Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6075
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Jorpho » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:50 am UTC

I rather liked that. Though to me, the gaping plot hole was
Spoiler:
the complete lack of an external wound once people woke up. Not enough room in the makeup budget or something? I mean, having one of those things dissolving your brain for even a couple of minutes ought to at least leave one with a really terrible headache. It strikes me as brazenly inconsistent. Predictability I can forgive; this, not so much.

Kind of makes me wonder: does Moffat ever have disagreements with his coworkers, or is he turning into something like George Lucas running The Phantom Menace?

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5080
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Xeio » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:07 am UTC

Spoiler:
I was hoping from the start that Clara was the only one crabbed at all.

Humbug.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7536
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby phlip » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:52 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I rather liked that. Though to me, the gaping plot hole was
Spoiler:
the complete lack of an external wound once people woke up. Not enough room in the makeup budget or something? I mean, having one of those things dissolving your brain for even a couple of minutes ought to at least leave one with a really terrible headache. It strikes me as brazenly inconsistent. Predictability I can forgive; this, not so much.

Spoiler:
Especially since... didn't they make a point of that the first time around? Like, after the first false awakening, the fact that Clara didn't have a wound on her temple is what clued her into the fact that they were still in the dream in the first place...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
tomandlu
Posts: 1036
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:22 am UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby tomandlu » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:05 pm UTC

I loved it tbh. Good way to get FC into DW, and some of the jokes/conceits were good - the Doctor erasing people from his memory and not being able to tell old and young Clara apart were particular favourites.
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6075
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:23 am UTC

By the way, what happened to all those various people who were trying to assert creative ownership over the TARDIS and whatnot?

Steerpike
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:02 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Steerpike » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:51 pm UTC

Spoiler:
"My name is Davros."

:roll: *sigh* Really Moffat? Reeaaally?

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5593
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Angua » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:40 pm UTC

Yeah, I wasn't really feeling that episode. Waaaaaayyyyyyyy to contrived (and I say this as a regular of Dr Who).
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Flumble » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:06 pm UTC

I was hoping for the longest time
Spoiler:
...that "missy" was actually just a tesselector/projection by the hovering guy, but then my hopes were destroyed when both entered the scene and the hover guy turned out to be a snake.

I liked the contrived-ness, with the only exception above and
Spoiler:
that the invisible planet quickly became uninvisible and showed a regular Skaro with numerous buildings similar to the main building, though only the main building was exempted from invisibilizing for stupid plot some reason.


Also, because of my previous encounters with multi-episode stories, I already know that everything going wrong at the end of this part will be resolved with timy-whimy stuff in the next episode. So to me the cliffhanger was stretched out too long for an intended dramatic effect.
Spoiler:
Mostly because Clara, the master and the TARDIS were simply destroyed. I, for one, feel more emotional connection to people/things in captivity (and possibly the "hero"/"heroine" trying to save them) than people/things that aren't anymore.
Also, there's no "simple" destruction for main characters in DW. They are always resurrected to fill another couple of episodes or seasons before a 10-minute dramatic "goodbye" scene.


All in all, glad there's a new season in town. :D

User avatar
charliepanayi
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:26 pm UTC
Location: London, UK

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:03 pm UTC

I liked when it went all A Knight's Tale for a while.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

User avatar
Echo244
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am UTC
Location: Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Echo244 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:54 am UTC

Yeah, I loved the A Knight's Tale bit.

Spoiler:
Good to see Missy again, even if she is a bit murderous, it'd be nice for her to have some depth and complexity and not just be trampling down the well-worn pantomime villain path.

Missy getting zapped was predictable. But she can regenerate, so it's just a minor inconvenience. Clara and the Tardis getting zapped too... that's what means that all three are almost certainly just hidden in another layer of the planet-hiding illusion.

Maybe Davros is a nasty old man and the Daleks are choosing to not be so murderous. Maybe it's all an illusion by Davros, designed to teach the Doctor that compassion is right, even when it's the harder choice. But yeah, despite trying to be all cliffhangery, it couldn't be more obvious that Clara and the Tardis are fine, and that the Doctor isn't really going to murder young Davros.
Last edited by Echo244 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

rmsgrey
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:48 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:Yeah, I loved the A Knight's Tale bit. Good to see Missy again, even if she is a bit murderous, it'd be nice for her to have some depth and complexity and not just be trampling down the well-worn pantomime villain path.

Missy getting zapped was predictable. But she can regenerate, so it's just a minor inconvenience. Clara and the Tardis getting zapped too... that's what means that all three are almost certainly just hidden in another layer of the planet-hiding illusion.

Maybe Davros is a nasty old man and the Daleks are choosing to not be so murderous. Maybe it's all an illusion by Davros, designed to teach the Doctor that compassion is right, even when it's the harder choice. But yeah, despite trying to be all cliffhangery, it couldn't be more obvious that Clara and the Tardis are fine, and that the Doctor isn't really going to murder young Davros.


Missy's vortex manipulator could also have been her get-out-of-death card (and Clara's is slaved to it) - which just leaves the TARDIS to explain. Or, yeah, planet-hiding magic. Or timey-wimey rewriting when the Doctor does more thing with young Davros...

User avatar
Link
Posts: 1323
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am UTC
Location: ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Link » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:31 pm UTC

Keep it in spoilers please, folks!

Spoiler:
My biggest gripe with Moffat's run is that he's pretty much ruined the concept of death in DW for me. It was cool when it was just Rory, but now every character's come back from the dead about half a dozen times, and I just don't even get any "oh shit" feeling any more if someone gets shot or whatever. I really wish he had the guts to "pull an Adric", so to speak -- i.e. to really kill off a main character in an unexpected and not-very-glorious fashion. At this point, I'm not even convinced we've seen the last of Danny Pink, and even if we did, he already got to come back to say goodbye anyway. Yeah, yeah, kids' show and all that, but in any case, the whole "it's really broken now -- nope, Chuck Testa!" shtick has become very old to me.

That said, I found the episode quite enjoyable up to the last part. But that may be mostly due to the continuity porn and the fact that I was in a "yay, Doctor Who is back"-mood when I watched it.

I'm not really sure what to make of this episode's title ("The Magician's Apprentice"), though. It really doesn't appear to fit the plot.

User avatar
Echo244
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am UTC
Location: Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Echo244 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:24 am UTC

On characters dying:

Spoiler:
If you look closely, a few high-profile characters have been killed. Amy and Rory got all their potential eaten by the Weeping Angels. River Song was dead the last time we saw her. That fabulous UNIT geek with the bow tie (bow ties are cool!) got zapped by Missy. Danny Pink, of course.

OK, so they're all somewhat soft kills. Part of a noble cause, or happening neatly out of sight. But still dead. Apart from Clara and the Victorian London gang, who's left to kill?


On the episode title:

Spoiler:
The Magician's Apprentice is an odd title... but it's a two-parter at least, and the thing about magic is you never really see it until the end.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

User avatar
Link
Posts: 1323
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am UTC
Location: ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Link » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:On characters dying:

Spoiler:
If you look closely, a few high-profile characters have been killed. Amy and Rory got all their potential eaten by the Weeping Angels. River Song was dead the last time we saw her. That fabulous UNIT geek with the bow tie (bow ties are cool!) got zapped by Missy. Danny Pink, of course.

OK, so they're all somewhat soft kills. Part of a noble cause, or happening neatly out of sight. But still dead. Apart from Clara and the Victorian London gang, who's left to kill?
Spoiler:
I don't really consider Amy and Rory dead; they're just no longer available to interact with the Doctor. They're similar to Rose and Donna in that sense. It's a good way to write off a character without killing them, but it's not death. River Song is physically dead but her mind lives on in the Library mainframe. Her reversed timeline was brilliantly written, but The Name of the Doctor "cheapened" it quite a bit, in my opinion. Like I said, Danny Pink also got to come back to say goodbye. The UNIT geek, well, OK, I'll give you that one. :P

In any case, if you're going to kill a character, do it right. No magic cop-outs, no magic reset buttons, no posthumous two-way conversations -- and if you really want to use any of those, at the very least make them rare instead of twice per character per season. Otherwise, just skip the fake death and make it a near miss.

As for the "pulling an Adric", I'm not saying Moffat should kill a main character (because it's true that we don't have that many left), but if he does, Earthshock is, in my opinion, a textbook example of how to do it. It's an unexpected death, and Adric sacrificed himself in an attempt to do the right thing (but still failed). The silent credits with his gold star really drives the point home. Hell, Adric wasn't even a very likeable character, but the end of Earthshock is still probably the most heart-wrenching moment in Doctor Who.

User avatar
Echo244
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am UTC
Location: Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Echo244 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:00 am UTC

On the continued general topic of characters dying in various previous series:

Spoiler:
OK, so there are different interpretations of "dead" - after all, what happened to Amy and Rory was the terrifying thing that various Doctors were running round trying to stop the Angels from doing. But I take your point, locking Rose in an alternate universe (twice?), banning Donna from seeing the Doctor again were... ways of writing the characters out without having to kill them.

The posthumous conversation with Danny Pink was also probably a way to kill him while making it as "nice" as possible.

I'm with you on how to kill a character, but there aren't many left who haven't been nicely written out, so I'm not seeing much in the near future.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

rmsgrey
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:36 pm UTC

Something I've said before is that modern Doctor Who's Doctors are very clingy - in classic Who, the Assistants used to just wander off from time to time, while only one modern Companion has managed to just walk off - others have
Spoiler:
been banished to an inaccessible parallel universe, had their head rigged to explode if they ever met the Doctor again, or got lost behind a temporal paradox and died of old age.


Okay, a couple of one-shot Companions from the specials survived too, but anyone who's around for half a season needs a big, permanent exit that leaves them needing increasingly convoluted hand-waves in order to bring them back for guest slots...

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6075
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Jorpho » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:26 am UTC

Ooh, I liked this latest episode (Under The Lake). Easily better than most of last season. Except
Spoiler:
I kept watching the clock on my media player wind down knowing that the inevitable tacky Deus Ex Machina would materialize.

Of course, you know it's going to turn out that it was the Doctor inside the suspended animation capsule all along.


By the way, what's the deal with Aberdeen? I got the impression at some point that "Aberdeen" was somehow used in some contexts for a miscellaneous placeholder name, but I cannot seem to find any documentation to that effect.

User avatar
Echo244
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am UTC
Location: Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Echo244 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:29 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Spoiler:
Of course, you know it's going to turn out that it was the Doctor inside the suspended animation capsule all along.


Spoiler:
Yeah, and they'll have everything turn on the bravery of the translator guy who didn't read the writing, and is therefore safe from the ghosts... still, it's fun to watch, and while the escapes are predictable I'm still liking the two-parter format they've gone with this series. I hope they keep it up.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Flumble » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:52 pm UTC

We never got to talk about the previous two-parter, did we? I loved the conversation between the doctor and Davros, constantly seeming to outwit one another. Though, you know that in the end the doctor outwits him the most and Davros will miraculously survive to return in the next season.

Two-parters always* have the best stories. Can't the series just switch to an 80-minute format? :lol:
The plot may actually be as much as for a single episode (I'm quite sure you can fit the current two-parter in a single episode), but, to me, it becomes a lot more immersive.

Echo244 wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
Spoiler:
Of course, you know it's going to turn out that it was the Doctor inside the suspended animation capsule all along.


Spoiler:
Yeah, and they'll have everything turn on the bravery of the translator guy who didn't read the writing, and is therefore safe from the ghosts... still, it's fun to watch, and while the escapes are predictable I'm still liking the two-parter format they've gone with this series. I hope they keep it up.

Spoiler:
I accidentally read Jorpho's spoiler before watching it, but it turns out it wasn't really a spoiler :P

Also TIL: when making a base in a (possibly) haunted environment, make sure to build with plastics. Ghosts can't handle polymers.


*exceptions reserved, like Midnight and Blink and Turn Left and such (thinking about it, Turn Left crammed a lot of story in 40 minutes –luckily we knew most of it beforehand)

rmsgrey
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:29 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Two-parters always* have the best stories. Can't the series just switch to an 80-minute format? :lol:
The plot may actually be as much as for a single episode (I'm quite sure you can fit the current two-parter in a single episode), but, to me, it becomes a lot more immersive.


Yeah, the Power of Three episode a while back suffered from the decree that, in response to complaints about too many two-parters, they would only do stand-alone episodes that year - it had a decent part one, except that, in lieu of part two, where they come up with a clever and satisfying solution, they just had the Doctor pull out his magic wand and waves it a few times...

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6075
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Jorpho » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:17 am UTC

Mmm-hmm, pretty darn predictable, but neatly presented.

Spoiler:
Bit silly that a cell phone capable of having a conversation across time would suddenly be blocked by a Faraday cage. Oh well. Best not to think about most of the episode too hard.

User avatar
Echo244
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am UTC
Location: Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Echo244 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:09 pm UTC

On the latest episode:

Spoiler:
Yeah, predictable, but nicely presented - the explanation of the bootstrap paradox at the start, building up to the use of it at the end. Nice location. I like Capaldi playing his guitar. Sunglasses are annoying but kind of make sense.

Time-travelling nerd guy is totally not getting his memory wiped of the symbols, though, and totally going to let the ghosts kill him so he can spend the rest of time, or at least until the EM signals dissipate/whatever, with O'Donnell. Oh, and Cas and translator-guy being in love too was annoying, I mean was there anyone left on the crew not in love with each other?
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

rmsgrey
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:06 pm UTC

I liked the variant opening theme.

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby moody7277 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:04 pm UTC

Spoiler:
As soon as O'Donnell started squeeing about the TARDIS, I figured it was going to be Osgood all over again. Also, we're apparently to be on the lookout for a "Minister of War" in the next several episodes.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

rmsgrey
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:24 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
Spoiler:
As soon as O'Donnell started squeeing about the TARDIS, I figured it was going to be Osgood all over again. Also, we're apparently to be on the lookout for a "Minister of War" in the next several episodes.


Best guess for the upcoming is the Zygons. Okay, maybe that's a spoiler, but only if you haven't seen the titles of upcoming episodes.

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Flumble » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:58 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:I liked the variant opening theme.

Me too. Though it's still behind the eerie one from the Snowmen. (note the glissando in the lead –FANTASTIC! It's a shame none of the other opening themes have it.)

Echo244 wrote:On the latest episode:

Spoiler:
Yeah, predictable, but nicely presented - the explanation of the bootstrap paradox at the start, building up to the use of it at the end. Nice location. I like Capaldi playing his guitar. Sunglasses are annoying but kind of make sense.

Time-travelling nerd guy is totally not getting his memory wiped of the symbols, though, and totally going to let the ghosts kill him so he can spend the rest of time, or at least until the EM signals dissipate/whatever, with O'Donnell. Oh, and Cas and translator-guy being in love too was annoying, I mean was there anyone left on the crew not in love with each other?

Spoiler:
If "nerd guy" is in any way able to make a logical decision he'll go on with his life... possibly doing research into resurrection –after all, he is the archeologist/biologist/whatever his job was, right? He's going to find artefacts to bring back the dead, become the evil guy (or enslaved by an evil resurrected spirit) and the Doctor will come to save the day again. Well, that's my headcannon now. Not thinking about having himself killed to be chanting four words over and over without eyes.

Depending on how you mean "left on the crew": the investor and the soldier (who of course got killed first because he's black :P (tvtrope for the ignorant) ) are most probably not in love with eachother. And those six are miraculously the only personnel on a large underwater base.

Speaking of bases: why do they always have so many corridors? It's silly really.

rmsgrey
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:31 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Speaking of bases: why do they always have so many corridors? It's silly really.


One possibility is always that the base is designed for large numbers, but only a skeleton crew is currently present for whatever reason.

Also, even if you're only planning to send a small team from the beginning, if they're going to be isolated together for a significant period, then you're going to want to design for both the potential for privacy, and the opportunity for exercise - being able to move around the base without passing through other people's work-spaces is going to be a life-saver. Also, having redundant passages means that, in the case of an accidental breach, you can still access all other areas of the base rather than being cut off. If there is a breach, there's a reasonable chance of something important getting cut off because you don't want to cluster all your semi-critical systems in one place so one accident can take them all out at once (critical systems, sure - if you lose one, you're all dead anyway, so it doesn't matter if more than one is lost at the same time, so you might as well cluster them and protect them as heavily as you can manage) so having a loop rather than a linear corridor makes sense. It also makes more sense to have a loop when you're in space and using centrifugal "gravity" - places at the same distance from the axis will share the same gravity, so a wheel is the simplest shape - okay, a dumb-bell is simpler, but has the problem of gravity disappearing then reversing in the middle of the shaft.

So you want corridors (because wider connecting spaces would be extravagant) and you probably want at least one loop, giving you plenty of scope for running indefinitely...

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6075
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Jorpho » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:10 am UTC

Waaaa, that was so close to excellent. But of all the stupid Saturday-morning-cartoon plot devices! This is ... well, no, not quite so stupid as the golden arrow from last season. But pretty stupid.

Spoiler:
"Electric eels inhabit fresh waters of the Amazon and Orinoco River basins in South America."

And while I had to look that up, I was pretty sure beforehand that they weren't, you know, collected in barrels by Norwegian fishermen. And I was really sure that they don't generate large quantities of electricity on cue or do whatever that crap was.

Surely writers have managed to tackle the problem of how a primitive society might cook up a big batch of current without having to resort to electric freakin' eels!? The matter of "immortal" soldiers pales in comparison.
Eeeeugh.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5593
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Angua » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:28 pm UTC

'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

rmsgrey
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:56 pm UTC

Apples. Pretty sure the Vikings had apples.

Of course, industrial quantities of wire don't exactly fall out of the sky...

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Flumble » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:43 pm UTC

NOOOOOO, they put horns on the Viking helmets. At first I thought "well, they're probably fake Vikings; we've seen fake civs before", but they turned out to be the real bunch. :o

rmsgrey wrote:Of course, industrial quantities of wire don't exactly fall out of the sky...

Luckily the Doctor explicitly mentions to use the metal from the spacesuit.

By the way, any GoT watchers who can tell if there are witty references to the show/Maisie's character in this episode?

rmsgrey
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:59 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:NOOOOOO, they put horns on the Viking helmets. At first I thought "well, they're probably fake Vikings; we've seen fake civs before", but they turned out to be the real bunch. :o

rmsgrey wrote:Of course, industrial quantities of wire don't exactly fall out of the sky...

Luckily the Doctor explicitly mentions to use the metal from the spacesuit.

By the way, any GoT watchers who can tell if there are witty references to the show/Maisie's character in this episode?


Small point: vikings were groups of warriors carrying out a raid somewhere - "going viking" - the people staying at home were not vikings; they were just people. Or Norse people if you want an appropriate demonym. Their civilians saying "we are Vikings" is like an American saying "we are MacDonalds"

User avatar
Echo244
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am UTC
Location: Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Echo244 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:27 am UTC

I'm OK with Doctor Whom not being perfectly historically accurate regarding horns on helmets. The

Spoiler:
electric eels thing bugged me, though. And the way he just chucked them that spare immortality nano-medkit so she could spend the rest of time with that special someone she couldn't bear to lose...

...

...why doesn't the Doctor get spares of those, and use them on companions? Then he might not work his way through so many, and wouldn't have to be this tragic hero doomed to loneliness etc. etc.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6075
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Jorpho » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:11 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:
Spoiler:
...why doesn't the Doctor get spares of those, and use them on companions? Then he might not work his way through so many, and wouldn't have to be this tragic hero doomed to loneliness etc. etc.
No doubt that's a plot point ripe for lengthy exposition in some later episode.
Spoiler:
Presumably he's been around long enough to know that it's probably not a good idea for sanity reasons. The Mummy from last season springs readily to mind.

Also whatshername is probably going to turn out to be that Minister of War.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7536
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby phlip » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:23 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:
Spoiler:
...why doesn't the Doctor get spares of those, and use them on companions? Then he might not work his way through so many, and wouldn't have to be this tragic hero doomed to loneliness etc. etc.

Spoiler:
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out in the season finale that he was able to recover three of the things, keeping one for safekeeping, and some contrivance happens and he gives it to Clara.

... Only this is still Doctor Who, so some other contrivance will happen and Clara will make the ultimate sacrifice to pass it on to the guest star of the week, to let them live instead. But of course she'll survive anyway due to shenanigans because Doctor Who.

And then you'll look back to all the episodes in-between and retroactively realise all the people the Doctor decided weren't worth using his one-shot trump card to save.

Tell me that doesn't all sound like something that could happen...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Echo244
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am UTC
Location: Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Echo244 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:33 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
Spoiler:
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out in the season finale that he was able to recover three of the things, keeping one for safekeeping, and some contrivance happens and he gives it to Clara.

... Only this is still Doctor Who, so some other contrivance will happen and Clara will make the ultimate sacrifice to pass it on to the guest star of the week, to let them live instead. But of course she'll survive anyway due to shenanigans because Doctor Who.

And then you'll look back to all the episodes in-between and retroactively realise all the people the Doctor decided weren't worth using his one-shot trump card to save.

Tell me that doesn't all sound like something that could happen...


Spoiler:
That doesn't all sound like something that could happen...

Gosh, I'm really getting the hang of this "lying" thing! ;-P

Especially true given that at the end of last series, Danny Pink - Clara's buyfriend - got that one-shot-trump card to come back from the dead, and instead used it to somehow magically resurrect the kid he'd unwittingly grenaded in Afghanistan. And if there's anything the Doctor Who people like doing, it's reusing things...
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

rmsgrey
Posts: 2986
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:50 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:
phlip wrote:
Spoiler:
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out in the season finale that he was able to recover three of the things, keeping one for safekeeping, and some contrivance happens and he gives it to Clara.

... Only this is still Doctor Who, so some other contrivance will happen and Clara will make the ultimate sacrifice to pass it on to the guest star of the week, to let them live instead. But of course she'll survive anyway due to shenanigans because Doctor Who.

And then you'll look back to all the episodes in-between and retroactively realise all the people the Doctor decided weren't worth using his one-shot trump card to save.

Tell me that doesn't all sound like something that could happen...


Spoiler:
That doesn't all sound like something that could happen...

Gosh, I'm really getting the hang of this "lying" thing! ;-P

Especially true given that at the end of last series, Danny Pink - Clara's buyfriend - got that one-shot-trump card to come back from the dead, and instead used it to somehow magically resurrect the kid he'd unwittingly grenaded in Afghanistan. And if there's anything the Doctor Who people like doing, it's reusing things...


I disagree.

Spoiler:
My guess would be that (if there is a spare medpatch) Clara gets immortality, and then she and the Doctor break up because of how much he's changed her, and his guilt over it.

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby moody7277 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:10 am UTC

Spoiler:
So, I seem to remember someone predicting that who the Master Mistress killed was Zygon!Osgood. Whoever it was, congratulations it looks like from the preview for next week proves you right. You win a cookie.

Also, the moral appears to be that immortality sucks until the mid 19th century, at which time technology advances fast enough so that it's no longer boring.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5593
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Angua » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:54 am UTC

Was not a fan of this week's Dr Who:
Spoiler:
The Doctor's reasoning for not taking Ishielda seemed a bit poor. Ishielda is going to probably forget this again in a few decades or so. They aren't going to keep Sam Swift alive to give her some company, so that lesson is either useless or foreshadowing that this is getting worse.

Also, how come Jack never seemed to lose all his memories.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6075
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Jorpho » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:13 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, how come Jack never seemed to lose all his memories.
Spoiler:
Maybe he was going to? He only wound up in the mid 19th century, so he was less than 200 years old when encountering the Doctor again. Or maybe it was because he had a much more thorough kind of immortality. Or maybe the 19th century onwards is just so much nicer, as moody7277 suggests.


Return to “Movies and TV Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests