyped on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:25 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Ideological Aerostat

Postby Ideological Aerostat » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

It's a feature of Comcast.
I am not about to do that thing you think I'm going to do. I'll do the opposite.

Most people on the internet are idiots. 50% of them are amusing. The other 50% are annoying.

This is not one of those amusing signatures. Sorry to disappoint.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

Some theories/observations that are going around the internet:

Spoiler:
- People have pointed out that Canton's envelope from The Impossible Astronaut wasn't opened.

- Remember that the Teselecta can look like anyone, is potentially in the hands of the Doctor now and the Doctor can travel in time, therefore anyone from earlier in the series may not actually be who they appear to be.

- Some people have pointed out that the top hat/suit that the Doctor wears looked a lot like the one he wore to Amy's wedding. It has however been shown to be a different hat/suit by a side by side comparison.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:06 pm UTC

An observation pointed out on reddit.
Spoiler:
Amelia Pond says the Doctor will die in 32 minutes. The time from when he meets them in The Impossible Astronaut to the time of his death is 32 minutes.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:02 pm UTC

So the girl I've been watching this entire season with so far, is coming over tomorrow night again. She wanted to see an older episode or two afterwards. What to you guys think? I was thinking Impossible Planet/Satan Pit, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, 42 or Midnight.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:So the girl I've been watching this entire season with so far, is coming over tomorrow night again. She wanted to see an older episode or two afterwards. What to you guys think? I was thinking Impossible Planet/Satan Pit, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, 42 or Midnight.

I'd go for the Silence in the Library two parter.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:16 am UTC

Midnight and Blink are my top 2. Although library ones are good because they introduce River.

EDIT:
torontoraptor wrote:An observation pointed out on reddit.
Spoiler:
Amelia Pond says the Doctor will die in 32 minutes. The time from when he meets them in The Impossible Astronaut to the time of his death is 32 minutes.

That is awesome...

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:40 am UTC

"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:25 am UTC

Argon, there's also the option of the Empty Child two-parter.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:48 am UTC

I just want to say the only thing I really like about '42' is that it taught me what a happy prime is. I spent too long on wikipedia learning about happy numbers...

EDIT: I'm watching doctor who confidential and I've just thought of something.
Spoiler for Let's Kill Hitler and earlier
Spoiler:
River is regenerating and she gets nazis shooting her with machine guns. The Doctor gets shot mid-regeneration and died...
I don't see why one survives and the other doesn't.

Also River says she wants to slowly get younger to freak people out. When River dies Alex Kingston is the youngest she is in the series. I got a little laugh out of that

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:41 am UTC

My word, I've almost completely forgotten 42. The Wikipedia article rings some bells very, very faintly. Any of those other suggestions would seem to be a much better idea.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:52 am UTC

I remember hating 42, but I can't remember why.

... For what that's worth.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:38 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:EDIT: I'm watching doctor who confidential and I've just thought of something.
Spoiler for Let's Kill Hitler and earlier
Spoiler:
River is regenerating and she gets nazis shooting her with machine guns. The Doctor gets shot mid-regeneration and died...
I don't see why one survives and the other doesn't.

Also River says she wants to slowly get younger to freak people out. When River dies Alex Kingston is the youngest she is in the series. I got a little laugh out of that

Spoiler:
the doctor got shot when he was mid-changing-into-a-new-actor melody got shot after she'd changed but while she was still a bit charged up. See Tennant getting his hand chopped off just after he'd regenerated and it growing back.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:39 pm UTC

Long, rambling, "I'm an old old man and recent doctors suck" follows.

Spoiler:
When I was very young, I watched some doctor who. It was good, strange, very engaging. A high point.

Just before the recent reboot (I mean the Christopher Eccleston/Billy Piper series) the local public station replayed all the doctor who episodes that are extant (and uncolourised or otherwise bastardised because of a policy decision that the station made ages ago). I got really, really interested. Watched nearly all the episodes. Saw a lot of stuff that I had initially missed, no doubt overthought the whole thing quite drastically.

So, when the Eccleston/Piper series happened along, I was very interested, and I liked it a lot. When Tennant took the reins I was a little sad about the rapid change. I thought Eccleston was solid, and had the character right.

What was right about the ninth doctor that was perhaps not right in the 10th? The doctor has always lived in a psychological/moral uncanny valley. I'm sure we all know that the uncanny valley is where robots that look a lot like humans, but not exactly like humans, live. They send a shiver up our spine, but only if we get a good look at them.

Pschologically or morally or attitudinally or something, that was where the doctor lived. Not right psychologically or morally or something. I remember watching the first doctor, William Hartnell, and thinking "what a prick", and steadily finding myself engaging more with him, not really quite liking him for a long while, but finding him kind of fascinating and arcane and eldrich. The way he used his grand daughter often seemed off.

Later, when Tom Baker just walked away from Sarah Jane Smith (Elizabeth Sladen (RIP)), greatest companion of all time, the strangeness of the doctor was on display again. And Baker was always just a little off, just giving a slightly unsettling feel (the world's exploding all around you "Jelly baby?")

And its right. Its right that the doctor feels wrong. He is an alien. He is not human.

And it feels like he's been humanised by the recent couple or 5 series. I don't feel that strangeness, that wrongness anymore. I don't know when he lost it, when he stopped feeling otherworldly, more an earthling who traveled than a traveler visiting earth, but its happened.

And the confidential things don't help at all. Its like walking in on your lover as they're on the toilet: all the mystery is gone.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Well, even though I never saw the old Who, I think I get what you mean. But don't you think Matt Smith is going back to that a bit? Not the 'what a prick part' but more the eccentricity. Take 'The Lodger' for example, where The Doctor tries to act human.

(You might also see it as character development -- hanging around humans a lot has rubbed of on him?)

Also... HOW THE HELL DID I FORGET TO MENTION BLINK?!

That is all

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:38 pm UTC

I also thought the last episode was blah - basically I agree with the spoilered rant!

Fingers crossed that the next episode is better!
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Link

Postby Link » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

In my opinion, Eleven brings back a lot more of the old-series quirkiness than Nine or Ten did. Nine, to me, was more of an eccentric human than an alien. Ten was even more human (which, as a result, made him vulnerable to human emotions, and inflated his ego to galactic proportions until it brutally went *pop* in The End of Time). Then came Eleven, with his fish fingers and custard, bow-ties and funky headgear, and his gambit pileups, scenery-chewing, and general badassitude that even Seven can't beat.

The way I see it, Eleven takes on aspects of many of the previous Doctors and combines them in a much younger and more energetic body. The fondness for peculiar clothing from Two and Six, the general obliviousness to the fact that people think he's odd that Four had, Five's compassion, and the "You Have Crossed The Line And I Will Make You Suffer"-mode that Seven was prone to entering. ...All topped off with a pinch of smugness from One, perhaps.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:25 pm UTC

I think the general rule I'll adopt from now on is if the episode is written by Mark Gatiss, it will be average at best.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

Link wrote:In my opinion, Eleven brings back a lot more of the old-series quirkiness than Nine or Ten did. Nine, to me, was more of an eccentric human than an alien. Ten was even more human (which, as a result, made him vulnerable to human emotions, and inflated his ego to galactic proportions until it brutally went *pop* in The End of Time). Then came Eleven, with his fish fingers and custard, bow-ties and funky headgear, and his gambit pileups, scenery-chewing, and general badassitude that even Seven can't beat.

The way I see it, Eleven takes on aspects of many of the previous Doctors and combines them in a much younger and more energetic body. The fondness for peculiar clothing from Two and Six, the general obliviousness to the fact that people think he's odd that Four had, Five's compassion, and the "You Have Crossed The Line And I Will Make You Suffer"-mode that Seven was prone to entering. ...All topped off with a pinch of smugness from One, perhaps.

Especially in Night Terrors. I won't spoiler it for anyone, but his weirdness shows a lot more. Seeing the dad's reactions was hilarious :P
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

That episode was much better :)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

xkcd follower

Postby xkcd follower » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:18 am UTC

Anyone seen the recent one tonight? It was weird (well, slightly weirder then usual). Can anyone find a good copy of the lyrics sung at the end? I heard something about the Doctor dying (reference to Impossible Astronaut). Thank you!!!

Also, I did not like "42", I did like "Blink" though.
"Religion is the Opiate of the Masses"- Karl Marx

That means we need a cure... Or go Cold Turkey.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:49 am UTC

Spoiler:
I heard the creepy little girls sing something along the lines of 'everyone dies, even the Doctor' at the end, so my bet is that you're right on the lyrics.

Also, I didn't like this episode as much as some of the other ones from this series, but I will say that the Dolls were somewhat more scary qhen they were just giggling at Amy and Rory and jerking them around in general. Once they popped into the open and started doing their zombification thing, they lost a lot of their edge.

As well, I also enjoyed the Father's reactions to the Doctor's quirkiness. Open/don't open the closet indeed...
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:53 pm UTC

xkcd follower wrote:Anyone seen the recent one tonight? It was weird (well, slightly weirder then usual). Can anyone find a good copy of the lyrics sung at the end? I heard something about the Doctor dying (reference to Impossible Astronaut). Thank you!!!

Also, I did not like "42", I did like "Blink" though.

Spoiler:
Tick, Tock, goes the clock, even for The Doctor...

xkcd follower

Postby xkcd follower » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:16 pm UTC

Thanks for the short Lyrics.
Spoiler:
And yes, after they turned Amy into a doll, the did become less scary. Maybe next week will be scarier.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:09 pm UTC

I found this episode to be... somewhat boring.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:25 pm UTC

At least it wasn't last week's episode! :D
Ⓞⓞ◯

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

I was expecting there to be a clown somewhere in this episode... oh well. It was an okay episode.

I understand jestingrabbits complaints, but I really like Eleven as a Doctor.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

Last week's >>>>>> This week's

As some people have noted, there were clear signs that this episode was originally planned for the first half of the season:
Spoiler:
No mention of Melody at all and the Doctor rather pointedly saying how he, Amy and Rory were all reunited 'in the flesh' at the end

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:37 pm UTC

Yeah, the episode felt a bit unexceptional. Feels like a collection of themes that have been done several times already in new-DW. Was a bit bland, but watchable, as it wasn't really offensive to the mind like some of the older Tennant episodes were.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

xkcd follower

Postby xkcd follower » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

Agreed. What I do like is the Eleventh Doctor episodes you can watch over and over again and see new stuff each time. The Tennant episodes you could watch once, get them, and never really watch them ever again. These new ones you can watch 2 or 3 times and see something new.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:39 am UTC

Full nursery rhyme lyrics:

Spoiler:
Tick tock goes the clock
And what now shall we play?
Tick tock goes the clock
Now summer's gone away?
Tick tock goes the clock
And what then shall we see?
Tick tock until the day
That thou shalt marry me
Tick tock goes the clock
And all the years they fly
Tick tock and all too soon
You and I must die
Tick tock goes the clock
He cradled her and he rocked her
Tick tock goes the clock
Even for the Doctor..

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:51 am UTC

I must say I am starting to have my doubts as well, about Doctor Who. There's too many lose plots, and too many weird jumps. Spoilered for spoilers about Let's Kill Hitler:
Spoiler:
Mel just appeared from nowhere. They really dropped the ball there, because it would have been an awesome reveal if that character had showed up a few more times in previous episodes. This really feels like a "We only thought up the plot last week" kind of move, instead of planning an overarching story from the start.

The stuff with Hitler was nice, but it was way too little. I was really expecting so much more, with such an awesome, awesome, awesome, title. I really would not have complained at all about the Hitler scenes normally, they were good enough. But if you give us what is perhaps the most awesome title of the new series, you can't just do so little with it. Dammit.

But mainly the plot just jumps around too much. Take the Silence. Where did they go? There's clearly still part of the storyline. But they seem to have completely disappeared. Just a few shots of Amy or the Doctor looking at something shocked, and then forgetting about it, would have done the trick of establishing continuity.

As for the doctor being too human. I don't think the 11th doctor is very human. He has a lot of weird quirks. But I haven't seen the older series so I can't compare. One thing that is starting to wear on me though, is that he never ever explains anything, and that people always go along with it. That's really typical of this doctor. It already started in the first episode of season 5, where he basically abuses the young Amelia Pond as his personal slave while he plunders her house for anything edible without so much as a thank you. It's funny, but not very nice. And then let's her wait for 10 years. I'm willing to write that down to him having just regenerated and still being a bit confused about it. But why does everybody go along with it?

Everybody continuesly acts like he's the greatest person ever. And they even say it out loud, again, and again, and again, every single damn episode. But in the meantime he's mostly acting like a bit of a jerk. It doesn't compute. Yes he has the best intentions, and always does the right thing. But he's still just not a nice person. I want to see him care about someone. Not just in a "I'm the hero so I'm saving everybody" kind of way. But in a personal way. Like the 10th doctor did. The interaction between him and Wilfred Mott in The End of Time for example is absolutely awesome.

I still like Matt Smith as the doctor. But I feel the character is moving in the wrong direction the season. At the moment Rory and Amy are both more awesome. Especially Rory. "Would you like me to repeat the question?". Definitely Rory.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”