Netflix Anyone

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

davej

Netflix Anyone

Postby davej » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

Didn't see a topic started about netflix within "this" forum so I thought I'd make one. Does anyone else use netflix? I enjoy it alot, though I just got it and need to upgrade to 3 dvds at a time. Anyone want to "friend' up on it with me. My email is david.l.johnson@gmail.com

Aleril
Le Rail

Re: Netflix Anyone

Postby Aleril » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:14 pm UTC

I use it, yet we only get 1 movie at a time as we just got Comcast Cable and DVRing really opens up the options.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:06 am UTC

I sometimes subscribe to the UK equivalent, LoveFilm. They're pretty cool, and are always handing out freebies here and there. I tend to cancel my subscription now and again, then they plead me back by offering a couple of free months. Wahey. I don't use it as much as I used to though, because I never have enough time to watch all those DVDs. Does anyone actually get the chance to watch unlimited DVDs every month?!

My brother still subscribes to it though, and sometimes he gets me the odd 360 game. I don't think Netflix do games as well though, do they?

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:33 am UTC

It seems cool until I realize that I just don't watch enough movies to make it worthwhile. Plus it's kind of lame that the cheapest option that they like to tout around is one movie at a time but a limit of X (2?) movies per month. I'd get that if it were unlimited one at a time per month at that price, but again I'm just not big into watching things.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Malice

Postby Malice » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:06 am UTC

Any Netflix account comes with free, unlimited access to streaming content, including movies and television shows. It's pretty awesome.

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:51 am UTC

Although the online selection currently licks taint. The selections that are good are:

Law & Order, all series, all the seasons, I think, 'cept what's running
Waiting for God
Fawlty Towers

It makes having an HTPC worthwhile, though, I have to insist. It's not unlimited; you get a number of hours a month equal to what you pay for your flix.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:41 am UTC

Malice wrote:Any Netflix account comes with free, unlimited access to streaming content, including movies and television shows. It's pretty awesome.

Not unlimited, at least on my account. I get as many hours of online content as I pay per month for my plan (in dollars).

Still, it's pretty good. I've been watching The Office, Yes Minister, Red Dwarf and so on. Pretty good video quality, passable selection, and no buffering problems.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:52 pm UTC

I recently opened a subscription. I got the usual 3 out, unlimited a month plan. I could quite easily go through a few movies a week, so this plan is quite worth it to me.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

davej

Postby davej » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

I have watched "Night Watch" online and it was pretty good quality video/sound/etc. I did have a few points where it seemed to skip just a little bit. I think I had to download some player for it, which was kind of annoying. I only get 9 hours free a month. I wouldn't go to say that the selection is all that great online though, as it took me a long while to even find a movie that I wante to watch.

I should upgrade to 3 soon, but I live with roommates, and would like them to help pay for it as well. Need to talk to them soon enough.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

I use it. Early on we probably went through 3+ movies a week but now it's more like 3 a month. We've kind of seen everything we want to see. It's a nice price though even if I don't use it, it gives me a solid argument to avoid buying the dvds. The wife still buys some for the special feature disk (like transformers) but our movie buying has gone down drastically which saves more than enough money to cover the netflix.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Malice

Postby Malice » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

Nath wrote:
Malice wrote:Any Netflix account comes with free, unlimited access to streaming content, including movies and television shows. It's pretty awesome.

Not unlimited, at least on my account. I get as many hours of online content as I pay per month for my plan (in dollars).

Perhaps I was mistaken in saying that "any" account. Mine used to be limited in the same way, but is now unlimited. Perhaps they only did it for the "normal" plan and up?

Either way, there are some pretty good movies on there; I've seen at least a dozen good ones, and am currently working my way through Law and Order, with expectations of starting on Heroes, maybe the Office, and classics like Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and Kolchak: The Night Stalker. :D

Before I was getting 18 hours a month and I kept hitting that; I probably tend to watch more like 20-24 hours a month. So it's worth it for me, especially when you throw in the actual DVDs.

Axman

Postby Axman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:23 am UTC

Ah! Netflix is slowly rolling out unlimited online content, user block by user block. Must not be that expensive.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:02 pm UTC

it's probably a very small segment of their user base that would use it at all and even fewer that would use it regularly. The licensing cost is probably not that bad for them due to the small number of people who would use it. They need it to counter Blockbuster's in store pickup stuff. They have no store front but they can beat actually going to the store by having you just stream.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

Grumble grumble Netflix... I would care about Netflix's streaming content if they had more that was worth watching. There are a few decent movies, and a few good TV shows, nearly all of which I've already seen. :\ I used it to watch a terrible old silent movie once, and an episode of The Office, and that's it. If I wanted to see Law and Order, I'd just turn on any cable channel in the middle of the day.

The main draw of Netflix, for me, is immediate access to obscure and hard-to-find stuff, and it's kind of failing me. I've been looking into GreenCine; has anyone tried it?
You don't make them touch!

Malice

Postby Malice » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:14 am UTC

Girl™ wrote:Grumble grumble Netflix... I would care about Netflix's streaming content if they had more that was worth watching. There are a few decent movies, and a few good TV shows, nearly all of which I've already seen. :\ I used it to watch a terrible old silent movie once, and an episode of The Office, and that's it. If I wanted to see Law and Order, I'd just turn on any cable channel in the middle of the day.

The streamed stuff is good for relatively obscure films--there's a large quantity of gay/lesbian movies, a bunch of independent and foreign films, a bunch of forgotten schlocky horror films (I watched Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter a few weeks ago), and plenty of documentaries.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

Malice wrote:(I watched Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter a few weeks ago)
Holy shit, is that one there? I'm so totally watching it now.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Axman

Postby Axman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:08 am UTC

Huh. Newsed.

trickster721

Postby trickster721 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:28 am UTC

No! Stop them, before it's too late! The Internet is not a big truck!

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

Malice wrote:
Girl™ wrote:Grumble grumble Netflix... I would care about Netflix's streaming content if they had more that was worth watching. There are a few decent movies, and a few good TV shows, nearly all of which I've already seen. :\ I used it to watch a terrible old silent movie once, and an episode of The Office, and that's it. If I wanted to see Law and Order, I'd just turn on any cable channel in the middle of the day.

The streamed stuff is good for relatively obscure films--there's a large quantity of gay/lesbian movies, a bunch of independent and foreign films, a bunch of forgotten schlocky horror films (I watched Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter a few weeks ago), and plenty of documentaries.

Hmmm, we might have different tastes. I was very unimpressed with their foreign and independent selection. I may check on their gay/lesbian and documentary sections, though, that might be worth it. Thanks.
You don't make them touch!

livelyness

Postby livelyness » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

Yeah I too was uninspired by their foreign and Indie sections, but the documentry section and the tv section are really what its all about. I'm going through Dexter right now which is a blast, but have watched Born into Brothels, An Unreasonable Man, Super Size Me, Maxed out, Spellbound, and a bunch of other really good documentaries. Its a great feature, especially if your like me and hold on to the dvds for long spots of time.

RaysOfDarkMatter

Postby RaysOfDarkMatter » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:13 am UTC

I loved it while I had it. Then I switched to Blockbuster over the summer when they had free in-store-trading so that I could get twice the amount of movies I would from just sending the disks in the mail (you got a rental from the store for every disk you returned, then they'd mail out the disks and you'd get in the mail the next one from your queue. Pretty sweet). Then they started charging for in-store switches, so I quit that. Then college started, so I haven't had a whole lot of time to sit around and watch movies.

HOWEVER - my room mate just got Netflix for Christmas, so we get movies again now, and I realize how much I miss it. I mainly got movies I wasn't sure I'd like so wouldn't pay money to rent them on my own, but still wanted to see. ^_^ Usually it worked out alright. Sometimes things like Black X-Mas happened. Hah.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:58 am UTC

Girl™ wrote:The main draw of Netflix, for me, is immediate access to obscure and hard-to-find stuff, and it's kind of failing me. I've been looking into GreenCine; has anyone tried it?

My brother-in-law seemed to really like it, but I didn't talk to him about it very in-depth.

If you exhaust Netflix, you might as well give it a shot, though, right?
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:23 am UTC

Bumping this to see if anyone has recommendations for good online streaming movies/TV shows? I HIGHLY recommend the TV show Friday Night Lights. It's filmed like a documentary but it's a fictional series based in a little town in Texas, where everything is centered around their high school's football team. But it's not all about football, it's about the people, and it's very real. Netflix also has a good selection of musicals for streaming, if you're into that. And of course, Heroes.

Now I've been watching The Office (so far, the first season of both the American and British versions). I'm not that into it though, and I'd rather find something new for next month. I think TV is better in streaming format than rentals, because I tend to get through TV much faster than movies (I have a short attention span, and the short TV episodes are way easier for me to focus on than longer movies) and then I'd use up my 2/month much too quickly. I'm thinking of watching Weeds next. But I'm up for recommendations of movies or TV shows!
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

asanisimasa

Postby asanisimasa » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:03 am UTC

I have Netflix (friend me?: superstarved@gmail.com, pm me if you want a friend link or whatever) and have had it for years now. Love it. Their streaming content is really hit or miss, but they're coming out with a lot of new stuff every day. You just have to keep looking and you'll definitely find some amazing stuff, some obscure some not. I just tend to add every movie I find interesting to my queue and gradually a lot of them will become available online, and then I'll randomly watch things that Netflix recommends and find some great stuff I'd never heard of.
Another awesome bit: I set it up to stream to my Xbox 360 through Windows Media Center, so I can watch/browse streaming content from my TV without the need for those fancy boxes.
I use Netflix a lot, for the immediate bigger movies I just go to a close rental store, for the hard to find stuff Netflix doesn't have I go to Scarecrow Video nearby. I've been considering GreenCine, and might try it out sometime, but for now Netflix does me just fine.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

Malice

Postby Malice » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:Bumping this to see if anyone has recommendations for good online streaming movies/TV shows? I HIGHLY recommend the TV show Friday Night Lights. It's filmed like a documentary but it's a fictional series based in a little town in Texas, where everything is centered around their high school's football team. But it's not all about football, it's about the people, and it's very real. Netflix also has a good selection of musicals for streaming, if you're into that. And of course, Heroes.

Now I've been watching The Office (so far, the first season of both the American and British versions). I'm not that into it though, and I'd rather find something new for next month.

The American Office comes into its own in the second season, primarily because that's when Americans actually start writing the show. The first season is basically the same scripts as the British version. Keep watching, at least for the next two or three episodes, see if you start liking it more.

Other suggestions... they've got like 6 seasons of SVU on there, that's a great show. There're a lot of silent movies on there, which is really nifty. Lot of Hitchcock, too.

Also, the other day I found possibly the strangest film plot summary ever.

Pterodactyl Woman from Beverly Hills
Beverly D'Angelo stars as an overly Botoxed, super-exercised lady who lunches and, more importantly, endlessly shops. But she undergoes a curious change when her archaeologist husband accidentally desecrates a burial site and is punished by a curse. Soon, his wife metamorphoses into a creature that would fascinate him: a living, breathing human-Pterodactyl hybrid.

What the fuck does that mean? Is there a normal amount of poison you should inject into your face? Super-exercised? Doesn't everybody lunch? Why is it more important that she shops? How do you accidentally desecrate a burial site? Why does the curse strike his wife, not him? What do pterodactyls (dinosaur) have to do with a burial site (human)?

More importantly, who the hell financed this picture? Somebody, somewhere, heard this pitch and said, "Give that man a budget. We've got a winner on our hands."
This wasn't in the dark ages, before they invented writing. This came out in 1994. '94: the year of Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, The Shawshank Redemption... and Pterodactyl Woman from Beverly Hills.

...I can't actually bring myself to watch it, though.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”