Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Joeldi

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Joeldi » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:42 am UTC

Spoiler:
That was pretty stupid, but not /as/ stupid as Kill the Moon. I did like quite a few parts, mainly in the beginning. The idea to burn down London was so freaking stupid I wanted to stop watching at that point though. Haven't Londoners ever heard of Bulldozers?
Question: What's more scary to a tiger/wolves - people standing perfectly still with arms splayed, torchlight, or a large group of humans yelling and cheering which happened /immediately/ after the danger appeared to have passed...
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:43 am UTC

charliepanayi wrote:That one was even worse than Kill the Moon! But I'm confident things will pick up again for the final two episodes.
Agreed, that was blah. They'd better have something good cooked up.

Can't say I've heard of the Curuçá River Event before.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:28 pm UTC

I have many feelings about the whole "People who have mental problems are actually really special and don't need to be medicated" trope. I honestly find it as harmful as the "People with mental problems are violent killers". So, yeah, was unable to enjoy that episode.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:14 pm UTC

I liked this one more than Kill the Moon - this one didn't give the impression that the writer was proud of not knowing anything about science - rather, I got the impression of a writer who at least had basic scientific literacy, but didn't let the science get in the way of the story - most of the time when magic happened during the story, it was acknowledged as being magic.

I also liked the callback to Kill the Moon - though I still don't like that episode.

As for the mental health thing, my personal experience has been of friends being prescribed medication that took them from high-functioning to low-functioning while on the meds, and to borderline non-functional during withdrawal. I take it on faith that there are cases of people with real underlying chemical problems where medication actually addresses the underlying issue, but I know that there are cases where medication is used to suppress symptoms without any attempt to identify and resolve underlying issues.

Also, as speculative fiction, it's entirely legitimate to explore the question "what if people (or one special person) who 'hear voices' actually do hear real voices?"

The soap side of the episode was a bit meh - it kept never quite going anywhere (and from the teaser it looks like it's not doing anything next week, though that may be misleading) - there's something unresolved there, that should be progressed.

Steerpike

Postby Steerpike » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:06 pm UTC

Didn't see that coming.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:18 pm UTC

I thought it was kind of a disappointing episode when compared to how the trailer made it look.

An interesting set-up though, I guess.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:06 am UTC

Spoiler:
YES!

So, apparently TARDIS keys are made the same way as the One Ring was. Also, I thin kI watched LOST too much as the first thing I thought of when I heard Dr. Chang was "Pierre". And I managed to get the main villain reappearance from one word in the first episode; she even went through the same logic chain as I did. Who's the pudding head now, Capaldi?
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:53 am UTC

Didn't see that one coming either. I was kind of hoping it would turn out to be The Rani, but alas, that would be too fresh.

So is that a particular famous building? I know not what it is.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:40 am UTC

St Paul's cathedral, apparently.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:38 am UTC

I saw it coming, but I was so determined that it couldn't possibly be what I thought it was going to be that when it turned out to be exactly what I thought it was going to be, it blew me away.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:51 pm UTC

That episode may have made the entire season of crap worthwhile. I saw the main villain reveal simply because someone here said it a while ago, but wow, I'm super impressed.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:25 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:That episode may have made the entire season of crap worthwhile.
Nah, nothing can save it now. If this keeps up into next season, they'd better find someone to replace Moffat.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:26 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Power of love saves the day again. Or something. I enjoyed the whole deranged Mary Poppins thing from Missy though.

On the glimpse of the Christmas special:

Spoiler:
The Doctor meets Santa Claus and a xenomorph? No? Damn.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:20 am UTC

Did you notice the eyes in the intro?

Spoiler:
They're not Capaldi's.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:46 am UTC

I did notice the eyes, and wondered if they'd always been there but I hadn't noticed them before.

I wasn't that impressed with that episode. Just felt kind of meh.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:44 pm UTC

I think I understood barely anything of that episode. Is it just me or did it make very little sense?

Do the characters even have a character this season? All the main characters seem to constantly be doing completely arbitrary things for completely arbitrary reasons.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:55 pm UTC

I agree.

Spoiler:
I was expecting that we'd actually get the people who've been dying all season tosay something to the doctor, otherwise Missy bringing them up doesn't make any sense. I didn't understand her plan either. Also, apparently there are only two good humans in all of history who went against their programming.

Didn't think the whole thing with Danny made any sense at all.
GNU Terry Pratchett

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:56 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Do the characters even have a character this season? All the main characters seem to constantly be doing completely arbitrary things for completely arbitrary reasons.

I see no evidence for that at all.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:00 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:I think I understood barely anything of that episode. Is it just me or did it make very little sense?

To me it seemed like "Plan 9 from Gallifrey" plus the Master spouting some of the Joker's philosophy from Dark Knight.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:40 pm UTC

This was definitely not one of the better finales, for many reasons.
Spoiler:
For one brief, shining moment, I thought that they were really going with the reveal that Clara was, in whole or in part, the "real" Doctor, and it wasn't just an elaborate lie. It would make a certain amount of sense, given how Doctor-like she'd started becoming in some episodes, along with the way she'd merged with his timeline in last season's finale. We know the Doctor can become human in some fashion (e.g. Family of Blood), and we know that his identity can be taken in by a human for a short period (Journey's End), so I'm sure they could have found some way to make Clara a pseudo-Time Lord and had some fun with that, but no.

Interestingly, looking at some of the press releases and such for the Christmas episode,
Spoiler:
Clara is still going to be in it. That maybe explains why her farewell was so weak.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:19 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:To me it seemed like "Plan 9 from Gallifrey"
Acht! It's true! I thought it seemed just a teensy bit familiar.

It was still a step up from Kill The Moon, at least, and probably better than half the other episodes from this season.

I think "Why did they think handcuffs would suffice?" ought to rank pretty high on the list of offenses to logic.

Carry002

Postby Carry002 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:28 am UTC

I am a big fan of Doctor.BTW the whole background of the story is very nice.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:04 am UTC

I know it's because of plot reasons, but
Spoiler:
why don't they just kill the Master/Mistress on sight and be done with it? He/she might be mentally unstable, but also a large enough threat warranting execution, as proven time and again.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:07 pm UTC

Isn't that exactly what happened at the end?

Spoiler:
I'm sure they'll find a way to bring the Master back again. They'll say he/she/it teleported at the exact instant of being shot, making it look like CyberBrigadier vaporised him/her/it.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:14 pm UTC

You know what was really stupid?
Spoiler:
So, the Master/Mistress has gotten the mind of everyone who died on Earth - fine. But out of all of those people, only Pink and the Brigidiar kept their emotions? I mean, I can understand some people deleting their emotions, but the majority of people probably wouldn't (everyone who died from old age). And you could say that they had their emotions turned off by the computer but if that is the case, why would they not turn off Danny's and the Brigidiar's?

Also, the cybermen burned themselves up to get rid of the cloud that was going to kill everyone on Earth? That seems like the stupidest way to do it yet. Don't they have superweapons?

Ugh, stupid ending was stupid.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:38 pm UTC

That's the thing about this series. You're not supposed to think about it too hard. This season in particular has been terrible at leaving plot-holes and egregious violations of common sense all over the place.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:39 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:I know it's because of plot reasons, but
Spoiler:
why don't they just kill the Master/Mistress on sight and be done with it? He/she might be mentally unstable, but also a large enough threat warranting execution, as proven time and again.

Guessing you're not a big fan of James Bond films.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:43 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:
ArgonV wrote:I know it's because of plot reasons, but
Spoiler:

Guessing you're not a big fan of James Bond films.

Huh? Are there Bond-villains beside Blofeld and Jaws that survive a Bond film then?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:33 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Isn't that exactly what happened at the end?

Spoiler:
I'm sure they'll find a way to bring the Master back again. They'll say he/she/it teleported at the exact instant of being shot, making it look like CyberBrigadier vaporised him/her/it.

Spoiler:
Considering they used the blue teleport effect rather than the red disintegration effect, I'm going to have to agree with you there...

ArgonV wrote:
charliepanayi wrote:Guessing you're not a big fan of James Bond films.

Huh? Are there Bond-villains beside Blofeld and Jaws that survive a Bond film then?

I think it's more the bad guys' consistent refusal to just shoot Bond on sight - I mean, Scott evil can't be the only one to have figured it out...

Okay, in Goldfinger, Bond actually manages to justify keeping him alive; the rest of the time, it's the villain deciding not to kill him for no good (enough) reason considering what he's proven capable of.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:23 am UTC

Missy was quite a bit like Moriarty there.

I wasn't impressed with the finale. I'm not a fan of lying as a plot device. It turns into a cop out to avoid a real resolution.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:51 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Isn't that exactly what happened at the end?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure this is exactly what happened because the color of the "smoke" that appears when she's "killed" is blue, which is the same color which appeared when she teleported off the plane. The color that appeared when someone died from the use of her weapon was red. Now, the weapons that the Cybermen use are blue, indeed, but that may just make it easier to assume that Brigadier vaporized her, when in fact, she just teleported away.
Also,
Spoiler:
this season has been so awful that I'm almost willing to ignore the flashback where it reveals that the Doctor is lying about finding Gallifrey and just assume that the show has ended.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:32 pm UTC

Seems Capaldi is here for the long term, though maybe not Coleman.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... ter-749557

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:30 am UTC

And it's status quo for the foreseeable future. Uh oh.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doct ... ot-4710238

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:34 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:And it's status quo for the foreseeable future. Uh oh.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doct ... ot-4710238

Another season of Jenna Coleman? I approve of this.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:34 pm UTC

If the writing doesn't improve, who's playing who doesn't matter at all.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:39 pm UTC

Writing? I was just happy I might get to see Jenna Coleman in it for longer.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:38 am UTC

Jenna Coleman is an excellent companion. And there's plenty of material to explore with her still. Same with Capaldi.

But the writing desperately needs to improve. Without good writing even the best actors are helpless.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:37 pm UTC

Well, that was bizarre.

And also extremely predictable.

Also:
Spoiler:
Given that the pain in the head was constant throughout the episode, why didn't the doctor seem to feel it? Also,why didn't they just open the books every single time they 'woke up' just to double check?

And why on Earth were there 4 random dreamcrabs scattered around on other people?
GNU Terry Pratchett

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:35 pm UTC

I liked it more than usual - though that was probably due to being buoyed up by Nick Frost being Nick Frost all over the place. Had the same plot holes and weird ugly paternalism.
Spoiler:
I really liked the scene with Pink for example, right until he started demanding Clara do as she's told...
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:47 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, it was weird that even in Clara's dream, her dream bf is the one having to be strong and saving the day.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”