Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mambrino

Re: Doctor Whom

Postby Mambrino » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24362794

Apparently of those 75 countries about 6 are not covered by BBC entertainment, and it seems that our national broadcasting company Yle is included. I don't know if this is wise and reasonable use of taxpayers' money, but I guess this is how it feels to be 'overjoyed'.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

Mambrino wrote:

Apparently of those 75 countries about 6 are not covered by BBC entertainment, and it seems that our national broadcasting company Yle is included. I don't know if this is wise and reasonable use of taxpayers' money, but I guess this is how it feels to be 'overjoyed'.

Yeah, but most of Europe gets BBC anyway, right? Or is that just here in The Netherlands?

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Mambrino wrote:

Yeah, but most of Europe gets BBC anyway, right? Or is that just here in The Netherlands?

You get BBC without any additional cost'? :shock:

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

Mambrino wrote:
ArgonV wrote:
Mambrino wrote:

BBC1, BBC2, BBC International and BBC World News are included yeah. Just as the public Belgian stations, major German stations, French TV5 and France 2, Italian Rai Uno, Spanissh TVE, Turkish TRT Türk and CNN and Aljazeera :P

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Mambrino wrote:
ArgonV wrote:
Mambrino wrote:

BBC1, BBC2, BBC International and BBC World News are included yeah. Just as the public Belgian stations, major German stations, French TV5 and France 2, Italian Rai Uno, Spanissh TVE, Turkish TRT Türk and CNN and Aljazeera :P

Just because they are included in your cable subscription doesn't mean you don't pay for 'em. Though I don't think they are very expensive. Also not all cable suppliers have the same stations, for example some exclude BB2, which is hugely frustrating since that's where most of the good British series are.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
ArgonV wrote:
Mambrino wrote:
ArgonV wrote:
Mambrino wrote:

Just because they are included in your cable subscription doesn't mean you don't pay for 'em. Though I don't think they are very expensive. Also not all cable suppliers have the same stations, for example some exclude BB2, which is hugely frustrating since that's where most of the good British series are.

Hate to sound pedantic, but the question was not whether I pay for them or not, the question was if they come without additional cost. They do :wink:

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:18 am UTC

I fail to understand why I cannot see something like this or the Christmas special on the big screen at the local cinema. Surely they could pack the place?

Unless they're streaming it online for free, I'm just going to have to download it from somewhere after broadcast, as usual.

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Diadem wrote:
ArgonV wrote:
Mambrino wrote:
ArgonV wrote:
Mambrino wrote:

Hate to sound pedantic, but the question was not whether I pay for them or not, the question was if they come without additional cost. They do :wink:

Well, my point was that this way I get to watch Doctor Who without delay and most likely legally. I don't have a TV-set, so I'm counting on that Yle also bought a licence to stream it (like they did with all the other Doctor episodes they've aired this far, but they weren't 'grand simultaneous worldwide airing' so I don't know), but even if that's not the case, given that national public broadcaster's channels are, erhm, public, I just need to find someone with a TV set (which is much easier than finding someone who, say, had both a TV and also paid for necessary BBC channels. As of my understanding, the common cable channels a typical end user gets 'for free' include only the public and the advertising-based channels.)

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:39 am UTC

any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

I work for a local newspaper. I've just written a story which mentioned Peter Capaldi in which I referred to him as 'the new Doctor Who'.

It hurt, but I know my editor would not have let me get away with calling him 'the 12th incarnation of the doctor in Doctor Who'. It just takes up too much space.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

Rodion Raskolnikov wrote:I work for a local newspaper. I've just written a story which mentioned Peter Capaldi in which I referred to him as 'the new Doctor Who'.

I am firmly of the opinion that this is perfectly acceptable as long as Doctor Who has not yet been mentioned in the article.
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

The local cinema is having a screening of the 50th anniversary episode on the Sunday at 10am.

No, actually they're having two screenings, the second one at noon opened up because the 10am one sold out.

Wait, the noon one's filling up pretty quickly, so now there's a second 10am screening.

And now both the not-sold-out-yet screenings are halfway full. Amazingly, I have booked 8 not-too-bad seats at the noon one. Damn expensive though, even for a 3D movie.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:45 am UTC

Ahh, Cineplex is doing it in Canada after all. I wonder how fast tickets will sell out?
http://www.cineplex.com/News/Doctor-Who ... creen.aspx

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Ahh, Cineplex is doing it in Canada after all. I wonder how fast tickets will sell out?
http://www.cineplex.com/News/Doctor-Who ... creen.aspx

If it's anything like here, very. As in, don't blink.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:14 am UTC

The website was definitely very dodgy when it went live, but I was eventually successful.

It's too bad about the Real3D; I do not care for 3D at all. Oh well.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:The website was definitely very dodgy when it went live, but I was eventually successful.

It's too bad about the Real3D; I do not care for 3D at all. Oh well.

Just close one eye.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

or, if you have at least two pairs of real3D glasses, swap one of the lenses with the lens from the other eye.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

New mini-episode:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... he_Doctor/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

Hopefully at least one of those works outside the UK...
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

Well, that was a couple of flavors of unexpected.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

Not entirely unexpected, as I had heard some speculation that it was a doctor between 8 and 9(i guess he's 10 now...)

So, does this make the stakes higher for the next Doctor?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Not entirely unexpected, as I had heard some speculation that it was a doctor between 8 and 9(i guess he's 10 now...)

So, does this make the stakes higher for the next Doctor?

It was pretty clear from the moment John Hurt was revealed that he was the Warrior, the War Doctor, the Doctor during the Time War, the man who ended the War, destroyed Gallifrey, etc, etc.

The Ninth Doctor acted like he'd regenerated fairly recently - checking out facial features, etc - so the previous assumption was that the Eighth Doctor was the one who "won" the Time War.

The McGann->Hurt regeneration was very much not by the usual rules, so who knows what effect it had on the Doctor's original limit.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

I like that they acknowledged a bunch of 8th's companions, given that they were all from the expanded universe and that doesn't often get a mention.
pollywog wrote:

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:38 am UTC

Why did Eccleston have to be such a party pooper? Filming 12 episodes couldn't have been that traumatic, could it?

I'm left wondering if the writers actually intended #9 to be the "War Doctor" in an initial draft of the script partially as an attempt to make the role seem more appealing to him.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:43 am UTC

keep in mind it isn't the first time the doctor has drunk from that chalice, and that the chalice doesn't give new regenerations, unless the rules have changed since the Brain of Morbius. It is supposed to directly heal and give ternal life, without the need for renewal. Unless I miss my guess, the only reason it triggered a regeneration is that he was already dead.—it brought him back enough to real life that the regeneration that had been stopped by his sudden death could activate.
“have i gone mad?

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:49 am UTC

ConMan wrote:I like that they acknowledged a bunch of 8th's companions, given that they were all from the expanded universe and that doesn't often get a mention.

Ooh, yeah, it also makes them canon so that's cool.
Are McGann's audio dramas, or audio drama's in general, worth listening to?
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:
ConMan wrote:I like that they acknowledged a bunch of 8th's companions, given that they were all from the expanded universe and that doesn't often get a mention.

Ooh, yeah, it also makes them canon so that's cool.
Are McGann's audio dramas, or audio drama's in general, worth listening to?

i would like to know this as well, with the proviso of "which ones should I seek out to buy, given that trying to buy them all would break me financially so many times over that it could be measured in Hz.
“have i gone mad?

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

I thought the mini episode was pretty awesome. It was great to see the 8th doctor return (he was quite right, it wasn't the doctor I was expecting). It was pretty clear from the last episode that Hurt was the 'war doctor' who ended the time war, and now we know how he came to be.

I've never been bothered by the 13 regenerations limit. I've never seen the original series after all, and this limit has never been mentioned in the new series. I read somewhere though that even in the original series it's just a Gallifrean law, not an actual physical limitation, so there's no reason the doctor should stop regenerating after he reaches 13.

And thus I'm also entirely fine with "He didn't behave as The Doctor, and thus doesn't count as a regeneration". The continuation of personality is what keeps The Doctor the same doctor after each regeneration - if he had a radically different one it makes sense to not count that.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

I thought the mini-sode was neat. Not really getting the super-hyped reaction other people get, but I didn't watch old-who so I guess it's understandable. Definitely would watch more mini-sodes with the 8th Doctor. Or any Doctor, really.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:I've never been bothered by the 13 regenerations limit. I've never seen the original series after all, and this limit has never been mentioned in the new series. I read somewhere though that even in the original series it's just a Gallifrean law, not an actual physical limitation, so there's no reason the doctor should stop regenerating after he reaches 13.

Well, back in the original series, the Time Lords were certainly capable of granting additional sets of regenerations. That was a pretty normal theme for the Master storylines, as well as in Trial of a Time Lord. The latter is particularly significant if they're calling Hurt's Doctor the Valeyard as someone said on the previous page. (I'm woefully behind on my modern Who (ie, Tennant's first season is the most recent one I've seen) and am currently binge-watching to try and catch up by Christmas. So please don't take anything I'm writing here as anything more than spectacularly ill-informed speculation.) Given that, it's certainly possibly that the limit no longer applies without the other Time Lords around, but it does seem like it would be a shame to just throw away a perfectly good potential storyline. I mean, I fully expect them to write their way around the limit one way or the other. Just that they might as well tell a story about it rather than having it just be a case of, "oh, hey, btw, no more Gallifrey means to no limits on regeneration."

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:16 am UTC

Valeyard existed between the doctor's last and penultimate regenerations so 8.5 is definitely not Valeyard.

I can't remember who it was who said it, but one of the people involved in the show said something which stuck with me: that the regeneration limit was a law more like the speed limit than the law of universal gravitation and that, without the time lords, it certainly wouldn't be binding, but that the regenerations would become less stable and more unpredictable. That could also make for a nod at the old canon whilst still writing their way out of it with something interesting (rather than just "regen limit? lolnope!").
my pronouns are they

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:48 am UTC

I was just saying a couple of months back that they need to get McGann in to fill in some of the Time War stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

But I do not know how McGann to Hurt is going to fly. The required level of retconning is beyond this ship's abilities, we need moor poower.
a) Please explain the specific MEDICAL reason for ordering this MEDICATION !
b) Please state the nature of your ailment or injury.
c) One a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?
d) Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

What retconning?

We never saw 8 regenerate into 9 and, as has been said, 9 seemed to be quite new to the body when we first saw him. Seeing as the regen limit's never really been as rigid as people often seem to remember it as being, and that 11 (and presumably 9 and 10) don't view 8.5 as a doctor, I'm not seeing any contradictions that need retconning.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:I've never been bothered by the 13 regenerations limit. I've never seen the original series after all, and this limit has never been mentioned in the new series. I read somewhere though that even in the original series it's just a Gallifrean law, not an actual physical limitation, so there's no reason the doctor should stop regenerating after he reaches 13.

And thus I'm also entirely fine with "He didn't behave as The Doctor, and thus doesn't count as a regeneration". The continuation of personality is what keeps The Doctor the same doctor after each regeneration - if he had a radically different one it makes sense to not count that.

I prefer to think that he's regenerated a ton of times, and we just haven't seen all of them. Because 900 really isn't that old...

tomandlu

Postby tomandlu » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Rodion Raskolnikov wrote:I work for a local newspaper. I've just written a story which mentioned Peter Capaldi in which I referred to him as 'the new Doctor Who'.

It hurt, but I know my editor would not have let me get away with calling him 'the 12th incarnation of the doctor in Doctor Who'. It just takes up too much spaaace.

Just as well, as it turns out. Maybe your editor knew something you didn't? ;)
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?

tomandlu

Postby tomandlu » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Why did Eccleston have to be such a party pooper? Filming 12 episodes couldn't have been that traumatic, could it?

I'm left wondering if the writers actually intended #9 to be the "War Doctor" in an initial draft of the script partially as an attempt to make the role seem more appealing to him.

He's been pretty cagey, but it's become apparent that there were some real personality clashes with a major producer. Whether that's Davies or someone else, I don't know.

However... I suspect he will turn up in the special for the regeneration from the War Doctor, and they've kept it under wraps. I'm willing to bet my collection of crystals from Metebelis Three on it - any takers?
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Valeyard existed between the doctor's last and penultimate regenerations so 8.5 is definitely not Valeyard.

Oh, I know how the Valeyard originally fit into things. I'm not entirely sure that timeline exists anymore though. The whole Time War thing (deliberately) makes continuity a very fuzzy concept. Since the ToaTL-Valeyard exists in the Doctor's subjective future *and* is intimatey tied to Gallifrey, it'd be pretty easy for them to just scrap that. Since we know the potential for the Valeyard is there with the Doctor, if they wanted to say that the Time War caused the Valeyard to emerge earlier than it was "supposed" to, I'd pretty much shrug my shoulders and roll with it. It'd make as much sense as anything in Doctor Who ever does.

(Which should not be taken as anything resembling a prediction that they will or statement that they should call 8.5 the Valeyard. I'd originally just mentioned the Valeyard at all as evidence that additional regenerations could be granted back in the classic series. Then I went back and read the previous page of this thread and thought that maybe the reference was more pertinent than I'd originally realized.)

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

tomandlu wrote:
Jorpho wrote:Why did Eccleston have to be such a party pooper? Filming 12 episodes couldn't have been that traumatic, could it?

He's been pretty cagey, but it's become apparent that there were some real personality clashes with a major producer. Whether that's Davies or someone else, I don't know.

However... I suspect he will turn up in the special for the regeneration from the War Doctor, and they've kept it under wraps. I'm willing to bet my collection of crystals from Metebelis Three on it - any takers?

I already have my fingers crossed for this. After what happened in tNotD, it would make a lot of sense for tDotD to finish with John Hurt doing some kind of massive sacrifice, triggering his regeneration, and allowing for a quick Eccleston cameo.
pollywog wrote:

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:09 am UTC

Does seem odd.

I mean Tom Baker refused to be in The Five, but I mean he had had 8 years of it, 173 episodes.

Eckythump could have asked for quite a tidy sum of money for basically a cameo, you'd think.

But he does speak of it all with some disdain. I saw him in interview a year ago asked about Matt Smith as The Doctor, and he said, "I've seen Matt on stage, I've not seen as the Doctor, but I've seen him on stage, he's an excellent actor."

As others have noted, he couldn't have been much involved in the Time Wars, as it's clear he regenerated shortly before the events of Rose. So it was always going to be McGann, or someone new.

Still, he might be tricking us all and actually pop up in TDOTD.

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:55 am UTC

On the issue of referring to The Doctor as Doctor Who, I think that it is fine in a headline etc, for brevity.

Note that there was a serial called "Doctor Who and the Silurians", strongly implying that the authors were referring to The Doctor by that name.

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

Okay, here’s an idea. There is very strong mail that Tom Baker is going to be in this, due to CGI and old footage with new voicework. Maybe 8.5 will go back and do what 4 wouldn’t do in Genesis of the Daleks, and destroy them before they begin.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”