The Orphanage/El Orfanato

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

The Orphanage/El Orfanato

Postby pieaholicx » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:52 pm UTC

This movie scared me shitless. I'm not sure why, but it terrified the living daylights out of me. There wasn't anything particularly scary in it, but I was scared by it. Ignoring that, it was an amazing movie. I think if you can stand the terror, go see it.

One thing I'm trying to figure out though:
Spoiler:
They said that Simon could see the dead children because he was close to death, so was he close to death because of him having HIV, or close to death because they knew he was going to fall and die in the basement.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

yukari koizumi

Re: The Orphanage/El Orfanato

Postby yukari koizumi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:13 am UTC

I was thinking about your spoiler you put in, and well I come up with two theories...

Spoiler:
the first one is involving the fact that since he was HIV positive that is what is behind the meaning for his ability to see the children....

the other is that although he was HIV positive, it could have been that he could see them because they meant to take his life quickly , same with the mother.

I mean if you remember tomas did say to the boy that he would join him and the other children soon, which is well pretty sinister if you think about it as being sort of a promise to be carried out by tomas and the children themselves..... kind of like they meant to take his life by showing him the attic/room where tomas stayed.

or hmm maybe they planned it all along as a means of killing him somehow, or they knew that he would get stuck down their and die....
or maybe they would have just let him die from Aids one day.... but then again didnt the little boy say he would die young or was told he would die soon?

Tau_Zero

Postby Tau_Zero » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:50 am UTC

I don't mean to revive dead topics, but...

I just watched this movie and it was absolutely fantastic. It kept me tense throughout most of the film, which is no easy feat. And the ending? A great twist.
Spoiler:
What do you think Carlos was smiling about? Is he somehow close to death and can now see his wife and children? Or perhaps it's like that one woman said in the help group, how she could see her daughter after death, calm and tranquil, to let her know she was ok.
ImageImageImageImage

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

We just saw this the other day. Very good movie, but I'd expect no less from anything linked to Del Toro. I found it pretty scary, too, which is rare for me. I found the very end a little bit disappointing, though.
Spoiler:
But then, I might be biased, since the thought of "playing mommy" for all eternity is something out of my worst nightmares. D:

Tau_Zero wrote:
Spoiler:
What do you think Carlos was smiling about? Is he somehow close to death and can now see his wife and children? Or perhaps it's like that one woman said in the help group, how she could see her daughter after death, calm and tranquil, to let her know she was ok.

Spoiler:
I saw that as her returning the pendant, like she promised, and him taking it as a sign that she was in a better place.
You don't make them touch!

CHeMnISTe BOY

Postby CHeMnISTe BOY » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

I saw this last weekend and I thought it was good, but quite strange. It was pretty scary and made me jump a few times, and the bit with the medium was quite disturbing. The acting seemed good, but I guess that's one of the good things about seeing fims involving children in a foreign language, you tend not to notice the dodgy child-acting.

I thought it was quite unusual for a horror movie because of it's 'span'. Generally horror movies take place over a fairly short time span (not including flashbacks) to build tension, stick to a single key location to maintain an atmosphere/claustrophobia or they have a very limited cast. This movie seemed to be doing that, up until the son disappears. Then it jumps forward in time, spreads out to other locations and more characters come and go. It seemed almost like two films smooshed together, one of them a tragic mystery about a woman's son who goes missing, the other one a creepy ghost movie in the same style as the famous Japanese horrors from the past couple of decades. I think if they had downplayed the ghostly side of things and made that more into the paranoia of a desperate woman it could have been much better.

One thing bothered me though-
Spoiler:
I thought the whole 'parents worst nightmare' thing turned sour when she realised that it was her fault that the kid had gone missing because she hadn't played along with him that one time and then in her panic ended up throwing the metal bars over the door, that just seemed exploitative. I can imagine people with kids would hate that.

Also, maybe I'm missing something but that bit didn't really make complete sense. It implied that the kid had gone down to the basement after the mother slapped him, then when she looked in there the bars fell out so she put them back, blocking his way out. Then she heard him in there knocking a few times, before eventually he fell through the banister and died. Then at the end when she finally looked in there, the door still had the wall paper over it. Did the ghosts do that? Did they touch up the skirting while they were at it? Maybe when ghosts are involved it's best not to think about that kind of thing.

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:52 am UTC

CHeMnISTe BOY wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, maybe I'm missing something but that bit didn't really make complete sense. It implied that the kid had gone down to the basement after the mother slapped him, then when she looked in there the bars fell out so she put them back, blocking his way out. Then she heard him in there knocking a few times, before eventually he fell through the banister and died. Then at the end when she finally looked in there, the door still had the wall paper over it. Did the ghosts do that? Did they touch up the skirting while they were at it? Maybe when ghosts are involved it's best not to think about that kind of thing.

Spoiler:
I saw it a few weeks back so i may be forgeting detail but I thought that when she pulled back the wallpaper and such she was 'in the past' hence the wallpaper being intact.
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

CHeMnISTe BOY

Postby CHeMnISTe BOY » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

socynicalsohip wrote:
CHeMnISTe BOY wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I saw it a few weeks back so i may be forgeting detail but I thought that when she pulled back the wallpaper and such she was 'in the past' hence the wallpaper being intact.

Spoiler:
I don't think that makes sense because then she would have known about the cellar in the first place. Apparently if you look carefully you can see that the wallpaper didn't actually cover the entire door so it could still have opened, she just needed to pull down the wallpaper to realise this.

irquista

Postby irquista » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

It did indeed feel like two films stitched together. But I don't actually mean that in a bad way. I think it worked well for this film.

Spoiler:
I didn't notice anything but unblemished wallpaper on the basement door - and since she was moving the scafolding it couldn't have been in the past. In fact there seem to be only a couple of things in the film that can't just be blamed on an overactive mind.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”