Doctor Whom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Re: Doctor Who

Postby Maseiken » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:Oh, gods, if you hate Torchwood now, DO NOT finish the first season. There was one good episode first season, and that was Countrycide. That's it. The finale is terrible. DO NOT WATCH IT. Skip to season 2. Watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Watch Adam. If you like Martha, watch Reset. Watch Fragments, that one's great. And I love the ending in Exit Wounds. Season one is definitely only for fangirls, not fanboys*. As I am both, I enjoyed watching S1. But I definitely DO NOT recommend finishing it.

*Definitions. Fangirls are people who are excited about every aspect of a character or actor. Fanboys are people who are excited by continuity and in-jokes and plot. To put it simply, You fangirl over the Doctor, you fanboy over the Bad Wolf that's everywhere.

I-uh... I do both.

Then again, having discovered at a recent anime convention that at least half of my brain belongs to a twelve year old Girl, perhaps it's not surprising.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

I do both, too. But I like making tiny distinctions between related concepts for no reason. :P
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:49 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:I do both, too. But I like making tiny distinctions between related concepts for no reason. :P

Ooh, I LOVE doing that.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:24 pm UTC

I've been watching the new who from the beginning. I've just noticed that Martha Jones gets killed in Canary Wharf by Cybermen at the end of season 2. Well whaddaya know...
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I've been watching the new who from the beginning. I've just noticed that Martha Jones gets killed in Canary Wharf by Cybermen at the end of season 2. Well whaddaya know...

Didn't they have some throwaway line about a family member she had there to lampshade it? Spatio-Genetic multiplicity, indeed.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

Not that I recall. I'll have to rewatch season 3 as well.

Two-Fry

Postby Two-Fry » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

Random question: has anyone else found bad wolf graffiti IRL? I saw it written all over the school bathroom today, and was amazed by the awesomeness of some people at my school. I'll try to get pictures later.
podbaydoor wrote:^What this person said.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:I've been watching the new who from the beginning. I've just noticed that Martha Jones gets killed in Canary Wharf by Cybermen at the end of season 2. Well whaddaya know...

Didn't they have some throwaway line about a family member she had there to lampshade it? Spatio-Genetic multiplicity, indeed.

in smith and jones she said she had a cousin adiola (spelling?) who died at canary wharf.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

Two-Fry wrote:Random question: has anyone else found bad wolf graffiti IRL? I saw it written all over the school bathroom today, and was amazed by the awesomeness of some people at my school. I'll try to get pictures later.

I've done it in the dirt in people's car windows before.

Well. You heard him.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:06 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:

in smith and jones she said she had a cousin adiola (spelling?) who died at canary wharf.

Yeah, RTD re-uses actors all the time. Adiola and Martha, Caecillius from Fires of Pompeii and Frobisher from Children of Earth; Gwen Cooper of Torchwood and "Gwenyth" of The Unquiet Dead; "Dr." Sato from Aliens of London and Toshiko Sato of Torchwood (and you can tell that they hardly cared that they re-used her, they only mention it once, and the characters are completely different). even the new Companion was a Soothsayer from Fires of Pompeii.

Two-Fry wrote:Random question: has anyone else found bad wolf graffiti IRL? I saw it written all over the school bathroom today, and was amazed by the awesomeness of some people at my school. I'll try to get pictures later.

I try to spread it around my school. So far it's only been on a few desks, but I plan to get it everywhere eventually.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
-Sexy

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:59 am UTC

Actually, there was an exchange about Toshiko filling in for Owen because he was too drunk to work during AoL... I think it was in the S2 finale, but I'm not sure on that, for which I thank god, because I do not want to know Torchwood that well. Or is that what you were talking about? Gwen and Gwenyth was lampshaded by some soothsayer or something sometime in S1... An ancestor of hers or something was their explanation. Yeah, they're pretty shameless about it.

Also, apparently he's REALLY not very creative about names.

In my high school someone writing on my desk called me a ho. I corrected their spelling and asked (in pictoral form) why they were likening me to a farming implement. I was pretty sheltered. Oh yeah, and this was a private Christian school. I still find that pretty hilarious. So, uh, no, no awesome Bad Wolf-writing students for me. Sigh. :)

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:56 am UTC

Yeah, they blatantly reused the name "Sato" and Naoko Mori (the actress), while writing a completely different character. Yep, second season finale, Exit Wounds. Tosh is dying, Owen is going to die again, and the line is "Space Pigs". Also, I don't remember if they mention the Gwen/yth thing in Unquiet Dead, but they do in Stolen Earth/Journey's End (1st two-part Fourth Season Finale. 2nd two-part Fourth Season Finale being this Christmas and New Year.)

And yes, he's bad with names. So bad, in fact, that he used the actor Gareth David-Lloyd in something he wrote, and called him "Yanto Jones". and then he used him again in Torchwood, and called him "Ianto Jones".

There's Ianto Jones and Martha Jones (and their families) and Harriet Jones and Eugene Jones (TW: Random Shoes); Mickey Smith and Sarah Jane Smith* and John Smith**. Lucy Saxon and Lucy Cartwright, Proper Dave and Other Dave; John Smith** and John Hart (and technically Ianto means John, too).

*Technically not his, but he could have planned for that and used less Smiths***.
**Which is the Doctor's alias, but ia also a real person in Human Nature and the Family of Blood.
***All three of the Smiths represented were in the episode School Reunion in Season 2, John Smith used as an alias.

Note: I did not know all of these by heart. Just most.
-Sexy

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:Yeah, they blatantly reused the name "Sato" and Naoko Mori (the actress), while writing a completely different character. Yep, second season finale, Exit Wounds. Tosh is dying, Owen is going to die again, and the line is "Space Pigs". Also, I don't remember if they mention the Gwen/yth thing in Unquiet Dead, but they do in Stolen Earth/Journey's End (1st two-part Fourth Season Finale. 2nd two-part Fourth Season Finale being this Christmas and New Year.)

And yes, he's bad with names. So bad, in fact, that he used the actor Gareth David-Lloyd in something he wrote, and called him "Yanto Jones". and then he used him again in Torchwood, and called him "Ianto Jones".

There's Ianto Jones and Martha Jones (and their families) and Harriet Jones and Eugene Jones (TW: Random Shoes); Mickey Smith and Sarah Jane Smith* and John Smith**. Lucy Saxon and Lucy Cartwright, Proper Dave and Other Dave; John Smith** and John Hart (and technically Ianto means John, too).

*Technically not his, but he could have planned for that and used less Smiths***.
**Which is the Doctor's alias, but ia also a real person in Human Nature and the Family of Blood.
***All three of the Smiths represented were in the episode School Reunion in Season 2, John Smith used as an alias.

Note: I did not know all of these by heart. Just most.

Wow, I never realized this, but RTD is pretty much the worst writer with names in the entire world...

steewi

Postby steewi » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:11 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:Wow, I never realized this, but RTD is pretty much the worst writer with names in the entire world...

Not the worst. He just needs to be left off the actual writing team, and just stick to conceptualisation and ideas. He can leave the specifics to others.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:51 am UTC

steewi wrote:
Maseiken wrote:Wow, I never realized this, but RTD is pretty much the worst writer with names in the entire world...

Not the worst. He just needs to be left off the actual writing team, and just stick to conceptualisation and ideas. He can leave the specifics to others.

Well, I keep having to remind myself that this is also the man who wrote Midnight and Children of Earth, which were amazing. I also loved Turn Left (which was a great idea from RTD, considering he could break canon all he wanted).

Speaking of CoE,

I OWN IT!!!!!!!!!!! Early birthday present!!!!!!!!!!!!! *happy dance* Now, all I have to do is watch two episodes of Firefly and Serenity, take a day off so I stop calling both Captain Jack and Captain Kirk "Mal" (or, what's worse, Ianto and Spock are "Simon"), and then watch it all again. On DVD. With, according to the box, new music for Day Five. Meaning I'll then have to watch my recorded versions of Day Five, to compare.
-Sexy

Silverstorm42

Postby Silverstorm42 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:34 am UTC

Blink is my favorite episode too! *points at avatar*
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:22 am UTC

Did someone mention Blink and I missed it, or did you do a Midnight/Blink switch? I do those all the time, because the intent of those episodes is very similar (though personally, I though Blink was cute, not scary. Sally was awesome, and I wish she would come back.) It's also kind of awesome that Blink s by the next Head Writer, while Midnight is by the current. They really show off their styles.

Also, I saw your avatar somewhere else, and wondered if it was a Blink reference, or some JP reference I didn't get (as the only JP I've seen is Jared Padalecki, not Jurassic Park.)
-Sexy

Silverstorm42

Postby Silverstorm42 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:16 am UTC

Weird, I made this avatar on Paint. Maybe there's one like it somewhere? I just thought it would be funny, since raptors were are really fast.

Random question: Which are better, Daleks or Cybermen?
I vote for Daleks, definitely. I wanted to be one for Halloween this year, but I'm much too tall and it would ruin the effect. (If I was a midget I would make a great Dalek.) So I'm going to be a weeping angel instead.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:23 am UTC

Daleks. You could never kill a Dalek by making it realize how evil it is. Make a Dalek realize how evil it is, and it goes batshit insane and starts doing all kinds of crazy plans, arguably ending up more dangerous than before. Plus, the Cybermen are only better at dying.

Well. You heard him.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:45 am UTC

I agree, but I like Cybermen better, because they feel more like social commentary to me. Though, I still don't get the "make it see it's a robot, and it dies." I mean, yes, it might do that for some, but there had to have been a few people who weren't solely defined by their corporeal self that could have survived. It feels weak to me. Very weak plotting. I get that a lot of Canary Wharf had no idea what was going on, and the shock alone might have done them in, but I believe that people like Yvonne, who were smart enough to puzzle it out, wouldn't have died (unless they were Dalek-shot or turned off, of course.) These people were Torchwood for a reason. Torchwood 2 might have been terrible, but it looked like it had really high standards.

Though, I did like the Dalek from "Dalek", and Dalek Caan. Caan was spazzy-wavy awesome, and way smarter than the rest from the Cult of Skaro.

And, Silverstorm, I meant I saw it somewhere else on the board. Twilight topic.

Also, on the subject of Blink, I was watching a bit of Supernatural (specifically When the Levee Breaks and Lucifer Rising), and in it there's an angel statue at an Abbey, who looks vaguely creepy (due to the build up of the next scenes), but is praying. And I thought two things. First, "Cover your eyes or you'll get frozen." Second, after *bad spoilery thing* happened, "They should have had it weeping. It would have even made sense for people who didn't get the reference of having an Angel statue weeping, after what just happened in the episode."
-Sexy

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:13 pm UTC

Well, I was under the impression that they didn't die because they realized they were robots. They died because they realized they'd just been killing and maiming hundreds of people.

Well. You heard him.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:28 pm UTC

The explanation given was that the cybermen were dying out of grief over what they had become once the emotion suppressor was disabled. Most of them wouldn't have killed any humans yet. I suppose the Aesop is that human emotions are somehow inherently incompatible with a robotic body.

Plus, the Cybermen are only better at dying.

Am I the only one who thought that line sounded like something a 6 year old would say to another in a playground? It's like "Yeah? Yeah? Well... your mum!"

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:18 am UTC

I think that the Daleks said that in Army of Ghosts/Doomsday. So it's a quote, not an argument.

ALTERNATE SUBJECT (Halloween costume):
Spoiler:
I'm going to be a UNIT Captain for Halloween. Could anyone who owns the DVDs get me some full-body sreenshots of Captain Erisa Magumbo (Turn Left, Planet of the Dead), some close-ups of her medals (left side of her jacket), and some images of Captain Marion Price (The Sontaran Strategem/The Poison Sky)? It's not that necessary, but if you happen to be watching the episoes on your computer and remember this, would you mind? I kow the basics, I just want to make it as close as I can without spending too much money.

So far, I have for sure:
  • Red Beret (whih is realy all I need to let people know that I'm UNIT)
  • Black Leather Belt
  • White collared shirt
  • Black Tie
I can probably procure easily:
  • Shoes
  • Skirt
  • Pins (I'll use silver earrings)
I can make:
  • Medals
  • Unit Symbol
  • Shoulder . . . things (I'll use buttons)
I will have to buy:
  • Tights
  • Jacket

Am I missing anything? Also. my friends are going as Gregory House and "Simon Tam with a lightsaber." Both are female. We went to the militry surplus store to try and find inspiration for costumes. I chose UNIT because of the red cap. The first friend saw a high-vis Jacket with silver reflective tape, and wanted to go as PC Andy, but she thought that that was too dificult/exspensive, and she already has a "bitchin' " House cane. The second saw a black knit sweater with shiny patches and thought "Simon!", but then saw some wooden dowels and handles, and decided that she needed to make a light saber, as she's Star-Wars obsessive.
-Sexy

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:39 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:I think that the Daleks said that in Army of Ghosts/Doomsday. So it's a quote, not an argument.

I know. My comment stands.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:40 am UTC

Incidentally, has anyone listened to the Big Finish Productions Doctor Who radio programmes with Paul McGann? They're really rather good - I'm listening to them for the third time over. It's not entirely clear if they're canon or not, but they're definitely worth listening to.

Edit: Oh, and also you can listen to them for up to a week after they're broadcast in the UK on the BBC iPlayer website, from wherever in the world (I'm pretty sure radio programmes aren't restricted to the UK, though you might have to install realplayer) - there are about 4 or 5 available at the moment - here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/rad ... ctor%20Who

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:54 am UTC

The night before a friend of mine started his current job, another friend who works the night shift there taped up pieces of paper covered with BAD WOLF all over his cubicle. There are photos somewhere, I'll see if I can scrounge them up.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

satishbhawra32 wrote:If not, who watches "Doctor Who?" Season Three just finished in America. I became addicted to the show fairly quickly. My favorite episode is "Blink".

Don't bother with Season 4. Apart from the library episode, it's largely forgettable and the "companion" was so annoying, the writers decided to dispose of her in the most vindictive way possible without actually killing her.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

...that's a spambot, you know.

Also, Donna was my favorite companion. >:|
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Delalyra wrote:...that's a spambot, you know.

Also, Donna was my favorite companion. >:|

I don't have a favorite companion, but Donna was awesome! She's been the only companion so far that hasn't tried to jump Tennant, which is an A++ in my book. (Not that I don't like Tennant, he's gorgeous, but seriously, everyone? Just stop. It's getting a bit old. Yes, he's a pretty-boy. We got it.)

Also, the library episodes (Silence in the Library/Forests of the Dead) were not the only good things about season four. There was Fires of Pompeii, Planet of the Ood, MIDNIGHT, Turn Left (which might not have been great, but I'm a fan of Alternate Timeline stories). Midnight was brilliant, just listening to the theme can give you shivers.

Also, show of hands (hehe, get it, because you're voting andtyping? I's so clever. :P ), who think's the "He will knock four times" is the Master, and who thinks it's the Midnight Monster? Or who thinks that it's "Satan" (Impossible Planet/Satan Pit), or something new? Because there's loads of evidence either way.

Reasons Why I Think It's the Midnight Monster (spoilers for Planet of the Dead and Midnight):
Spoiler:
1) As she was saying that "He will knock four times", they blatantly played the Midnight theme.
2) The Master taps or drums, never "knocks"
3) Right before the Midnight monster captures Skye, it *knocks four times* on the Crusader 50
4) According to the commentary, the original title o Midnight was to be "Knock, Knock"
5) In the episode Planet of the Dead, they reference Midnight, with the "humans on busses, always blaming me" line.
6) In Midnight, Skye constantly switches between saying "He" and "It" -- "It killed the driver, and the mechanic." "He's waited so long, in the dark, and the cold, and the diamonds."
7) People like Tennant and RTD have been quoted as saying that it's not what you think it is. A lot of people think that it's going to be he Master (John Simm's been seen filming), so it stands to reason that it might be something else.
-Sexy

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:40 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:I don't have a favorite companion, but Donna was awesome! She's been the only companion so far that hasn't tried to jump Tennant, which is an A++ in my book.
<3 <3 <3 I agree wholeheartedly.

Your argument seems quite sound to me, though I haven't been watching enough to offer an informed opinion. I certainly hope they don't bring back "Satan", I really think they'd be better off just pretending that episode never happened. I'd be okay with them dragging the Master back from the grave again, though I'd feel a little sorry for the poor sod. :D Also, since I am a little bit vindictive, I must admit I think it would be quite fantastic interesting if Jack finally snapped and killed him. For causing the whole of Torchwood, you've got to admit he kind of has it coming. ;D Pretty much zero chance of it actually happening of course, and that's probably a VERY good thing. In my more sarcastic moments, I've posited that the Tenth Doctor's life will obviously and inevitably end in crucifixion. To be honest, I'm still a little worried. :D

The truth is, I don't care so much what happens just as long as they ditch the goddamn Messiah complex so that maybe I can watch this show without cringing again someday. It's a matter of taste, I know that very well, but the whole "lonely god", "highest authority" thing pressed every button I possess. People I can forgive, but I demand strict accountability from deities.... and I am so heartily tired of hating a character I used to love. Torchwood pulled off a miracle. It's not impossible at all.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:24 am UTC

Yeah, I'm really hoping that 1) Ten gets his ass handed to him in the last episodes, gets soundly beat (not necessarily physically, because these look like psychological episodes, what with the cats list) and 2) that the God complex was part of Ten's character, and that Eleven is different. I kind of like the way that Nine dealt with the whole Last-of-the-Timelords thing, being all indifferent and depressed and morbid. Ten was way more into fixing everything and doing whatever he could to keep his mind off of it, mixed with a want to save everyone, and assuming his way was always the right way.

Anyway, I'm putting my faith in Stephen Moffat and Matt Smith that the fifth series will be excellent.

And back to the Christmas episodes, have you heard the bit where Murray Gold (composer for Doctor Who) was actually crying 20 minutes into End of Time? Gods, this Christmas is going to utterly win.
-Sexy

Phill

Postby Phill » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:03 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:Yeah, I'm really hoping that 1) Ten gets his ass handed to him in the last episodes, gets soundly beat (not necessarily physically, because these look like psychological episodes, what with the cats list) and 2) that the God complex was part of Ten's character, and that Eleven is different. I kind of like the way that Nine dealt with the whole Last-of-the-Timelords thing, being all indifferent and depressed and morbid. Ten was way more into fixing everything and doing whatever he could to keep his mind off of it, mixed with a want to save everyone, and assuming his way was always the right way.

I agree with pretty much everything said above. Tennant's Doctor is insufferable at times. I also agree with what was said about Donna above - she wasn't hopelessly in love with the Doctor, it made a refreshing change. She was also a better actress than Billie or Freema IMO.

Anyway, I'm putting my faith in Stephen Moffat and Matt Smith that the fifth series will be excellent.

Me too! Here's hoping that Stephen Moffat will be able to keep up the quality level. I was watching "Blink" again the other day, top stuff. A few more of those and I will be well happy!

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:12 am UTC

Donna was fine until she opened her mouth and STARTED BELLOWING. Nothing to do with Tate's acting which was fine, but it was one of the few occasions (see also Joey Lauren Adams in Chasing Amy) when a character's voice has driven me up one wall and down the other.

And Is Ten insufferable? Sometimes. But then I imagine most people who have such complete confidence in themselves and their abilities would get infuriating at times. I find for the most part his enthusiasm wins me over, though it would be nice if more people bounced back against him (like Alex Kingston in the Library episodes maybe) rather than just became cowed by his whirlwind nature.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:12 pm UTC

The latest special (Waters of Mars) was good. Over the top on the "whole of space and time" thing as with all of their specials and season finales, but well made.

Spoiler:
You'll be glad to see that the current Doctor is going to face the quality he's been criticised for in this thread (The I'm-so-awesome, deus ex machina attitude).
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:39 am UTC

I put in a little tongue-in-cheek rant on tonight's Doctor episode here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22551&p=1882897#p1882897
It's a little depressing that you can be watching the timer at the bottom of the screen, informing you that you're 40 minutes through the episode and that 20 remains...
Spoiler:
All is being shown to be following "The Intended Path" of the timeline. These Floodites are drenching the place, the rule of KillEmAll is being progressively applied, the euphoric revelation of "hahaa we're not infected, we can fly off this rock!" is getting torn asunder and The Doctor starts striding homeward to the Tardis. And the next 20 minutes could not feel any more cliche/"let's take the Pompeii episode and transplant it to 2059 on Mars". But I guess, there's no fun in having him as the casual observer. Odd really, it's no fluke he went to Mars in 2059; the Tardis has the targeted 'mission' for him. So while The Doctor initially plays it honourably and respects the fixed point in the web, it's the Tardis that's got the dark side and thinks "yeah, let's be a Deus Ex Machina dick!"
But my God, that Cap'n Adelaide woman. Powerful scene on that snowy London street.

I wonder who'll be doing the quartet of knocks then. I hope the double bill will not devolve into *knock... knock...* "DON'T YOU GET TO FOUR YOU B******!" from various iterations of The Master charging after him.
Spoiler:
Perhaps bring back the one from The Flood, the female one who acted as the sudden incarnation of a token high prophet, as she was up to three when she got zapped...
Or like was suggested earlier, Cap'n Jack playing the "Doctor, you're a real d***" card; D10 suspects nothing by Jack coming in to the Tardis to say hi, until Harkness gives a quick rapping to the door on his way in. Hehehehe.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

The preview of the next episode
Spoiler:
has The Master in it. Do want. :D

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:
Spoiler:
You'll be glad to see that the current Doctor is going to face the quality he's been criticised for in this thread (The I'm-so-awesome, deus ex machina attitude).

I've just read this review of the episode, the second half of which has a good discussion of how his behaviour towards the end of "Waters of Mars" ties into that view of the Tenth Doctor's attitude. Worth a read.

My thoughts on his behaviour in those scenes:
Spoiler:
I thought it made sense. His rant about how being Last Of The Time Lords puts him in charge of the laws of time came across as both his way of justifying intervening, and also psyching himself up to think of a way out. (It's also a minor example of what I believe TV Tropes refers to as a "Crowning Moment of Awesome" - or at least it would have been if his shouting hadn't been drowned out by the music!) And then his cockiness afterwards was smugness at the fact that this way of thinking had worked, and glee at the thought that he can now go back and intervene in all sorts of other disasters that he'd previously regarded as "fixed".

OK, his use of the phrase "little people" wasn't the most subtle way of getting across the point that a Tenth Doctor with that much power and that reckless could become a very dangerous character, despite his good intentions. But generally, I didn't think that the Doctor's change of behaviour in that bit was too abrupt.

But there was a big part of the ending that didn't add up:
Spoiler:
Adelaide's logic for committing suicide was to minimise changes to the future timeline. But no matter what story the two other survivors told, getting from Mars to Earth within a day of the accident (without any trace of the spaceship they used) would prompt some pretty big questions. And having a mother who committed suicide on Earth rather than vanishing on Mars could have some big effects on her daughter's desire to explore the universe.

All in all, not a very reliable way to ensure that future history stays intact...

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:41 am UTC

Various Varieties wrote:But there was a big part of the ending that didn't add up:
Spoiler:
Adelaide's logic for committing suicide was to minimise changes to the future timeline. But no matter what story the two other survivors told, getting from Mars to Earth within a day of the accident (without any trace of the spaceship they used) would prompt some pretty big questions. And having a mother who committed suicide on Earth rather than vanishing on Mars could have some big effects on her daughter's desire to explore the universe.

All in all, not a very reliable way to ensure that future history stays intact...

It would be explained by the survivors as a mysterious man who took them home in his weird blue box, and then promptly forgotten about by the world. One of those little curiosities which is interesting for maybe a week or so.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:32 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Various Varieties wrote:But there was a big part of the ending that didn't add up:
Spoiler:

It would be explained by the survivors as a mysterious man who took them home in his weird blue box, and then promptly forgotten about by the world. One of those little curiosities which is interesting for maybe a week or so.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Spoiler:
Swapping a mystery "No idea what happened or why the base was blown up" for a mystery "who the hell was the guy in the blue box"? Plus the government would know EXACTLY who the man in the blue box was.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:01 am UTC

I'm glad to see the show finally realizing it when the Doctor pulls the "A GOD AM I" trope-card. They practically freaking lampshaded it, thankfully. Or maybe it's just RTD's self-congratulatory "Doctor you're the greatest" episodes that have gotten to me.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”