Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

d3-ad

Doctor Whom

Postby d3-ad » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

I tried searching for this topic, but the search function ignored the word "who." So, if it's on here, let me know.

If not, who watches "Doctor Who?" Season Three just finished in America. I became addicted to the show fairly quickly. My favorite episode is "Blink".

(And please, for the sake of the fans, keep important things in Spoiler Tags. I had the last episode of season three spoiled for me, and it ruined the entire show.)
http://www.d3-ad.com

Spoiler:
Ending

Gadren

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Gadren » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

I love Doctor Who, but it's been so long since I've watched an episode. "Blink" is probably my favorite, too -- although "Family of Blood" is up there as well.

d3-ad

Postby d3-ad » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

Family of Blood was the second of the two parter, right? That one was excellent too. I love vindictive characters.

I think that two parter was based on a book.

Spoiler:
Ending

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:49 pm UTC

I, also, am a big fan of "Blink", and of the character of the Doctor in general.

Might I be the only one here who liked the ninth doctor a bit more than the tenth?

This is now the thread where we name our favorite episode/set of episodes. Mine would be "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances".

d3-ad

Postby d3-ad » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:13 am UTC

I agree about Chris Ecclectison (or however you spell his name, ninth doctor). He was more militaristic, and much more serious and mysterious. But now he's in a movie...about the last of a race of time travelers. Go figure.

Spoiler:
Ending

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:37 am UTC

d3-ad wrote:(And please, for the sake of the fans, keep important things in Spoiler Tags. I had the last episode of series three spoiled for me, and it ruined the entire show.)

Aw, anyone who knowingly spoils things is just an arsehole. So, have you seen it yet?

Has anyone else heard that Kylie Minogue's going to be in the Christmas special?

Also I think Catherine Tate might be in it too (seeing as she's going to be in series 4).

Edit:
d3-ad wrote:I agree about Christopher Eccleston (or however you spell his name, ninth doctor). He was more militaristic, and much more serious and mysterious. But now he's in a movie...about the last of a race of time travelers. Go figure.

*Is interested*

Also he was great in Heroes. I want more Eccleston!

And my favourite episode was possilbly the Christmas Invasion. Very Arthur Dent! and also I third Blink
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

lart

Postby lart » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:01 pm UTC

"blink" was excellent!

I would have liked to have seen more than one season with Eccleston, but Tennant is pretty good too.
Lost packet, 42 bytes, last seen on a saturated OC3, reward $$$.

MaximoBean

Postby MaximoBean » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:31 am UTC

Aww I love Tennant, might be just because I fancy him though.
I personally love Torchwood a little but more than Doctor who, if you haven't seen it you DEFIANTLY should, it has Captain Jack in it and soon to feature Martha.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:42 am UTC

There's just something about Tennant's quips that endeared me to him a lot more then Eccleston ever did. The example that keeps popping up in my head is the first part of the Torchwood episode:

Doctor Who wrote: [Upon being asked where his companion is]
The Doctor: Yes! Sorry, she's just a bit shy thats all. So here she is, Rose Tyler!
(He reaches into the TARDIS and pulls out Jackie who looks at him, horrified.)
The Doctor:She's not the best I ever had. Bit too blonde. Not too steady on her pins, a lot of that. (Mimes talking with his hand) And, just last week she stared into the heart of the time vortex and aged, 57 years, but she'll do.
Jackie: I'm 40!
The Doctor: Deluded. Bless. I'll need to trade her in. Do you need anyone? She's very good at tea... Well, I say very good I mean not bad. Well, I say not bad... Off we go then, allons-y, but not too fast, her ankle's going.
Jackie: I'll show you where my ankle's going!

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:01 am UTC

J'doon Platoon upon the Moon!

I loved both the Tennant Doctor and the Eccleston Doctor equally untilt he Family of Blood two parter where Tennant showed he could convincingly pull off being as much of a hardass as Eccleston.

I do wish we could have gotten more than one season of Eccleston, but Tennant was an excellent replacement.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:17 pm UTC

It took me a few episodes to get used to Tennant, but now I say he's definitely my favorite Doctor. My personal favorite episode's the last of Season 3; though there are still a couple episodes from Season 2 I missed... Like:
Spoiler:
The second cyberman deal where Rose is saved by being kept in an alternate universe. I missed all of that...

Maximo wrote:I personally love Torchwood a little but more than Doctor who, if you haven't seen it you DEFIANTLY should, it has Captain Jack in it and soon to feature Martha.

I'm really liking Torchwood as well. Much less than Doctor Who, but still.

Captain Jack was my favorite side-character in Doctor Who, so it was great seeing him again.

...it makes up for Gwen's Welsh accent... KF
~Kaiser

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:36 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I loved both the Tennant Doctor and the Eccleston Doctor equally untilt he Family of Blood two parter where Tennant showed he could convincingly pull off being as much of a hardass as Eccleston.

I do wish we could have gotten more than one season of Eccleston, but Tennant was an excellent replacement.

Eh... I disagree. Tennant grew on me but I don't think he'll ever match up to Eccleston as a hardass. Eccleston's performance had as much going on under the surface as it did on the face of things. Tennant's acting is a bit more telegraphed, and when he does horrible, necessary things he projects more necessity and less horribleness than Eccleston did.

In other news, has anyone seen this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who ... atal_Death
The idea of Rowan Atkinson playing The Doctor intrigues me.

I think I need to watch Eccleston's season again.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:36 am UTC

Yeah, I've seen that: its on youtube. Tho I saw the first part when it was on TV.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:40 pm UTC

While I agree that Christopher Eccleston was a pretty good doctor, I do think David Tennant is a better one, and I think the fact the 9th Doctor only lasted one season was pretty useful. You have to remember it was the first time Doctor Who had been on TV for 15 years, a lot of its current fans had never even heard of it, so the first season had to introduce the character almost completely, and regeneration is a major part of the Doctor Who character
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:17 pm UTC

Yeah, but it was basically 'cause Eccleston didn't want to do it any more.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:18 pm UTC

It's pretty common knowledge that Eccleston only ever intended to do one season because he didn't want to be typecast.

Ninja'd.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Skateside

Postby Skateside » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:06 pm UTC

Yeah, I'd heard that too. I'm just saying that the fact he only did one season worked pretty well for the re-introduction of the series
Skateside:
Spoiler:

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:25 am UTC

Apparently Rose is coming back? :shock:

Skateside

Postby Skateside » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:27 pm UTC

Interesting...
Skateside:
Spoiler:

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:38 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:Apparently Rose is coming back? :shock:

This should be good!

...although, personally, I like Freema Agyeman / Martha a bit more than Rose. But that might just have to do with my attraction to med students. KF
~Kaiser

Gravitas Shortfall

Postby Gravitas Shortfall » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:46 pm UTC

Rose was just obnoxious, and really not all that bright. My hope is that in bringing her back they'll use the opportunity to kill her off for real this time. Also, as long as they're disregarding all that "trapped in a parallel world" stuff, they should bring back Mickey; he would make a good companion, especially after gaining experience against the cybermen.
We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle. And if you should ever feel really happy, be patient. This will pass.
- Garrison Keillor -

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:59 pm UTC

Gravitas Shortfall wrote:Rose was just obnoxious, and really not all that bright. My hope is that in bringing her back they'll use the opportunity to kill her off for real this time. Also, as long as they're disregarding all that "trapped in a parallel world" stuff, they should bring back Mickey; he would make a good companion, especially after gaining experience against the cybermen.

Mickey was always rather underrated. I mean the Doctor took any attempt to take cracks at him, even though he completely acknowledged his abilities.

You know, like being able to hack into the British military defense systems like it was no big deal. And after the parallel-universe cyberman attack, being able to think ahead enough to infiltrate Torchwood and stash away a particle impactor just in case.

Mickey would be a good companion for a few episodes, but not as a permanent one. Seems like they'll always be sticking to having a female companion as the main one.

...just, not Catherine Tate, please. I liked the Christmas special she was in, but I wouldn't want to see her constantly coming back. KF
~Kaiser

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:15 pm UTC

Speaking of the Christmas special, I have really high hopes for this upcoming one. It's pretty obvious the Doctor is going to be on the Titanic...but he's already been on it (implied through a couple offhand comments in the first season). I really, really hope this means Doctor Nine and Doctor Ten (that is, Eccleston and Tennant) will run into each other at some point, with Tennant knowing exactly who Eccleston is, whilst being forced to keep his own identity concealed (or something). I trust hilarity to ensue, in any case.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

Martha annoys me a bit more than Rose, to be honest. I don't know exactly why. I think maybe because she's supposed to be educated and intelligent, but she keeps showing examples of inane cluelessness that don't really feel believable. Maybe it's only nostalgia that keeps me from remembering Rose doing the same thing? I don't know. Maybe I just don't like her stupid face. STUPID FACE

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:50 pm UTC

*Sigh*

It just doesn't feel the same. I grew upon on Tom Baker as The Doctor and no-one else has really managed to replace him for me. I tried to watch these series', but it's never felt like Dr. Who to me, maybe a bit too mainstream culture now.

I don't know. I chalk it up as another thing from my childhood maimed.

d3-ad

Postby d3-ad » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

They definitely changed the mood from the original series to the new one. Personally, I like the hour-long episodes better, but they were also the ones I saw first. So it's hard to say for sure.

Spoiler:
Ending

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:08 am UTC

I'm a semi-fan of the new shows. I'd say there were episodes of the first season that were great but so many really shitty episodes in season 2. Season 3 was getting better but it still goes over the top with either silly-ness, cheesy-ness or stupid-ness far too often.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Skateside

Postby Skateside » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:07 pm UTC

I'm so cool I've got a Doctor Who advent calendar!

Didn't get a chocolate today though :( got a Dalek pencil-top instead
Skateside:
Spoiler:

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:15 pm UTC

Skateside wrote:I'm so cool I've got a Doctor Who advent calendar!

Does it come with an eraserhead so you can exterminate your mistakes?

...sorry, couldn't resist.

What's Doctor Who-themed, anyway? The calendar, or the things inside? KF
~Kaiser

quix

Postby quix » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:12 pm UTC

Yay Dr. Who!!

I've been a fan of this show since the third doctor, Jon Pertwee (please don't do the math) and I've been thrilled with the comeback the new series has garnered. Just because everyone else issued their .02, I'll comment that between the two I enjoyed Christopher Eccleston's performance more then David Tennant's, but I'd like to caveat that by saying that David has more then stepped up to the role and I have zero complaints about him. He's like a good blend of Tom Baker and Peter Davison I believe (who say the Children in Need special?! So wonderful!!)

Thanks for the news about Rose coming back! I liked her much more then Martha, mostly because I felt Martha "unrequited love" for the Doctor was way too heavy-handed and made her seem really whiny and emo. Personally, I long for the days when the Doctor had no libido and all of his traveling companions were simply that. The Rose/Doctor thing was annoying to me despite the emotional depth it added to at the end.

I'm really dubious about Catherine Tate. She was less then ideal in the last Christmas special, but I did see some potential.

EDIT:

You rule! Can I get one too?

Please don't double post.

Skateside

Postby Skateside » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:50 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:

Does it come with an eraserhead so you can exterminate your mistakes?

...sorry, couldn't resist.

Alas, no :(
Edit: besides, I'm not too sure I'm comfortable with the idea of something as evil and powerful as a Dalek being progressively worn out by graphite :P

Kizyr wrote:What's Doctor Who-themed, anyway? The calendar, or the things inside? KF

The calendar has a big picture of a Cyberman on the front and all, or at least most, of the pictuers on the chocolates are the TARDIS, and the free toys are Doctor Who themed too :)

quix wrote:You rule! Can I get one too?

I think I found mine in Tesco, so you'll probably see them around in various supermarkets, if they haven't chaged all their seasonal stock to Valentine's Day yet
Skateside:
Spoiler:

trickster721

Postby trickster721 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:34 am UTC

So now Rose is coming back, and the Doctor is leaving. They're doing a good job juggling these characters so that we recognize at least one of these people at any given time. You know, in America actors are considered lucky if they get to do one good show for seven years and are then typecast for the rest of their lives and never work again. And we make them do thirty episode seasons. And we whip them with bamboo.

Personally, I'm hoping to get some other companions in there for the long haul and break up this One Doctor / One Chick Who Digs Him formula. It's not like they don't meet enough interesting candidates.

quix

Postby quix » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:49 pm UTC

trickster721 wrote:So now Rose is coming back, and the Doctor is leaving

Wait, what? The Doctor is leaving?? I missed the memo, what's going on?

trickster721 wrote:Personally, I'm hoping to get some other companions in there for the long haul and break up this One Doctor / One Chick Who Digs Him formula. It's not like they don't meet enough interesting candidates.

Amen to that!! Some of the best episode ever in the history of Dr. Who were when they had multiple companions. Adric, Nyssa, & Tegan. Turlough.. *cough* Nyssa & Tegan. Oo! Teela & K-9! ...K-9 counts right?

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:52 pm UTC

I prefer hard SF, but it has some entertainment value. "The Family of Blood" very nearly made me cry.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:55 pm UTC

Because you thought it was sad, or terrible? I really liked The Family of Blood; I remember thinking it had just the right amount of quirkiness that most of the episodes since Eccleston had either been missing or went overboard with.

d3-ad

Postby d3-ad » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:38 pm UTC

quix wrote:
trickster721 wrote:So now Rose is coming back, and the Doctor is leaving

Wait, what? The Doctor is leaving?? I missed the memo, what's going on?

Tennant's contract lasts until 2009. The fourth season will air in 2008, and then in 2009 they will take a year off, with only "bank holiday specials". Then the fifth season will start in 2010.

So this doctor isn't going anywhere for a while, at least not according to Wikipedia.

Spoiler:
Ending

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:49 pm UTC

trickster721 wrote:So now Rose is coming back, and the Doctor is leaving.
Wait, what? Rose is coming back?
Bakemaster wrote:Because you thought it was sad, or terrible?
Sad. It was also, I agree, quirky.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Rhaegar

Postby Rhaegar » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Yay Doctor Who \o/

Personally I'm looking forward to Rose coming back, especially if it's done as the Doctor in a compromising situation with Martha or Donna (Doesn't have to be romantic, just give that impression) for extra drama.

My favourite episode would have to be "The Girl in the Fireplace", it was the first one I saw and had me laughing my ass off, yet genuinely entertained from start to finish. Blink comes a close second though.

MaximoBean

Postby MaximoBean » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:56 am UTC

I just watched the 'Army of Ghosts' and 'Doomsday' episodes and I have to admit by the end I was crying my eyes out.

'Rose Tyler...I guess...if it's the last chance I have to say it...'

Gone.

That really tugged at these rusty heart strings hahaha.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:25 pm UTC

quix wrote: Some of the best episode ever in the history of Dr. Who were when they had multiple companions. Adric, Nyssa, & Tegan. Turlough.. *cough* Nyssa & Tegan. ...

For a second there, I thought 'why was Tegan on doctor who?' Then it all made sense again :P

Edit: just 'cause Tennant's contract only lasts til 2009, doesn't mean they won't renew it. Personally I would be in two minds about that - I like him, but it would be interesting to have a new doctor. And it should be a woman. Which leads me to my campaign: Helena Bonham Carter for doctor! :D :D :D make it so

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”